[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #28

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (05/19/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Tuesday, May 19, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 28

Today's Topics:
     RE: Laser Prep 4.0 patch/Miniwriter
     re: 3 Questions & 1 Flame
     LISA Help (3 messages)
     Shadowgate
     more stack (2 messages)
     IW spool files (2 messages)
     Downloadable fonts, Altsys (4 messages)
     Tiler bug for 4.1 users (3 messages)
     Laser Spoolers (2 messages)
     Kanji Printer Interface "Print Jack"
     Excel 1.04
     4.1 Menu Manager
     HyperCharger 020 (9 messages)
     RE: 68020 upgrades for SE
     ADDISON WESLEY
     Draw 30 and New System!
     swapping SE floppy and hard disks
     LISA-HELP? XL (2 messages)
     Centram TOPS BBS
     Excel 1.04: Yay! (2 messages)
     Radius 68020 board (3 messages)
     Mac II Trinitrons (2 messages)
     Desktop bus mice (9 messages)
     68020 upgrades for SE
     File/Disk Bug Fixes: Copy II 6.5
     re: MacSmalltalk 0.4
     Toshiba 24 pin printer

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Laser Prep 4.0 patch/Miniwriter (Re: Msg 19771)
Date: 12-MAY 04:08 User Supported Software

Oops, I didn't proofread; there isn't a space.  Also, it helps to have a
POST TMPL in your copy of ResEdit.  I believe I created mine by
duplicating the one for STR# and renaming it.

The correct PostScript should be
 {}mark T /Helvetica /|______Helvetica 0 rf
 10 fz 0 fs 2 F /|______Helvetica fnt

(and I think the {} is necessary; I got that by capturing PostScript
output with pretzel-F).

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: 3 Questions & 1 Flame (Re: Msg 19773)
Date: 12-MAY 04:08 Network Digests

 >From: UWACDC.BITNET
 >Subject: 3 Questions & 1 Flame

I'm told LoDOWN's new address and phone is 10 Victor Square, Suite #200,
Scotts Valley, CA 95066, 408/95066.

Doesn't LsP have the nifty segmenting feature of LsC?  It's never been a
problem (unless you write your code in huge files rather than splitting
it up into manageable pieces).

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: LISA Help
Date: 12-MAY 18:07 Hardware & Peripherals

I have been given an original LISA with a 10 MEG HD in good condition
along with the LISA software. Before I try to unload it, can someone
help me and give me what information is available to convert it to a
"KIND OF MAC"?  I realize that I will have to find a copy of MACWORKS
somewhere(any help?) but I also understand that there may be a KIT with
new ROMS and other hardware that can be purchased. Does anyone have any
knowledge in this area?  Thanks in advance. Bill Taylor FMBBS
803-548-0900

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: LISA Help (Re: Msg 19828)
Date: 13-MAY 05:27 Hardware & Peripherals

The first advice is to look in any copy of Macazine.  Their "Orphan
Support" column has been a regular feature.  The NetWorkers ((415)
454-7607) used to advertise, but now we find their principals writing
the column! (a turnabout in some ways from the Macazine's contributor
Jerry Daniels, who openly confesses to writing the articles in order to
repay his advertising bill!)

Dafax, in New York, also advertising in the same magazine, is at (orders
and information (800-323-1751) (Technical & Customer Support
(718-746-8220) or in Pennsylvania call (215) 574-0357.

I have no connection with any of them.  I would advise you to get a
memory board if you don't have a megabyte already.  I have an extra
board (as do most of the folks who have a Lisa) but want a little more
than the guy across town who got one for $75.

There are other things you can get for the Lisa but in general, you
should find it a pretty solid piece of hardware.  Don't worry about it
overheating, for example:  it will shut itself off, first the video,
then the entire machine at 195 degrees F.  This is _one_ of the reasons
Apple discontinued it - too much hardware for the money - also too
little customers for the hardware...

Hmm.  I think I'll give them a call this morning, burn a little plastic
or something.

