[comp.sys.m68k.pc] Submission for comp-sys-m68k-pc

blarson@CASTOR.USC.EDU.UUCP (05/05/87)

From: blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Re: HELP!
Date: 5 May 87 19:14:15 GMT

In article <12299718478.16.D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA> D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA writes:
>In searching around, i've found other 68K systems
>advertised by Frank Hogg Laboratory and AAA Chicago Computer Center,
>but they both sound like business systems.

Although both are quite willing to sell to businesses, I don't realy
think there is a large business following of os9/68k.  Both sell a lot
to hobiests.  Both sell systems based on the Hazelwood uniquad SBC's,
and the Gimix 68020 SBC.  I'm not sure who makes the qt20x
motherboard.  You can get the board+software and add case, power
supply, and disk drives yourself.

>I've also found an SBC
>advertised by Hawthorne Technology, which runs K-OS ONE (?!), plus
>features a very friendly price; and an educational board (4k SRAM,
>LED display) from Quasitronics.

Personally I'd stear away from it unless it runs os9/68k or Unix, and
Os9 is better for small systems.

Peripheral Technology makes a 68008 SBC.  GESPAC makes some
interesting looking boards based on their G-64 bus, but they tend to
advertise hundred-peice prices.  (Both advertise in 68mj.) The 68
micro journal publishers offer systems based on the PT and Gimix SBCs.

>	On what are most of you running your CP/M-68K?
I don't.
>Same for OS/9-68K?
FHL QT+, seriously considering moving to a QT20x.

>What magazines carry relevant articles?

68 micro journal is a biased source of information.  (They actually mentioned
Frank Hogg the other month.  Does this mean the feud may be ending?  Does
anyone know what it started about anyway?)

MOTD, the "monthly" publication of the os9 users group, is less biased.  I just
wish it would come out more frequently.  (Rumor is there will be a May issue.
The previous one was in Oct. or so.)

I think microware has lists of hardware and software vendors available
on request.
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa

mhorne@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Mike Horne) (05/07/87)

From: mhorne@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Mike Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: UniFLEX anybody???
Date: 7 May 87 06:57:35 GMT

Just a few quick questions...

How many of you are running TSC's UniFLEX on your 68K boards/systems?
Secondly, does anybody know of ANY books on UniFLEX (C environment, OS, etc.)?
I need full titles and authors, please.

Third, and lastly, how tight is TSC on sources (I heard they are tighter
than... you fill it in), and if sources aren't available, how about objects
for re-making the kernal?  I'm curious about other's experiences with UniFLEX
and TSC.  I'm also looking at this from the experimenter's standpoint,
not business.

							-MTH

Michael Horne - KA7AXD                  UUCP:  tektronix!tekfdi!honda!mhorne
FDI group, Tektronix, Incorporated      ARPA:  mhorne@honda.fdi.tek.com
Day: (503) 627-1666                     AMNET: ka7axd@k7ifg

nobody@COLUMBIA.EDU.UUCP (05/21/87)

From: yoram@cheshire.columbia.edu (Yoram Eisenstadter)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k,comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Query: real-time OS for 68K?
Date: 21 May 87 18:00:32 GMT
Sender: nobody@columbia.UUCP

Hi..

I'm trying to find out about real-time operating systems which
run on the 68000 and are suitable for embedded systems.  Of
special interest would be systems which have the following
properties:

- simple memory protection (I don't need any fancy memory
management, like paging)

- ROM-able (i.e., the OS can be booted without a disk)

Please reply via email, since I don't read this newsgroup often.

Thanks in advance,

..Yoram

Yoram Eisenstadter                     | Arpanet: yoram@cs.columbia.edu
Columbia University                    | Usenet:  seismo!columbia!cs!yoram
Dept. of Computer Science              | Bitnet:  yoram%cs.columbia.edu@WISCVM
New York, NY 10027                     | Phone:   (212) 280-8180

blarson@CASTOR.USC.EDU (Bob Larson) (05/24/87)

From: blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Os9 users group
Date: 24 May 87 07:23:57 GMT

After I mentioned MOTD and the os9 users group here, a couple of people
asked me for info on how to join.  Sorry it took me so long to find
and post it.  There is some good info: The May MOTD actualy exists.
(Due to multiple problems, there was no MOTD since September.)  The
new address is:  (mail sent to the Des Monies address may have been lost)

Os9 Users Group
Attn: Membership
1715 East Fowler Ave.
Suite R237
Tampa, FL 33612

To join, send $25, your name, address, delphi & compuserve addresses,
Computer type, Disk type & format.  Membership includes disk #0 and 6
issues of MOTD (Every other month, hopefully).  You can charge dues on
visa or mastercard if desired.

