[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #79

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (04/20/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 19 Apr 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 79

Today's Topics:
                      control key on new keyboards
                                Re: INITs
                             STR# resources
                                 Juggler
                   MEGAMAX C compatibility with MAC SE
             Updated SendPS LaserWriter PostScript Uploader
                             MPW UserStartup
                     Big Screen INIT for archives...
                  Casio multiple clocks desk accessory
                             Ken's New Stuff
                    MacBillboard 4.0 (in three parts)
                                HD Runner
                       A question, and an answer!
                 Q: printer-drivers for HP-2900 series ?
                   DEC LNO3 Printers/PostScript/&Macs?
                            1st Base question
                      Contouring Program Does Exist
                          A disk drive question
            Some gripes and comments:Superpaint, Optical Mice
                        re: Optical mouse for Mac
                SuperPaint, Aldus Prep, spelling checkers
                            Re: YACC and Mac
                          MIDI software inquiry
         More information regarding the Rotterdam MacWorld Expo
                        Desktop Publishing Query
                       Re: Irreverent Guy Kawasaki

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 13:19:00 PDT
From: John Bruner <jdb@mordor.s1.gov>
Subject: control key on new keyboards

I've been reading through IM Volume 5, but so far I've been unable
to determine how an application can detect that the Control key
(on the ADB keyboards for the SE and Mac II) is depressed.  I
understand (more or less) how the keyboard mapping tables are
used.  I assumed that the extra modifier keys would be passed to
the application in the modifiers field of the keyDown event record,
but the 2-page update to the event manager doesn't mention this.

How can my application determine if Control was depressed?

  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor.s1.gov             (415) 422-0758
  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!decwrl!mordor!jdb    ...!seismo!mordor!jdb

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 14:32:46 EDT
From: "William C. DenBesten" <denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: INITs

PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa:

> There is now no reason to use ResEdit to install INITs unless you insist on
> using System 2.0 and Finder 4.1.

I have not gotten around to trying it yet, but what about putting the INIT 31
that is found in 3.2 into your copy of 2.0.  Then you could use inits like the
new system does.

Wiliam C. DenBesten           |CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
Dept of Computer Science      |ARPA  denbeste%research1.bgsu.edu@csnet-relay
Bowling Green State University|UUCP  ...!cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214  |

There is no difference between theory and practice in theory, but there is
often a great deal of difference between theory and practice in practice.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 87 22:36 EDT
From: alien%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Allen Joslin (Hampshire
From: College))
Subject: STR# resources

please help me, I am trying to create and access resources of type STR#.
I'm having endless problems.  please send code examples.  In particular,
examples showing how to read the ith string in a STR# resource, and how
to add a string to a STR# resource.

any help appreciated.

allen

------------------------------

Date:   Tue, 14 Apr 87 16:15:09 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Juggler

Well, this weekend was a fun one since some secrets were spilled in the
valley regarding some new system software from Apple called Juggler.  This
is what you have been waiting for.

Remember that Andy sold Servant to Apple for a six figure sum?  What was Apple
doing with that code?  They were incorporating it into Juggler so that it
could run the Finder and some other programs just like Servant, but without
all those interface changes that Servant was using.

All in all, from my limited exposure to the program, it seems very nice.  It
worked like it should.  The Finder was version 6.0a and the About box was very
similar to the Show Info graph from Switcher that shows how much memory is
allocated to which programs.  Juggler is a separate application that runs the
Finder as an application (although a special one, no doubt).  It requires some
hacked boot blocks, in particular the version number of the boot blocks was
80 and the system stack was expanded to 193,536 bytes.  Compare this with
version 22 of the boot blocks currently in use.

The DAs seemed to be a bit of a hack, but there were messages saying that it
was a temporary one.  When you call up one of the DAs you get the SysDAHandler
which is a separate program that runs the DA for you.  I do not know how this
would affect spell checkers, but I cannot imagine that it does any good for
them.  They must have other plans that were not passed on to me (as if they
intended for me to know anything about this; or you for that matter).

