[comp.sys.pyramid] How to setup backbone site?

bob@perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) (07/31/90)

When we received OSx 4.4c there was a change to the news
facility with a new file called mailpaths. In this
file there is a definition for setting up the 'backbone'
site. No matter how we setup the backbone site, every week
we get a message in the weekly news report that says:

   Can't find backbone in /usr/lib/news/mailpaths

Why do we get this message? We have tried commenting out
this line but to no avail. The response back from our
Pyramid supplier is that Pyramid says this is public
domain software and they don't support it and don't have an answer?

Does anyone know why the following backbone doesn't work:

        backbone          mnetor!uunet!%s

Can this line be disabled?

*  >>>>>>>>>  Bob Pickles : Pyramid System Administrator <<<<<<<<<  *
*  >>>>>>>>>  UUCP : ...!uunet!mnetor!perle!bob          <<<<<<<<<  *

mechjgh@tnessd.UUCP (Greg Hackney ) (08/01/90)

In article <148@perle.UUCP> bob@perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) writes:

>When we received OSx 4.4c there was a change to the news
>facility with a new file called mailpaths. In this
>file there is a definition for setting up the 'backbone'
>site. No matter how we setup the backbone site, every week
>we get a message in the weekly news report that says:
>
>   Can't find backbone in /usr/lib/news/mailpaths
>
>Why do we get this message? We have tried commenting out
>this line but to no avail. The response back from our
>Pyramid supplier is that Pyramid says this is public
>domain software and they don't support it and don't have an answer?

A possible problem might be this:

The code that reads that file uses the sscanf() function, and
reads in strings in pairs of two. Since it can read across newlines, all
data in that file needs to be matched up in even pairs of strings,
even comment lines.

With nothing else in the file, but this, it oughta work:

backbone	mnetor!uunet!%s

--
Greg Hackney

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/03/90)

In article <148@perle.UUCP> bob@perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) writes:
>Does anyone know why the following backbone doesn't work:
>
>        backbone          mnetor!uunet!%s

That looks just fine, other than you must not have any whitespace in front of
the keyword "backbone." I think you need to have tabs (not spaces) between
the keyword and the argument, too. If that *still* doesn't work, then I'm not
sure why; we run the identical software here without problem.

>The response back from our Pyramid supplier is that Pyramid says this is
>public domain software and they don't support it and don't have an answer?

Your supplier is wrong. If you get it on a tape from Pyramid, it's supported.
It doesn't matter that the software was originally public domain.

<csg>

bob@perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) (08/08/90)

In article <1155@tnessd.UUCP> mechjgh@tnessd.sbc.com (Greg Hackney) writes:

>>In article <148@perle.UUCP> bob@perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) writes:
>>
>>When we received OSx 4.4c there was a change to the news
>>facility with a new file called mailpaths. In this
>>file there is a definition for setting up the 'backbone'
>>site. No matter how we setup the backbone site, every week
>>we get a message in the weekly news report that says:
>>
>>   Can't find backbone in /usr/lib/news/mailpaths
>>
>>Why do we get this message? We have tried commenting out
>>this line but to no avail. The response back from our
>>Pyramid supplier is that Pyramid says this is public
>>domain software and they don't support it and don't have an answer?
>
>A possible problem might be this:
>
>The code that reads that file uses the sscanf() function, and
>reads in strings in pairs of two. Since it can read across newlines, all
>data in that file needs to be matched up in even pairs of strings,
>even comment lines.

Yes this is this solution to my problem. Yesterday someone sent me
the code loop that scans the file and found this to be the case.
If the fscanf() function doesn't return two pairs of strings you
get this error message. When this error occurs it's not that
it's not finding the backbone line it's complaining that my
comment lines don't have just two strings.

>With nothing else in the file, but this, it oughta work:
>
>backbone	mnetor!uunet!%s
>
>--
>Greg Hackney

To fix my problem I put the backbone line at the top of the file.

Thanks to everyone who sent ideas and code to help us fix this.

If I had waited for Pyramid to tell us what the problem was
I would have waited months for an answer.

Bob Pickles