[comp.sys.pyramid] XNS & DECnet

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (12/11/90)

Nixdorf Targon M35/50 w/TOS 3.3.03
Pyramid 9810 w/OSx 4.4?

We have a group of Unix boxes which speak XNS over Ethernet. Ideally, I'd like
to connect them to my Pyramid 9810 Ethernet port and do file transfers and
remote logins. What support exists on the Pyramid for XNS? I know that
SOMETHING is/was out there because of `fgrep XNS /usr/sys/conf/param.c`
and /usr/.ucbinclude/pie/pie.h.

What support is there (via Ethernet) for talking to boxes which speak DECnet?
Again: `fgrep DECnet /etc/makesys /usr/sys/conf/conf.c`
(File transfers, bi-directional remote logins).

We will shortly be running Ethernet TCP/IP between the Pyramid and another
computer. Could TCP/IP, XNS, and DECnet all be run on the Pyramid at
the same time?

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/13/90)

In article <519@trux.UUCP> car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>What support exists on the Pyramid for XNS? I know that SOMETHING is/was
>out there because of `fgrep XNS /usr/sys/conf/param.c` and
>/usr/.ucbinclude/pie/pie.h.

Those are from an outdated interface to a Britton-Lee database engine that
used an XNS-derived network. It wasn't real XNS. Pyramid has no XNS support.

Third parties may have done XNS; I'm almost positive there is third-party
DECNet. Check the PRISM catalog.

<csg>

kays@gtenmc.UUCP (Eugene D. Kays) (12/15/90)

DECnet support for the Pyramid is available from Control Data on a number
of non-DEC UNIX platforms.

Contact people at CDC in Dayton, Ohio

e-mail to rbarker@wrtfac.cdc.com or mccool@wrtfac.cdc.com for more information.

Eugene D. Kays