All in all, Juggler appears to be everything that I wanted from Servant and
no more!  Now if only this thing would get released...

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

Disclaimer:  This is all hearsay and may be as wrong as Ronny was about that
Contra/Iran stuff, but I didn't sign a nondisclosure agreement and besides, I
don't know anything anyways, so I don't have to keep quiet.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 87 07:49 CDT
From: FRENCH%ti-eg.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: MEGAMAX C compatibility with MAC SE

Today, I updated my copy of MEGAMAX C in the Richardson, TX, offices
of MEGAMAX (I work in Dallas). I have a brand spanking new MAC SE
(of which my co-workers are tired of hearing praise), and I am anxious
to start learning all of the ins and outs of my machine with a
higher-level language (all right, you PASCALites, I know that C doesn't
qualify in your book).

Religious considerations aside for the moment, I was EXTREMELY pleased
at MEGAMAX's "desire to please" : not only did they cheerfully give me
the required update (for $15, from V2.1 to V3.0), but, when I told one
of their head systems types that I was on an SE, they ALSO gave me
a disk with the required patches to allow compatibility with the SE!

Turns out that some "unused" register they use for saving environments
(stack frame manipulation, as I understand it) which in previous versions
of the MAC OS was reserved for an unreleased version of Apple BASIC, is
now used for some system function.

Don't take my word for it on the problem: rather, take my word for it
that there may be some screwy side-effects of MEGAMAX C on the SE MAC,
and that MEGAMAX HAS the fix.

This will particularly affect you if you try to run MEGAROIDS  (this is
how I first saw the problem). They will be issuing a new version of
MEGAROIDS with the fixes in it (I'll post it myself if necessary, and
if I get permission from MEGAMAX).

         KUDOs to their customer support (I am OVERJOYED with it).

Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 87 21:34:18 PDT
From: digiorgi@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: Updated SendPS LaserWriter PostScript Uploader

This is SendPS version 1.1 from Adobe, which has one or two
additional features over version 1.0.  The BNDL and FREF resources
have also been fixed so that it displays its (rather nice) icon
on the desktop.

Godfrey DiGiorgi
digiorgi@jpl-vlsi

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SENDPS-11.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 87 08:30 EST
From: Tom Dowdy  <CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: MPW UserStartup

Follows is the UserStartup file that I use with MPW...
I know that lots of people out there use MPW and that most
of them probably have implemented this on their own, but for
those of you who haven't:

This Startup adds a menu to the menubar with items
"Pick" "compile Link" and "run", so that with one keystroke
you can "Pick" the project, make, compile, link and then run it.
I find this makes life much easier over keeping the Make informatio
active in the worksheet.

I also added a menu to go to ResEdit, write and paint, as I find
myself constantly needing those from MPW.

This is a fairly simplistic startup, so if anyone else has
some tricky hints, let me know.

File is BinHexed due to funny characters.

 Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"They say there is strangeness to danger us,
 In our theaters and bookstore shelves.
 Those who know what's best for us,
 Must rise and save us from ourselves."

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-SCRIPT-SAMPLE-SETUP.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 15:35:12 CST
From: Jeff Myers <myers@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: Big Screen INIT for archives...

This is a shareware large screen utility which is especially useful in
conjunction with the Popup DA.  An 800 by 1000 pixel screen will eat
up about 100K of your memory.  Should work with any program which does
not have a hard-coded screen size, although I personally have tested it
only with Ready,Set,Go 3.0.  If $95 for Stepping Out is a bit steep
for you, use this and send in your $5.  Installs like any INIT, just
place in your System Folder -- upon startup you can choose to use or
not use a big screen (and set its size).  Written by Kurt Hebel of
Urbana, Illinois.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-BIGSCREEN.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 87 17:53 N
From: (Thomas Fruin)  <FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET>
Subject: Casio multiple clocks desk accessory

Someone uploaded this gorgious desk accessory to SAGAnet, the
Mac BBS in Amsterdam.  It's meant to replace the Alarm Clock,
but contains much more than just the time and date.