Besides MOTD, the os9 users group has 56 disk of public domain
software.  They supply 5" standard or coco disks for $6, and 3.5"
atari st for $8.  (8" is no longer available.)  Everything but the
spelling dictionary is available on a set of 9 DSDD 96 tpi standard
os9 floppies for $90.  ($100 when it takes 10 disks, etc.)
(Disk orders are accepted from members only.)

(I know the new address was recently published in comp.os.os9, but the
rest of the info wasn't included.)
--

blarson@CASTOR.USC.EDU.UUCP (05/29/87)

From: blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Re: os-9
Date: 29 May 87 07:06:31 GMT

In article <PEPRBV.870528.182315.A0@CFAAMP.BITNET> PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) writes:
>>> Continuing a discussion of the availability of software for OS-9
>>> Well, OS-9 has a comparison utility...
>
>Unless  it's been enhanced,  that's  another  sore point.  Take 2
>source  files which differ only by the addition  of a blank line,
>and cmp will spit out every byte past that point  as a difference
>because it only does a byte-by-byte comparison.

cmp is made for comparing binary files.  If you want to compare text
files, use a tool designed for the job.  I recomend the version of
diff I uploaded to compuserve (utilities section, downloaded by
75126,723) and just sent to the users group, but there is also a
program named tcmp available from the users group.  (Diff has two
problems: memory hungry and slow.  The output is very close to the
unix diff program, and can be fed to patch.) Is there enough demand
for it to make it worth posting?

My main problem with os9 is the bugs I find, but this doesn't differ
much from any other operating system/compiler that I have used.  (On
some systems the documented misfeatures exceed the pain of the bugs:
Who could put up with a system that has 16 bit addresses for some
instructions, 18 bit for others, and does bank swapping based on the
17th and 18th address bits to claim a 1 megabyte address range?  (for
those fortunate enough to not know the architectual bogosity, it's
known as the intel 80x86 family.)) At least at microware there is
someone there who listens to my complaints and tries to get the bugs
fixed for the next release.

--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa
Uucp: (several backbone sites)!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!castor.usc.edu!blarson
			seismo!cit-vax!usc-oberon!castor.usc.edu!blarson

mknox@NGP.UTEXAS.EDU (Margaret H. Knox) (05/31/87)

Our old standby CP/M-68K could be used for the two requirements
you list (it can be made ROMable, and it support the USER/SUPERVISOR
memory protection).  Biggest advantage is that it has support
languages and products, and is easily customizable.

If you need TRUE real-time support, however, [multi-level task
priorities, multi-tasking, fancy intertask communication] you should
investigate pSOS (by Software Components Group, if memory serves).
It is a small (around 8k) kernal OS designed especially for embedded
applications.  I have been quite pleased with it.

Ugodot@jplgodo.UUCP.UUCP (06/04/87)

From: pete@wlbr.UUCP (Pete Lyall)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.os.os9
Subject: OS9 BBS's/Forums
Date: 3 Jun 87 22:49:51 GMT

I am posting this to the NET for Kevin Darling, who has no direct
USENET access.

Pete

Date:  02-Jun-87 22:29 PDT
From:  Kevin Darling [73117,1375]
Subj:  My UseNet Response

Pete, will you post this for me? Edit if you have to. Thx - Kevin

[I asked Pete Lyall to post this for me - Kev]

> In: OS-9 Discussions Volume 3 : Issue 4, From: ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen, Subject:
> Which BBS's support OS9?
>
> Mike writes:
>
> Delphi has the advantage of being cheaper (especially at 1200 baud, no
> surcharge), and being officially supported by Rainbow magazine.  All the
> Rainbow editors and staffers are on Delphi almost every night, including Kevin
> Darling, Steve Bjork, and Marty Goodman.  (Of course CIS has its heavy hitters
> too, like Pete Lyall and others.)

Thanks for the mention, Mike! However, in no way am I a Rainbow staffer, and in
fact, I cruise by Delphi simply to pass on info and help that they might
otherwise NEVER see or know of.

The CIS (CompuServe) OS9 forum is quite simply the only spot for a true OS9er
to be. It's been the place for years, and it's where you'll find the most info,
source code, quality subjects and messages, and people.

