[comp.sys.m68k.pc] MS-DOS to 68k cross assmebler

sorber@motcid.UUCP (Russell C. Sorber) (05/26/90)

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) writes:

>In article <15329@s.ms.uky.edu> "Fernie D. Williams III" <ferwil@ms.uky.edu> writes:
>>I am looking for any inforamtion about MS-DOS systems to 68000 cross
>>assemblers. I have just started looking into this area and have no idea
>>what is available. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

>There is an MS-DOS hosted AmigaDOS development system available.  It is rather
>old and cheap.  I don't really know more than this, but it was released under
>the Commodore name.

This cross assembler/compiler is actually made by Lattice, Inc.
(I used to work there).  They are developers of the first (68000 based)
AMIGA C compiler and assembler.
They also sell an embedded system version of MSDOS->68000 assembler
and compiler not for the Amiga, called E68K. I believe it supports
020 and 881 code but check to make sure (The latest version of
the amiga cross assembler does).  The assembler works well but
the pseudo-ops are non-standard (OK for new code, if you are porting
code you should investigate another product or be prepared to spend
time changing pseudo-ops). The Lattice product used to be one
of the least expensive cross-development products.  There number
is (708)916-1600.

Many other companies also sell 68000 cross assemblers, among them:
	2500 AD software	(Ad in recent Computer Language Mag.)
	Greenhills Inc.		(located somewhere in So. California,
				Pasadena(?),they have developed tools for the
				Apple MAc and probably sell a cross
				assembler from MS-DOS to 68K)
	SDS, Inc.		(located in Downers Grove,IL, ad in
				recent Computer Language MAg.)
And probably many more companies.

-Russ Sorber

bp@BEACH.CIS.UFL.EDU (Brian Pane) (05/27/90)

There is a usable and free 68K cross assembler called A68K.  I believe
it was first published in Modula-2 in Dr. Dobb's Journal many years ago.
Some thoughtful human being subsequently converted it to C.
We used a PC implementation of this assembler in an "Introductory
Computer Architecture" course.  The program ran slowly on floppy-disk-
equipped Intel machines.  Fortunately, I found the C source on a HP UNIX
machine I was administrating at the time; on the UNIX box, the assembler
was very, very fast.  I believe the source for this assembler must be
available at an FTP site somewhere.

-Brian Pane

Brian Pane	University of Florida Department of Computer Science
		Class of 1991

"If you can keep your expectations tiny,
 you'll get through life without being so whiny" - Matt Groening

#ifdef OFFENDED_ANYONE
#  include "disclaimer.h"
#endif