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: LISA Help (Re: Msg 19851)
Date: 13-MAY 21:10 Hardware & Peripherals

**Hot Flash **

(Gee, I must be getting old.  Not that old?!)

I spoke with both Dafax and the NetWorkers today.  These companies are
selling products for the Lisa and Macintosh XL.  The big news is, the
sales manager at the NetWorkers says, MacWorks 4.0 is out!  Apparently a
large company with a large number of Lisas did some heavy leaning, so
Apple allocated the time to implement HFS.  They will use third parties
to market it, probably for reasons political.  I would imagine certain
decision-makers there have not yet been reminded by their subordinates
that they have egg on their collective faces.

The level of software is apparently up to "Hard Disk 20", which means
HFS is in but the other 128K ROM traps are not.  When I get the
software, I will have more info.

Not too much else, unless you absolutely need a 20Meg internal drive to
replace the parallel port in your Lisa (2/10 or 2/5).  What the Lisa
needs is: 1) an accellerator card; 2) a sound card so Macintosh software
won't bomb.

On the other hand, what _I_ need is a Macintosh II.  I got my $1500,
J.S., want to make a trade?

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACBLACK
Subject: Shadowgate
Date: 12-MAY 19:11 Games and Entertainment

Well guys, it is out, and it is good. If you aren't aware, Shadowgate is
the next graphic adventure from Mindscape. Go to your store and BUY!
BUY!  BUY! Alex

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: more stack
Date: 10-MAY 21:07 Programming Techniques

Does anyone know a good trick for temporarily allocating more stack
space if it's available (to do a large CopyBits, for instance). I don't
want to modify the application heap limit since this would permanently
remove a large block of memory from heap space.

Joe

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: more stack (Re: Msg 1592)
Date: 11-MAY 01:32 Programming Techniques

You may not be able to.  MoveHHi propoagates things to the top of the
heap that subsequently get locked.  Once that happens you are out of
luck.

peter

------------------------------

From: MER
Subject: IW spool files
Date: 11-MAY 21:27 Programming Techniques

Does anyone know the format of Imagewriter spool files?  I need to be
able to turn them into bit maps?  Has it ever been documented?
Help!!!!!

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: IW spool files (Re: Msg 1595)
Date: 11-MAY 21:42 Programming Techniques

Spool files are QuickDraw PICTs, more or less.  You could hack around
with the Tech Note that describes QD format (but not for implementation,
as the data structure is guaranteed to change without notice!).  You
could also use Glue to convert the spooled output into a more manageable
form.

Look in the printing manager documentation for more information.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Downloadable fonts, Altsys
Date: 12-MAY 21:31 Bugs & Features

It turned out my problem with Laser Prep 4.0 and one downloadable font
was cured by regenerating the bitmap for the font; apparently the FOND
was invalid.

Doing the regeneration was a bit of a problem, however.  All of Altsys's
font programs are written in Megamax C, and there's apparently a bug in
Megamax where it uses low memory globals.  System 4.1 also uses these
globals, so I could only run Fontographer on a System 3.2 machine.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Downloadable fonts, Altsys (Re: Msg 19833)
Date: 13-MAY 00:34 Bugs & Features

Have you tried patching Fontographer to use a different area of memory?

peter

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: Downloadable fonts, Altsys (Re: Msg 19839)
Date: 13-MAY 03:24 Bugs & Features

David,

As reported elsewhere's (also by me) programs written using Megamax can
be fixed to run with System 4.1 by changing two references to BasicGlobs
($2b6) to refer to ApplScratch ($a78)  It would probably be a good idea
to make sure that the program doesn't already user ApplScratch.  The
only program I've actually tried this with, and guaranteed that, in that
case at least, it works is UW.

David

BTW, BasicGlobs was the >last< available (to Apple, not programmers) low
memory variable to be reallocated.  It got used to point to a block of
more low memory variables.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Downloadable fonts, Altsys (Re: Msg 19848)
Date: 13-MAY 18:56 Bugs & Features

You *can't* patch Fontographer because they encrypt themselves!  I
already tried the patch (only one place was found) and it didn't work.
They said that they expect a fixed version (with new features) to be
ready by the end of this month. Upgrades will be $30.  It is now written
in LSC.

