[comp.sys.m68k.pc] More questions about building a 68K system

djh9381@ultb.cs.rit.EDU (D.J. Halko) (02/02/90)

>>> ... $1500 home brew computer turn out to be something useful...

Well, You could always pick up the parts for a nice PT-68K and assemble
a 12.5 MHz 68K single board computer and get the new OS9 68K port to support
oodles of memory... it has a IBM PC compatable bus and will run most standard
OS9 real time multitasking OS packages... really quick machine and something
you can hack with... Add a VGA card and write some device descriptors/drivers
and you would be set!

 djh9381@ritvax.bitnet
 David J. Halko
 If you haven't used OS9, you don't know
 what you are missing!

dbesler@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Darren R Besler) (02/06/90)

>Well, You could always pick up the parts for a nice PT-68K and assemble
>a 12.5 MHz 68K single board computer and get the new OS9 68K port to support
>oodles of memory... it has a IBM PC compatable bus and will run most standard

Or you could buy my PT68K (real cheap)....   I'll even pay the shipping!

Darren R Besler
Winnipeg, Manitoba

eephltn@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Thomas Ng) (02/07/90)

>Well, You could always pick up the parts for a nice PT-68K and assemble
>a 12.5 MHz 68K single board computer and get the new OS9 68K port to support
>oodles of memory... it has a IBM PC compatable bus and will run most standard

Is PT-68K really a NICE computer ? If my memory serves me right, PT-68K hasn't
got any DMA on it.

Thomas

dji@ORVILLE.NAS.NASA.GOV (the dirty vicar) (02/08/90)

In article <2078@ultb.isc.rit.edu> jh9381 (D.J. Halko) writes:

>Well, You could always pick up the parts for a nice PT-68K and assemble
>a 12.5 MHz 68K single board computer and get the new OS9 68K port...

	There's now a port of Minix to the PT-68K, as well.  I'm just
starting to play with this myself.

--
 Dave Iannucci    NAS Facility, NASA/Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\   DARPA Internet or CSNet: dji@orville.nas.nasa.gov ////////

adp@moscom.UUCP (Alan Percy) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb7.130224.13025@bath.ac.uk> eephltn@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Thomas Ng) writes:
>>Well, You could always pick up the parts for a nice PT-68K and assemble
>>a 12.5 MHz 68K single board computer and get the new OS9 68K port to support
>>oodles of memory... it has a IBM PC compatable bus and will run most standard
>
>Is PT-68K really a NICE computer ? If my memory serves me right, PT-68K hasn't
>got any DMA on it.

As a matter of fact, no interrupts either.  The PC bus is really best
suited for memory or graphics cards.  By adding a few diodes you can
add all the interrupt lines from the PC bus to one 68000 interrupt.
We had to do this to get a HardCard running on my friend's PT68k.

He can now use PC modems and serial cards too.

Besides all these points, the PT68k with the OS9 implementation
provided runs reasonably well.  The floppy could be faster and DMA
would be nice, but for the price what the heck.

--
Alan Percy..........................{rutgers,ames,cmcl2}!rochester!moscom!adp