Date: Thu, 23 Apr 87 16:58:56 pst
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: Using option as control (IM V5 #73)

In article <8704020557.AA26858@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>Date: Tue, 31 Mar 87 08:38:48 PST
>From: Stephen E. Miner <miner@spam.istc.sri.com>
>Subject: Using option as control
>
>Here's an old Info-Mac article that I saved some time ago.  Thanks go
>to Larry Rosenstein who originally posted the message.  I hope this
>helps (re)settle the issue.

You forgot to include my follow up message, where I pointed out that the
technique for turning off dead key processing was not documented or
guaranteed to work in future systems.

I haven't tried it, for example, to see if it works under System 4.0 or on
the Mac SE.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 87 17:16:21 SET
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171@AEARN>
Subject: BALL & STICK

THIS IS THE DEMO OF THE MOLECULAR MODELLING APPLICATION

           BALL & STICK

SOME DOCUMENTATION IS ONLINE AND TWO EXAMPLE FILES FOR
THE TWO FORMATS SUPPORTED ARE PACKED (PACKIT III) WITH THE
PROGRAM. IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT FOR MAC-USED CHEMISTS TO
USE THIS APPLICATION. IF YOU FIND BUGS (CERTAINLY THERE ARE
SOME) OR HAVE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT ME.
THE PROGRAM WAS WRITTEN USING LS PASCAL.
CURRENTLY THIS PROGRAM BOMBS ON A MACHINE WITH 64K ROMS I DON'T
KNOW WHY, BUT I HOPE TO GET A 64K ROM MAC TO DO THE
TESTING AND DEBUGGING.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-BALL-AND-STICK.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 12:25:50 pst
From: hpfcfc!hpsrla!hpsadla!erik@hplabs.HP.COM
Subject: New SimpleTools with examples (1 of 3)

SimpleTools2 - By Erik Kilk                     (Version:  April 21, 1987)

SimpleTools is a set of C functions which greatly simplify the use
of the Macintosh Toolbox.  For example, to have one of your C functions
execute when the user selects the menu File/Quit AND install the menu,
the call would be:  menu ("File", "Quit", my_quit_function).  This sort
of thing is done for menus, windows, dialogs, text-edit, and the standard
file package with lots of little aids.

Included in this new $20 shareware distribution are:
        SimpleTools2.c          SimpleDemo.c            TinyDemo.c
        SimpleTools Doc         SimpleDemo              TinyDemo
        simple.h                SimpleDemo.project      TinyDemo.project

The code is currently maintained for the LightSpeed compiler with compile
time flags for Megamax.  It shouldn't be difficult to port to other compilers.
The files are packed using PackIt, then textified using BinHex, then divided
into three parts for mailing.  You have to put all the BinHex jibberish
back into one large file before un-BinHexing.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS2-C-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS2-C-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS2-C-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 17:29:10 MST
From: t-jacobs%ced@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: TakeALetter.hqx

STANDALONE DOCUMENT MAKER!

Take A Letter converts text files into standalone applications, which
can be read without a text editor or word processer.  Just the ticket
for on-disk messages, docs, etc.  Very easy to use, but documentation
is included.  Shareware (asking price 10 bucks).  This file was packed
with PackIt III.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>TAKEALETTER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 17:30:29 MST
From: t-jacobs%ced@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: RoloEdit.hqx

RoloEditDA is a text file utility for converting RoloDex format files
to tabular format.  It also performs operations to modify carriage
returns and tabs, converts between upper case and lower case letters
and between "boring" quotes into RinterestingS quotes.  Documentation
is in Take A Letter format; just double-click it to read it.  This
file is packed with PackIt III.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-ROLO-EDIT-DA.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 87 17:31:43 MST
From: t-jacobs%ced@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: MacFug Digest1.1

MACFUG NEWS FOR MARCH '87

This is the online version of MacFUG NEWS, the newsletter of the
University of Utah Mac Users Group.  This file contains issue 1.1 of
the Digest (issue 3.7 of the publication) for March '87.  It is is
Take A Letter format: Just double-click it to read it.  The file is
packed with PackIt III.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>NEWS-MACFUG.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 23 Apr 87 03:01:18-EST
From: Carlos A Albuerne <CU.ALBUERNE@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Software version list

Please replace the existing SOFTWARE-VERSIONLIST.TXT in the archives
with the current version dated 4-16-87 below.