Casio also has 10 Elapsed Timers (each with an editable title),
10 Countdown Timers (also with title), 10 Alarm Clocks (yes,
with titles) and 9 Time Zones (with titles) that show the time
in other countries like TimeZone does.

The whole thing is packaged into a little window that takes up
hardly any more space than the standard Alarm Clock.  It's a
real beauty and a bargain too.  The author, Ralph Muha, only
wants $ 5 for it if you decide to keep it.  And who wouldn't?

 Thomas

 FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET
 thomas@uvabick.UUCP

 Leiden University, Netherlands

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-CASIO-MULTIPLE-CLOCKS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 87 10:05 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Ken's New Stuff

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman.  Files 2, 3 & 4 (HANGMAN9,
BRICKLES7 & PRAM5) updated 12-APR-1987 14:59 by KENWINOGRAD.  Only the
changed files included below - Jeff ]

This set includes most of my shareware applications and desk accessories.
Included are both games and utilities.  Having recently upgraded to a macplus,
the versions included here are Mac/MacPlus and HFS and Switcher compatible. New
features have been added and all known bugs have been fixed.  The "Read Me
First" file contains information about all the files.  Thank You.  Ken.

[
the following three files are archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-BRICKLES-70.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-HANGMAN-90.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PRAM-50.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Apr 87 14:00:25 GMT
From: clive@druhi.UUCP (Clive Steward)
Subject: MacBillboard 4.0 (in three parts)

MacBillboard is a shareware tool from CE Software.

It can make and use Paint-like documents, and contains special commands
useful for creating posters, greeting cards, or iron-on patches.

The original artwork may optionally be expanded, to as much as at
least a small billboard (!) in size.

There is some online help in the program, and a manual available from
the creators.

Clive Steward
ihnp4!druhi!clive

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BILLBOARD40-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BILLBOARD40-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BILLBOARD40-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 87 10:04 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: HD Runner

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

HD Runner is a "find application and launch" and minifinder utility. It uses
the Finder's Desktop file to "know" where applications are, so it needs no
configuration. A scrolling list of applications is presented for launch. Comes
complete with documentation and source (in Lightspeed C). Only works with HFS
volumes, and is dedicated to the memory of the $PATH feature....

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HD-RUNNER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 87 13:26 PDT
From: Chris Yoder <CHRIS@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM>
Subject: A question, and an answer!

   First the answer; The number for the BUICK free-bee is 1-800-87-BUICK. I
called them some time ago, and am still waiting for the disk (they quoted 4-6
weeks, so it should be here "any day now").  It *is* an amusing concept for
advertising, and it *is* free.

   Now for the question; Who makes a reasonable SCSI hard-drive that I can
attach to my Mac + and not shell out the rest of my life's savings for?  Do I
have to get a SCSI hard-drive that is made "especially-for" the Mac?  (This
question because a local Un*x guru wondered if Apple uses the full SCSI
protocol, and questioned whether one could take a random SCSI drive that you
could plug into a random Un*x box and plug it into a Mac instead.)  What about
formating the drive for use with the Mac if I get something that would plug
into a Un*x box?

   I've heard good reviews of the Jasmine (20 MB) drive, and was all set to
buy it when somebody told me that there were others available for less!  What
I'd *really* like is a pointer to a good review of SCSI hard-drives in general,
with prices included in the review.  (I can get to the BITNET archives, but not
the ARPA archives, if they are any different.)

 Chris Yoder          UUCP -- {allegra or ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris
 Hughes Aircraft  Internet -- chris%engvax.scg.hac.com@ymir.bitnet
      Company         ARPA -- chris%engvax.scg.hac.com@usc-oberon.usc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 Apr 87 20:41:49-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Q: printer-drivers for HP-2900 series ?

a friend asked me if I knew of drivers for his HP-2940 (?) printer ...
does anyone know of such?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 87 14:32:36 PDT
From: Mark Frisse <FRISSE@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: DEC LNO3 Printers/PostScript/&Macs?

