[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #97

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (05/31/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Saturday, 30 May 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 97

Today's Topics:
                        How does UnpackBits work?
                        More history of computing
                       Re: Fortran linking with C?
                           Stripped sys/finder
                     Giving up on the new systems...
                    Re: More Mac II crashes (V5 #96)
                           Patch to Packit III
                   Problem with Gonefishing? (V5 #96)
                        FzzPlot Feedback? Please?
                             My SE and EXCEL
                             midi interfaces
                  HP2623 terminal emulation on the Mac
                           Terminal Emulators
                         TeX Previewer Problem?
                                 Hot Mac
                       HyperDrive <-> new System?
                   Minimum file allocation size on XPs
                             Memory Upgrades
                         Word:  MS-DOS --> Mac??
                      Printing to ASCII w/ Word 3.0
                            Boxes in word3.0
     Re: LaserWriter Plus clone much better than original?  Well...
                      Re: Message for "Power" users
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #29

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 16:13:03 edt
From: mp1w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger)
Subject: How does UnpackBits work?

I have been trying to implement UnpackBits in c with mediocre success.  As I
understand it, packbits does the following:

Read a byte called control
        control  < 128?
                Next control+1 bytes are straight bitmap
        control  >= 128?
                The next byte in the input stream is repeated 256-control
times
                (2s complement of control times)

I am able to read in a file I made that consists of straight lines of bitmap,
however when I have to read a compressed file (a MacPaint file), the routine
gets messed up.

Any code fragments greatly appreciated.

Marc Pawliger
mp1w+@andrew.cmu.edu
mp1w@cmuccvma.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri 29 May 87 11:04:23-PDT
From: Rich Alderson <ALDERSON@Sushi.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: More history of computing

>From: mab@ads.ARPA (Mike Brzustowicz)
>Subject: Re: Standardized "calls" (Again!)

>I have in front of me a DEC manual for the TOPS-10 version of fortran, basic
>and algol that describes such a standardized calling sequence.  It is dated
>1967, which I believe predates IBM's 360.  (DEC DID do things before VMS).

>Also remember that Burroughs had been using the concept of Virtual Memory for
>fifteen (15) years when IBM announced a revolutionary new concept in computa-
>tion--you guessed it, Virtual Memory!

The IBM 360 family was announced in 1963.  (Around August--I used to have the
Time Magazine article, but it's gone the way of all paper...)  First deliveries
came in early 1964--this was back before anyone could really get away with what
we now know as vaporware.

Granted that Burroughs was using virtual memory long before the 370 series came
out with it, but the 360/67 was a VM machine from about 1966.

This HAS gotten away from the intent of the original question.  My original
response was just to demonstrate Adm. Hopper's point:  In computing, there is
rarely anything new in the commercial world.

Rich Alderson

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 87 22:39:11 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: Re: Fortran linking with C?

I have just gotten my copy of MacTran '77 Version 2.0, and thought I'd
post a few impressions to the net.  First of all, this version does
NOT support the 68881 (those are the exact words of the docs, although
it isn't clear whether they mean direct access, although since
MacTran 77 does not use SANE, I think ANY access isn't supported), which
will have to wait for Version 2.01.  It appears that version 2.01 will
not run on a 68000, however, but is specifically for the 68020/68881.

MacTran77 features an option for producing .REL files, and linking
with C compiler and assemblers which produce .REL's.  The manual
states that the main program must be written in Fortran for linking
to work, although it does not say why.  I attempted to get around this
by writing a small Fortran subroutine, compiling it to .REL, and
using LightSpeed C's RelConvert utility.  No dice.  It bombs with a
cryptic error message.  So linking MacTran77 subroutines with LSC
seems to be out.

Since LightSpeed C doesn't produce .REL files yet you can't link the
other way either.  This is more than a little frustrating, as it
seems to imply that you must use MPW or Consulair to link with
MacTran.

On the plus side, the toolbox access is decently documented, and
higher level routines are provided.

Has anyone tried linking with Consulair or MPWS?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 16:44:04 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi - Army RD&E Center <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Stripped sys/finder

Does anyone have info or a source of info on the method to be used for
stripping down the system and finder files to their smallest possible size?
I seem to recall reading something about the subject here in net-land, but
that's about it. I think it revolves around stripping out particular parts
of the resource forks, but I need to know what I can remove without decreasing
the functionality of the files.

