[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #85

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (05/06/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 6 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 85

Today's Topics:
                       scripting on the Macintosh
                    Reconstructing Desktop WITH info?
                          Shutdown/head parking
                            Scrap Saver INIT
                                CatMaker
                 Appletalk, Bussedout, Mazewars no work?
                             STARTUP SOUNDS
                          Mac II Video choices?
           Re: Mac II is shipping! -- NEC MultiSync and Mac II
                         Alt Keyboards for 512E?
                            TOPS on a Mac XL?
                      Utilization of Bernoulli Box
                            Laser Disk Labels
                           accounting programs
                                Plotters
                              Seeking TDBMS
                           AppleTalk <-> RS232
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #33
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #34
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #35
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #36
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #37
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #24
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #25

Date: 4 May 1987, 10:23:57 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: scripting on the Macintosh

   I haven't seen this topic discussed much on info-mac and I sure would
like to hear other's opinions. It seems to me that the Mac user interface
in its current implementation is seriously lacking the capability to
script 'batch' processes, pipe output to different tasks, and create and edit
POWERFUL Macros (Tempo is not powerful or ROBUST enough). It is unfortunate
that these tools (especially Macros) are not part of the system software.
It seems to me that with the introduction of the Mac II, Apple is going
after a market rich in 'power users', and these users will demand more of
the user interface in this regard. Comments?
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 1987 11:24-EDT
From: Richard.Lerner@speech2.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Reconstructing Desktop WITH info?

Does anyone know of a program which can recreate a desktop without loosing the
text in the GetInfo box?  It seems like it should be easy to get that
information from the old desktop, or at least try.

Thanks,
  Rick

Rick Lerner
Computer Science Dept.
Carnegie Mellon Univ.
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
(412) 268-3828
lerner@speech2.cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 21:49:19 edt
From: ephraim%wang.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Shutdown/head parking

In info-mac 5.83, an anonymous correspondent offers to send
Kamerman Labs actual money for a decent shutdown utility.
There's no need.  The following should fill the bill, and comes
complete with source code.

The following BinHex 4.0 / Packit II file contains source code
and executable for SCSI Stop, a shutdown utility.  This should
answer the questions about shutdown which were raised in info-mac
volume 5, #57.

This package is in the public domain.

Ephraim Vishniac
decvax!wanginst!wang!ephraim

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SCSI-STOP.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:51 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Scrap Saver INIT

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SCRAPSAVER INIT
Date: 1-MAY-1987 20:07 by LOGICHACK

[ Updated to version 1.1 1-MAY-1987 20:07 by LOGICHACK. This latest version
(1.1) of 4/29/87 has better error checking for empty Clipboard files and has a
file creator type of 'MACS' so it shows up in System 4.1 and up as a little
Macintosh icon. ]

ScrapSaver is a small utility to read in the clipboard at boot time. This
means your clipboard contents will always be around, even if you reboot or
turn your computer off.  This is most useful with System 4.0 and higher
since it writes the scrap file on _ShutDown.  To use ScrapSaver, simply
drag it into your System Folder.

Have fun.

Bug reports and comments are should be directed to one of the addresses below.

Paul Mercer

Delphi:    LOGICHACK
AppleLink: D0131
MCI:       SOL
681 E. Seneca Tpk., #A4
Syracuse, NY  13205
Phone: (315) 492-3348

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-SCRAPSAVER-11.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 09:17 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: CatMaker

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: CATMAKER
Date: 3-MAY-1987 18:37 by WNOLAN

Hard disk cataloging program, source code available (Lightspeed C).

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-CATMAKER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 3 May 87 22:26:57-EDT
From: "Mike E. Ciholas" <MIKEC%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Appletalk, Bussedout, Mazewars no work?

I am experimenting with Appletalk trying to get Bussedout or Mazewars
running.

Equipment: 2 Mac Pluses, system software just before SE release

I have tried to get these programs to work and neither does.  Using th
debugger, I found that Bussedout passes (get this!) an even pointer when
it should pass an odd one!  This was after I had to OpenMPP by debugger
(It apparently did not do that right either).  Mazewars has similiar problems.
I have tried several versions of the ATP and MPP drivers (both in the
system and program files).

What I am doing wrong?

Also, what's the story on file server packages for AT.  I am looking for
something that doesn't reqqXe a dedicated Mac.  Did I hear something
called TOPS or MACSERVE?

Thanxs

MIKEC@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU
 5-May-87 16:04:01-PDT,1334;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 16:03 PDT
From: <C9017@UWAV4.BITNET>
Subject: STARTUP SOUNDS

Hello,
  According to the folks who brought us StartUpSounds
  (the MacNifty people), a startup sound can only be played
  correctly when (1) you have the proper sound INIT installed
  in your system, and (2) if the sound file was sampled at
  a rate of 22,000 samples per second.  Sampling at this rate
  will occupy an awful lot of disk space (22K per second I think?),
  but I understand that this rate is necessary to insure a high
  sound "quality" during playback.  I was wondering if anyone knew
  if it was possible to patch the INIT resource needed to play the
  startup sound so that it would also playback sound files sampled
  at a slower rate than 22,000.  The MacNifty manual lists 4 different
  sampling speeds which it is capable of digitizing sounds (22,000 ,
  11,500 , 7,500, and 5,000 samples per second).  I would like to be
  able to use sounds digitized at 11,500 samples per second as startup
  sounds.  Has anyone else tried to do this successfully?

    Thanks,
    Bob Ruderman

 Bob Ruderman
 Department of Geography
 University of Washington
 Seattle, Washington 98195

Bitnet:  C9017@UWAV4.BITNET
Arpanet: C9017%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Usenet:  C9017%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 05:54 CDT
From: <BOYD@TAMLSR.BITNET> (Scott T. Boyd)
Subject: Mac II Video choices?

If the Mac II is indeed shipping, it's about time to get the
scoop on video options.  Apple and Supermac both have fine
color systems, but they're a bit pricey, even at developer
rates.  Anybody got any info on other vendors?  Send to me
if you can and I'll summarize.

scott t. boyd
the machax(tm) group

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 87 11:37:05 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Re: Mac II is shipping! -- NEC MultiSync and Mac II
From: LLi.ESCP8@Xerox.COM

Now that Mac II is shipping, does anyone know if the NEC MultiSync
monitor can be used on the Mac II?

Leonard Li.
Xerox

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 May 87 16:18:02 GMT+0100
From: Jay Rolls <jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa>
Subject: Alt Keyboards for 512E?

A while back (several months ago) I saw posting(s) in reference to alternate
keyboards for the Mac512/512E/+.  Are these still avaialable?  Do they operate
well?  Anybody doing conversions to allow SE/II keyboards to be hooked up to
the other Macs?  Any info appreciated.

Jay Rolls
BBN Communications
Stuttgart, West Germany
[jrolls@bbncc-eur.arpa]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 01:38:41 PDT
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@portia.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: TOPS on a Mac XL?

On the back (or maybe it's the side) of the box of the TOPS product
by Centram Systems, it says that TOPS runs on a Mac XL.  I've yet
to figure out how, and I've been trying for weeks.  A few details on the
hardware:  a Mac XL with 1 Meg Ram, and 10 Megabyte external Profile.
Yes, 10 Megs. Apple replaced the 5 Meg drive with a 10 Meg one last time it
was in for service.  We're running without the screen modification.
We WERE running System 3.2, Finder 5.3 on the Mac XL, but ever since the
trouble started, we've had to revert to finder 4.1 system who knows what.
Symptoms:  Boot, get Welcome to Mac Message, TOPS installed, InterBase
installed, and then El Bombo with system ID = 10.  So I trash TOPS,
install system 3.2, Finder 5.3, and lo and behold, same thing.  Then we

More TOPS strangeness:  QDial 1.6 and Talking Moose blow up almost
instantaneous while running under TOPS.

So, is anyone out there running TOPS on a Mac XL?  Care to share the
secrets?  I'm beginning to suspect that TOPS, or the SYSTEM is incredibly
sensitive to what desk accessories, INIT resources, etc. are installed.
Have noticed, for example, that a Mac XL will not boot off a system from
a DataFrame 20 XP drive, while of course a Mac + will do just fine.
By the way, all the systems referred to previously (which bomb on an XL)
run just fine on the Mac.  We're running MacWorks 3.0, installed on the
Profile.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87  7:46:38 MDT
From: Harry McCaffrey  STEWS-PR-C <hmccaffr@wsmr07.ARPA>
Subject: Utilization of Bernoulli Box

I'd appreciate any comments from people who have had experience with Bernoulli
Boxes, or comments in general with respect to what I have detailed below.

1.  Equipment - Original 128K machine that has been upgraded with new ROM,
800K drive, and has MacMemory 2 Meg of RAM.  No SCSI port added.

2.  Situation -

    a.  I'd like a hard drive, but what I really want is a drive with tape
backup also.  However, I don't want to invest that kind of money at this time
as I just might go for a totally new machine in several years.

    b.  I could buy a Jasmine 20 for approx. $590, but I'm skeptical of some of
these new firms and like to stick with a name brand that I can get serviced
easily, and a firm that will be in business at some point in the future.

    c.  I'm not what you'd call a power user, and I'm not one of those who has
hundreds of diskettes (maybe a hundred) full of software.  My needs are text
editing, data base work, some paint, and remote access to a multiuser micro
system.  My young daughter is learning and will probably be a heavy user some
day.

    d.  Icon Review has been selling the older (serial port) 5 Meg
Bernoulli Boxes for $499, and a pack of three 5 Meg cartridges for $99.  I
realize their are limitations with this equipment: you can't boot from it;
it's a bit noisy; it's slower than a SCSI.  Their are advantages also with the
method of operation that make then less susceptible to a crash, and the ease of
data security.  The thought is to just considered it a 5 Meg floppy and boot
with my RAM disk as I currently do.  I could store my applications on the
cartridge and my data on 3.5"disks, and the Ram disk could contain all the
goodies for the desk top.  My backup could also consist of a cartridge(s).