                                               Jeff

P.S. They have *no* plans on dropping the copy protection due to the way
Fontastic was pirated.  Version 2.2.1 (the latest version that is out)
defies all the current copy programs to even make a duplicate of the key
disk, let alone break it.

------------------------------

From: WSMITH
Subject: Tiler bug for 4.1 users
Date: 12-MAY 23:37 Public Domain

Due to the wild new Menu Manager in System 4.1, users of LightspeedC
(and possibly some other applications) will notice strange behavior in
the menu bar when using Tiler.  Normally, the problem is only one of
appearance, but in one case the Lightspeed Windows menu disappeared,
which was bad. I will try to get this fixed before I leave for Thailand
on Monday, but if I don't get a chance, be aware of the problem.

- Walt

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Tiler bug for 4.1 users (Re: Msg 19838)
Date: 13-MAY 00:48 Public Domain

Along the same lines, Excel has some difficulty under release 4.1 with
Desk Accessories that have their own menus.

peter

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Subject: RE: Tiler bug for 4.1 users (Re: Msg 19844)
Date: 13-MAY 06:48 Public Domain

And, I'm told, even with some of its own menus ('Options'?).

------------------------------

From: 9898STEVEM
Subject: Laser Spoolers
Date: 13-MAY 06:19 Mousing Around

Hi Everybody

I am New to Mac Icontact. The forum messages are great. I luv the bit of
humor there as well. Anyway, down to a question I have got.......What is
the best Laser spooler to use?? Have tried LaserServe but it has
problems when you print multiple copies of a one page document.
Laserspeed is great except it will only work with the 3.2 drivers(maybe
an update is available???). I have a pre-release LaserShare but havent
been able to make it work (Yet!!!!).

Any Ideas guys (and Gals).........

Regards

Steve

PS Couldnt resist putting a joke in (Only heard it today-The time over
here, by the way, is 10:30 pm).......What is the definition of debate??
De bait is what lures de fish !!!!  (Well......I liked it)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Laser Spoolers (Re: Msg 19855)
Date: 13-MAY 06:48 Mousing Around

Hi Steve, welcome aboard!  I have found LaserSpeed the best out of the
ones I've tried, and I used the older LaserWriter/Laser Prep files when
I switched to System 4.0.  I haven't tried it with the new System 4.1
stuff though.

Ric

------------------------------

From: UJL0012
Subject: Kanji Printer Interface "Print Jack"
Date: 13-MAY 06:48 Hardware & Peripherals

     This is a notice to all Mac users who are either interested or
would like to use the Japanese language.

     "Basic House" located in the prefecture of Tochigi in Japan has
started the shipment of a Japanese language printer interface box by the
name of Print Jack as of May 11.  The retail price is 45,000 yen.

     Print Jack enables the connection of the Mac to various 24-dot
Kanji printers sold by, for instance, Epson, NEC and Brother.  By using
it along with Kanji Talk or Egword, the use of kanji and graphics will
be possible.

     The following is a list of Kanji Printers which may be connected
(the model numbers are those of domestic models in Japan):

     NEC:  PC-PR201   Epson:  HG-2500   Brother:  M-1724P   Star:  AR-2410
           PC-PR101           VP-2500             M-1024P          TR-24CL
           PC-PR406           VP-135K
           NM-9000            VP-130K
           PC-PR-TL           VP-85K

     Since the Imagewriter uses an 8-dot printer head, there was always
a problem that the printed image of a complicated kanji character did
not appear as clearly as it should.  In Japan, therefore, various
companies have come up with printers having very fine 24-dot printer
heads.  Unfortunately, it was not possible to connect the Mac with these
printers.  One software company came up with a printer driver for the
Epson Kanji Printer.  This, however, could not print out graphics.