Info-Mac,

  Has anyone used the PostScript DEC LN03 printer with their Macs?
Interested in reponses both from single users and those who have
used MAC--> VMS--> LN03 approach.  Bad experiences with non-Apple
printers and the Mac have made me wary!

mark frisse
(frisse@Sumex-Aim.Stanford.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 1987 12:31:24-EST
From: koch@NADC
Subject: 1st Base question

Anyone know what's going on here?

   I bought "1st base" and on the original disk are four or five files,
three of which are sample databases with sample data.  I use COPYII-HD to
copy it onto my HD20-SCSI.  1st Base works fine (after I put in the master
disk), and two of the sample databases look good.  Sample number 3 (ADDRESSES)
is garbled.  I trash it and copy it again, this time with the finder.  Same
thing.  The database fields are all out of line and lots of strange characters.
Now I try opening from the original 1st Base disk and it's fine.  Any clues to
what's going on here?  The samples that work don't seem different in any way
except they have different data--but they copy fine!

BTW, I'm using a MAC+ with Apple's SCSI hard disk.

Thanks,

Chuck Koch
koch@nadc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1987 16:49 PST
From: GFA0009%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Contouring Program Does Exist

I'd like to thank those who replied to me about contouring programs.  I'm
posting this to the net in case others are interested.

Computer Systemics, a small software development group in Austin TX has just
completed a Mac-like contouring program.  It is out of beta test and the first
copies have been sold to ARCO.  The cost is $2500.  I was told that site
licenses are available for $4000 plus $800/copy.  The program can handle up to
200 points.  Points need not be on a rectangular grid.  It is apparently slow
on a Mac+ (40 min for 200 points) but screams along on a MacII (5 min for 200
points, and they believe that they will be able to make some alterations that
will halve that time.)   I have not seen this program work nor do they
currently have any demo versions available.  Their phone no. is 512-441-4583.

Thanks to Tony Wilkie for giving me the lead.

Andre Lehre

DISCLAIMER:  I have no financial interest in this product except that I wish
my department had $2500.

------------------------------

Date: 16-APR-1987 08:32
From: (Jeff) Hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: A disk drive question

Hi all!

   This is a question I think I know the answer to, but just want to make
sure before giving up hope.

   As with anyone who has gotten the 512K->Mac+ upgrade along with a new 800K
external drive, I now have a 400K drive left over.  Is there anyway it can be
hooked up with the 800K one?  It's in great shape, but noone seems to want
it and Apple won't give me a "trade in", so what else am I to do with it?

Thanx much.

Jeffrey Hallett
Software Technology Program
General Electric - Corporate Research and Development.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 87 09:23 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Some gripes and comments:Superpaint, Optical Mice

Hi everyone!

  Just a few gripes first...

Has anyone out there who has used Superpaint noticed that if you have
an object in Draw layer, which is on top, that is filled with white,
it obscures everything in the Paint layer under it?  Good, that is
intuitively the way it should work.  White is opaque, right?  Well,
sort of according to Silicon Beach.  Have you same people noticed that
if the Paint layer is on top, Opaque Paint is selected and you paint
say a checkerboard pattern that the things in the Draw layer show
through the white????  White is white, not transparent!  If I want the
white to be transparent, I can select "Transparent Paint".  Grrrrr!

Lastly, a rip on Optical Mice.  In my opinion, optical mice stink!
There are some out there who love them, I'm sure, but I find them to
be the most utterly terrible mice.  Granted that there are no moving
parts so they wear out slower, but they require a special pad to work
and it must be kept spotless or else skips will develop.  Personally,
if I am working at home with my feet up, I will run the mouse on the
leg of my jeans rather than bending back over to the desk (Jeans, by
the way, make a great friction surface 8-)).  I couldn't be that
relaxed with an optical mouse.  I've found that the optimum
configuration is a mouse and trackball hooked in tandem.  The mouse is
better for text selection and drawing, but for sheer positioning,
spread-sheet manipulations, and Missile Command, a trackball is far
superior.  Besides optical mice often rely on orientation to the
optical pad -> pain!  However, if you like optical mice, then by ALL
MEANS go buy one and tell me to jump in the lake 8-).

