[comp.sys.pyramid] Problem porting X11R4 clients to OSx5.0

pmcmahon@ukpyr3.uk.oracle.com (Peter McMahon) (07/23/90)

So I get my X11R4 tape and do the biz about configuration files, point
a compiler at it and it all seems to compile and work nicely, BUT...

I can't "su" from within an xterm.  If I try it says "Password:\nSorry".
Interestingly enough, if I run a script(1) from within the xterm I can
su without incident.

Sounds like sick psuedo terminal characteristics to me, but what is su
trying to set?  Also, xterm _appears_ to be sending all output unbuffered
to the server.  I say this because I'm using a slow X-terminal and I can feel
the gaps between the characters.

Anybody got any bright ideas?

Peter McMahon					Phone: +44 (0)344 41 5015
Oracle UK, Bracknell, Berks, U.K.		Email: pmcmahon@oracle.com

gprieur@pyramid.pyramid.com (Gordon Prieur) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Jul23.124154.19068@oracle.com> pmcmahon@oracle.com (Peter McMahon) writes:
>So I get my X11R4 tape and do the biz about configuration files, point
>a compiler at it and it all seems to compile and work nicely, BUT...
>
>I can't "su" from within an xterm.  If I try it says "Password:\nSorry".
>Interestingly enough, if I run a script(1) from within the xterm I can
>su without incident.
>
>Sounds like sick psuedo terminal characteristics to me, but what is su
>trying to set?  Also, xterm _appears_ to be sending all output unbuffered
>to the server.  I say this because I'm using a slow X-terminal and I can feel
>the gaps between the characters.
>
>Anybody got any bright ideas?

    Did you compile X in the att or ucb universe? In order to be able to
su from the att universe, you need an att utmp entry. If your xterm was
compiled in the ucb universe and run in the att universe, su should fail,
and corrupt the att utmp file. There are various other utmp problems which
could cause problems. See if you have a utmp entry on the xterm you want to
su from. If not, that could be your problem.

    Just for the record, I've compiled and run the X11R4 xterm with no
problems (and no major code changes).

		 Gordon Prieur
      -m-------  Pyramid Technology Corporation
    ---mmm-----  1295 Charleston Rd, P.O. Box 7295
  -----mmmmm---  Mt. View, CA 94039-7295  (415) 335-8533
-------mmmmmmm-  {decwrl,hplabs,sun,uunet}!pyramid!pyrps5!gprieur
--

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (08/07/90)

In article <122433@pyramid.pyramid.com> gprieur@pyramid.pyramid.com (Gordon Prieur) writes:
   Just for the record, I've compiled and run the X11R4 xterm with no
   problems (and no major code changes).

Can you say "cat < /dev/tty" and have it wait 'till you type
something?  What non-"major code changes" were required?

gprieur@pyramid.pyramid.com (Gordon Prieur) (08/09/90)

In article <BOB.90Aug7091403@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>>>   Just for the record, I've compiled and run the X11R4 xterm with no
>>>   problems (and no major code changes).
>>>
>>Can you say "cat < /dev/tty" and have it wait 'till you type
>>something?  What non-"major code changes" were required?

Yes, I can say "cat < /dev/tty" and have it wait till I type. The only change
to xterm in this version was in main.c, where the line

	close(open(ttydev, O_WRONLY, 0));

was changed to
	close(open(ttydev, O_RDWR, 0));

The reason for this eludes me, and I'm not in a position to recompile the
source without the fix, but it seems unlikely that its going to change the
behavior you see. I remember the original article posting the problem stated
they were running OSx 4.4. I've tested this xterm with both 5.0 and 5.1. I
suggest your problem is from an old version of OSx. If you are running a
version 5 and still see the problems, you should report it as a bug (by
sending mail to bugs@pyramid.com).