[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #90

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (05/19/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 19 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 90

Today's Topics:
                       New Mac Respository Online
                           Re: %A5Init Segment
                 RE: System 4.1/Finder 5.5.  What's new?
                            Mixing languages
                          TML Pascal 2.5 update
                          Great little DA's...
                       Patch for Lightspeed Pascal
                         Fix to Lightspeed Patch
                           TOPS and finder 5.5
                                TOPS Boot
                                WriteFix
                               TrackPopUp
                   RE: Color Quickdraw on Macintosh SE
                    More ideas on Multisync & Mac II
               Re: PC-paint to MacPaint (INFO-MAC V5 #89)
                    Mac SE and System 4.0/Finder 5.4
           LaserWriter Plus clone MUCH better than original??
                              BBS Software?
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #40
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #41

Date: Sat, 16 May 87 13:59:28 MDT
From: Robert J. Thum <RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: New Mac Respository Online

Hello All,

I would like to take a few moments to let everyone on all the nets know
that after several months I have finaly gotten the Mac repository in
order where you can hopefully find something with only a slight delay.

The purpose of the SIMETEL20 Macintosh repository is NOT to compete with
the SUMEX computer at Stanford but rather to relieve the pressure put on
to that system.

Most of the material on the SUMEX is stored here on the SIMTEL20 the
main difference is that I will not be deleating older versions of
Applications, DAUs, ETC, unless the version causes BOMBS or other
problems. The one set of files I have not retained is the ARCHIVED
Info-Mac, Delphi, Usenet Digests. While the SIMTEL has a large storage
capability it is not unlimited and the Digest take up LOTS and LOTS of
space.

If you would like to use the files or just browse here is the formatt
to get into the Macintosh area.

FTP SIMTEL20.ARPA
FTP> Login Anonymous
FTP> Password: Guest
FTP> DIR PD:<MACINTOSH>
                        PD:<MACINTOSH>
MACINTOSH.CRCLST.70508
FTP> TYPE PD:<MACINTOSH>MACINTSOH.CRCLST    or
FTP> GET PD:<MACINTOSH>MACINTOSH.CRCLST    and read offline

All of the files are shown with what subdirectories the given program
or application is in.

I have set up the following subdirectories, which should help to reduce
the time required to do a search.

PD:<MACINTOSH.APPL>  APPLICATIONS
PD:<MACINTOSH.COMM>  COMMUNICATIONS
PD:<MACINTOSH.DEMO>      DEMOUS
PD:<MACINTOSH.DOC>   DOCUMENTATION
PD:<MACINTOSH.ED>    EDUCATION
PD:<MACINTOSH.FKEY>      FKEYS
PD:<MACINTOSH.LANG>      LANGUAGE, PROGRAMING
PD:<MACINTOSH.MACTN>    MAC TECH NOTES,The number after the No. is the date
PD:<MACINTOSH.MUSIC>    MUSIC
PD:<MACINTOSH.NEWS>  NEWS OF MAC INTEREST
PD:<MACINTOSH.PICT>  PICTURES
PD:<MACINTOSH.REVIEW>REVIEW OF SOFTWARE,HARDWARE,ETC.
PD:<MACINTOSH.TECH>             TECHNICAL STUFF
PD:<MACINTOSH.UTIL>             UTILITIES

Please feel free to come on line and browse.

If you need to get in touch me, my address is:

Robert Thum                ARPANET Address:RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA
448 W. Ethel                                                                                                                    PHONE: Autovon 258-4360/4640
Las Cruces,NM                       Comm    505-678-4360/4640
88005-2012                        Home    505-526-8199

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 13:23:18 edt
From: stew%lhasa@hucsc.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: Re: %A5Init Segment

The code in the %A5Init segment initializes any statically initialized
global variables.  It is called by _RTInit before your main program.
By the time your main() gets in, %A5Init's work has been done, so it
can be unloaded.  _DataInit is the name of the entry point in the
%A5Init segment.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 10:29 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: System 4.1/Finder 5.5.  What's new?

