[comp.sys.pyramid] UUCP failure problems

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (10/18/90)

We suddenly started getting quite a few "SIGNAL 1" failures on UUCP
transfers.  One last night was accompanied by the following message
in the log.  Can someone tell me what it means?

root wpg (10/18-04:00-11903) I/O error (PKXSTART write failed)

We are using the BSD universe UUCP on a Pyramid 9815 with OSx4.4c.

Mark

csg@able (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/20/90)

In article <4590@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>We suddenly started getting quite a few "SIGNAL 1" failures on UUCP
>transfers.... We are using the BSD universe UUCP... with OSx4.4c.

That can mean only one thing: your modems are hanging up in the middle of the
connection. Suspect a bad modem, or somebody messed with your telephone lines.

<csg>

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (10/20/90)

csg@able (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>In article <4590@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>>We suddenly started getting quite a few "SIGNAL 1" failures on UUCP
>>transfers.... We are using the BSD universe UUCP... with OSx4.4c.

>That can mean only one thing: your modems are hanging up in the middle of the
>connection. Suspect a bad modem, or somebody messed with your telephone lines.

Or bad flow control.  I had a Tbit T1000 set to use Xon/Xoff both ways
between the computer and modem; UUCP would send ^S as part of the
protocol and the modem would dutifully shut up waiting for the ^Q that
never came.  This was only happening at slow speeds, which is why it took
me a week to figure it out...

Kenneth Herron