     Of the printers listed hereinabove, for instance Epson's ink-jet
printer HG-2500 has not only Kanji characters (JIS-1, JIS-2) but some
English fonts in its ROM.  As a matter of course, the English fonts
printed out using it are very beautiful.  In the case of other printers
which do not have English fonts in their ROMs, the English fonts will be
printed out using the 8-dot mode. However, even in this case, the fonts
printed out using such printers will be more precise due to the fact
that it uses a finer pin.  Empirically, graphics printed out using these
printers appear to be slightly smaller than those printed out using
Imagewriter.

     The size of Print Jack is the same as Apple's 800K external drive.
The price includes that of the AC/DC converter.

     Name:  Basic House

     Address:  503-1 Takebayashi-cho
               Utsunomiya City, Tochigi 321
               Japan

     Telephone No.: 0286-22-9811
     Facsmile No. : 0286-25-3970

(disclaimer)
     I am only a user of Print Jack and have no other relationship
whatsoever with Basic House.  I have posted this message since it will
be very helpful to those who wish to print out clear Japanese writing.

     Junichiro

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Excel 1.04
Date: 13-MAY 12:34 Business Mac

Microsoft has announced that they are shipping Excel 1.04, an upgrade to
support the Mac II, fix some bugs (not DA support, unfortunately), and
add a "change links" command.  It is to be free to Excel 1.03 owners.
More information is available at 1-800-426-9400 (206-882-8088 in WA and
Alaska). I'm having lots of bombs with Excel and System 4.1.  I sure
hope this fixes them.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: 4.1 Menu Manager
Date: 13-MAY 01:25 Macintosh Developers

Seems that the new 4.1 Menu Manager breaks the odd few bits of code.
Here's what I've discovered so far:
  1. AddResMenu seems to have changed. When I changed to 4.1, "Postscript
     Escape" turned up twice in MacWrite etc. font menus. I checked the
     FONT and FOND resources, but couldn't see anything odd...
  2. Pop-up menus using the technique given in MacTutor some time back (with
     the initialization fix for the Mac Plus) sometimes go wild, and the
     menu text moves down half a line. Only sometimes. I've seen this in some
     of my code, and once in LSC's titlebar drop down menus.

I'm looking into the problems. If I ever figure out what's happening,
I'll post a note.
    Cheers, Dewi.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: HyperCharger 020
Date: 13-MAY 19:53 Hardware & Peripherals

I just stuck a General Computer HyperCharger 020 in the Mac SE.  It
wasn't hard, but I was glad someone warned on one of the nets to be
careful of the circuit board on the end of the CRT so you don't break
the CRT and cause an implosion.

First impressions:

It's not awesome.

It *is* very, very responsive.

The disk access light stays on  almost constantly.  This sucker is I/O
bound.

There's a special INIT that somehow tells the world that the 68881 is
present (do a help in Excel to hear about the "math chip" being there.)

There's a neat control panel module that lets you choose GCC SANE or
Apple SANE and patch traps so dumb old MacWrite will work.

I'm using a beta version of Red Ryder and it seems OK.  Haven't run much
of anything else yet.  Word 3.0 didn't bomb.  I don't know why not.

It comes with an extra 1MB in 4 256K SIMMs.

The boards, logic and expansion together, are surprisingly weighty.

Yeah, applications start up *real* fast.  Except for that I/O delay.

Word processors (like Word 3) now scroll as fast as text-only programs
like QUED.

Acta still takes a while to open a big file; alternating between disk
and CPU

The screen now has very subtle waves moving vertically, about 1/2" apart
(white lines)

I like it a lot.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19867)
Date: 13-MAY 22:45 Hardware & Peripherals

Second impressions:

A good user interface *gobbles* up computer resources to an amazing
degree.