Delphi has only Greg Law, the SysOp (who still comes to CIS).

CIS has the likes of Carl Kreider, Pete Lyall, Greg Morse, James Jones, Dave
Kaleita, George Brickner and so many other software/hardware people that I
can't name them all. You can find Frank Hogg and others there. You'll also find
that some Tandy and MW employees are on (unofficially, alas!), but they do
listen and I've seen suggestions implemented.

Delphi is what I'd call a "backwater forum". Most of it's tiny data library
originally came from the CIS OS9 forum. Many of the questions I've seen there
(and on UseNet) have been or could have been answered on CIS up to months ago.
For example, the complete set of display codes for the CC3 L-II windows was
posted there (by me) back on Christmas.

Yes, Delphi is cheaper right now at 1200. CIS has nighttime rates 24 hours a
day. Delphi might be easier reading for an OS9 novice. CIS might have better

The crux answer is: you get what you pay for in this case.

Mike, you are right about not splitting up OS9 between too many forums. We do
of course need these outposts (like Bix, Delphi) to get the word out. However,
in this case, the word should be, "go to CompuServe's OS9 forum".

Thanks for listening. - Kevin Darling (OS9 UG Secretary)

--
                                                   Pete Lyall

Usenet:     {trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, vortex}!wlbr!pete
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Forum Sysop)
OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)
Phone:      (818)-706-5693 (work 9-5 PST)

EATON Corp, IMSD, 31717 La Tienda Dr., Westlake Village, Ca. 91359

UUCP@genat.UUCP (06/05/87)

From: avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.sys.m6809
Subject: 68000 OS-9 Computer System for Sale
Date: 4 Jun 87 17:30:28 GMT

              Multiuser Multitasking Computer for Sale

	One Year Old QT Plus 2 System Running OS-9/68000

Hardware Configuration:

1. 1 Motorola 68000 MPU running at 10 MHz (Uni-Quad single board computer).
2. 1 Mbyte Random Access Memory.
3. 4 RS-232-C serial ports (jumper selectable speeds 300-19200 baud).
4. 2 Parallel printer ports - centronics compatible.
5. 2 1/2 height double sided 96tpi floppy drives (supports up to 4 drives).
6. 5Mb Hard disk (controller supports up to two SCSI drives of any size)
7. 8 bit I/O expansion port supports up to 32 I/O channels.

Software Included (binaries):

1. OS-9/68000 Multitasking Multiuser Operating System from Microware Systems.
      Includes Assembler/Linker/Symbolic debugger and standard utilities.
2. The Stylograph Software package Word processor/Mail merge/Spell checker.
3. DynaCalc electronic spread sheet.
4. MicroEmacs - Multi window text editor.
5. Microware 68000 C Compiler.
6. Microware 68000 Pascal Compiler.
7. Microware 68000 Basic09 compiler/interpreter
8. OSKTeX - TeX/LaTeX/SliTeX type setting system.
9. Ram disk software.

Software Included (sources):

1. Kernel functions and device drivers
	a. Boot PROMS.
	b. Hard disk (SCSI) interface.
	c. Floppy disk interface.
	d. Printer (parallel) interface.

2. Applications.
	a. MicroEmacs multi window text editor.
	b. Kermit terminal emulator with file transfer (simple version).
	d. TeX macros and printer driver for epson (DVI to LaserJET-II driver is
	   is available for the right price).

Manuals:
	OS-9/68000 Operating System User's Manual.
	OS-9/68000 Operating System Technical Manual.
	OS-9/68000 Macro Assembler/Editor/Debugger Manual.
	OS-9/68000 Basic09/68000 Programmers Language Reference manual.
	OS-9/68000 C Complier User's Manual.
	OS-9/68000 Pascal Programmers Language User's Manual
	Stylograph User's Manual.
	Dynacalc User's Manual.
	OMTI 3100 SCSI Disk Controller Manual
	QT+2 Installation manual.

Cost:
	Asking $2995 U.S. for complete system.