Note, this by no means reflects the views of my employer - they like
Sun workstations (which have optical mice), but most set traps for the
kind of mice they see on a regular basis 8-).

Take care!

JAH

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 87   15:15 PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM (Bitnet)
Subject: re: Optical mouse for Mac

   I've been using an A+ Optical mouse and it is really great. It is
much smoother than the standard mouse and doesn't need cleaning. The
only disadvantage I can see is that with an optical mouse you need the
mouse pad to be kept at right angles to the mouse, you can't be very
sloppy in the alignment of the mouse and the pad or you go crazy.
Personally I never have problems and think it is great.
David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 87 11:14:56 CDT
From: David Wilson <WILSON/DAVID@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: SuperPaint, Aldus Prep, spelling checkers

Silicon Beach Software has gotten back to me about my difficulties in
printing from SuperPaint.  It turns out the my document fails to print
only if I ask for both smoothing and landscape mode.

About Aldus Prep, Ken Jones of Silicon Beach Software wrote me: "Aldus
Prep is needed only when printing PageMaker files, and the rest of the
time it just takes up precious memory space in the LaserWriter, which
slows it down considerably.  Place Aldus Prep in another folder at the
root directory level until needed.  When printing PageMaker files, it is
best to wait until you have a batch, and print them all at once.  Then
take Aldus Prep out and restart the printer with only Laser Prep in the
System Folder."

> Second, I'd like to be able to run all of the articles through a spelling
> checker to catch all of the typos.  We have MacSpell, but its very slow and
> also seems to have a lot of bugs.  Does anyone know of a better program?

Gee, another opportunity for an ad.  This past fall Macintosh Journal
published an in-depth comparison of 11 spelling checkers for the
Macintosh.  The standouts were Spelling Champion and SpellsWell.  Both
run independently from the word processors (MacWrite 4.5 or Word 1.0).
Spelling Champion ($40) has the advantage of a very large dictionary
(125,000 words), great speed, and the ability to do arbitrary editing as
you check the document.  SpellsWell ($60) lets you check for proper use
of homonyms and capitalization.  My next version of Spelling Champion
(due out at the end of summer) will let you check for proper use of
homonyms, capitalization, and diacritical marks.  It will also work with
Word 3.0 if we can get MicroSoft to send us the file format.  To get a
Spelling Champion upgrade, you need to send us $5 and the original disk.
To order, call 608/833-1777.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 87 07:45 EST
From: Tom Dowdy           <CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: YACC and Mac

Recently someone was asking about YACC for the Macintosh.
Aside from finding someone with Unix source code to YACC,
your best bet would probably be to use YACC on your favorite
Unix box and download all of the C source code and use it
on your Mac.  Assuming that you have access to Unix and that
you dont need lots of access to YACC itself, this would be
a good option.  Someone here used it to write an expression
parser than they then incorperated into their Mac program.

Seems like a pretty smart idea to me...

 Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 Apr 87 00:49:14-EST
From: Carlos A Albuerne <CU.ALBUERNE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MIDI software inquiry

A friend with musical talents has amassed a half dozen electronic instruments
which are all supposedly MIDI compatible (but he trusted New York City
salespeople so you never know).  Mikes, keyboards, drum synths, cables, amps
and guitars make his small dorm room inpenetrable and intolerable for
visitors.

He has now asked me to help him select MIDI software.  My dilemma is that
I don't know where to start.  I'd appreciate any comments about vendors,
available software, digests or pointers to MIDI reviews (any MIDI specific
magazines out there?).  I'll do the footwork if someone will set me in
the right direction.

Carlos A. Albuerne

cu.albuerne@cu20b.columbia.edu
caa@cunixc.columbia.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 87 13:32 N
From: Thomas Fruin  <FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET>
Subject: More information regarding the Rotterdam MacWorld Expo

Some people have asked me where exactly the MacWorld Expo will be held in
Rotterdam.  It will be held in the Ahoy complex; and although I don't know
its exact address, just about everyone there will be able to show you the
way there - it's big.

