Date: 13 Apr 87   13:19 PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
Subject: Re: 128K Rom versions

   There are at least 2 different versions of the 128K ROM in the Mac+.
The only difference in the two that I am aware of involves the SCSI port.
The early version had a bug such that if the MAC were connected to a
SCSI drive which was not turned on, the Mac would not work at all.
This was corrected in a later ROM version so that the Mac+ would function
in this configuration. I believe that any Mac which was upgraded to the
128K rom should have the ROM without this SCSI bug. I don't know of any
program which allows you to upgrade to the latest version of the 128K ROM.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 09:51:15 -0800
From: leiner@riacs.edu
Subject: switcher/word

Ralph,

I saw your note about system bombs with word and it raised my
curiousity.  I have been running Word 3.0 with Dollars and Sense under
Switcher for quite a while with no problem.  I have run it with ram
cache on and off.  I have run it with System/Finder 3.2/5.3 and 4.0/5.4.

Thus, I am curious as to the details of your problem.  I should mention
I run on a MAC+ with Apple HD20.

Barry

------------------------------

Date: 13 Apr 87 09:43 EDT
From: David A. Potter / McDonnell Douglas  <DAP.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Free-Text Database Programs

In a recent issue of Info-Mac, Mark Zimmerman described Tiny Browser, a
free-text database program he's worked up to the alpha-test phase.  I'm
interested in this program -- but am also wondering what similar programs might
exist for other environments -- specifically, MS-DOS and the DEC-20 world
(Tenex/TOPS-20).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  If I get enough information back
I'll be glad to summarize for the net(s).

------------------------------

Date: 13 Apr 87   15:07 PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
Subject: popup menus allow access to Mac menus (big screen users take
Subject: note)

The enclosed DA allows you to access the menus available in any application
via popup menus. It is pretty slick and the only gripe I have so far is
that it is not an INIT but has to be selected every time you boot your system.
Here is the author's description from the help file which is part of the
packit file I'm posting.

  "This desk accessory allows you to access the menubar from anywhere on
the screen. It will work with (probably) any menu in (probably) any
application. It is especially useful on large screens, where it will reduce
or eliminate the painful effects of mouse-wrist and mouse-elbow. It has
been successfully run on the Radius and Mac II (as well as the 512E and
Mac Plus, of course.)"

  I'm only posting this and do not want to take credit for this incredibly
clever utility. The proper credit goes to the author Robert Stromberg
and this is shareware $10.

David Gelphman

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-POPUP-MENU.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 14:34 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: GAME-CROSSWORD.HQX

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: CROSSWORD
Date: 11-APR-1987 12:12 by BWD

CrossWord is a games for 1 to 4 players.  Clues are given by the Mac and the
players is given a user determinded time length to enter his response.  If the
response is correct, points are awarded depending on the difficulty of the word
/clue.

CrossWord puzzles can be created using any word processor and saving the
file as text only.  Instructions as to the file format are included.

Another crossword puzzle game, WordPlay uses a different file structure for
their puzzles.  A conversion program has been written to convert these
puzzles to CrossWord format.  Instructions for converting files is included
in this file listing.

I have uploaded this file for my friend Randy Hunt, but would enjoy hearing
your comments. I will pass on any suggestions or other comments.

Brian

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CROSSWORD-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CROSSWORD-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CROSSWORD-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CROSSWORD-PART4.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-CROSSWORD-PART5.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 Apr 87 11:00:06-PDT
From: Carl Madson <MADSON@KL.SRI.COM>
Subject: Homebrewed 2M upgrade of non-Apple 512K Macs

  For any of you seeking to upgrade your non-Apple (3rd-party upgraded) 512K
Macs to a Mac++ size of 2MB, the following note may be of interest.  I recently
performed such an upgrade on my '512e' for just over $400 using a 1.5MB clip-on
memory board from Dove computer (via MacConnection), a 74F253 mux chip, 3 wires
connecting the motherboard to the Dove board, and some electronics know-how
coupled with a bit of research and a lot of patience.  You'll still need the
first three parts to try this, but a lot less of the last three if things go
well.

The basic steps are these:

1. Pop the Mac case and remove the motherboard;
2. Desolder/remove the mux board at the set of 7 pads on the m.board;
3. Solder a 6" wire each to pads #2, 3 and 6 (mark the other ends);
4. Mount the Dove board on the m.board (proper alignment is essential);
5. Connect the other wire ends to the Dove board near the center '253
6. Re-assemble Mac and try it.

NOTE: if your 512K m.board memory chips are 200ns (i.e., not the faster
versions), you will also probably need to swap the center 74LS253 with a faster
74F253, as mentioned above.  If you didn't do this, Mac may go ahead and boot,
but garbage will probably be left on the screen as the CPU and video accesses
overlap.  Dove took the cheaper (like $1) route of using 'LS253 chips and then
disclaiming any compatibility with 200ns RAMs or 3rd-party upgrades.  Not the
best approach, as far as we purist hardware engineering types are concerned.
But this does mean that YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.  If they won't honor my 90-day
warrantee because I put in a chip that should have been there in the first
place, I'm certainly not going to make any more of a guarantee than that to
you.  However, if you take the standard precautions about working inside a box
with potentially high-voltage components and static-sensitive devices, this
upgrade should go almost like clockwork.  It's definitely the cheapest
reasonable way to get 2MB into your box that Apple still doesn't recognize as a
512K Mac.

Carl Madson
madson@kl.sri.internet
  (old: madson@sri-kl.arpa)
SRI International
Menlo Park, CA
415-859-2493

[
the complete instructions and comments are archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>REPORT-HOMEBREWED-2M-UPGRADE.TXT

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 07:51 PDT
From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Shipping files

I'm trying to ship text-only files from my Mac to an IBM compatable.
While we seem to be able to connect okay, and type messages back and
forth, trying to ship&receive the file with XMODEM only generates errors
and sending&capturing stream seems to get hung on the first CR.  I'm
using Versaterm Pro.  Anyone know of any settings I should be fiddling
with, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

  Lisa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1987 16:03 PST
From: GFA0009%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Programs for contouring data

Is anyone aware of any programs for the Mac that do contouring of data (such as
elevations, hydraulic heads, temperatures, etc)?  I am looking for something
with the sophistication of those available for IBM PC's -- especially ones
that could contour data that were not collected on a rectangular grid.  I
would think that with its high-res graphics contouring programs would be a
natural for the Mac, but I have not yet seen any.

If anyone has written such a program that they would be willing to share, I'd
be very grateful.  I'd like to use it to contour the output from groundwater
models in a hydrogeology class I'm teaching.

Thanks in advance for any help,
 Andre Lehre
 Dept of Geology
 Humboldt State University
 Arcata, CA 95521
 GFA0009@CALSTATE.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 14:22:26 EDT
From: michel jacquemin <jacquemin-michel@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Optical Mouse for the Mac ?

My original Mac mouse has done a lot of good work but I
must say it is quite tired and used by now...

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with third party
mice, especially optical ones (I know only the A+ mouse,
which seems interesting) ?

  Michel.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 16:20:37 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b>
Subject: Re: information on 800k floppy drives wanted

You should be aware that Photon 800 drives have had problems reported with not
working on ex-128K MacIntoshes.  I found this out the hard way.

  Mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 10:29 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #29

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, April 11, 1987       Volume 3 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
     II in a Mac
     Advise on Laserwriters?
     System File Icons not showing
     Re: Macintosh Smalltalk0.3 Keyboard Configuration
     Fix to Microsoft Fortran SIZERESOURCE bug.
     Mac II D/A resolution (2 messages)
     Global blowing away Mac II?
     Re: Servant.  What happened to it?
     Re: PRAM 4.0 has a bad BNDL
     Re: Global blowing away Mac II?
     MacScheme + Toolsmith
     Hard Disk Backup blunder
     Re: Global blowing away Mac II?
     ncr5380 information and help
     Re: Advise on Laserwriters?
     Re: Stock market simulations?
     BREAK in Serial Driver
     MacTerminal 2.0
     MacDraw Plus
     Megamax C compiler
     Mac networks
     3rd party upgrades
     Appletalk to Ethernet
     Studio Session on an SE
     Re: LaserWriter type
     Re: MPW C annoyances....
     Warp 9 Internal hard drive users
     Re: Mac II demonstration software

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-29.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 10:30 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #30

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, April 11, 1987       Volume 3 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
     Playboy coming to a site near you?
     Word 3.0: Styles
     Connecting two MacPlusses to one SCSI drive!
     Re: Warp 9
     Writing Printer Drivers
     MacFortran 2.2: Differences between "link" and "linker020"
     Re: Mac Plus with 256K ROMs?
     Re: Laserwriters and 68000 object code
     Re: What happened to the 'universal window manager interface'?
     Programming for High Baud Rates
     Word 3.0 - Spell Checking
     Re: Connecting two MacPlusses to one SCSI drive!
     Re: new ROMs and 3rd party upgrades
     9 Trk Mag Tape for MacII
     Re: new ROMs and 3rd party upgrades
     DECnet & Macs
     UPDATE:  MAC SE Mouse Double-Clicking problem
     Re: Programming for High Baud Rates (2 messages)
     IMAGEWRITER PRINTER
     Microsoft Word Made Easy, Second Edition
     RSG3 Postscript blocks? (also patterns)
     Re: Programming for High Baud Rates
     Re: Problems with System 4.0/Finder 5.4 and (Re: Msg 18622)
     Re: Disk carrying cases

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-30.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 87 10:31 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #21

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, April 13, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 21

Today's Topics:
     switch box from Priority One
     RE: Re: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2 (2 messages)
     Drawpicture question (2 messages)
     LightspeedC annoyance (6 messages)
     RE: more new WORD BUGS! (wow!) (2 messages)
     STRS Template (3 messages)
     4th Dimension (1st report) (4 messages)
     Spell Checker
     re Installer for System 4.0
     re  Resedit & INITs
     re  MAC+/FAT MAC COMPATIBILITY QUESTION
     re Some observations on WriteNow:
     RE: FILE RECOVERY (2 messages)
     Lotus gets theirs...
     Isn't MPW great?
     MPW printing bug
     Bernouli Box (3 messages)
     AppleShare
     MAC II evangelists
     Prodigy Prime

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-21.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest