[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #96

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (05/29/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 28 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 96

Today's Topics:
                           Pascal "Comp" Type
          BUG IN INSIDE MACINTOSH I: QUICKDRAW AND FONT-MANAGER
                      Lisa/MAC XL Hard Disk problem
                    Re: Standardized "calls" (Again!)
                          Fortran(s) Under MPW
          Re:  How to save some $$ for MacII enhanced graphics.
                             Re: Icon Quest
                          System 4.1 Questions
                           More Mac II crashes
                  FWB Hard Disk Backup trouble OOOOPS!
                 Gone Fishing: Another FKEY Screen Saver
                               Disk Ranger
                Screen Lock: Another Screen Saver FKEY...
                             The Lone Ranger
                        Re: computer modern fonts
                      Re: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0
                      re: BinHex 4.0 vs BinHex 5.0
                         Re: Why use BinHex 5.0?
         Addendum to posting "PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared"
                         Re: Long term Mac usage
                            Mac & Typewriters
                   OpCode MIDI interfaces in Palo Alto
                           MIDI INTERFACE INFO
                    Mac SE 68020 Accelerator Cards???

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 08:56:46 EDT
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mitre.ARPA>
Subject: Pascal "Comp" Type

Has anyone used the "comp" type in Pascal applications?  Can a comp type
variable be passed to a routine expecting "extended" type of does the
program need to make conversions.  Any sample code useing "comp" would
be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 14:08:27 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BUG IN INSIDE MACINTOSH I: QUICKDRAW AND FONT-MANAGER

SOME GUYS HERE IN LINZ, AUSTRIA, EUROPE TRIED TO PORT A FONT CALLED
GACHA (OR SOMEHTING LIKE THAT) FROM LILITH TO THE MACINTOSH. IT IS A
NON-PROPORTIONAL FONT ESPECIALLY USEFUL FOR PUBLICATIONS IN COMPUTER
SIENCES. DURING THE PORT, THEY FOUND A NASTY BUG IN INSIDE MACINTOSH I:

ON PAGE I-173 IN THE DESCRIPTION OF CHARWIDTH(); IT READS:
  '...THE VALUE RETURNED....IS THE WIDTH, IF THE SPEC. CHAR. IS DRAWN'
THIS IS NOT TRUE, SINCE PAGE I-233 GIVES THE CORRECT EXPLANATION:
WHEN A CHARACTER OF A PROP. FONT IS DRAWN, THE CURSOR POSITION IS
INCREMENTED BY THE VALUE  GIVEN IN THE WIDTH TABLE. IF THE FONT IS A
NON-PROP. FONT, THE CURSOR POS. IS INCREMENTED BY THE FIELD WIDMAX FROM
THE FONT-INFO.
CHARWIDTH(); ALWAYS RETURNS THE VALUE  FROM THE WIDTH TABLE, NO MATTER
IF THE FONT IS PROPORTIONAL OR NOT. SO FOR A DESIGNER OF A NON-PROP.
FONT IT IS ESENTIALLY IMPORTANT, THAT THE WIDTH TABLE CONTAINS WIDMAX
FOR EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, SINCE SOME PROGRAMS USE CHARWIDTH() TO
DETERMINE THE POSITION OF E.I. TH INSERTION POINT IN A STRING...

I DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS A TECHNOTE ON THIS SUBJECT, BUT MAYBE THIS
MESSAGE WILL HELP SOMEBODY OUT THERE IN NET-LAND.

GREETINGS
ALEXANDER

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 17:11:48 edt
From: moy@nrl-csr.arpa (Gene Moy)
Subject: Lisa/MAC XL Hard Disk problem

Yes, there are some of us who still use the Lisa hardware.

For some time now I have been having periodic problems with the hard disk
on Lisa's running under MacWorks XL.  The symtoms are the machine would
display the 'Sad Mac' and the error number 0F00064 when trying to boot.
This started happening a year ago or so.  I have been told that somehow the
finder on the hard disk gets corrupted.  That was the cause, but there
wasn't a solution.  Well, someone point out an article in the LisaTalk
Report, Vol 2, #13 title "MacWorks bug, or what?".  The artilce explains
that under MFS, the Finder starts to reach its limit at about 400K of
multiple file space, and when the Finder attempts to manage files beyond
its capacity, its performance and reliability deteriorates and finaly the
disk gets currupted.  The article also goes on to say that there is an
"unoffical" repair program, called "Hard Disk Mount", being provided by
Apple to dealers for distribution to Lisa/Mac XL customers.  (The program
is supposed to be a beta-release without part number, and no revised copy
will be provided).  Try as I might, I can't seem to find a dealer in the
Washington, DC area to give or sell me a copy.