I've been using the new system files on my 512enhanced for over a month
now.  Although I haven't gotten my hands on System 4.1/Finder 5.5, I can
give a pretty good impression from System 4.0/Finder 5.4:

Finder 5.4:

Advantages:
o Is code-optimized for the 68020.
o Runs under AppleShare.
o Is NOTICABLY faster with hard disks and HFS floppies than Finder 5.3,
  especially when copying files (5-15% faster), building directory structures,
  mounting volumes, and launching programs(50% faster!).
o When copying files from one volume to another, the Finder will tell you
  how much space (in bytes) is needed on the destination if it doesn't have
  enough room for the files.
o File count for copying is now 5-digits wide instead of 3.
o Clean up is selective.  You can still clean up an entire window, but if
  you select a group of files, only those will be rearranged.
o Has smaller GET-INFO boxes, so that two can be displayed next to each other
  on the screen.  You don't know how handy that is for software librarians.
o Other "cute" changes:  trash can bulges when it has something in it, watch
  cursor slowly spins when doing long operations such as file copies or volume
  mounts.

Disadvantages:
o Finder 5.4 is over 15K larger than Finder 5.3.  This means little to hard
  disk owners, but is a consideration for floppy users.
o Finder 5.4 is less memory-efficient than Finder 5.3.  This especially
  noticable when running it from floppies on the 512e, with more disk swaps
  for simple things such as GET-INFO and trashing files.

System 4.0:

Advantages:
o The Control Panel is "open":  you can add and remove panels by adding and
  removing files from the system folder.
o New items on the Control Panel:  variable-speed mouse, set 12 or 24
  hour time format, number of menu blinks on selection (this was removed
  with System 3.2)
o The mouse has six speed settings instead of two.  The fastest setting lets
  you move across the entire screen with a flick of the wrist!  It takes some
  getting used to, but you can make menu selections VERY quickly now.
o AppleTalk is finally back on the Chooser, where it belongs.  When you select
  the LaserWriter, Chooser automatically turns AppleTalk on.  When you select
  the printer port for your ImageWriter, Chooser asks you if you want to
  disconnect AppleTalk.  How 'bout that?  Someone's been thinking!
o The KeyCaps reads a keyboard definition file from the System Folder.  If
  you connect a different keyboard, you simply change this file to have
  KeyCaps reflect your keyboard.
o Many packages are rewritten.  SANE uses the 68881 if present.  The Standard
  File Dialog now always responds to inserted disks (this was a bug in System
  3.2, corrected in System 3.3 and higher).
o There are also new RAM-based packages, for example the Shutdown manager,
  which manages dismounting, ejecting and rebooting for applications, and
  the Script Manager for foreign languages.
o (related to above) Shutdown is now in two flavors:  you can "Restart" (like
  the old shutdown) or "Shutdown" (keeps the Mac from rebooting...great for
  hard disk owners; physically turns off the power on the MacII).
o Programs running under System 4.0 seem more responsive when accessing
  resources and refreshing dialogs.  This may be an illusion, though.
o Other cute changes:  new, international alert icons.  Files of type INIT
  and creator MACS appear as system icons.

Disadvantages:

o A very few programs don't work with the new packages in System 4.0.
o The system file, even without the new desk accessories, is still larger
  then System 3.2.

If you have a hard disk, then System 4.1/Finder 5.5 is an absolute MUST for
MacPlus and Mac512e owners.  If you're running from a floppy, there are
distinct benefits to this new system, but at the cost of roughly 50-70K of
precious disk space.

        Paul Christensen

CSNET:  PCHRISTENSEN%HENRY@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 87 15:48:00 EDT
From: <hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Mixing languages

> Date: Mon, 11 May 87 09:56 EST
> From: Tom Dowdy <CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Re: 32K segment limit

>    ...                       What I think we need is a version
>    of FORTRAN for MPW so that you can do your calculations in
>    FORTRAN, your string manipulation in C, your interface programming
>    in Object Pascal, and your vertical retrace tasks in asssembly,
>    all linked together by a real linker.  What a concept, I wonder
>    if IBM ever thought of that :-)

No, they didn't, but DEC did:  have a look at the VAX/VMS calling
standard sometime.

Greg Hamm
Rutgers Molecular Biology Computing Lab

------------------------------

Date:   Thu, 14 May 87 09:50:35 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: TML Pascal 2.5 update

In this month's MacTutor, TML has an ad for Pascal 2.5 which includes a free
update for 2.0 owners.  Merely return your 2.0 disks or call TML for details.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 14-MAY-1987 16:28
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Great little DA's...

Congratulations to you guys who are writing these great little desk
accessories like Popup and the recent one that allows the cursor to
wrap.  These are great!!!

