Pete

Date:  02-Jun-87 22:29 PDT
From:  Kevin Darling [73117,1375]
Subj:  My UseNet Response

Pete, will you post this for me? Edit if you have to. Thx - Kevin

[I asked Pete Lyall to post this for me - Kev]

> In: OS-9 Discussions Volume 3 : Issue 4, From: ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen, Subject:
> Which BBS's support OS9?
>
> Mike writes:
>
> Delphi has the advantage of being cheaper (especially at 1200 baud, no
> surcharge), and being officially supported by Rainbow magazine.  All the
> Rainbow editors and staffers are on Delphi almost every night, including Kevin
> Darling, Steve Bjork, and Marty Goodman.  (Of course CIS has its heavy hitters
> too, like Pete Lyall and others.)

Thanks for the mention, Mike! However, in no way am I a Rainbow staffer, and in
fact, I cruise by Delphi simply to pass on info and help that they might
otherwise NEVER see or know of.

The CIS (CompuServe) OS9 forum is quite simply the only spot for a true OS9er
to be. It's been the place for years, and it's where you'll find the most info,
source code, quality subjects and messages, and people.

Delphi has only Greg Law, the SysOp (who still comes to CIS).

CIS has the likes of Carl Kreider, Pete Lyall, Greg Morse, James Jones, Dave
Kaleita, George Brickner and so many other software/hardware people that I
can't name them all. You can find Frank Hogg and others there. You'll also find
that some Tandy and MW employees are on (unofficially, alas!), but they do
listen and I've seen suggestions implemented.

Delphi is what I'd call a "backwater forum". Most of it's tiny data library
originally came from the CIS OS9 forum. Many of the questions I've seen there
(and on UseNet) have been or could have been answered on CIS up to months ago.
For example, the complete set of display codes for the CC3 L-II windows was
posted there (by me) back on Christmas.

Yes, Delphi is cheaper right now at 1200. CIS has nighttime rates 24 hours a
day. Delphi might be easier reading for an OS9 novice. CIS might have better

The crux answer is: you get what you pay for in this case.

Mike, you are right about not splitting up OS9 between too many forums. We do
of course need these outposts (like Bix, Delphi) to get the word out. However,
in this case, the word should be, "go to CompuServe's OS9 forum".

Thanks for listening. - Kevin Darling (OS9 UG Secretary)

--
                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!pete
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Forum Sysop)
OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)
Phone:      (818)-706-5693 (work 9-5 PST)

EATON Corp, IMSD, 31717 La Tienda Dr., Westlake Village, Ca. 91359