Tests:  DMCS 2.0 bombs right away, as does MOTU Performer. DiskFit and
HFS Backup (2.01) both did incremental backups successfully and quickly.
 HFS incremental still took a while for 1600 files, but was definitely 4
times faster.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19876)
Date: 14-MAY 06:39 Hardware & Peripherals

DiskTimer II results using the HyperCharger 020/68881 System on a
DataFrame 40XP were 50, 50, 17.  (two trials)

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19885)
Date: 14-MAY 08:33 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm finding that some of the discoveries about the HyperDrive 2000 are
also true of this 68020 HyperCharger SE... most importantly, that the
basic character of the Macintosh is unchanged.  It seems we have an
enormous ability to absorb computer power.  I thought this system would
be instantaneous, incredible.  But it's not.  Slow things are still
*relatively* slow.  Fast things are faster.  Overall the computer is
much more responsive.  But the responsiveness is not overwhelming.  It's
still not *too* fast.  The speed increase is such that I get more work
done; it's not a wasted blast of speed, like having a drag-racer on the
highway.  It's more like a very fine, but balanced vehicle (Porsche 944
or 928 for you enthusiasts).

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19916)
Date: 15-MAY 09:23 Hardware & Peripherals

Is there an option to bypass the 020?

Rick

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19918)
Date: 15-MAY 09:46 Hardware & Peripherals

No.  There are compatibility options in the HyperCharger module of the
Control Panel: SANE can be GCC, Apple, or off (if you have a 68881), the
68020 on-cpu instruction cache can be turned off or on, but always comes
on at startup, and you can choose a hack to make MacWrite run on the
68020.

One very interesting thing is that GCC says that AppleTalk will not work
correctly unless the 68020 instruction cache is ON.  So, your
compatibility is even less configurable when you are using AppleTalk.

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19919)
Date: 15-MAY 19:25 Hardware & Peripherals

hmmm.....what are the technical specifics of the processor (speed, wait
states, etc.)

 just curiouser and curiouser

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19923)
Date: 15-MAY 19:59 Hardware & Peripherals

The 68020 is running at 16MHz.  I don't know about wait states.  The
68881 is a 12MHz version according to the label on the chip, and there
are some jumpers on the board to switch between 12MHz and 16MHz '881's.
Other jumpers determine the memory configuration of the SE and of the
HyperCharger.  The HyperCharger has 4 SIMMs, using 256K chips (120 ns.
for compatibility with the faster processor), and they can be replaced
with 1M SIMMs, so you can get some pretty serious memory in there.  The
HyperCharger memory is accessed via a 32-bit path, so it's faster than
the Mac-native memory access.  GCC recommends devoting all the Mac RAM
to cache.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: HyperCharger 020 (Re: Msg 19925)
Date: 15-MAY 20:24 Hardware & Peripherals

I just ran my processor speed test: using PackIt III to compress Excel
1.03, and the HyperCharger came out virtually identical to a prototype
Mac II in speed.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: 68020 upgrades for SE (Re: Msg 19958)
Date: 18-MAY 18:11 Hardware & Peripherals

=================
 update ...
================

Compatibility report - HyperCharger 020/Mac SE
This report is preliminary.  The testing has not been extensive.

Bombs:
------
Hitting Mac Interrupt button causes crash unless
68020 instruction cache is turned off with Control
Panel module.

DMCS 2.0
FreeTerm
Performer
MacWrite (if compatibility options not used)

*Serious Problems:
------------------
(Red Ryder beta)
Smartcom II 2.2
ShowSizes
SuperSpool

OK in limited testing (* means more extensive use)
Acta *
AppleLink 4
Calculator +
CopyII Mac 6.4 (block copy *)
Cricket Graph
Da Mob
Desktop Express *
DiskFit *
DiskTimer II
DiskTop *
Excel 1.04 *
FileMaker Plus
Font/DA Mover 3.4 patched
Hard Disk Partition
HeapShow
HFS Backup 2.01 *
MacDraw 2.0 *
MaxPrint 1.3 *
miniWRITER *
MockTerminal  *
Omnis 3 Plus 3.24 *
PackIt III, v. 1.2 *
PowerStation
QUED 1.54
RamDisk+
RAMStart 1.32 *
ResEdit 1.1d3
SCSI Bus control panel module
SetClock 1.6 *
SuperPaint *
Word 3.00 *

Compatibility Issues
--------------------
The HyperCharger INIT file doesn't seem to be
compatible with AppleShare.

