[comp.sys.m68k.pc] other sources of compilers for OS-9

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (05/28/87)

In a recent message to info-68k, Bob Babcock writes:

>I find this hard to believe.   It took 2.5 years to get a Fortran
>compiler for our OS-9/68K system.  As far as I know, Microware is
>the only supplier of compilers, so if they don't have it, you are
>stuck.

This turns out not to be the case.  Palo Alto Shipping Company has a
FORTH package for OS-9/68000; OmegaSoft sells Pascal for OS-9/68000; Windrush
(a British company) sells a language called PL/9 for OS-9/68000.  I got mail
the other day from Ralf Stranzenbach saying that an outfit called "Miele
Datentechnik" has Modula-2 for OS-9/68000.  Seikou Electronics in Japan
(*not* the watchmakers--length of vowels is phonemically significant in
Japanese!  The "u" kana is used to indicate lengthening of various vowels,
including "o", so I guess that's why Seikou spells it that way...) has Lisp09
for OS-9/6809, and possibly other languages as well.

Admittedly, you'll probably never read about these things in BYTE or Dr.
Dobb's :-(, but Microware does put out a software and hardware vendor directory
that they'll send you on request.

These are things that I have mostly just heard of--I haven't beaten on them
personally, so I can't review them or vouch for their quality or anything like
that.  (Thus, since I don't have an opinion, I certainly can't be speaking for
Microware. :-)

			James Jones

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (05/29/87)

Oops...I forgot to mention the Introl C compiler, though I don't know
whether they have a 68K version.  I've not used it, but I have seen
some programs written in it for the 6809--there seemed to be some od-
dities (#include "stdio.h" ?!?!), but it was certainly more than a
Small C derivative, and they claimed to generate very fast code.

			James Jones, speaking only for himself, blah blah blah...