[comp.sys.m68k.pc] hard disk tool needed for os-9

PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) (06/26/87)

I just  installed  a replacement  hard  disk  in  a Mizar  system
running OS-9/68K.  The manufacturer's  tests show one bad sector,
but this is not detected  by the verify  stage of format,  so the
sector is not locked out.  Mizar's documentation  says to use the
Mizar  badsector  utility  in a case like this, but it turns  out
that  they  haven't  yet  written  this  utility,  and  can  only
recommend  that I run format  repeatedly  in hopes  that  it will
eventually  find the bad spot.  I could easily  see wasting  more
than  a man-day  learning  enough  about  the file structure  and
writing  custom  code to solve this problem,  which means that it
might be cheaper  to buy another  disk.  Has anyone  solved  this
problem already?  Reasonable solutions would be to figure out the
mapping  between head/cylinder  number and OS-9 sector number and
fiddle  with the bit map, or thoroughly  test all the unallocated
disk sectors and leave a read-only file on top of any bad sectors
found.

Thanks for any suggestions.

berger@datacube.UUCP (06/26/87)

This should be considered a bug. There should be a way to enter the
manufactures defect list into the format utility. There should also
be a place on the disk where it could be recorded in a machine readable
form.
				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

pete@wlbr.UUCP (Pete Lyall) (06/29/87)

In article <PEPRBV.870625.215954.A0@CFAAMP.BITNET> PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) writes:
>I just  installed  a replacement  hard  disk  in  a Mizar  system
>running OS-9/68K.  The manufacturer's  tests show one bad sector,
>but this is not detected  by the verify  stage of format,  so the
>sector is not locked out.  Mizar's documentation  says to use the
>Mizar  badsector  utility  in a case like this, but it turns  out
>that  they  haven't  yet  written  this  utility,  and  can  only
>recommend  that I run format  repeatedly  in hopes  that  it will
>eventually  find the bad spot.  I could easily  see wasting  more
>than  a man-day  learning  enough  about  the file structure  and
>writing  custom  code to solve this problem,  which means that it
>might be cheaper  to buy another  disk.  Has anyone  solved  this
>problem already?  Reasonable solutions would be to figure out the
>mapping  between head/cylinder  number and OS-9 sector number and
>fiddle  with the bit map, or thoroughly  test all the unallocated
>disk sectors and leave a read-only file on top of any bad sectors
>found.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.

Well,  we have a program written by an OS9 UG member (actually, a
staffer as  well - Carl Kreider) that wrote something called
HDREAD. It reads a disk a track at a time, and then backs up and
isolates bad sectors if a track has a hit. You can use two companion
utilities with this: a) Hooz - determines who the sector's owner is
(if any), and b) Mapout - which toggles the sector bit in the bitmap.
These may be set up in filter/pipe fashion (i.e. hdread -h ! mapout
-z).

Caveats:

a) I'm not sure that this code is truly PD - I will check.

b) It was written & used under OS9/6809 level II, but since it's
in MW C, it should be trivial to port. Carl has both 6809 and 68000
systems.

--
                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!pete
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Forum Sysop)
OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)
Phone:      (818)-706-5693 (work 9-5 PST)

EATON Corp, IMSD, 31717 La Tienda Dr., Westlake Village, Ca. 91359