Question:  Isn't there any way for you to create them as INIT's so they
can be resident at startup?  I love 'em, but (lazy as I am) I don't like
going to the apple menu twice every time I start up.  Besides, nice as
they are, they kill DA slots that could be used by DA's I need a lot
more.  I'm afraid if those treasured 15 get full, these may go by the
wayside ('course there is always DoubleApple...).

Anyway, if you can convert these to INITs, I will download them personally
and send you the Shareware.  As it is, I don't use them too often because of
the limitation I just described (read "not too often" as "once in a blue moon"
 or "not since the first test").

Keep up the good work and may the Shareware Fairy smile on you!

JAH

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 13:12:11 edt
From: rs4u#@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: Patch for Lightspeed Pascal

In Lightspeed Pascal, there are two resources that tell which areas of low
memory are not shared between Lightspeed Pascal and the current project;
these locations are swapped back and forth between LSP and your project
whenever LSP does a context switch.  Resource QPRF 2 gives these locations
if you are using the old 64K ROMs, and QPRF 3 gives the locations if you're
using the newer ROMs.

You can modify these resources, in order to save additional low-memory
globals. In my case, I had a program that called SetResLoad(FALSE) before
entering a loop, and called SetResLoad(TRUE) after exiting. Problem was, I
had a minor bug inside the loop, and when my program failed, LSP reported
the error and promptly crashed; ResLoad was false, so LSP couldn't get the
resources it needed to properly report the error and put the thumb at the
bad line.

I fixed this problem by creating a ResEdit template to edit the QPRF
resources, and adding the address of ResLoad ($A5E) to the list.  Now
things work nicely.

Anyway, since the patch is so small, here's the BinHex of it:

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:%e&38NBRFb"KEQ3J9'9YF'aKG'8!2j!)!*!)!JNBC`#3"!%!N!-"XJ#3!l)!N!0
A!!#H!0S!X!%J"!C$B@jMC@`!N!@)!!i!Q!$&L!K6%e&38NBRFb"KEQ3J9'9YF'a
KG'8#!*!$2j!)!!!rN!J!N"LFbk5A!*!'!JN!!"d!$J"r!-@!!*!%@J!"!*!&3J"
`!&)!ZJ3#6dX!N!81!"!!2J#kL$TCEh8JC'mJEQpd)'KKGQ8JG'KP)'&MBf9cFb"
`FQPfD@aPCf9c)(4[)'p`C@iJG'KKG#"QEfaNCA)Z!*!$(3$#!3N!dJ&&!!!"!!!
"!*!$#J#3"M`"%!!)!6!!"!)J!!)#UJ!%!c`!"!3!"!!)!!!S#$3",!R@!!3*fJ#
+#Pi!!JTX!!`+K!"i$!!)!*!)1!%3!!J"-!!%!L!!!J+U!!3$2!!%"!!%!!J!!#J
)0!%X#GB!"!RD!)S+AJ!##Q`!$!U%!(J!N!Fb"5U3"8a69%)(3@4NFQ9cFdKA8N3
03RPdCA-JG'mJFf&fC84A8N3&+T!&6&0843!!!3#3!`'b!*!$XJ#3!eF!!6km!MB
!N!-F!&)!!9&38NB!!3!59%e36!#3!bS!!rrr"!#3"!%qc!!#rrm%!!"!!!%qb(8
D!*!&I!!"2M!%89"54KGV!:

The TMPL resource should be pasted into ResEdit before you try to edit the
QPRF resources; the QPRF resources are the ons I've patched to save
ResLoad; they can be pasted intoh Lightspeed Pascal.

If you want to modify the QPRF resources further, read chapter 14 of
the user's guide for LSP.

As always, mess around with a COPY of Lightspeed Pascal, and use LSP
for a bit to be sure that you didn't mess anything up.

Richard M. Siegel
R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

[
also archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>LSP-QPRF-TEMPLATE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 12:46:13 edt
From: rs4u#@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: Fix to Lightspeed Patch

There is an error in the patched QPRF's that I have previously posted.
Apparently, ResLoad *is* saved across context swaps, and my patched QPRF
resources end up having an overlap of addresses, which is definitely
un-cool.

If you use those patchd QPRF resources, Lightspeed Pascal will probably
not work properly. (In fact, I've been using them; LSP hasn't
malfunctioned, but there are some interesting graphical effects.)

