[comp.sys.pyramid] Small relational DBMS?

kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) (10/17/90)

I am looking for a Unix-based relational DBMS to be used for a
relatively small application.  The total amount of relational data at
any one time will be on the order of several megabytes, but new data
and new tables will be generated often.  I am especially interested in
a system that makes it easy to create new columns from existing ones
using simple mathematical operators and functions.  The usual
relational operators should be supported: select, project, join, diff,
etc.  It should be possible to generate reports sorted on arbitrary
columns.  Most queries will be relatively simple, but the select
operator should support fairly complex conditions.

The problem is that the big commercial offerings like Informix, Unify,
Ingres, and Oracle are overkill for my application.  They are suited
for the development of high-performance, relatively fixed applications,
but I am more interested in a flexible tool for manipulating data that
falls in the relational model.

Any pointers will be appreciated, whether to commercial or
non-commercial offerings.
--
KiYun Roe					kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu
Department of Computer Science

rabullin@athena.mit.edu (Robert A Bullington) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct17.103951.18740@sbcs.sunysb.edu> kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:

>I am looking for a Unix-based relational DBMS to be used for a
>relatively small application.  The total amount of relational data at
>any one time will be on the order of several megabytes, but new data
>and new tables will be generated often.  I am especially interested in
>a system that makes it easy to create new columns from existing ones
>using simple mathematical operators and functions.  The usual
>relational operators should be supported: select, project, join, diff,
>etc.  It should be possible to generate reports sorted on arbitrary
>columns.  Most queries will be relatively simple, but the select
>operator should support fairly complex conditions.
>
>The problem is that the big commercial offerings like Informix, Unify,
>Ingres, and Oracle are overkill for my application.  They are suited
>for the development of high-performance, relatively fixed applications,
>but I am more interested in a flexible tool for manipulating data that
>falls in the relational model.
>
>Any pointers will be appreciated, whether to commercial or
>non-commercial offerings.
>--
>KiYun Roe					kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu
>Department of Computer Science
>SUNY at Stony Brook
>Stony Brook, NY  11794-4400			(516) 632-7675

I write small applications which, I think, fit the model of which you are
speaking.  The Development system I use is called RDM - it is pascal-based,
table driven, portable among a variety of operating systems and affords
a great deal of development power to the individual because of its many
features.  I encourage you to send for the information from Interactive
Technologies Inc:

	ITI
	460 Park Plaza West
	10700 SW Beaverton-Hillside Hwy.
	Beaverton, OR  97005
	503/644-0111 TLX/703920

Moreover, if you, or anyone else has constructive feedback to offer on this
product, it would be greatly appreciated.  I  am new to this business and
would like to be sure I'm using the tools most suited to my needs and those
of my clients.
--
Robert A. Bullington
20 Village Street #2