Regards,
tom c.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 1987 22:45 CDT
From: a.d. jensen <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Giving up on the new systems...

After installing the new systems which have come out of Apple of late,
I am about ready to give up.  We used 3.2 fine for months without a
problem, but then when the new systems came in, I thought 'aha!'  Just
what we needed!  We use, by the way, 2 mac pluses with Hyperdrive 20s,
a Mac plus with an internal Hyperdrive, and a Mac SE with internal Apple
20 meg.  Laserwriter on Appletalk, a couple of imagewriters.

Not more than two weeks, problems come creeping out...

1) One of the Hyperdrives refuses to boot -- it claims that it can't
   find the Finder, even though both System and Finder are in the
   System Folder.  Replacing System with good old 3.2 solves the problem.

2) Random, aggravating printer errors.

3) On the SE, cutting while in one application and then pasting in
   another (after a trip to the Finder) causes System Error 3.

4) Occasional system errors for no apparent reason.

In short, we have seen enough system errors with this new setup to
open a bomb factory.  The new system is already history on the Mac
Pluses, but I would like to know if I can take it off the SE as well.

Any replies would be appreciated.

dale
<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 87 15:56:56 GMT
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Re: More Mac II crashes (V5 #96)

The report is that RedRyder 9.4 and MacKermit 2.2 (2.2? I want 2.2!)
crash on the II because of a subroutine built on the stack that
invalidates the cache.

This is a classic description of a bug in LightSpeed C 2.01.
Apparently it handles PB File Manager calls by builting the trap
on the stack (since there is the rarely-used bit, ASYNC, that is in
the parameter list in C, but in the trap word in assembly language).
Thanks go to Duane Maxwell at Levco (who found it on the Prodigy
before the Mac II was released) for discovering this first.

Think knows about it but didn't seem to think it was serious when
I called a month ago.  Perhaps if every owner of Red Ryder called
them up to complain they would change their mind.

In the short run, the only cure seems to be turn off the cache or
recompile using another compiler.

Joel West
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww      (ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)
jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    if you must

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 11:39:48 EDT
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: Patch to Packit III

PackIt III is a great little shareware program written by Harry Chesley.
However, it does have one annoying problem: sometimes the selection lists in
the standard file dialogs are two narrow to distinguish between files that
begin with the same 8 or 10 characters.  In these cases, you had to remember
what files were in that directory, alphabetize them mentally, and then count
to the right one.  (I thought you never had to remember file names with a
Mac!)

So... I took my trusty copy of ResEdit and modified a few of the DLOGs and
DITLs to alleviate the problem.  No more packing in "My Program.proj" when I
wanted "My Program.proj.rsrc".  One of the dialogs looks a little strange, but
I find it to be more functional.  A Binhex of the new resources follows.  To
install, use a resource editor to remove DLOGs 259, 260 and DITLs 270, 271 from
(a copy of) PackIt III and then paste in these replacements.

Mark

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:%&"KBfYTG#"*N!-J8'&dBfJ!N"%$M#`k!*!%!3#3!`-Z!!!#,J#3!ei!N!8-!!S
!,!!US!)!N!!!N!88!$)!+!$)L!-JAK"3B@0VDA3J5C!$)&"KG'0SB`)!N#qFi(h
J!*!'!i`!&`#B!%F!N!F,!"F!'`$1L!j1CAFJ9(P`C5"1B@eP1J#3!j!!!!F!N!@
-!*X!S!$A"!*25`#3"B`!i3#J!4J%"N0KEQ0PE!#3"43!Q`!S!4L)#dCKE@PXH5"
1B@eP!*!'+!#E!$J"'*!!!*!'4J#E!&S"'!#3!aF!N!AZ!@S!!3#3#!%1!NG'!!!
"'J!0!*!&MJ"6!+!!S`3%6h"PEJ#3"6X%J!"0"0!%"NKTC'4PEJ#3"G)!8J$N!+)
%"%4[EQ8!N!@1!-)!S!%LJ!#3"V)!b`$%!4X%"89UC@0dEJ#3"G)!b`$N!4X%"84
bDACPEJ#3"3X!$!"p!,J!N!F,!,F!I3$(!*!(LJ#h!1S!Z)!!N!B8""3!G!4jL!#
3"Jm!f!!M!9!&#d0[EA"bCA0cD@pZ)!#3"6`!f!"3!9%'$8j[)'9ZBh*jF(4TEfj
`!*!&83$B!'8"C!B48fPYF'aP)'9ZBh*jF(4TEfiJ!*!&C3$B!(N"@3B14%96)'9
ZBh*jF(4TEfi!N!-A!*!&UJ'5!!%!N!J"$`*(4J#3!pB!#J#3"4`![J!Z!3i%"%p
`C@i!N!8l")!!6363"!C)D@4NC@i!N!9D!,i!E!%1"!C$B@jMC@`!N!8F!53!,J'
%J!#3"MX",3"0!Ad%"89UC@0dE!#3"9S",3"X!Ad%"84bDACPE!#3"3X!$!"p!+-
!N!F,!+)!I3#b!*!(&!%H!(3"(i!!N!B8""3!G!4jL!#3"SF!#J#E!93&(90SEhF
J8'&MDdPd)#BJ9%9B9#"QD@aPFb"[EQajB`!!!3#3!`-Z!!!#,J#3!ei!"-T!![)
!N!-F!&i!!84-6dF!!3!54%P86!!"!#S"!rrr"!#3"!6+X!%%rrm%!!%j!!61%!%
1rrm%!!!E!!61!!%2rrm%!!&8!!60K-NV!:

