[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #26

SHULMAN@slb-test.CSNET (Jeffrey Shulman) (05/12/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Tuesday, May 12, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 26

Today's Topics:
     HP's brain lives!
     Excel/MockTerminal/Mac SE
     RE: Networked Applications
     SuperSpool 3.2 vs. SE
     Laser Prep 4.0 (2 messages)
     RE: TMON & System 4.1
     Tangent Tech. Keybd. (3 messages)
     Tangent Tech. keyboard
     Patch For Font/DAM 3.5? (2 messages)
     Excel 1.03 vs. DAs (3 messages)
     RSG3 vs Word3 (4 messages)
     Smartcom 2.2B vs. SE keyboard
     Keyboard map
     QD bug (2 messages)
     RE: Font Scaling
     Resetting PRAM in System 4.1 (2 messages)
     Laser Prep 4.0 (3 messages)

From: RICKLEPAGE
Subject: HP's brain lives!
Date: 5-MAY-08:36: Business Mac

Well, seems like Adobe has won em all over...HP just announced that they
would offer PostScript support with their LaserJet series of printers.
An HP spokesman told PC Week that the decision "is based on HP's
realization of the reality of PostScript."

Steve Jobs was not mentioned as a reason....

Rick

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Excel/MockTerminal/Mac SE
Date: 5-MAY-20:43: Bugs & Features

Unbelievably, I find that I can finally use MockTerminal from within
Excel, despite Excel's improper handling of Command/Z.  Now, with the
SE, you can send a Control/Z using the CONTROL key!  It works (on
Delphi, anyway), with MockTerminal 4.3, even within Excel.

What a fix!

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Networked Applications (Re: Msg 19625)
Date: 6-MAY-01:03: Network Digests

>Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 14:33:16 PDT
>From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
>Subject: Networked Applications

You need a copy of Tech Note 116 which explains about the 'Shared' bit
in the Finder flags and also about how most versions of ResEdit have
mislabelled it as the 'Cache' bit (the two are interchanged).

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: SuperSpool 3.2 vs. SE
Date: 6-MAY-08:14: Bugs & Features

I'm unable to use the ImageWriter spooler, SuperSpool 3.2, on the Mac
SE. It crashes, sometimes destroying the screen in a spectacular
display.  The only variables are the Mac SE and the fact that the SE has
less memory than my Plus -- I'm starting up from the same hard disk,
with the same software. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ric

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Laser Prep 4.0
Date: 6-MAY-23:26: Business Mac

Does anyone know if there is any reason NOT to use laserwriter4.0 and
laserprep 4.0 with older systems?  I'd like to upgrade to get around (I
hope) some perceived bugs by Letraset in RSG3 and Postscript blocks, but
keep the old stuff around until I get a chacne to upgrade rationally.

Should it work?

chuq

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Laser Prep 4.0 (Re: Msg 19656)
Date: 7-MAY-00:28: Business Mac

Apple recommends upgrading even 512K and 512KE Macs to the new printer
resources.  (That is to say, staying with an older system and installing
Imagewriter/LaserWriter&Prep only.)

peter

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: TMON & System 4.1 (Re: Msg 19658)
Date: 7-MAY-14:07: Bugs & Features

Here's the patch to correct the TMON trashing bug in the General Control
Panel Item:

    Find            "4278 00BA 4278 00BC"       in the "General" file.
    Replace with    "4268 00BA 4268 00BC"

This applies only to System 4.1

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: Tangent Tech. Keybd.
Date: 7-MAY-18:30: Hardware & Peripherals

The Tangent Technologies PC MacBridge[tm] keyboard will not work with
the new System 4.1 update.  Molly Hutsler and Ron Garrett at Tangent
Technologies are aware of the problem and hope to have a fix in a week
or so.  I'll post further info here, as it becomes available.  I'm not
affilated with Tangent, but do have their keyboards installed on a
number of Mac Plus's.

-Rod

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Tangent Tech. Keybd. (Re: Msg 19668)
Date: 7-MAY-19:52: Hardware & Peripherals

Rod,

Could you be more specific?  Is it a problem with the Tangent software
(something I always felt was a kludge)?  I'm using the Tangent keyboard
on a Mac Plus with no problem under System 4.1.  I have extra RAM and a
larger-than-normal system heap, but I'd be surprised if those made any
difference.

Ric

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: RE: Tangent Tech. Keybd. (Re: Msg 19672)
Date: 8-MAY-20:05: Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

More specific...after booting (floppy or PCPC HD21) on any of four
"standard" Mac Plus's, you can get four or five characters out of the
keyboard and then nothing.  Opening Key Caps causes Key Caps image to
switch between the plain old keyboard layout and the Plu's keyboar at
about a one second rate.

I agree with you on the ProKey software, I haven't used it since Sys.
3.2 and spoke to Ron about it in Boston last August.  Molley says I was
about the third to call and they've seen the problem too....you might
have an interesting answer, if your's is working OK.  I can't get any of
five keyboards to work with Sys.4.1 (?) on the five different Mac
Plus's.  Although my keyboards are over a year old....I wonder about
that?

-Rod

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: Tangent Tech. keyboard
Date: 9-MAY-16:59: Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

The "Easy Acess" file is what is mucking up the Tangent Technologies
keyboard. Remove this file and reboot and the Tangent works fine. I'll
call Ron on Monday and let him know.  And no, I'm not using their ProKey
driver, or whatever it is now called, on any of the Mac Plus units.
Nice to have this keyboard back!

-Rod

------------------------------

From: LAMD
Subject: Patch For Font/DAM 3.5?
Date: 8-MAY-01:13: Business Mac

Using the article by Billy Steinberg in the April MacUser, I was able to
patch Font/DA Mover 3.4 to install more than 15 DA's... it worked like a
charm. I've converted to System 4.1/Finder 5.5/Font DA Mover 3.5 and the
patch doesn't seem to apply (I can't find the specified hex string in
the file.) Using the patched version of 3.4 sent the Mac into oblivion
upon selecting any DA with >15 installed.  Anyone know an equivalent
patch for the new Font/DA Mover?

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Patch For Font/DAM 3.5? (Re: Msg 19680)
Date: 8-MAY-11:36: Business Mac

No, but if you can wait a little while, Steve Brecher's Da Mob will
solve all of your DA problems.  (It comes with a small bag of cement for
recalcitrant DAs, too.)

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Excel 1.03 vs. DAs
Date: 8-MAY-06:57: Bugs & Features

I've just switched from a 2.5MB Mac Plus to a 1MB Mac SE and System 4.1
I suppose it's the memory, but I'm amazed at how almost every DA I use
from Excel now results in a crash.

Ric

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Excel 1.03 vs. DAs (Re: Msg 19683)
Date: 9-MAY-00:20: Bugs & Features

You mean you hadn't heard of Excel's legendary incompatibility with DAs.
Tsk Tsk. Try the ol' increasing the system heap trick. Can't say just
exactly how much memory corresponds to running which DAs without
crashing. If 64K ain't enuf (standard size for 4.1, I believe), try 80K.
That seems to fix in in most situations. I won't guarantee
memory-intensive DAs, however, or those which in turn have a lot of
resources and use a lot of system calls. Since Tempo doesn't run on the
SE that's one relief. However, you may find some of the larger DAs, like
ACTA, for one, just don't get along with Excel. I had to increase
heapsize on my megasystem to around 100K to run 35 DAs in a 2Meg
environment. If that's anykind of a guide.... I experienced more than my
fair share of stack/heap collisions, though. And some applications
DEFINITELY don't like big system heaps. Fortunately experimentation
ain't dangerous. Just a waste of time. Good luck.
                                                                Neil.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Excel 1.03 vs. DAs (Re: Msg 19697)
Date: 9-MAY-11:56: Bugs & Features

System 4.1 makes adjustments automatically to the size of the System
heap (but only while running the INIT resources at startup time, I
believe), so I would expect System heap problems to result primarily
from demands on the heap which become apparent after initialization.  It
would be worthwhile experimenting with, I guess.  (You know any kids who
need good Science Fair projects to do in the next couple weeks?)

"to run 35 DAs in a 2 meg environment" ==> do you mean running them all
at once or do you mean to have them installed?  That number of DA's
would cause a substantial increase in the size of the resource map of
the System file, which resides in the System heap.  However, with 4.1,
the heap should theoretically expand to compensate.  Have you tried this
wince upgrading?

peter

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE
Subject: RSG3 vs Word3
Date: 8-MAY-09:27: Business Mac

I talked to Peter Plitteras yesterday at the RSG tech support line about
RSG's current inability to directly read Word 3.0 files.  He told me
that there is no current fix to the situation, though they will have one
at some point in the future. Their reasoning was that Word 3.0 had a few
(!) problems, and they were waiting for a stable release before
attempting to get RSG fixed up.

He also said that they will be altering their tech support in a few
weeks -- they will offer support only to those users who have sent in
their registration cards.  They will ask for the serial number and
related info before giving support.  That seemed to be the only change
(they will still offer toll-free support).

Rick

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: RSG3 vs Word3 (Re: Msg 19685)
Date: 8-MAY-11:44: Business Mac

That sounds like a cop-out to me.  I doubt that Word is going to change
the file structure, which is the only thing RSG should be concerned
with.

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE
Subject: RE: RSG3 vs Word3 (Re: Msg 19687)
Date: 8-MAY-15:02: Business Mac

I would venture to agree with you on that point...he might have been
hedging because they were having problems with it.

btw..PageMaker 2.0 reads WriteNow files directly, which i hadn't
realized.

Rick

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Date: 8-MAY-23:01: Business Mac

Don't judge too soon.  I also spent some time today talking to the RSG
folks at Letraset, and they admitted that word 3.0 support would be in
RSG 3.1.  What they AREN'T committing to is when RSG 3.1 will be out,
for the simple reason that they don't want to do what Pagemaker did with
2.0 and push vaporware.  I was told they don't plan to announce RSG 3.1
until they are ready to ship it, to be fair to the public, and they
don't waant to announce deliverables until they have them running (they
wouldn't for instance, tell me if Fullwrite would be supported in 3.1).

So answer this.  We blast folks for pre-announcing and pushing
vaporware, for missing ship dates by months, and generally trying to
corner the market with a data sheet and a full page ad.  And now, we
have a company who is keeping quiet about futures and trying to get the
product done before they start hyping it, and we blast them for that.
Is this really fair?  It is a lose-lose situation for them.  Personally,
I'm glad that they're waiting until they're ready to ship
-- it is a breath of fresh air in this industry.

Another thing that they mentioned to me. The Letraset folks have decided to take
a more active part in the various networks.  They will be setting up their tech
support folks on Delphi, on CIS, and on Genie, and using the nets to share tips
and information.

From what I can tell, the Manhattan Graphics folks basically ignored the support
end of RSG, and Letraset is just now catching up and getting things set up again
(as a point of comment, I bitched about Letraset not warning me about the RSG 3
bug fix release that was made in december -- in point of fact, Letraset did not
buy RSG until February, so that bitch really belonged with Manhattan Graphics,
and I'm sorry I misrepresented things).  If/when all of this comes about, it
looks to me like RSG will be a lot better positioned in the market than
Pagemaker, and I think that, from what I've seen, it is a better product than PM
2.0.

So it looks to me like Letraset is finally getting their act together, with no
thanks from the MG folks, who gave them a good product and a shambles for
support. Now, to see whether they carry out their ideas.

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Smartcom 2.2B vs. SE keyboard
Date: 8-MAY-16:18: Bugs & Features

Smartcom 2.2B sends a plain "z" or "c" through when you use the Control key
on the Mac SE keyboard, trying to get Ctrl/Z or Ctrl/C.

Is there a newer version for the new Macs?

Ric

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN
Subject: Keyboard map
Date: 8-MAY-17:44: Programming

Does anyone know how the keyboard is mapped in the new System? I used to use
Dreams of the Phoenix's KeyMap program to change which keys caused which
characters to display, but it doesn't work with the new system. I am willing to
use ResEdit to making changes, I need some doc'n on where and how the mapping is
done.

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: QD bug
Date: 8-MAY-02:39: Programming Techniques

Page 149 if IM vol 1 states that "the visRgn has no effect on images that aren't
displayed on the screen."  I interpret this to mean that you can draw into an
offscreen bitMap, ignoring what's in the visRgn.  This simply ain't so!  Try
drawing into an offscreen bitMap using a grapPort that belongs to an invisible
window.  You can't do it without modifying the empty visRgn.

Joe

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: QD bug (Re: Msg 1574)
Date: 9-MAY-07:22: Programming Techniques

It's not really a QD bug; it's an IM bug.  As IM states in a couple of other
places, drawing is always clipped to the intersection of the ClipRgn and the
VisRgn.  QD's drawing routines don't know nor care where they're drawing with
respect to the screen.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Font Scaling (Re: Msg 1557)
Date: 8-MAY-22:40: Macintosh Developers

With the help of Ginger at developer support I was finally able to get it to do
what I wanted.  The problem was that not only did I have to fool with LastFOND
but I also had to zero out WidthListHand as well.  Not what I call an elegant
solution but then again, the Font Manager was written with only one font
resource file in mind.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: Resetting PRAM in System 4.1
Date: 9-MAY-00:34: Hardware & Peripherals

To reset parameter RAM on the Mac SE and Mac II (which doesn't have a removeable
battery), try holding down command-option-shift while bringing up the control
panel in System 4.1.  It will present a dialog box.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Resetting PRAM in System 4.1 (Re: Msg 19701)
Date: 9-MAY-12:01: Hardware & Peripherals

I was hoping that would work on my Mac Plus, but it didn't!

What about the most-feared case of "Mac does not boot because parameter RAM has
been hacked"?  There was a rumor floating around a couple years ago that you
could set the startup device to be the third floppy disk and cause infinite
grief for people who didn't know the battery trick.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 9-MAY-04:08: Bugs & Features

1.  I still can't use one of my downloadable fonts, which I created with
Fontographer.  (Alas, I can't seem to use Fontographer to check things out). The
font worked fine under Laser Prep 3.1 (from System 3.2).

2.  miniWRITER can't print in Times or Helvetica.  The fix is easy...but means
miniWRITER can't print in Times or Helvetica under older versions of Laser Prep.
I'm going to try to get some info from Apple on this, before I upload a new
version.

Real ironic that I just got a copy of the LaserWriter manual from Apple,
describing all the Laser Prep routines...and they go and change the inputs of at
least one (rf).

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Laser Prep 4.0 (Re: Msg 19703)
Date: 9-MAY-04:13: Bugs & Features

Forgot to mention, the faster bitmaps look really awful -- like the printout
came from an ImageWriter, rather than a LaserWriter.

From: PDNNOG
Subject: RE: Laser Prep 4.0 (Re: Msg 19704)
Date: 9-MAY-14:51: Bugs & Features

I found that you almost always need to choose the 4% reduction under the option
button in order to get good looking bitmaps..try it with and without and see the
difference.

End of Delphi Mac Digest