Can anyone on this bulletin board help me?

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 12:09:24 pdt
From: mab@ads.ARPA (Mike Brzustowicz)
Subject: Re: Standardized "calls" (Again!)

I have in front of me a DEC manual for the TOPS-10 version of fortran,
basic and algol that describes such a standardized calling sequence.
It is dated 1967, which I believe predates IBM's 360.  (DEC DID do
things before VMS).

Also remember that Burroughs had been using the concept of Virtual
Memory for fifteen (15) years when IBM announced a revolutionary new
concept in computation--you guessed it, Virtual Memory!

The Unix world is now busily reinventing MULTICS (See the history of
Unix paper (by either Thompson or Ritchie, of forget which), if you
doubt.).  The Mac has a lot in common with the Alto, which predates it.

The moral of the story?  Grace Hopper was right, and we haven't gotten
as far as we think we have.  One of the biggest innovations of the Mac
is its accessibility to non-technologists.  From that point of view, it
doesn't really matter that they DON't have standardized calling sequences.
Either Apple wasn't aware of this technology, or it was too expensive to
incorporate it, given the benefits.  I'd be curious to find out which,
but this discussion is somewhat tangential to the nature of this list.

-Mike
<mab@ads.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 87 23:31:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Fortran(s) Under MPW

An earlier post noted that:

>Since a version of Fortran for MPW apparently isn't in the works, and
>Absoft (nee Microsoft) Fortran is so bad in so many respects that it's
>barely worth discussing anymore, it's time we started discussing solutions

There are now at least _2_ vendors working on Fortrans that run under MPW. The
one that I am familar with is supposed to be in alpha-test in Aug. and released
about the end of the year. We may yet get a decent fortran environment for the
Mac. I don't know, but I speculate that Green Hills (they wrote the C compiler
for MPW) could easily port their fortran to MPW. Green Hills Fortran _will_
be available under A/UX.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 13:31:43 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re:  How to save some $$ for MacII enhanced graphics.

In article <8705260749.AA19916@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 26 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 95

>From: Philip M. Pitner <PITNER@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
>Subject: How to save some $$ for MacII enhanced graphics.

>But note that the difference in screen write times for 16 colors vs 256 colors
>is quite dramatic.  So if you're interested in doing animation I'm not sure
>256 colors is well implemented on the MacII.  Programs like RedRyder scroll
>very slowly when using 256 colors.  I'm not completely sure why there's such
>a dramatic difference.  (this is in smooth scroll mode on Red Ryder)

A lot depends on what the application is doing.  For example, if it uses
offscreen bitmaps (which presumably are 1 bit deep), and copies them onto an
8-bit deep screen, then Color Quickdraw needs to expand the 1-bit bitmap
into an 8-bit pixmap.  This expansion takes some time.  If RR was doing this
each time it scrolls, then it would operate very slowly.

Quickdraw is quite fast if the depth of the offscreen pixmap matches the
depth of the screen.  But remember that there are 8 times as many bits on a
8-bit deep screen, so it will take longer to move them around.  (It does
not take 8 times as much time, however; CopyBits involving 8-bit pixmaps
seems about as fast as CopyBits on a Mac Plus.)

This is the main reason why the user is in control of the screen depth.  In
an application that doesn't require 256 colors, the user can gain a lot of
graphics speed by reducing the screen depth.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 09:03:56 EDT
From: "William C. DenBesten" <denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: Icon Quest

Josh Susser <Susser.pasa@Xerox.COM>:
> Hard Disk icon

> where this bashful
> icon could be hiding?

From somewhere in IM or Tech Notes:

The (hard disk) driver is responsible for giving the icon to the OS.
It needs to give the icon to the system before it is able to read the
system file or something similar.  Consequently, it is hard coded in
the driver.

Sorry about the generality, but my IM is not here.

           Wiliam C. DenBesten | CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | UUCP  ...!cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green State University |
  Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214 |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 13:55:14 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: System 4.1 Questions

Here is an attempt to answer some questions about System 4.1

In article <8705251616.AA09044@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>BUT NOW FOR A QUESTION,  even though I've been using System 4.1/Finder 5.5
>Now why, may I ask *shouldn't* I use Finder 5.5/System 4.1 on my dual-800K
>512Kenhanced?  I realize the system heap was increased from 47 to 65K to
>accomodate the new system, but this doesn't seem major enough to tell 512Ke
>owners not to use the new software.

