[comp.sys.pyramid] netstat shows many finger processes in state CLOSE_WAIT

sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) (06/11/91)

G'Day,

Pyramid 9825, OSX 5.1

I keep noticing that netstat reports many connections to the finger
port on this machine in the CLOSE_WAIT state. There are 7 of them
sitting there doing nothing at the moment. Last week, before our most
recent reboot, there were 39 of them.

Is that going to be any sort of a problem? Should it happen at all? I
admit we're running an old version of finger et al. No support for
fingering remote machines despite an "OOPS! Sorry! Fixed in the next
release," message from Pyramid 2 years and 2 major OS revisions ago.

Hints would indeed be appreciated...

Sean

--
------------- Sean Sebastian Batt - sean@coombs.anu.edu.au --------  .______.
-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----  | Damn |\

avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) (06/11/91)

sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt) writes:

>G'Day,

>Pyramid 9825, OSX 5.1

>I keep noticing that netstat reports many connections to the finger
>port on this machine in the CLOSE_WAIT state. There are 7 of them
>sitting there doing nothing at the moment. Last week, before our most
>recent reboot, there were 39 of them.

>Is that going to be any sort of a problem? Should it happen at all? I
>admit we're running an old version of finger et al. No support for
>fingering remote machines despite an "OOPS! Sorry! Fixed in the next
>release," message from Pyramid 2 years and 2 major OS revisions ago.

>Hints would indeed be appreciated...

>Sean

>--
>------------- Sean Sebastian Batt - sean@coombs.anu.edu.au --------  .______.
>-------- Coombs Computing Section - Telephone: +61 6 249 3296 -----  | Damn |\
>-- Australian National University - GPO Box 4 Canberra City 2601 --  | Fine |/
>-------------------------------------------------------------------  `------'

I think i know the problem :

my plan is a pipe and the fingerd doesnt die when the other end is terminated.
(there was nothing on this end for the finger. :-)

should all be better now.
(I hope).
i noticed the problem the other day when there were quite a few processes
like this "nobody     finger avalon" in the ps listing *gulp*.

I'll kill the pipe ifyou like since the program needs to be executed when
it comes back up (like ircd) to stop this happening.

-avalon

ray@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Douglas Ray) (06/12/91)

From article <sean.676649600@coombs>, by sean@coombs.anu.edu.au (Sean Batt):
> Pyramid 9825, OSX 5.1
>
> ...   we're running an old version of finger et al. No support for
> fingering remote machines despite an "OOPS! Sorry! Fixed in the next
> release," message from Pyramid 2 years and 2 major OS revisions ago.

Is this just a matter of no DNS support?  (I don't know your machine or OS)

You can pick up the berkeley network utilites (with DNS support) from
munnari via anonymous ftp.  You'll want to get:
	bsd-net/include.tar.Z
	bsd-net/getty.tar.Z
	bsd-net/lib.tar.Z
as well as any utilities you want, like fingerd.tar.Z and finger.tar.Z

If your gethostbyname(), gethostbyaddr() don't use DNS, you may like to
rebuild your libc to include the DNS versions in the above files.

						- douglas ray
						networks & comms
						unimelb