- Ric Ford -

------------------------------

From: ROSSH
Subject: ADDISON WESLEY
Date: 13-MAY 22:07 Bugs & Features

Has anyone had a problem with Addison Wesley. Am trying to get Inside
Mac vols 1&4 (4 on order from APDA). Local retailers (WaldenBooks,
Daltons, and others) are irate, upset, and ticked off with them. They
have been told that IM is out of stock and they have no current plans to
reprint! Can anyone confirm?

If true, shouldn't Apple get involved. It is quite unusual to see more
than one bookstore owner fly off the handle at the mention of the name
Addison Wesley! PS..the retail cost is the same as the APDA cost.
Doesn't seem right somehow. Oh yes, one owner was told AW was interested
in textbooks not computer books in priority.

------------------------------

From: INC
Subject: Draw 30 and New System!
Date: 14-MAY 13:13 Bugs & Features

Am having some serious problems with  the new system and MacDraw here at
work. We have 3 Macs (2 +'s, one 512ke) and it's giving us a major
headache.  What happens is that when you're typing text, after hitting
two returns, spaces or a combo thereof, the Mac semi-hangs. You then can
not type anything else unless you click the mouse and when you click the
mouse, the text you were working on either moves to some seemingly
random space on the page or totally disapears.

Help!

Any ideas?

    Joshua

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: swapping SE floppy and hard disks
Date: 14-MAY 18:22 Hardware & Peripherals

I had some confusion about what was required to switch between the
second floppy drive and an internal hard disk in the Mac SE.
Apparently, the only consideration is cables.  If you buy an SE with 2
floppies, you don't get the power cable that connects an SE hard disk
with the analog board. Or a SCSI cable.  According to one of the
technical support guys at Warp 9, there aren't any other hidden
differences between the two versions.

Ric

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: LISA-HELP? XL
Date: 15-MAY 06:39 Hardware & Peripherals

I have finally gotten my Lisa XL up and running. When I put in the
memory card for an additional 512k, I started haveing problems(not
memory problems, tried 2 cards). After a while, the screen goes blank
and the system is in effect, shupt down however the power does not go
off. I suspected a Heat problem and put a small fan over the holes in
the top of the case( moves a little air only). everything seems to be
OK. Is there a way to readjust the shut down sensor?? I am sure I have
no actual HW problems. ANy suggestions?? BIll Taylor FMBBS running on XL
and FAN 803-548-0900

------------------------------

From: AESOP
Subject: RE: LISA-HELP? XL (Re: Msg 19915)
Date: 17-MAY 07:01 Hardware & Peripherals

Bill,

First, the XL screen dims automatically after a short period without
getting keyboard input, the mouse moving, or having a disk inserted.
The screen will brighten automatically when any of those events occurs.

There _are_ some cases when the XL will indeed be hung in a screen-dark
state with no way to power-off or escape.  These are rare, and normally
due to some program accessing a memory location normally reserved for
memory-mapped hard- ware.  Do the words "program bug" mean anything to
you?

If your Lisa has the internal Hard disk (a "2/10") I would suspect a fan
of some sort is already in it.  At least, I have always felt a slight
breeze on the right (disk drive) side of mine while it is running.

The power-on/power-off button generates an interrupt that asks the rest
of the machine to switch power.  I always choose "Shut Down" from the
Finder's menus, but you might try holding the mouse down while pushing
the power switch or something like that.  The software does not _have_
to answer the power-switch interrupt if it has better things to do.

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Centram TOPS BBS
Date: 15-MAY 09:09 Business Mac

I don't remember seeing this info before, so here it is:

Centram, Inc., the company which sells the TOPS networking software, has
set up a bulletin board (300/1200/2400 baud; 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity)
called TOPS Talk at 415-549-5955.  The bulletin board contains software
updates notes and discussion about the products.  Centram is in
Berkeley, CA, at 415-549-5900.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Excel 1.04: Yay!
Date: 15-MAY 19:55 Business Mac

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but Excel 1.04 passed a rough initial
test.  Using the HyperCharged Mac SE, and System 4.1, I opened a 90K
Acta file, modified it and saved it.  No bomb!!!!  Go Microsoft!