I don't know of any technical reason not to use System 4.1 on a 512Ke.  I
think this is simply a matter of memory space.  Note that the patches in
System 4.1 amount to 26K alone.

>I honestly do not know what the STARTUP DEVICE
>file is supposed to do. In fact, I don't even have it on my hard disk, and

Startup Device allows you to select a startup hard disk on the Mac SE and
Mac II.  It won't show up in the Control Panel on a Mac Plus, Mac 512K, etc.

>P.S.  I also noticed that Finder 5.5 crashes (System error 2A = 42) if I
>have TMON installed and do a Shut Down.  Everything is, in fact, dismounted
>at that point, so it is safe to turn off the machine.  I have a Mac+ with
>an Apple HD20 (disk port) hard disk.

I think System Error 42 is used for the alert that says it is safe to turn
off you Macintosh.  Once the disks have been unmounted, the System Error
Handler is the only way to put up a dialog box.  (The System file is
unavailable.)  The Shutdown manager cleans up everything, and calls the
System Error Handler to put up the box.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 08:34:08 PDT
From: franz!ficl!jkf@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (John Foderaro)
Subject: More Mac II crashes

    I've been looking into why programs crash on the Mac II and I've
found a pattern:  It seems to be a common practice to create a little
subroutine on the fly in the stack space and jump into it.    Because
the 68020 has an instruction cache you can't do this safely unless you flush
the cache before jumping into the handmade subroutine.   By turning off
the instruction cache ( clr.l d0; movec d0,cacr)  before running
RedRyder 9.4 and MacKermit 2.2 I was able to get these programs to run
successfully  (actually RedRyder only has a problem when doing an
xmodem with crc download).
    I'm trying to figure out how to create an init file which will
shut off the instuction cache automatically whenever I reboot the
machine.   Until mac programmers learn not to write self-modifying code, I
think it is best to run with the instruction cache disabled.

john foderaro

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 12:14:41 edt
From: LARRAGA <larry@pyr1.acs.udel.edu>
Subject: FWB Hard Disk Backup trouble OOOOPS!

In Issue 91, Volume 5 I posted a message about troubles I was having with
restoring files made with Hard Drive Backup by FWB Software to my SE under
System 4.1.  A colleague was able to restore a small selection of my backups
to his Macintosh Plus with a bus Apple Hard Disk 20 and System 3.2, so I
figured that the problem was with the SE and/or System 4.1.  I didn't have
my friend restore all the files since I was going to have access to a clean
HD20 and a Plus shortly.  Alas, when I went to restore my files using the same
System and Finder my friend had, I got the same "File Not Found" error.
Yikes!  Everything all of a sudden pointed at a corrupted Hard Disk Backup
application.  I copied the program from the original disk and of course it
worked, and of course I feel like a jerk.  Sorry if I caused any undue
anxiety attacks over the integrity of anyone's backups.  I like Hard Disk
Backup very much in terms of features and user interface and still would
recommend it to anyone.

Larry Larraga
University of Delaware
Microcomputing Resource Center
<larry@pyr1.acs.udel.edu>

"I did not say this.  I was not even here."
  - 3rd stage Navigator on Giedi Prime

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 14:51:23 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Gone Fishing: Another FKEY Screen Saver

Gone Fishing - another Screen Saver FKEY for the Mac
(c) 1987 by Alexander Falk

Gone fishing is a small PD FKEY, which paints the screen black and
lets you leave a message for someone else by drawing it with
the mouse. If you press any key, the screen is refreshed. Gone
Fishing will work fine with print spoolers, Menu Clocks and any
screen sizes. I'm sorry, it won't work with more than one screen
on the Mac II, but I promise to change it, when I get my very own
Macintosh II.

Some time ago there was a similar DA on the net, but I can't waste
a DA-space for a screen saver...