Thanks to Peter Maruhnic and Philip Borenstein of THINK for
setting me straight on this.

The QPRF template for ResEdit that I posted *DOES* work properly.
I think. :-)

Rich

Date: Thu, 14 May 1987 11:45 EDT
From: Jim Griffin <IJDG400%INDYCMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: TOPS and finder 5.5

Has anyone noticed that TOPS will not work with FINDER 5.5, SYSTEM 4.1
unless the Cache is turned off? I had a terrible time trying to get TOPS
working until I discovered that turning off the cache would work.

Before I discovered that turning off the Cache was needed, TOPS would
either act like nothing was wrong untill I tried to MOUNT or PUBLISH
a folder, or TOPS would cause the FINDER to bomb with an ID=3, illegal
instruction, or ID=2, illegal memory reference.

I haven't tried to contect Centram Systems about this yet but does anybody
know a way around turning off the Cache, or better yet are people from
Centram reading this news letter?

Jim Griffin
ijdg400 at INDYCMS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 May 87 09:45 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: TOPS Boot

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: TOPS BOOT
Date: 16-MAY-1987 01:21 by DEWI

When System 4.1 arrived, I could no longer afford to run Tempo - the system
heap was getting too large. I had been using a Tempo boot macro to invoke
TOPS and automatically publish my hard disk on the network. TOPS boot is a
small program to run at boot time in order to achieve the same thing.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TOPS-BOOT.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 May 87 09:10 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: WriteFix

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: WRITEFIX
Date: 14-MAY-1987 02:59 by LOGICHACK

WriteFix 1.0 of 5/13/87

WriteFix is a small INIT that allows MacWrite 4.5 and earlier to work
on 68020 based Macintoshes like the Mac II.  To install it, simply
drag it into your System Folder and reboot.

WriteFix is only intended to be used until a new version of MacWrite
is released which will work on 020 based hardware.  Since it must do
some pretty nasty stuff to work, it may cause problems with other
software although I have not personally found any.  It is also possible
that other delinquent programs may be helped by WriteFix.  If you find
one, please let me know

This software is free for non-commercial distribution.  Please
include this info file when passing WriteFix on.  Any bug reports
and comments should be directed to one of the addresses below.

Enjoy,

Paul Mercer
Applied Logic Systems

Delphi:    LOGICHACK
AppleLink: D0131
MCI:       SOL

681 E. Seneca Tpk., #A4
Syracuse, NY  13205
Phone: (315) 492-3348

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-WRITEFIX-10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 May 87 09:46 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: TrackPopUp

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: TRACKPOPUP
Date: 15-MAY-1987 02:31 by BRECHER

MPW Asm source code and listing output for TrackPopUp, a function somewhat like
MenuSelect but for pop-up menus.  Works on all Macintoshes.  The listing output
will be useful in deciphering the expansion of the "Pascal-ish" macros used in
the source and for determining the values of symbols and trap words that might
not be defined in your own set of EQUate files.

[
archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MPW-TRACKPOPUP-SAMPLECODE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 10:26 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: Color Quickdraw on Macintosh SE

To the best of my knowledge, Color QuickDraw will NOT be supported, now or
in the future, on the Macintosh SE.  It will, however, be the basis of any
new machines to follow in the Macintosh II's path. A color monitor attached
to the Macintosh SE will be limited to the traditional Macintosh color scheme
of 8 colors.  (Right now SuperMac and several other companies offer large
monochrome monitors for the MacSE that display full-page spreads from 72dpi
to 150dpi resolution.)

Several routines were enhanced to work with Color QuickDraw on the MacII.
For example, the window manager has a separate color record for each new
window to indicate the color of the title bar, scroll bars, grow box, etc.
The Menu Manager also has its own color record for specifying colors for the
check boxes, command key, and apple symbols.  TextEdit now has style records
for retaining formatted, color text.

Apple has ONE large source code file for the ROM in all Macintoshes.  It has
conditional assembly directives to produce the different "flavors" of the
Macintosh ROM: right now the MacPlus, MacSE, and MacII.  Thus, any changes to
a particular routine will be reflected in the ROMs on all other machines.
Since many routines were extended to interface with Color QuickDraw,
these changes were reflected in both new machines: the Macintosh II and the
MacSE.  However, since the MacSE does NOT have Color QuickDraw itself to
produce 32-bit color, these extra color-specific records will be ignored
(though information stored in them will be retained).