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Excel 1.04: Yay! (Re: Msg 19924)
Date: 15-MAY 20:11 Business Mac

Just to show that all the brain damage has not been fixed... Excel 1.04
continues to intercept Command-Z and Command-C from desk accessories
such as MockTerminal, making use of this telecommunications tool very
awkward.

Ric

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: Radius 68020 board
Date: 15-MAY 20:44 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

Have you had an opportunity to spend some time with the Radius 68020
board?

-Rod

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Radius 68020 board (Re: Msg 19931)
Date: 15-MAY 21:28 Hardware & Peripherals

No I haven't.  It is less expensive, and I'm curious to see whether it
has provision for a 68851 PMMU.  (The HyperCharger doesn't, although it
seems to have some expandability, and BigPicture compatibility is
advertised.)

Ric

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: RE: Radius 68020 board (Re: Msg 19933)
Date: 15-MAY 23:12 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

It has the 16mhz 881 math chip, but it doesn't support the 851 PMMU
chip. Andy has indicated that it slows down performance and is not very
useful in the Mac enviornment.  He believes the 68030 will obsolete the
851, since it has it's own built-in MMU and software to take advantage
of the 851 will perhaps be some time in coming.

I've ordered two Radius Accelerator boards with the FPD board and FPD's,
for Mac Plus's, hoping for a mid June delivery.  I'll keep in touch with
you on this . . . we may have some interesting notes to exchange.

On an earlier matter- Tangent Tech sent me PC MacKey v2.2 which has
fixed the System 4.1 problem.  Are you using v2.2 on your Tangent?

-Rod

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: Mac II Trinitrons
Date: 15-MAY 23:27 Hardware & Peripherals

The remark on a recent Usenet digest regarding the 'characteristic
trinitron line' got me curious and I did some checking.  Turns out, as
far as I can tell, all Sony Trinitrons screens have a faint line across
the screen about 2/3 of the way down.  It shows up on my prototype color
monitor for the Mac II and I went to an appliance store today and say it
there too.

Does anyone have a good explanation for this?  Its not super noticeable
but after you find out about it, it gets annoying.

Does anyone who has observed the SuperMac monitors first hand noticed a
similar problem?  Actually, can someone who has actually seen one of
these screens post an impression?

Paul :(

------------------------------

From: RODPAINE
Subject: RE: Mac II Trinitrons (Re: Msg 19940)
Date: 16-MAY 11:18 Hardware & Peripherals

Paul,

What you are seeing is part of the mask assy support, it's in all
Trinitrons I've ever used, including my $5000. broadcast monitors at
work.  It's more apparent to you since you're looking at a solid
background, as opposed to a video picture thas always changing.  I have
other info on the Trinitron, but it's at work.  Be happy to share it
with you, if your interested.

-Rod

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: Desktop bus mice
Date: 15-MAY 23:36 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm experiencing a problem with the mouse on my Mac II.  Sometimes the
mouse button likes to pretend it's staying down, even after I release
it. The problem is evident when using scroll bars.  The phantom press
goes away when I move the mouse a bit.

Anyone else with the same problem?  How about on SEs?

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Desktop bus mice (Re: Msg 19943)
Date: 15-MAY 23:43 Hardware & Peripherals

I have seen no sign of this problem on the SE, with or without the
HyperCharger.  I do notice the SE mouse is a little slower than the Plus
mouse.  Do you know the desktop bus well enough to comment on how the
mice might be different or not in design?  Could one be switched for the
other without a major hardware project?

Ric

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: Desktop bus mice (Re: Msg 19945)
Date: 15-MAY 23:43 Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone seen a desktop bus joystick?  best jim

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Date: 16-MAY 04:05 Hardware & Peripherals

Old mice and ADB mice are quite different in their interfacing.  The
latter has a microprocessor in it to interface to the ADB.  Anyway, the
speed of the mouse is very likely a function of the hardware and
software on the other end of the wire.

