[comp.sys.pyramid] problem with routd on OSx5.1

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (06/11/91)

We just went from 5.0 to 5.1 and now no longer get RIP updates for
external networks from our cisco.  Nothing else has changed that I'm
aware of.  If I run routed with -t, the only responses I can see are
from gateways in /etc/gateways.  Then it just spits out "SIOCDELRT:
No such process" every now and then.  We have a cisco through which
we get to the world, but no updates are coming from it, though other
machines on our net receive updates regularly.

Thanx for any hints,

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) (06/11/91)

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:
>We just went from 5.0 to 5.1 and now no longer get RIP updates for
>external networks from our cisco.

How perculiar! We've not been able to get RIP updates (after the
first) from our Welfleet from OSx 4.4c to 5.1 (though we skipped 5.0).
A Sun Sparc 1+ on the same ethernet segment gets the initial and 3
minute updates without problems.

>If I run routed with -t, the only responses I can see are from
>gateways in /etc/gateways.

I now have a default route in /etc/gateways pointing to the Welfleet
that hides us from the rest of the campus network. It works, sort of -
I really used to like getting the occasional network unreachable
message.

>Then it just spits out "SIOCDELRT: No such process" every now and
>then. We have a cisco through which we get to the world, but no
>updates are coming from it, though other machines on our net receive
>updates regularly.

Do you get the original set of gateway broadcasts that routed requests
as it fires up?

Let me know if you get a resolution to this problem.

Sean
--
------------- Sean Sebastian Batt - sean@coombs.anu.edu.au --------  .______.
-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----  | Damn |\

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (06/12/91)

In article <sean.676647345@coombs> sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) writes:
>I now have a default route in /etc/gateways pointing to the Welfleet
>that hides us from the rest of the campus network. It works, sort of -
>I really used to like getting the occasional network unreachable
>message.

I've thought about just adding a default route, but shouldn't have too!

>Do you get the original set of gateway broadcasts that routed requests
>as it fires up?

Here's the actual output from a routed -t that ran for at least 5 minutes.
I've not looked at this before and an not certain of how each line should
be interpreted.  Though most of it is fairly obvious, the SIOCADDRT lines
mean nothing to me.

ADD dst 130.123.0.0, router 130.123.1.3, metric 0, flags UP state INTERFACE|CHANGED
SIOCADDRT: File exists
ADD dst 127.0.0.0, router 127.0.0.1, metric 0, flags UP state PASSIVE|INTERFACE|CHANGED|EXTERNAL
ADD dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.0.3, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
DELETE dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.0.3, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
ADD dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.0.1, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
DELETE dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.0.1, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
ADD dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.75.1, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
REQUEST to 130.123.75.1.0:
	dst 0.0.0.0 metric 16
REQUEST to 130.123.0.1.0:
	dst 0.0.0.0 metric 16
REQUEST to 130.123.0.3.0:
	dst 0.0.0.0 metric 16
sendto: Address already in use
REQUEST to 127.0.0.1.0:
	dst 0.0.0.0 metric 16
REQUEST to 130.123.255.255.0:
	dst 0.0.0.0 metric 16
RESPONSE from 130.123.75.1.520:
	[routing info deleted]
RESPONSE from 130.123.131.1.520:
	[routing info deleted]
CHANGE FROM dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.75.1, metric 1, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE
CHANGE TO dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.75.1, metric 16, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE|CHANGED
CHANGE FROM dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.75.1, metric 16, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE
SIOCDELRT: No such process
DELETE dst 0.0.0.0, router 130.123.75.1, metric 16, flags UP|GATEWAY state REMOTE
SIOCDELRT: No such process

>Let me know if you get a resolution to this problem.

Certainly!

Cheers,