I doubt that Apple will release Color QuickDraw as a System File patch.  That
would be a rather large, memory-hogging routine.  I shudder to think of a
RAM-based Color QuickDraw.   But then again, remember RAM-based HFS?

Date: 15 May 87 00:55:45 GMT
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: More ideas on Multisync & Mac II

Both earlier messages in V5 #87 suggested ground->ground, red->red,
green->green, blue->blue.  One suggested wiring composite sync (3->4)
as well; the other complained of fuzzy output.

From Apple's March 1987 spec sheets for the new products:

Macintosh II Video Card
   Output signals
        * Video: RS343 standard...
        * Sync: Composite; negative-going TTL
AppleColor High-Resolution RGB Monitor
   Input signals
        * Red, green, and blue video signals using RS-343 standard
        * Composite synchronization, negative-going TTL

Now I'm no electronics expert, but that sure suggests to me that the
composite sync line is important.

It's possible that the earlier mention of impedance may only be a
second-order effect.  If the only way to get the impedance right
is the Apple cable, Apple does not list their video cable separately
on their price list.

 Joel West
 {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww      (ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)
 jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    if you must

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 1987 08:17-EDT
From: Tom.Lane@zog.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: PC-paint to MacPaint (INFO-MAC V5 #89)

[I'd respond directly to Don Kovach, but he didn't give an adequate
net address.]

The April issue of Personal Publishing reviews a PC program called The
Missing Link, which seems to do what you want.  It interconverts among
8 (!) different bitmap-graphics file formats, one of which is MacPaint
and the other seven are various PC programs' formats (PC Paint is
included).  Getting the MacPaint data onto or off of the PC's disk is
still your problem, though.  (I imagine you can handle that with some
communication program.)

The program is $99 from PC Quik-Art, (800) 523-1796 or (404) 543-1779.
Get it now, as they will be raising the price soon when they add more
file formats (sez the review)...
Usual disclaimer: I don't know anything about this company.

Isn't it nice to work on a Mac, where there's only one graphics file
format?  (Well, two if you count startup screens.  Note that those seven
formats are all for MacPaint-equivalent bitmap graphics... no
object-oriented graphics included.)

                                tom lane

ARPA: lane@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU
UUCP: ...!seismo!zog.cs.cmu.edu!lane
BITNET: lane%zog.cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 12:37:20 CST
From: "John Bertram Geis (Syzygy Darklock)" <GEISJBJ@UREGINA1>
Subject: Mac SE and System 4.0/Finder 5.4

   I was stunned!  For a full minute I stood there, speechless and unable
to think clearly.  Then, the full realization sank in and I whooped for joy!
Why you might ask (and very well you might indeed, as I would if I was in
your place...).  The reason was, that as I returned to the labs after a week
log absence, I discovered that the MacPlus in the graphics lab had been
replaced with a Mac SE!  Oh joy, oh heaven!  True advancement at last, onwards
and upwards as they say.  I had given up hope of being able to play around
with an SE until I could afford to buy my own, but now the university had
actually forced themselves to spend some money (and around this campus, that
is indeed a miracle in itself!).
    Gurgling with happiness ("gurgling", where did I get that from??), I sat
down before the machine and turned on the power (after groping for the switch,
that is, I didn't know that it had been shifted and shrunk).  Ah, the joy of
it all, they even bought the one with the internal hard drive!  No longer do
I need to go groping through my pile of disks to do something!
    Then, THE Professor walked into the room (yes, I said THE).  It seems that
there have also been bought another 20 or 30 more SE's, that have not yet been
delivered, and that there are plans to set up an...an... an OPEN MACINTOSH LAB!
Truly amazing! (at this time there are only about 4 or 5 of them on campus, and
they're all in the Grad Student "restricted access" labs.)  Ahh, it's going to
be so good to be a MacHack on this campus in the next few months.  (hmm, I
wonder what the chances are of getting put in charge of setting up the lab?
Have to look into that one...)