--Carlos A. Albuerne

This lister [Princeton Mac User Group (PMUG)] takes no responsibility
for boo-boos & typos.  Credit - but no blame - must also go to Steve
Bobker of MacUser magazine for doing what no other magazine wished to
bother with.  N.B: It has been brought to my attention that this
list has been posted on other (private) BBS's. While PMUG has no
objection to that, THE LIST SHOULD BE POSTED INTACT - INCLUDING THIS
PARAGRAPH. If you wish to make changes please do so, but better yet,
PLEASE note and forward any corrections/additions! It's YOUR list,
and is simply impossible to maintain without input from you.

AppleLink: A0148
CIS: 70347,3517
GEnie: TOMMACKIE
(or to)
DELPHI: PEABO

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SOFTWARE-VERSIONLIST.TXT

this version replaces the previous verion in the archives.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 87 16:33 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Prototype Maker 1.0

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: PROTOTYPE MAKER 1.0
Date: 23-APR-1987 23:00 by PEABO

This is Prototype Maker, a utility for C programmers which reads C source code
and creates files containing prototype declarations for each of the functions
defined in the source code.  It's especially useful with the LightspeedC option
'Require Prototypes' but may be useful with other compilers or simply to
document the functions in your code.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]UTILITY-PROTOTYPE-MAKER-10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 	Fri, 24 Apr 87 10:13:09 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Jasmine 80

I just wanted to say that I got my Jasmine 80 megabyte hard disk and I love
it.  I would readily recommend it for anyone else.  Of course, after only a
few days, it is already mostly full.  But then, what use is an empty disk?  It
even came with a copy of my Randomizer and some of my digitized sounds on it.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 87 09:26 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: 1st Base question

What version of 1st Base are you using?  Versions less than 3.0 do *not*
work on the new 128K Apple ROM, not to mention under HFS.

Incidentally, Desktop Software, the original software authors, went out of
business, leaving 1st Base version 2.1 (still incompatible with HFS/128K ROM).
The software rights were bought by Template Systems, Inc. (since renamed
First Desk Systems).  First Desk rewrote 1st Base to work with HFS and on
the MacPlus.  Unfortunately, they made no major functional improvements.
Their latest release (version 3.4) has some *very* primitive macro capability
(IF..THEN..ELSE, math functions, etc..).  If you are a registered owner of
the old 1stBase, you can upgrade to version 3.4 for $30 by contacting 1stDesk
Systems, Inc.  7 Industrial Park Road, Medway, Ma., 02053-9903.  You can call
them at 1-(800)522-2286 ((617)533-2203 in Ma.)  You will have to send them a
check and your 1stBase registration number.

I am a registered owner of 1stBase from Desktop Software.  I paid the $30 to
upgrade to version 3.4, and was so dissapointed by the strong copy-protection
and lack of support for the really visual capabilities of the Macintosh (you
can only print in 9 or 12 point unstyled Monaco!) that I abandoned it for
FileMaker Plus, which is really a very nice package.

Paul Christensen

PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1987 10:50 PST
From: HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Epson printer driver

     We have a user here that has a Panasonic KX-P1091 printer that, from
looking at the manual, appears to be Epson compatible.  Therefore, I am
looking for an Epson printer driver.  What experience does anybody out there
have with any?  Do any of them print full page graphics from MacPaint or Draw
or whatever?  Any experience with Softstyle's Epstart?  (BTW, if there is
anything available in the archives, I can't get it because I'm at a BITNET
site that doesn't support interactive messages; so, if some kind soul wanted
to send me something I would be grateful.)

     I'd be happy to post a summary if there is sufficient response.

Michael W. Fleming, Instructional Computing Consultant, Computer Services
California State College, 9001 Stockdale Hwy, Bakersfield, Ca. 93311-1099
Business Telephone: (805) 833-2309  -or-  (805) 833-2115  {message}
Home: 2408 Barnett St., Bakersfield, Ca. 93308, Phone: (805) 399-6542
Bitnet:  HMICHEL@CALSTATE
Arpanet: HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 87 10:08:13 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: 512e Upgrades

Some time ago, I asked about memory upgrades for my 512e machine.  I received
a few responses in the email, so I thought I would describe my adventures for
the sake of posterity.

I began with a meg of 256K chips that I had lying around from a early clip-on
upgrade.  This thing existed before the Mac+ did, so it was incompatible with
the new ROMs and to make matters worse, old MassTech has since bit the 11, so
I get no support.  Well, not wishing to be saddled with 400K disks forever, I
decided to ditch it and upgrade.

I heard about the Dove MacSnap 1 and 2 Meg upgrades.  They both use the same
board but only populate 1/2 Meg for the one Meg version and add another Meg
for the 2 Meg version.  Well, this is fine.  They leave a Meg free.
Unfortunately, they also wave solder all the holes shut, leaving them for you
to unsolder. Not a fun prospect.  But it was on special from MacConnection for
$149 and looked like a viable way to go.

Then I found a couple of guys here at the lab who were looking to do the same
upgrade and they were using the Mac's-a-Million board.  It comes with no
chips, just sockets.  It is a hacker's board.  You have to clip out and
unsolder a few ICs, replace them with sockets, and then plug the board into
them.  The best part was the price though.  The board lists for $195 kit, but
since we got a bunch of them we got the dealer discount to $140.  I don't
think you can find a cheaper upgrade.

Add to this an SCSI (I went for the Dove SCSI - $67 from Icon Review - $129
from MacConnection) and you have a machine that is a bit better than a Mac+.
While it is not upgradable to 4 Meg, who really needs that much?  I am a
computer pig after years of VAXen and Crays, and I can fit in 2 Meg just fine
(1 is a bit tight but useable, 640K or 512K is out of the question!!!).  The
most important difference between an upgraded 512K and a Mac+ is that with an
upgrade you get to keep your DB9 connectors, which are much better than those
DIN8 things that the plus comes with.  Plus I don't need an adaptor for my
sound and picture scanners (both of which can really use 2 Meg or more).

Mac's-a-Million is available from:

Sophisticated Circuits, Inc.
1314 NE 43rd, Suite 216
Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 547-4779

That's the scoop.  I hope it helps someone.

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 87 22:10:00 est
From: munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo@seismo.CSS.GOV (John O'Neill)
Subject: LightspeedC at 40,000 lpm on a MacII?

In my first close encounter with a MacII (2Mb RAM, HD40SC) I had the
opportunity to test the compatibility of some Mac software I am developing.
Having found that even LSC is a "screening fascist" and that I may be
a "fakir" (see Tech Note 117, pp17-18), I decided to run some simple
compile/link performance benchmarks. The results follow.

For LSC's Standard I/O "stdio" project, 23 .c files, 13522 lines including .h:

Machine Time    Lines/          Source                  Object
        (secs)  sec     RAM     HD      800K    RAM     HD      800K
Mac II  52      260             X                       X
        32      423             X               X
        21      644     X                       X

Mac+    215     63                      X                       X
        106     128                     X       X
        68      199     X                       X

Once loaded, it did not matter whether LSC itself was on disk or RAM.

When both source and object (the project) are on RAMDisk, the MacII
is about 3.3 times more powerful than the Mac+. This ratio is similar
for the more realistic scenario when the sources are kept on disk
(either 800k or HD).  The above test involved a large number of rather
small source files. A second test was run with larger source files.
The results follow.

For an unidentified sample program, 12 files, 34265 lines, including headers:

Machine Time    Lines/          Source                  Object
        (secs)  sec     RAM     HD      800K    RAM     HD      800K
Mac II  127     270                     X       X
        48      714     X                       X

Mac SE  224     153                     X       X

Mac+    255     134                     X       X

For this test, the MacII running LSC is about twice the speed of a Mac+, if
we assume that the user would not be prepared to risk keeping source files
in RAMDisk (which memory limitations would usually prohibit on a Mac+).
A quick check on a Mac SE showed it to be about 15% faster than the Mac+,
when both machines were fitted with 800k drives.

Well, what is the significance of all this?

Superficially, not much.  But when you consider that these results show that
a MacII can produce linked code at between 15,000 and 40,000 lines per minute,
depending on whether or not a RAMDisk is used, then you start to see the
potential productivity improvements for UNIX software development when A/UX
arrives, (*if*) LSC can work in this environment.

Just thought you might find this interesting.

John O'Neill               Phone ISD:   +61 62 68 8818
Dept. Computer Science         Telex:   ADFADM AA62030
University College      ACSNET/CSNET:   jlo@csadfa.oz
Aust. Defence Force Academy     UUCP:   ...!seismo!munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo
Canberra. ACT. 2600.            ARPA:   jlo%csadfa.oz@SEISMO.CSS.GOV
AUSTRALIA                      JANET:   jlo@oz.csadfa

End of INFO-MAC Digest