Gone Fishing is free, so distribute it]

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:$%G EQ8J4QPcD'PZC`"'5d9C4NY& 3#3#]*UrL-]N]3"]*]$]M]]]]%`]*]$1K)
I4J%J(bm),`"`"m]""N]]Rcm]6Ud#JNje3IS])R)`$%CTFfKTEQFZCQYPH 8#]*]
cR-TPZ]#3"J*US#-NAh]+6PiJApl]6Y]LAc)I)&pR'"]B$]]]('8'$]]]1QB'%A`
],Irr8d&JjNl4F]]3'%K]%"QJ2%je)Qm]##" ]]4`]()]%"J5%G%CdX'J,L"I8%p
1d&)5FJ]5%K ]%]"1G8j r`] #NKZr`] &cm]6Ud#JQ(%6Pj1G5*I)&mJ(`]]]5a
J$J]]4NY& 3]']*]'3IVrlL()#FjJ]]]#6PErhLm0+RJ*"%KZrrbSG#"i#HjCMd+
R)&")D]]#5(S]jKmm]]%r2]]#5(Mrrd*R3UHT%b"I,8Mrq%K3U(- , riU'dJE r
i5'J]%+LL2c`]]cmm]]1SQcmm]]bSR%)ZrpqTY%MR]]3U98KYrj5S88cI)]#S8e
22ccrrdKZrqLTF"]I$'i]]IrSCNC)E rNUA)r, rQ2blrj+L6B#T)E rNUA)`, r
QX'lriQB+-#lrj,"Zrq"R%#eZrq6ri$mZrqBr, rNU*&9MkPc%"p+]'E-$'i]]rr
S9m"%]%L](8$rhdSZrppR]2pk,blrq+N8,blrr+KcU6FUAdjH6R9038P1)*]%#&9
ZG'PdE'9N]*]$]3#3]`)`]]]"-]#3]cS]]XGf]GJ]N]-F]$)]]%C,49N]N]-+]]B
]]#]]N]A,b]G'DA0SD jRL8d:

[
also archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-GONEFISHIN.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 23:32:17 EDT
From: matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Dave Matthews)
Subject: Disk Ranger

Here is Disk Ranger version 2.1, a very nice program for disk cataloging and
label printing.  It is freeware, to enjoy.  Unfortunately the author didn't
include his name!  Hopefully he will step forward soon to take the credit he
deserves.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DISK-RANGER-21.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 14:52:18 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Screen Lock: Another Screen Saver FKEY...

Screen Lock Installer - Version 1.0
(c) 1987 Alexander Falk

Screen Lock is a FKEY, which turns the screen black until some-
body knows the correct password, to resume work. The password can
be choosen each time, Cmd-Shft-7 is pressed. This FKEY is similar
to a DA, which was posted on the net some time ago, but I can't
afford wasting a DA-place for a screen saver...

Screen Lock is free, so distribute it.

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-SCREENLOCK-10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 10:17:41 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: The Lone Ranger

It was the purchase of FullPaint that started this whole thing.
I had this entire hard disk full of MacPaint files and MacPaint
had hit the bit bucket.  Now I had the fun prospect of using
ResEdit to change each file's creator.  Well, you know how
programmers are.  I started writing.

So, in memory of Text Ranger and Paint Ranger, I give the world

                        The Lone Ranger
                   (insert theme music here)

This program will change the creator of any type of file from
anything to anything.  It can be specific (all TEXT files from
EDIT to QED1) or general (all PNTG files to PANT).  It is set to
know about TEXT, PANT, and WORD files and the programs, MacWrite,
QUED, EDIT, MacPaint, FullPaint, SuperPaint, MacWrite (again),
MindWrite, and Word 3.0.  It reads all this stuff out of STR#
resources, so you can reprogram it if you are daring. It also has
the capability of doing files it and you know nothing about.
Simply choose Other... and you get an SFGetFile that shows the
type and creator fields.  Pick a file type and then pick a
creator.  You can use the program itself for the creator field.

It also does subtrees!  You can start anywhere on your HFS volume
and The Lone Ranger will cruise only that portion of it.

If you have any questions, comments, or directed insults, feel
free to route them my way.