     But, enough of my ramblings, on to the real reason for this letter.
I have just now seen the new System 4.0/Finder 5.4 operating system
(until the SE arrived, the most advanced system on campus was my System 3.0
version).  Now, this system contains a number of new files which I have
never seen in the old versions of the op systems. These are namely:
      MOUSE            KEYBOARD             KEY LAYOUT
      STARTUP DEVICE   and GENERAL
     Now, the question is, what do these files do?  Since they are all System
files, I would assume that they are simply separate files containing the same
(but more advanced) routines that were included IN the old system files.  But,
do these files do anything in particular that I should know about.  (ie., do I
have to include these files in the RamDisk that I usually create to hold my
Operating System?)  What exactly do each of them do? (especially the GENERAL
one.  The rest I can take pretty good guesses at.)
     Secondly, what is everyone's opinion on the "universality" of this
system?  I usually work on a Mac 512 with 400K drives (and likely still will
be for a couple of weeks until the other SE's arrive).  Has anybody found any
problems in using the old 64K roms with it?  Should I avoid using it on this
machine, and just stick with the 3.0 system I'm using now?

    Send all of your answers to me and I'll summarize them all and post them
to the digest for everyone to see.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
     _________
    | _______ |
    ||       ||
    |_________|
Acknowledge-To: <GEISJBJ@UREGINA1>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 15:46 CST
From: MBORSETT%NUACC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: LaserWriter Plus clone MUCH better than original??

This month's MacWorld has an interesting article on LaserWriter-compatible
printers.  According to the article, the QMS PS-800 Plus stands as _the_
printer for the Macintosh.

Quoting: "The PS-800 beats the LaserWriter by a length, but the PS-800 Plus
beats the LeaseWriter Plus by a mile.  The fastest printer of the four tested,
the PS-800 Plus is the only printer running PostScript version 44, which is
faster than earlier versions and far more memory efficient." The article ends
with saying "unless you have a service contract with (or stock in) Apple,
there's no reason to consider a LaserWriter Plus over a PS-800 Plus."  BTW, the
PS-800 is also $300 cheaper than the LW Plus!!

This article really made me feel ignorant.  I haven't even _heard_ of a QMS
printer, and don't even talk about it being the _best_ PostScript laser printer
for the Mac!

Does anyone knows about or has direct experience with this printer?  The office
I work with is relying on me to buy a laser printer, and after this article I'm
not sure that the LaserWriter Plus is the printer that we should get.

Comments anyone, or are you all flattered by this article as I am?

Mike Borsetti

Bitnet:   mborsetti@nuacc.bitnet
MCI Mail: mborsetti
Telex:    6502526746 MCI UW
FidoNet:  115/729  (312-729-8768, member EchoMAC)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 16:41:32 PDT
From: digiorgi@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: BBS Software?

I am considering setting up a BBS for our Users Group.  Does anyone
have suggestions/experience with BBS software packages for the
Macintosh?  I'll summarize and post replies if there is sufficient
input.

thanks in advance.

Godfrey DiGiorgi
digiorgi@jpl-vlsi
May 14, 1987

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 May 87 09:44 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #40

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, May 16, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 40

Today's Topics:
     4th Dimension aka Silver Surfer
     LaserWriter Plus clone MUCH better than original?
     what's different between sys 4.1 and 4.0? (2 messages)
     System 4.1/Finder 5.5/PC MacKey kb bug
     Re: what's different between sys 4.1 and 4.0?
     Re: MacWrite 4.5 bombs on MacII  Help!!!
     Re: Positioning the Mac Cursor?
     Apple Monochrome Monitor
     _Launch revisited
     Broken compilers
     RoDime hard drive info needed
     fooling Macwrite (and maybe others)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-40.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 May 87 09:44 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #41

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, May 16, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
     Startup Volumes; LaserWriter
     Re: System 4.1/Finder 5.5/PC MacKey kb bug
     THIRD TRY -- LSP Patch
     Passing EventRecords to DA's in LSC
     AztecC and MacSE
     Re: RoDime hard drive info needed
     alternate character set
     Re: what's different between sys 4.1 and 4.0?
     annoying bug in Lightspeed Pascal when used with Switcher
     Re: nonstandard baud rates
     Mac to Apollo
     Partial list of Math packages
     Re: what's different between sys 4.1 and 4.0?
     Job at Apple Computer
     Request for Music File Formats
     Can anybody help me get my kinetics/kip/cap on straight
     Re: system 4.1 woes
     Graphics Help?
     Re: Passing EventRecords to DA's in LSC
     Re: Broken compilers
     Keyboard problems
     Macintosh Text Editors (long)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-41.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest