[comp.sys.pyramid] Mailing the output of a command run from cron

rst@lucifer.UUCP ( 233) (04/10/91)

I am trying to get cron to mail me the standard output and standard error of
regularly run commands. I have an entry that looks like this:-

/usr/local/etc/crontab/evening |& mail -s "Evening cleanup" sysadmin

I know the command is being executed, but the mail is never sent. Any ideas?

				Richard
--
Richard Thombs					      Lucas Powertrain Systems,
Mail:  rst@eg.lucasauto.co.uk			      Phoenix Way,

john@pta.oz.au (John Sims) (04/12/91)

In article <1031@lucifer.UUCP> rst@lucifer.UUCP ( 233) writes:
>I am trying to get cron to mail me the standard output and standard error of
>regularly run commands. I have an entry that looks like this:-
>
>/usr/local/etc/crontab/evening |& mail -s "Evening cleanup" sysadmin
>
>I know the command is being executed, but the mail is never sent. Any ideas?

Assumption: you are talking about ucb cron, not att.

Two things:

Your command line uses csh syntax. cron only talks Bourne shell.

cron tends to run with a fairly restricted path (ours runs with only /bin and
/usr/bin), and /bin/mail (again, on our system) doesn't like -s. Try using
the full pathname (probably /usr/ucb/mail).

If this doesn't get you anywhere, let me know wither by posting or email.

John.

--
      -m-------  John Sims                       UUCP: pyramid!pta!john
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology Corporation  INTERNET: john@pta.oz.au

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (04/16/91)

$
$ /usr/local/etc/crontab/evening |& mail -s "Evening cleanup" sysadmin
$
$ I know the command is being executed, but the mail is never sent. Any ideas?

If you use the cron in the att universe, you will get this
automatically.  Not only that, ordinary users can use cron in the att
universe.  They must (and the superuser ought to) use the "crontab"
command for updating their personal crontab files.

Now if you still want to do it your way, try

	command 2>&1 | mail -s "subject" sysadmin

This is Bourne shell syntax.  The "2>&1" means send output destined for
file descriptor 2 to where output for fd 1 is going.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

pdk@pyrnj.uucp (Paul Kramer) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.215936.27605@newross.Princeton.EDU> tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>If you use the cron in the att universe, you will get this
>automatically.  Not only that, ordinary users can use cron in the att
>universe.  They must (and the superuser ought to) use the "crontab"
>command for updating their personal crontab files.

FYI:

If the super user places an entry in the 'cron.allow' file for
that user, they should be allowed to update entries in their
own crontab file with impunity using the crontab(1) command.
If this file does not exist, then they may still be allowed
to use the crontab(1) command if their id does not appear in
the 'cron.deny' file.

cheers,
paul davis kramer