[comp.sys.pyramid] WordProcessors on Pyramids?

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (11/02/90)

What "popular" word processors have been ported to run on a Pyramid 9810?
WordPerfect, WordStar, MicroSoft Word, etc...

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1

law@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Lindsay Wakeman) (11/06/90)

In <511@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:

>What "popular" word processors have been ported to run on a Pyramid 9810?
>WordPerfect, WordStar, MicroSoft Word, etc...
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, certainly WordPerfect - but only (as far as we know..?) Version 4.2
We recently ran a trial copy of this and it seemed to work quite well.
Unfortunately most PC users are used to 5.1. We are unaware of plans to
port 5.1, but if anyone else knows more - please let me know!

>car.
>--
>Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
>uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1
>trux!car@uunet.uu.net          Minix 1.2,PC/XT,Mac+,TRS-80 Model I,1802 ELF
>trux!ramecs!car     "I don't ever remember forgetting anything." - Chris Rende
--
JANET: law@uk.ac.lon.ioe			| Lindsay Wakeman
EARN/BITNET: law%ioe.lon.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet	| Institute of Education

aleiste@APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL (Antoinette Leister ASQNC-TAB-IS 5357) (11/08/90)

Responding to Lindsay Wakeman's prompt for more info on WordPerfect...

> >What "popular" word processors have been ported to run on a Pyramid 9810?
> >WordPerfect, WordStar, MicroSoft Word, etc...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, certainly WordPerfect - but only (as far as we know..?) Version 4.2
> We recently ran a trial copy of this and it seemed to work quite well.
> Unfortunately most PC users are used to 5.1. We are unaware of plans to
> port 5.1, but if anyone else knows more - please let me know!

-----
  We inquired about the chances of obtaining future releases beyond
WordPerfect 4.2 for Pyramid hosts.  The response from WordPerfect
Corporation was that the Pyramid client base is not large enough at
this time to warrant the company working on any upgrade.  Meanwhile,
our user community, who use PC's and also a Pyramid, is already
processing with WordPerfect 5.1 at the PC level.

Antoinette Leister                  |  Information Systems Command
aleiste@apg.army.mil                |  Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

ras@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) (11/09/90)

In article <9011071618.aa04182@APG-9.APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL>
  aleiste@APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL (Antoinette Leister ASQNC-TAB-IS 5357) writes:

>Responding to Lindsay Wakeman's prompt for more info on WordPerfect...

>> >What "popular" word processors have been ported to run on a Pyramid 9810?
>> >WordPerfect, WordStar, MicroSoft Word, etc...
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Yes, certainly WordPerfect - but only (as far as we know..?) Version 4.2
>> We recently ran a trial copy of this and it seemed to work quite well.
>> Unfortunately most PC users are used to 5.1. We are unaware of plans to
>> port 5.1, but if anyone else knows more - please let me know!
>>
>  We inquired about the chances of obtaining future releases beyond
>WordPerfect 4.2 for Pyramid hosts.  The response from WordPerfect
>Corporation was that the Pyramid client base is not large enough at
>this time to warrant the company working on any upgrade.  Meanwhile,
>our user community, who use PC's and also a Pyramid, is already
>processing with WordPerfect 5.1 at the PC level.

We went through a similar experience here last summer, where we were
looking to move all our users to WordPerfect on the PC's, UNIX, and VMS
machines, and found out:

	5.1 (tables, equations, graphics) available on DOS, SCO Xenix
	5.0 (simple tables) is (or shortly will be) on VMS
	4.2 (no tables, equations, graphics, large doc features) on UNIX
	- 5.0 planned late in '91 for Sun4/SPARC
	- 5.0 not planned for other platforms

Other (dumb terminal) word processors that may be worth looking at
that are available on Pyramids and other UNIX platforms are:

	CrystalWriter - (no info)

	WordMARC - we have an old version, didn't pay for Composer+

	Q-One/Q-Office - had problems years ago, but they may have improved

Ideally, we would want it to run on all platforms (Sun3, Sun4, VAX
UNIX, VMS, HP, SGI, and DOS) and be able to import and export
files and able to import and export files with troff, Interleaf, and Mac's
with troff, Interleaf, and Mac's.  Naturally, we haven't found it yet.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/11/90)

In a recent article ras@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) wrote
on WordPerfect:

>	5.1 (tables, equations, graphics) available on DOS, SCO Xenix
>	5.0 (simple tables) is (or shortly will be) on VMS
>	4.2 (no tables, equations, graphics, large doc features) on UNIX
>	- 5.0 planned late in '91 for Sun4/SPARC
>	- 5.0 not planned for other platforms

WP 5.0 for UNIX has been available for the various 386 UNIX systems
for quite some time, and for the NCR Tower. WP 5.0 was recently
announced for Sun SPARC systems (but not for other SPARC systems).
WordPerfect Corp. will announce 5.0 for a couple of other platforms
early next year. An 88open BCS version is one of the first ones.
As far as I know, there aren't as of yet any plans for a port of
WP 5.0 to Pyramid's. But things may change. A version that runs
under OSF/Motif is in the works. This is supposedly a Motif-ied
version of WP for Windows.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se

wlyle@sjuphil.uucp (Wayne Lyle) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov6.084621.7821@ioe.lon.ac.uk> law@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Lindsay Wakeman) writes:
>In <511@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>
>>What "popular" word processors have been ported to run on a Pyramid 9810?
>>WordPerfect, WordStar, MicroSoft Word, etc...
>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Yes, certainly WordPerfect - but only (as far as we know..?) Version 4.2
>We recently ran a trial copy of this and it seemed to work quite well.
>Unfortunately most PC users are used to 5.1. We are unaware of plans to
>port 5.1, but if anyone else knows more - please let me know!

	We run WordPerfect 4.2 on a couple of Pyramid 9825.  We pretty much
use them exclusively for that task.  About 50 users per system (a law firm)
which seems to keep them quite busy.  At this time there is no definite plans
to see WordPerfect 5.0 or better on this version of the Pyramid.  However
there is some wheeling and dealing to make a port available.  It seems all
they have to do is come up with an agreeable cost for Pyramid to pay.  If this
doesn't come to be, from what I can best see is that we would have to wait
until the next generation MIS server (with a merchant chip set) that supports
System V Rel 4. so it is available.  If that turns out to be the case, I can
bet that there will be a couple of pyramids for sale at the firm I work at.

	As for using WordPerfect 4.2 on them, it works  pretty good, there are
some obvious problems with the way it handles complex documents (standard
legal stuff) but by far nothing we haven't worked around.

	I hope that someone from Pyramid see this, and helps make 5.0 a
reality for our system.

Wayne J. Lyle
Dilworth, Paxson, Kalish & Kauffman
Philadelphia, PA 19109
(215) 875-8583

/* DISCLAIMER:  I am using this site (sjuphil) as my only link to the *|
/* 		net.  Any statements made here are not those of my    *|
/*		employer or my alma mater.                            *|