[comp.sys.m68k.pc] Any MPC users out there?

uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) (07/27/90)

Are there any MPC users out there? We just got one to test drive.
Some first impressions...
Where the hell is "more"? Looking Glass is nice, but
we seem to have problems getting the xterms to read /etc/passwd
and use ksh instead of sh. Also, ksh won't read .profile
or .kshrc. Some other things missing are "which" and "whereis".
Of course, I can get these from uunet.  I can't get
nroff/troff or tbl or eqn or grap from uunet tho'.  Anyone know
what AT&T release the MPC is based on? RCS is missing but I'll
have that running by this weekend (SCCS was included). I haven't
tried the office stuff (I manage programmers, not secretaries).
The raw speed looks real good (compilation-time-wise). We'll bench-
mark the box next week. Is anyone out there interested in this?
Anyone want to compare notes, etc? I think I'm gonna like this
box (software-wise, it's a little rough, hardware-wise it screams).
If so, mail to jcm@wgate.com.
					Later...
					John
--
Signed: John McLendon          uunet\ - or - jcm@wgate.com
        (919) 846-7931 (home)        >mcnc!ecsvax.uncecs.edu!uccjcm

jms@TARDIS.TYMNET.COM (Joe Smith) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Jul27.024630.19880@uncecs.edu> uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) writes:
>Are there any MPC users out there? We just got one to test drive.
>Some first impressions...
>Where the hell is "more"? Some other things missing are "which" and "whereis".

Does this mean that the MPC does not have any of the UC Berkeley stuff?
The following files are often found in /usr/ucb:

Mail		fold		more		soelim		vi
apropos		from		netstat		strings		view
biff		ftp		newaliases	symorder	vmstat
cc		gcore		page		tail		vtroff
checknr		gprof		printenv	talk		w
clear		groups		quota		tcopy		wc
colcrt		head		rcp		telnet		what
colrm		last		rdate		tftp		whatis
compress	lastcomm	rdist		tset		whereis
ctags		leave		reset		ul		which
dbx		logger		rlogin		uncompress	whoami
e		lpq		rsh		unexpand	whois
edit		lpr		rup		unifdef		xstr
error		lprm		ruptime		uptime		yes
ex		lptest		rusers		users		zcat
expand		mail		rwho		vacation
finger		man		sccs		vedit
fmt		mkstr		script		vgrind

brian@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Brian Smithson) (08/07/90)

jms@TARDIS.TYMNET.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

>In article <1990Jul27.024630.19880@uncecs.edu> uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) writes:
>>Are there any MPC users out there? We just got one to test drive.
>>Some first impressions...
>>Where the hell is "more"? Some other things missing are "which" and "whereis".

>Does this mean that the MPC does not have any of the UC Berkeley stuff?

Yes, at least to the extent that the MPC is based on System V Release 3.2.
Therefore, it doesn't have /usr/ucb and most of its usual contents.  Some
stuff is provided elsewhere, though (vi, the "r" commands, telnet, ftp, tail,
etc.).

By the way, the MPC is 88K based, not 68K based, so please follow up to
comp.sys.m88k instead of comp.sys.m68k.pc.

--
-Brian Smithson, Manager, ISV Engineering
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Computer Systems Division