[comp.sys.m68k.pc] PT-68K: where can I get info about it?

mwnorman@bcarh332.bnr.CA (Michael Norman) (02/08/90)

I've been following this group and I am interested in building
my own 68k-based system.  Some people have mentioned the PT-68K.
What is it, where is it, how much is it? etc ...

Reply to,
Mike Norman,c/o 	                          .... uunet!bnrgate!bcarh332!mwnorman
Bell-Northern Research
P.O. Box 3511 Station 'C' Ottawa,         Cute Saying: "Wherever you go, there
Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7 (613) 763-7717     you are!" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Mike Norman,c/o 	                          .... uunet!bnrgate!bcarh332!mwnorman
Bell-Northern Research
P.O. Box 3511 Station 'C' Ottawa,         Cute Saying: "Wherever you go, there
Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7 (613) 763-7717     you are!" - Buckaroo Bonzai

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (02/10/90)

In article <2124@bnr-rsc.UUCP> mwnorman@bcarh332.bnr.ca (Michael Norman) writes:
-
-
-I've been following this group and I am interested in building
-my own 68k-based system.  Some people have mentioned the PT-68K.
-What is it, where is it, how much is it? etc ...

Please post, i am interested too. Does someone have a phone number for them?
are they on the net?

-
--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex!mgse!marks

webber@ATHOS.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Webber) (02/10/90)

In article <1056@mgse.UUCP>, marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
> In article <2124@bnr-rsc.UUCP> mwnorman@bcarh332.bnr.ca (Michael Norman) writes:
> -I've been following this group and I am interested in building
> -my own 68k-based system.  Some people have mentioned the PT-68K.
> -What is it, where is it, how much is it? etc ...
> Please post, i am interested too. Does someone have a phone number for them?
> are they on the net?

The PT-68K is a system described in Radio-Electronics starting with issue
October 1987 with a series of monthly installments by Peter A. Stark that
continued at least until July 1988.  Referring to that last article,
there is a BBS at 914-241-3307; hardware questions can be handled by
Peripheral Technology, 1480 Terrell Mill Rd. #870, Marietta GA, 30067 [Phone:
(404) 984-0742].  The software it ran was the HUMBUG monitor program
and SK*DOS disk operating system by Star-K Software Systems Corp. P.O.
Box 209, Mt. Kisco NY 10549 (914) 241--0287.  The system itself could be
ordered from Peripheral Technology.  In mid-1988, pricing for the full system
was running around $500.  The Star-K address/contact information is the
same in their ad in the May'89 68 Micro Journal; In the same issue, Peripheral
Technology shows the same phone but a different street address: 1710 Cumberland
Point Dr. Suite 8.

As described in the first article, the system could be modularly incremented
starting with a $200 base:
      PC board, MC68000 (8 MHz ($20 extra for 10 MHz and $70 extra for
       12 MHz)), clock oscillator, 2K static RAM, two serial ports, power
       and signal connectors, IC sockets, resistors, capacitors, and
       other components.
To which could be added more memory:
       1st 512K for $90: included DRAM controller and 512K of 150-ns
                         DRAM with sockets.
       2nd 512K for $50: 512K of 150-ns DRAM with sockets.
       A floppy controller for $100: the controller and related chips,
                            connectors and sockets, and SK*DOS which included
                            editor, assembler, BASIC, RAM disk, disk cache,
                            and utility programs [disk extra]
       Parallel port and clock/calendar for $50: the parts.
       PC-compatible slots for $40: stuff for first 3 bus slots and compatible
                                    keyboard.  another 3 slots for $10
       Recommended 3rd party parts:
                       Baby AT cabinet for $45
                       150 watt power supply for $60
                       AT-style keyboard for $60
                       Samsung 1252G amber monitor for $90
                       Hercules-compatible monochrome text/graphics
                                  card for $50
                       Western Digital hard-disk controller card for $90
                       80-track double-sided 720K floppy drive for $120
                       20 megabyte half-height hard disk for $295.

All prices October 1987, who knows what it would cost to build
now-a-days -- or what sort of improvements one could pull off to take
into account some of the advances in the chip world [like: would using
SIMMS help, how best to factor in an MMU and with which CPU, ...]. If
I understand things right, one could get color graphics by just choosing
from the available PC-boards.  The authors leave the impression that running
faster than 12Mhz would drastically change the design.

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

shepard@UMBER.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Shepard) (02/11/90)

In article <2124@bnr-rsc.UUCP> mwnorman@bcarh332.bnr.ca (Michael Norman) writes:

>I've been following this group and I am interested in building
>my own 68k-based system.  Some people have mentioned the PT-68K.
>What is it, where is it, how much is it? etc ...

Quoting (more or less) from a recent catalog:

	Processor	68000
	Clock speed	8MHz (10 or 12.5 optional)
	DRAM		512 or 1024k (no wait states)
	SRAM		4k (optional battery backup)
	EPROM		32, 64, or 128k
	ROM monitor	HUMBUG (tm) included
	Serial ports	4 (using two MC68681 DUARTs)
	Parallel ports	2 (using MC68230), usable for printer
	Floppy int'f	on motherboard
	 # of drives	1 to 4
	 tracks		35 to 80
	 sides/density	single or double
	 disk capacity	to 720k per drive
	clock/calendar	on board (with battery)
	Interrupt timer	2 (I'm not sure what they mean by this)
	Expansion	6 PC/XT compatible IO connectors

"The unique feature of the PT68K-2 is that is it designed to be
physically and electrically compatible with an 'XT-style' motherboard..."

"Complete systems mount in an XT-sized 'baby-AT' sytle cabinet with a 150-watt
switching power supply..."

"The system is operated from an external full-sized keyboard and video display.
You may use an RS-232C terminal... Alternatively, you may use an IBM XT/AT-
compatible keyboard and either a monochrome or CGA video display board and
compatible monitor (plugged into the expansion connectors on the system
board)."

"A floppy interface is mounted on the system board, or an inexpensive
external hard disk controller may be used.  The PT68K-2 supports the
PC/XT-compatible Western Digital MFM controller card such as the
WD1002-WX2 or WD1002-GEN, which will plug into one of the
IBM-compatible io slots.  Any ST506- or ST412 compatible hard drive up to
64 megabytes can be used;..."

The following is from an article in Micro-Cornicopia magazine, Nov-Dec 1988:

	Partial Kit (w/o DRAM, floppy, DUART, or clock)		$200
	Full Key (SK*DOS, 10MHz, 512k DRAM, 2 serial)		$575
	Assembled (SK*DOS, 10MHz, 1Meg 4 serial)		$849
	"	"	   12MHz	" 			$899

Mfr		Peripheral Tecknology, Inc.
		1480 Terrell Mill Rd., Suite 870
		Marietta, GA  30067
		(404) 984-0742

--------
Hopefully all of this info is more or less correct :-)

	Mark Shepard
	shepard@cs.orst.edu  || ...!hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!shepard