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-LONERANGER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 1987, 11:17:47 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: computer modern fonts

The computer modern fonts are available as part of the TeXtures package
marketed by Addison Wesley. I don't know if they are available separately
but I'd doubt it. Rumor has it that there will be a postscript version
of these fonts sometime soon and that would in principle include bitmapped
versions for the Mac as well. I sure hope that is true!
David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 1987, 11:20:16 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0

    Binhex 5.0 was created I believe to deal with the MacBinary file format
which is so popular on the commercial (i.e. PAY) nets. The idea was that
the MacTerminal 1.1 format created 3 files on the host when a Mac file
was sent using macput (macget) and it is preferable to have 1 file. Since
a file in Binhex 4.0 format (text only) is somewhat larger than MacBinary
format the pay services adopted it.
   On info-mac and other free nets we believe in transfering files around
and TEXT ONLY is imperative. It is unfortunately that Binhex 5.0 ONLY
produces MacBinary format (it can decode both 4.0 and 5.0 format). For
our purposes here Binhex 5.0 is unnecessary and occassionally produces
problems. Don't use it to create a file to upload to info-mac!!!!
   I hope this answers the basic question.

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 17:21:47 PDT
From: digiorgi@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: re: BinHex 4.0 vs BinHex 5.0

ref: INFO-MAC Digest   V5 #94

BinHex 5.0 format is the intermediate file format that is transmitted via
the XModem protocol whenever you use transfer files to/from a service that
supports MacBinary file transfer.  It uses an 8-bit data path, which is why
BinHex 4.0 has remained in existence for telecommunication services that
cannot support the 8-bit data path, eg: some PC-based BBS systems, some
Apple // systems, the older versions of Dreams of the Phoenix BBS software,
etc.  If you download a file from one of the services that do support
MacBinary XModem and you don't have MacBinary, the resultant file on your
diskette is a BinHex 5.0 document that you must convert.

Since most systems supporting the Macintosh now support MacBinary, and most
file transfer programs are also MacBinary compatible, the need for BinHex
4.0 is significantly reduced, but I find it most useful to encode and store
Mac files on creatures like my VAX and the SUMEX archives which have Kermit
and FTP access without the 8-bit data path.  It would be nicer if the v5.0
program had a configurable nature for 7-bit, 70-character line encoding or
8-bit MacBinary encoding.

Does anyone have sources or a file format description for BinHex 4.0/5.0?
If they are extant somewhere on the net, I'd appreciate a copy.

Godfrey DiGiorgi
digiorgi@jpl-vlsi
May 27, 1987

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 10:35:54 PDT
From: dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
Subject: Re: Why use BinHex 5.0?

The justification for BinHex 5.0 is that it can convert files between
their normal form and the MacBinary standard.  MacBinary-encoded files
are (as you've noted) 8-bit-binary, and they can't survive passage
through most email systems, but they _can_ be uploaded and downloaded
to mainframes or bulletin-board systems (via XMODEM or binary Kermit)
in about 40% less time than BinHex-4.0 files, and they consume
much less space.  BinHex 4.0 encoding almost doubles the size of
a file;  MacBinary encoding adds only a small constant overhead
(about 120 bytes, I believe).

Most Macintosh-oriented bulletin board systems have adopted a policy
of posting Mac applications and documents in MacBinary format, rather
than .HQX;  the space savings are significant for these BBS (most of
which have only 20-40 megs of disk), and the upload/download time
savings are _very_ significant (most users connect at either 1200
or 2400 baud).

Most of the good terminal-emulator packages that support XMODEM (e.g.
FreeTerm, MacTerminal 2.0, MicroPhone, Red Ryder, etc.) also support
MacBinary;  they automatically encode non-text files when sending, and
automatically decode non-text files when receiving... and thus neither
BinHex 4.0 nor BinHex 5.0 is needed.  Some older emulators (e.g.
MacTerminal 1.x) do not support MacBinary, and will simply store a
MacBinary-encoded file on disk "as received".  In order to convert such
an encoded file to its original form, it is necessary to use BinHex 5.0.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 09:55 EDT
From: BOGARTZ%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (David Bogartz/Hampshire
From: College)
Subject: Addendum to posting "PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared"

I subsequently figured out how to get two graphic items close to each other
in ReadySetGo: in their Specifications dialogs, uncheck the "Run Around"
options on each.  This makes both of their backgrounds transparent.

David Bogartz/Hampshire College

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 10:00:30 EDT
From: "William C. DenBesten" <denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: Long term Mac usage

Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>:
> keeping Macs on for extended periods of time.

Just walked in this tuesday (26-May-87) to find that I had left my mac
on since I came into work friday morning.  It seems to be working fine.

One of our faculty leaves his Mac 512 on all the time.  We have never
had any troubles with his mac.

Being a tad (over)cautious, I would install fans in the Macs, just to
make sure that they stay cool.

The biggest deal is burning your screen. I would definately recommend
that you install Auto-Black that came over the net a while ago.  This
dims the screen when there is no activity for a couple of minutes.
The heaviest used macs in our campus labs are have experienced
menu-bar burn.

           Wiliam C. DenBesten | CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | UUCP  ...!cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green State University |
  Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214 |

[
from the moderator:  My MacPlus has been on since purchased, about three
months ago.  My 512E was on the whole time I owned it (about a year?).  My
office is air-conditioned so I don't worry about a fan.  And Auto Black is
the best screen saver I have ever seen.

I also leave my HD20 on all the time.  No problems at all (so far).

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 18:36:46 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan%SFU.Mailnet%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: Mac & Typewriters

I recently had an opportunity to connect a Mac to an electronic
typewriter for letter-quality output as you describe. Our
requirements were fairly simple: only word-processor output would
be produced and no fancy mid-print typewheel changes would be
needed.

The Players:
The Mac:         a Mac Plus (vanilla)
The Typewriter:  a Canon AP-350 with Canon serial interface
The Cable:       a (25-foot copy of an) Imagewriter I cable,
                 with an Apple adapter to convert the Mini-DIN
                 plug to a DB-9 (much easier to solder).
                 Connect this to the modem port.
The Software:    Microsoft Word V1.05 with Microsoft's
                 Typewriter print driver
The Settings:    MS Word Printer Setup window: select Typewriter,
                 Modem Port, 1200 baud, pitch to match the
                 typewheel in use.
                 The typewriter: 1200 baud, 8 bits, no parity,
                 1 stop bit, XON/XOFF handshaking.

The results were pretty good. Needless to say, you don't get all
the font attributes; all you get is underlining and boldface.
With a good typewriter the boldfacing is very hard to tell from
regular text, since the overstrikes land exactly on top of one
another.

The MS Typewriter driver is pretty dumb (like the typewriters it
is intended to drive). It takes no notice of any talents the
typewriter might have, like auto-underlining or proper boldface.
However, we experimented with the other printer drivers on the MS
Word disk and none of them worked at all with the typewriter!

You might be able to get the Imagewriter to work in draft mode if
you set the typewriter baud rate to 9600. I doubt if most
typewriters would understand the boldface, underline and other
escape sequences that the Imagewriter driver spits out, though.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 14:55:44 EDT
From: David A. Levitt <levitt@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: OpCode MIDI interfaces in Palo Alto

  From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
  Could someone please send me some information about a mysterious MIDI
  interface that is alluded to by the MIDI demos on Sumex.  ...
  Could someone please point me toward some information about this beast?
    Jon

If you just want a Mac to MIDI interface, OpCode in Palo Alto sells
them, compatible with the old style serial ports (Mac provides power)
or Mac Plus style (separate power supply).  The latter also works fine
on a Mac II.  They retail for around $150.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand your question.  I do Mac MIDI stuff.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 14:05 CDT
From: MKonar@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MIDI INTERFACE INFO

>Could someone please send me some information about a mysterious MIDI
>interface that is alluded to by the MIDI demos on Sumex.  A friend has a MIDI
>keyboard tat he wants to hook up to his Macintosh.  I pulled some of the MIDI
>demos from Sumex, but they require this interface that everyone assumes you
>have and know about.
>
>Could someone please point me toward some information about this beast?
>
>Jon

I'm  not familiar with the demos you mention but just about any MIDI
interface for the Mac should work.  They all pretty much work the same
way.  Opcode Systems has one for around $90, I think.  The best sources
of information on MIDI hardware/software are Keyboard magazine and
Electronic Musician.  Both are available at B. Dalton Booksellers
and most others.
If you're handy with hardware, you can roll your own!  The October 85
ish of Mactutor has plans for a simple Mac MIDI interface.  The
November 85 issue has MIDI driver routines.  I have built the interface
and it has worked without a hitch for about a year now (I am using
Mark of the Unicorn's Performer, a sequncer software package. Very
nice).  The MIDI routines are another story (see my previous posting).
Good Luck

Murat N. Konar (612) 782-7466 days
HI-MULTICS.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 May 87 21:23:34-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: : Mac SE 68020 Accelerator Cards???

Scanning the ads in MacUser looking for SE 68020 accelerator cards reveals:
   Radius Accelerator
   Levco Prodigy SE
   General Computer Hypercharger
   Apple ?????
Can anyone supply information on availability and quality of any of these?

End of INFO-MAC Digest