------------------------------

From: 9898STEVEM
Date: 16-MAY 05:56 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm getting a problem with my mouse on an SE. It's not staying down but
it tends to "bounce" on me ie I get a double click when I don't want it.
This seems to be a problem with a lot of desk top bus mice. We have
about twenty SE's at work and about half do it. Wierd thing is my GS
does'nt have the problem at all. Maybe it's with the SE and II. A
problem with the ADB chip????

Regards
       Steve :-}

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Desktop bus mice (Re: Msg 19954)
Date: 16-MAY 08:42 Hardware & Peripherals

This sounds like an intermittent connection, which could be a plug not
in quite right, or a break in the wire (a tiny one) or a bad button
(switch)

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 16-MAY 16:25 Hardware & Peripherals

Take a look at the serial numbers on the mice that act up.  Are they
part of the same batch?  (I've never seen enough Macs in one place to
know if you can tell by looking at the numbers.)  Also, does the
bounciness move with the mouse if you attach it to an Mac that doesn't
exhibit the problem?

peter

------------------------------

From: AESOP
Subject: RE: Desktop bus mice (Re: Msg 19957)
Date: 16-MAY 23:05 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

Early versions of MacWorks for the Lisa had the same type of problem,
which was not really hardware-related.

MacWorks XL (actually, anything after 1.0) fixed the problem, and my
Lisa 2/10 tracks the mouse extremely well.  I bought a Lisa 2/5 last
year, _cheap_, and its mouse is loose, as the plug lacks nuts for the
locking screws.  It does have some vagueness with the mouse, but very
rarely.  Normally, it is as responsive as, well, a Macintosh clocked at
5 MHz.

Cheers,

Laird

------------------------------

From: 9898STEVEM
Subject: RE: Desktop bus mice (Re: Msg 19984)
Date: 17-MAY 04:11 Hardware & Peripherals

The other problem is with the new system file "Easy Access". I manage to
turn on the sticky keys feature at the darndest moments - just when i'm
wanting to do shift-clicks etc. It becomes a pain after a while.

Regards
        Steve :-}

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: 68020 upgrades for SE
Date: 16-MAY 09:22 Hardware & Peripherals

One issue I haven't seen discussed is disabling 68020 upgrades after you
install them in a Mac SE.  What are you supposed to do, disassemble the
Mac every time a program crashes and you want to see if it's an
incompatibility with the '020?  Has anyone heard of a board that can be
switched to 68000-ONLY mode from the outside of the Mac?

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: File/Disk Bug Fixes: Copy II 6.5
Date: 16-MAY 17:11 Bugs & Features

Just received a *very* interesting release from Central Point Software.
It seems they've just released Copy II Mac 6.5, along with fixes for two
significant bugs in the Macintosh disk/file software:

- the upper drive of a two-floppy Mac SE is significantly slower than
the lower drive

- All Macs with 128K ROMs have a bug that writes incorrect file tags to
disks

Central Point claims their "CPS TagFix" file corrects these bugs (I
assume the file is an INIT).  Copy II Mac 6.5 lists for $39.95 and is
available as an upgrade for registered users at $18, including shipping
and handling.

Central Point Software:  503-244-5782.

- Ric -

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: MacSmalltalk 0.4 (Re: Msg 19961)
Date: 16-MAY 23:00 Network Digests

 >From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
 >Subject: MacSmalltalk 0.4

Does the new Smalltalk support different sized screens (specifically my
Radius FPD)?

------------------------------

From: MUSEUM
Subject: Toshiba 24 pin printer
Date: 18-MAY 11:19 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone used the Toshiba 24 pin dot matrix printer with the Mac? I
just got one, and need to either find or write a driver.  I'd appreciate
any comments on the printer's performance and Imagewriter/ laserwriter
compatibility, as well.

-mb

End of Delphi Mac Digest