3.  Questions -

    a.  Is this a reasonable idea for a modest investment, and an interim
solution?  Would it work?

    b.  Does anybody have any experience with this equipment, good or bad?

4.  Please respond directly to me, and if anyone is interested in the results
I'll certainly let you know.

Thanks,

H.C. McCaffrey
White Sands Missile Range, NM
hmccaffr@wsmr07.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 2 May 1987 23:57-EST
From: Duane.Williams@me.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Laser Disk Labels

Can someone tell me where to get a copy of the MacDraw disk label
described on page 154 of the May issue of MacUser?  The article
says the file is available on CompuServe and GEnie, but it doesn't
give the precise locations.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 May 87 18:39:59 EST
From: Bernardo Ferdman <BMF13@ALBNYVM1>
Subject: accounting programs

Hi, I don't belong to this list, but I'm wondering if any of you can
help me.  For a friend, I'm looking into accounting and/or job cost
analysis programs for the MAC.  Any leads into either freeware,
shareware, or any other kind of program and/or publisher would be
greatly appreciated.  Preferable programs are those that would allow
keeping ledgers and so on.
Thank you for your help! (Please reply directly to me.  If anyone
requests it, I will summarize responses for the list)

Bernardo Ferdman
BMF13@ALBNYVM1.bitnet
(State University of New York at Albany, tel (518) 442-5136)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 09:16:04 pdt
From: Wm. L. Brown <wbrown@lbl-ux4>
Subject: Plotters

A user here is lookming for drivers to run a Tektronix 4662 single pen
plotter and/or a 4692 multi-pen plotter. Any ideas?

Please reply direct - If we get any useful info I'll summarize for the net.

bill

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  5 May 87 18:36:09 PDT
From: homo obsolescensis <XB.K98@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Seeking TDBMS

I apologize if this subject has been covered already, but I haven't
been able to locate an answer so far. I am trying to locate a text
data base management system (TDBMS) for the mac that would be
similar to Instant Recall or AskSam on the ibm.  If anyone know of
such a program, I would be grateful if they would let me know
(off-net preferably). Thanks in advance.
Walter Henry
xb.k98@forsyth.stanford.edu  <ARPA>
xb.k98@stanford              <Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1987 07:33 PDT
From: Mark McNair - ACS MSG <M1478%UWACDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk <-> RS232

Infosphere (in Portland OR, (503) 226-3620) has a new product called
'ComServe' which claims to make an RS232 channel available to all
Macs on an AppleTalk. Specifically (from their brochure):
 Shares an outbound serial communications channel
 Supports data rates of 300 to 9600 baud
 Supports the leading telecom applications, transparently
 Allows servers to be selected by name, using Chooser
 Operates in the background of a Macintosh, requiring no dedicated HW
 Runs optionally with AppleShare and MacServe as co-resident services
 Works on Mac 512, Mac +, and Mac XL

I haven't tried it (heck, I haven't even SEEN it) but it sounds good.

(standard disclaimer - I have nothing whatsoever to do with Infosphere)
Mark McNair (M1478@UWACDC.Bitnet University of Washington, Seattle)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 16:17 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #33

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, April 24, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
     Re: Mac II D/A resolution
     Cancelling prints
     Re: UNIX and Mac applications on the Mac II
     Will Lubrication Stop Annoying 400K Drive Noises?
     Lightspeed Pascal Problem...
     Old English font
     Re: UNIX and Mac applications on the Mac II
     Dove memory upgrades
     Fixing Sad Macs (stuck switches)
     Switcher 5.1 "scratchpad application"?
     Re: HELP!! Interchanging Spreadsheet Files ie DIF <> SYLK or WKS??
     Upgrade your Mac 512 now! (2 messages)
     New Release of FzzPlot
     Most appropriate sound editor?
     How to launch an application
     Re: Mac II D/A resolution
     Re: Programming for High Baud Rates
     Megamax C, uw and Newer system files
     MacFortran 'include' sensitive to trailing blanks...
     remapping keyboard ?
     MacDraw, MacWrite --> PostScript? -- Request
     Using UnpackBits to decode MacPaint files

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-33.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 16:17 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #34