Contact:

	Call (416)667-9898 (Home)
         (416)736-5359 (Work)

	Ask for Avy.

root@watmath.waterloo.EDU (The Super-User) (06/06/87)

From: avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.sys.m6809
Date: 4 Jun 87 17:30:28 GMT

uucp@tmsoft.UUCP (06/06/87)

From: avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.sys.m6809
Date: 4 Jun 87 17:30:28 GMT

ean@garfield.UUCP.UUCP (06/06/87)

From: avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.sys.m6809
Date: 4 Jun 87 17:30:28 GMT

news@nrcaer.UUCP.UUCP (06/07/87)

From: avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc,comp.sys.m6809
Date: 4 Jun 87 17:30:28 GMT

kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) (06/11/87)

From: kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.att,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Protection from bad power
Date: 11 Jun 87 16:49:24 GMT

I have recently moved to a location which seems to have some
nasty power characteristics.  I currently have an AT&T 6300-Plus
machine, and may be adding another UNIX box soon.  So, two
questions:
	Is there something specific I can do to make the system
	recover from power outages in a clean fashion?

	What kind of power protection do I need, what are good
	products?

Thanx,  Kris Kugel
	{hao,nbires,ihnp4}!stcvax!stc-aut!kak
	{hao,nbires,wldrdg}!hicntry!kak

root@jplgodo.UUCP (0000-Admin(0000)) (06/29/87)

From: pete@wlbr.UUCP (Pete Lyall)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Re: hard disk tool needed for os-9
Date: 29 Jun 87 19:43:18 GMT

In article <PEPRBV.870625.215954.A0@CFAAMP.BITNET> PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) writes:
>I just  installed  a replacement  hard  disk  in  a Mizar  system
>running OS-9/68K.  The manufacturer's  tests show one bad sector,
>but this is not detected  by the verify  stage of format,  so the
>sector is not locked out.  Mizar's documentation  says to use the
>Mizar  badsector  utility  in a case like this, but it turns  out
>that  they  haven't  yet  written  this  utility,  and  can  only
>recommend  that I run format  repeatedly  in hopes  that  it will
>eventually  find the bad spot.  I could easily  see wasting  more
>than  a man-day  learning  enough  about  the file structure  and
>writing  custom  code to solve this problem,  which means that it
>might be cheaper  to buy another  disk.  Has anyone  solved  this
>problem already?  Reasonable solutions would be to figure out the
>mapping  between head/cylinder  number and OS-9 sector number and
>fiddle  with the bit map, or thoroughly  test all the unallocated
>disk sectors and leave a read-only file on top of any bad sectors
>found.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.

Well,  we have a program written by an OS9 UG member (actually, a
staffer as  well - Carl Kreider) that wrote something called
HDREAD. It reads a disk a track at a time, and then backs up and
isolates bad sectors if a track has a hit. You can use two companion
utilities with this: a) Hooz - determines who the sector's owner is
(if any), and b) Mapout - which toggles the sector bit in the bitmap.
These may be set up in filter/pipe fashion (i.e. hdread -h ! mapout
-z).

Caveats:

a) I'm not sure that this code is truly PD - I will check.

b) It was written & used under OS9/6809 level II, but since it's
in MW C, it should be trivial to port. Carl has both 6809 and 68000
systems.

--

stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) (07/03/87)

From: stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m68k.pc
Subject: Re: (none)
Date: 3 Jul 87 14:04:02 GMT

I have recently completed work on an implementation of Kermit for 680x0
based systems running OS-9/68000.  The program is completely written in
680x0 assembler, and is patterned after UNIX's C-Kermit.

The program is going to be released next week to Columbia University, and
should be available for FTP soon.  However, if there is another place on
the network (and interest warrants) I would be willing to post the sources.

Any bug reports should be addressed to
{ihnp4|seismo|gatech}|ut-sally|stevew

Steve Williams.

My opinions are my own--they're about all I've got, but they are mine.

olof@sems.SE (Olof Backing) (07/11/87)

From: olof@sems.UUCP (Olof Backing)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m68k,comp.sys.m68k.pc,mod.computers.68k,mod.os.os9
Subject: Trying to install OS9/68K version 2.0
Date: 11 Jul 87 14:21:46 GMT

As this is my first time posting news on USENET, I ask for a certain amount
of tollerance. Anyway, I am trying to install version 2.0 of OS9/68k on my
system at home. I know that it works properly at work, but I would also
like to use the latest version at home, so I can work there also. The pro-
blem is that I will use the v1.2-drivers to start with, so I have to use
the COMPAT-bit in the kernel. When I am trying to boot up the new system I
always get an error refering to exceptionvector #$002C. I know that this
message comes from the kernel, because I have dump'd this file. Anyone that
is willing to help me with hints etc. is free to mail it to me directly.

                                               thanks, Olof.

--
ADDRESS: Havrev{gen 14, S-175 43  J{rf{lla, Sweden
PHONE  : (46) 758 33941, 35516 home