Thursday the 23rd VAMP will be organizing a "VAMP-dinner" for any Mac people
on the net who are at the Expo and feel like meeting some Mac people in
Holland and some others on the net.  Meet us at the VAMP booth (number 904)
just before the Expo closes for the day, at approximately 4:30 PM, if you're
interested!

Date: 15 Apr 1987 1220-PST (Wednesday)
From: berman@vaxa.isi.edu (Richard Berman)
Subject: Desktop Publishing Query

I am a Mac oldtimer (original 512K Mac) and author (Mac Mail from Aegis).
Lately I've been interested in putting together an SF Fanzine, so I've been
looking into page/document formatting programs.  I bought some books on
Desktop Publishing.  Maybe you can help me out.

I need to be able to:

Have real WYSIYWG.
Do great lazerprinting.
Edit in n columns of text.
Have multiple pages.  Preferably 20 to 100 or more.
Use predesigned page formats.
Run in 512K, no Hard Disk.
Leave arbitrary rectilinear blank spaces, with text flowing around.
Include graphics.  Draw boxes around text. Etc.

There are things implied by the above.  If I have multiple pages with diferent
formats, I would like my editing to propagate properly.  I want to have the
flexability to change the format of each page as much as I need to without
having any problems with text propagation.

Here is a partial wish list that isn't required, but would make life simpler:

Ability to have n text streams, where each stream is logically contiguous, as
in a particular story or article.  These streams may be broken up physically
(e.g. "continued on page x") and these continuations (and the "continued..."
messages?) should be properly propagated and updated.

Naturally, flexible/multiple page numbering.

Preview

Decent operating speed.

mutiple windows on the same file.

Under $200.00

So....

I know there are things like PageMaker out there.  Given that price is a
secondary consideration, what programs (that you *really* *do* *have*
*experience* *with*) do you recommend, and why?  Which should I avoid, and
why?  What about these new word processesors like Word 3.0 that seem to have a
lot of page-layout stuff?

I am sure this would be of interest to others.  All information will be
gratefully accepted and analyzed and summarized for later posting.  If you
have any real information about this topic, please post directly to me.

Richard Berman
Berman@vaxa.isi.arpa
USC/ISI
4676 Admiralty Way, #1001
Marina Del Rey, CA  90291

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 01:26:50 PDT
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Re: Irreverent Guy Kawasaki

In Volume 5 #77, Owen Hartnett wrote:
   Apple's famed ex-software evangelist, Guy Kawasaki,

You don't know how prophetic this was (see below)

   (now some kind of director
   at Apple), visited the Boston Computer Society last night.  As usual, he had
   a lot of interesting things to say:
   An irreverent look at Apple product development cycles:

   Software
     1) Order T-shirts.
     2) Announce Availability

At the developer conference, he added:
   2A) Check first with Microsoft and Ashton-Tate.

     3) Simultaneously Write the software *and* the documentation.
     4) Write the specs
        (aside: This way all Apple products meet specs!)
     5) Ship the software
     6) Test the software
     7) Announce upgrade plan.

   He said something about a
   version of Berkely 5.2 [I'm assuming he meant 4.2

No, that's AT&T V.2, with a few Berkeleyism thrown in

   He also spent a great deal of time promoting "Silver Surfer, a high-level
   relational database from a company in France, which is the next great
   software package."  Apparently, Apple had bought the rights to the package,
   then "wimped" out on producing it, because of pressure from large software
   houses.

Hence Guy's joke.  He wouldn't have been quite so irreverent, but he left
Apple Monday to become president of the company that will be marketing
Silver Surfer.  (I believe the name is Acius...)  Scott Knaster is
a VP of software or some such, and presumably the company is populated
with other ex-Apple types.

Joel West
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww      (ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)
jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    if you must

End of INFO-MAC Digest