Usenet Mac Digest     Friday, April 24, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
     Re: Programming for High Baud Rates
     Writing for MacUser (warning)
     Re: Graphing Programs
     Speedy floating point options (2 messages)
     Re: DMCS
     MS Word 3.0 upgrade.
     Reverting With the Resource Manager
     BeepInit bug!
     Re: How to launch an application
     How to Change MS WORD 3.0 Menu Names?
     Mac Touch Screens?
     THE DEBUGGER (& macnosy)
     MacinTalk on an SE ( Was: Own an SE?  Can you do me a favor?)
     800K Drive/128K ROM
     PC/Mac Tape Backup
     Re: DMCS
     2400 Baud Modems
     Subscribing to MacUser (warning)
     Bernoulli Box & Apple HD 20 SC
     chinese wordprocessor
     Connecting Mac+ to Olympia Typewriter
     More MS Word bugs
     Why does AppleShare require a MacPlus?
     Re: Modem cables

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-34.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:48 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #35

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, May 2, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
     Re: Subscribing to MacUser (warning)
     Re: How to launch an application
     Re: Dove memory upgrades
     Re: BeepInit bug!
     Re: THE DEBUGGER (& macnosy)
     Re: How to Change MS WORD 3.0 Menu Names?
     Pascal Scientific Libraries
     Wanted: digitized pictures of famous paintings
     Re: How to launch an application
     Read/Write discs in another format
     "system" call
     WANTED screenplay Word Processor
     Re: "system" call
     Re: Smalltalk80 for Mac from Xerox?
     Re: Wanted: digitized pictures of famous paintings
     MacUser Subscriptions
     Re: MacPaint to PC-Paint
     Classic Mac operation with programming for SE or Mac ][?

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-35.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:49 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #36

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, May 2, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
     Re: THE DEBUGGER (& macnosy)
     AppleTalk through Broadband?
     Re: "system" call (2 messages)
     Re: Classic Mac operation with programming for SE or Mac ][?
     MacFortran: Bug or Feature?
     Replacing Appletalk driver with RS-232 driver
     EDT
     Calling "LAUNCH" from Pascal
     Re: anomoly in LightspeedC include file? (maybe)
     Does Versaterm do custom keymaps?
     Re: Replacing Appletalk driver with RS-232 driver
     Re: Smalltalk80 for Mac from Xerox?
     Re: How to Change MS WORD 3.0 Menu Names?
     RamStart 1.3 bug on SE
     text-to-MS Word
     Re: Smalltalk80 for Mac from Xerox?
     CD-ROMs in Apple's Future
     Re: RamStart 1.3 bug on SE

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-36.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:49 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #37

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, May 2, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
     MacTerminal patch for new keyboard
     Re: Program compatability between Mac ][ and Classic Mac...
     Re:  Calling "LAUNCH" from Pascal
     AppleTalk on broadband
     WriteResource Bug Patch
     curved arrows
     Mazewars plus and Appletalk
     Slide Production Systems....
     Re: Patch for Font/DA Mover wanted
     Re: MacSnap Memory Addition (?)
     Re: TextEdit sub/superscripting
     Re: curved arrows
     Cheap scsi drives: survey results (longish)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-37.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 16:18 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #24

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, April 27, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:
     re: HD Backup directories
     re Icons in menus
     Dvorak Keyboard Layout
     Any engineers out there? (2 messages)
     re: SuperPaint, Aldus Prep, spelling che
     RE: MacFair II and the Macintosh II (4 messages)
     RE: sound problem
     ResEdit is not your friend (3 messages)
     Prototyper maker Addr wanted
     Response to DiskTime II Review
     Re: Reverting With the Resource Manager
     Switcher programming
     re: Writing for MacUser (warning)
     re: How to Change MS WORD 3.0 Menu Names
     MacFaire Rotterdam Part1 (3 messages)
     MPW C code resources
     word centering

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-24.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 10:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%slb-test.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #25

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, May 4, 1987            Volume 3 : Issue 25

Today's Topics:
     Help (3 messages)
     DiskTimer II, MacBottom 40
     Word 3.0
     re: ScrapSaver INIT
     re: Emacs and Scribe for Mac
     ADB Optical Mice
     watch cursor (3 messages)
     MacMemory Upgrades
     Scan 300 (2 messages)
     Overvue 2.1 bug
     MacApp license for free programs
     system heap (3 messages)
     Word 3 and Switcher
     The Low down on LoDown?
     TMON & System 4.1
     SCSI sensing (3 messages)
     Font Scaling
     RSG 3.0 vs. Laserprep 3.3
     Re: AutoBlack and SE
     Re: Help! Mangled Hard Disk
     Here are the headlines
     MacWorld Rotterdam Rest
     Words to program by
     Keyboard differences

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-25.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest