[comp.sys.m68k.pc] ARC for OS-9/68K

PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) (03/14/88)

Has anyone ported the MS-DOS file compression program ARC to OS-9/68K?
It seems like it should be straightforward, but if its already been done,
I don't want to duplicate the effort.
-------
Bob Babcock
BITNET mail to PEPRBV@CFAAMP
            or PEPAP@CFA2  (autoforwarded to above)
other nets     PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@HUSC6.HARVARD.EDU
Snail-mail
  CfA MS 63
  60 Garden St.
  Cambridge, MA  02138
617-495-7107

pete%wlbr@ETN-WLV.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (03/15/88)

In article <PEPRBV.880313.163718.B0@CFAAMP.BITNET> PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) writes:
>Has anyone ported the MS-DOS file compression program ARC to OS-9/68K?
>It seems like it should be straightforward, but if its already been done,
>I don't want to duplicate the effort.
>-------

Well, most of the OS9'ers use 'AR', a LZ packer/compresser written by
Carl Kreider a few years back.

There are a couple of ARC busting tools that I have seen, one of which
is DEARC. This was originally written by Steve Sampson (netaddress?),
who is somewhere here on the net. If you can't get a reaction from
Steve, let me know, and I'll post one over in Comp.Sys.m6809.

Pete

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

HELLER@cs.umass.EDU (Stride 440 User) (03/15/88)

There was mention of a port of MS-DOS ARC 5.12 to OS-9 on BIX.  I think
the port was completed, but am not sure.  Porting ARC to a non-8086ish
CPU is not easy (it is loaded with 8086ish dependencies), so the port
might not be complete and it is un-likely that a port of the newwer
version (5.20) will be done...
				Robert