[comp.sys.pyramid] How do you turn lastcomm on?

KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) (07/16/90)

(sorry if I've missed something obvious here...)
I did a lastcomm and found that the most recent entry was
last week.  Since we haven't been running accounting, I
turned it on, with "accton filename", as the superuser.
Filename is growing, but lastcomm reports nothing new.
(I was told to start accton in the att universe, but
have tried both with no luck).  The man page says little
about where lastcomm gets its info.  Anyone know what
I'm doing wrong?  Thanx.

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (07/16/90)

KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz writes:
   Filename is growing, but lastcomm reports nothing new.
   (I was told to start accton in the att universe, but
   have tried both with no luck).  The man page says little
   about where lastcomm gets its info.

[119] [10:29am] tut:/n/giza/0/karl> strings /usr/ucb/lastcomm | grep / | fgrep -v '@(#)'
`/usr/adm/pacct
4.9 (Berkeley) 9/8/83
/dev
/dev
/dev/
/etc/passwd
/etc/netgroup
Cycle detected in /etc/netgroup: %s.
syntax error in /etc/netgroup
/etc/netgroup
innetgr: syntax error in /etc/netgroup
innetgr: syntax error in /etc/netgroup
innetgr: syntax error in /etc/netgroup
[120] [10:30am] tut:/n/giza/0/karl>

It's getting it from /usr/adm/pacct, confirmed by poking at the
source.  lastcomm works fine here, running 4.4c.

--karl

kenj@yarra.oz.au (Ken McDonell) (07/17/90)

KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) writes:

>(sorry if I've missed something obvious here...)
>I did a lastcomm and found that the most recent entry was
>last week.  Since we haven't been running accounting, I
>turned it on, with "accton filename", as the superuser.
>Filename is growing, but lastcomm reports nothing new.
>(I was told to start accton in the att universe, but
>have tried both with no luck).  The man page says little
>about where lastcomm gets its info.  Anyone know what
>I'm doing wrong?  Thanx.

lastcomm has the pathname /usr/adm/pacct hard wired into it :-)

[ actually is searches /usr/adm/pacct, then /usr/adm/pacct? where
  ? starts at the maximum value for which a file can be found and
  then counts down to 1 ]

You'll have to start accounting with the default file name, else
make /usr/adm/pacct a symbolic link to the place where you are
accumulating the process accounting data (unfortunately, the latter
approach will tend to break the 4am process accounting cleanup scripts).
--
Ken McDonell			  E-mail:     kenj@pyramid.com kenj@yarra.oz.au
Performance Analysis Group	  Phone:      +61 3 820 0711