[
also archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PACKIT3-DLOG-PATCH.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 08:02:00 PST
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Problem with Gonefishing? (V5 #96)

The copy I got in V5 #96 has spaces in the binhex.  As I
recall, genuine Binhex 4.0 never has spaces.  I think there
was a character set translation problem.  (Note it came from
a bitnet machine.)

Joel West       (c/o UC San Diego)
Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA

[
well, so much for trying to be a nice guy (sorry Paul).  Two other
postings from the same source show the same symptoms.  PLEASE NOTE:  the
files
FKEY-GONEFISHIN.HQX
FKEY-SCREENLOCK-10.HQX
DA-WN-TRANSLATOR-15.HQX

have been removed from the archives until a useable copy is received.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 14:45:07 edt
From: rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: FzzPlot Feedback? Please?

Some time ago, I uploaded a shareware plotting program, and it
has been archived. Since then, I've received only one response.

Based on my own usage of this program, I'm preparing a new version. However,
I do not wish to go too far without *some* user feedback.

If anyone has downloaded and used FzzPlot, I'd appreciate some kind of
response: what did you think of it? Would you pay for it? If not, why not?
What would you like to see?

I don't write software for my health, you know.

Rich

Richard M. Siegel
R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 07:52 EDT
From: "I am only an egg."
From: <JOHNSON%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: My SE and EXCEL

     Thanks to all who gave reasons for kermit's poor performance.  When
I find a good C compiler I'll recompile it (if someone hasn't by then).
Any preferences?

     Now for an EXCEL bug (I think).

     I was using EXCEL on my recently purchased MAC SE the other
night.  I had a 4 X 3 spread-sheet up.  I tried to SAVE it in the usual
fashion. The little watch icon came up indicating that whatever was
happening would take a while so I waited ... and waited ... and waited.
After about 3 minutes or so I began to get the feeling that nothing was
going to happen.  The hard drive I was trying to save the sheet on wasn't
moving, no noise, no blinking light, nothing.  When I moved the mouse
around the watch icon tracked very nicely.  Nothing I did with the
mouse or the keyboard would free up the MAC.

     I prayed to the computer gods at that point and cycled the power.
When my machine is idle I keep everything closed and had just RESTARTed
it to open up this sheet for a few minutes so I could add something.
Apparently the order I had done things in kept me safe.  When the system
came back up, everything was fine but my spread-sheet had NOT been
updated.  I re-entered my date and saved it again.  This time it worked.

     My system tools disk calls itself version 1.0 and I have EXCEL
version 1.03.  Anyone ever notice this behaviour?  BTW, just how lucky
was I anyway?

     lastly, EXCEL (with a bit of work :-) could be a relational
database as well as a great spread-sheet system.  Anyone know if
MicroSoft has any nice plans in this area.  (hey MS, are you listening?)

USnail:
  Chris Johnson
  Academic Computer Services
  Northeastern University 39RI
  360 Huntington Ave.
  Boston, MA. U.S.A. 02115
AT&T:     (617) 437-2335
CSNET:    johnson@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu
ARPANET:  johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:   johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@csnet-relay

(Always vote.  There may not be anything you want to vote for, but
 there might be something you want to vote against.)

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 1987 09:24:45 EDT
From: mt700 <ebersman@sysu-0>
Subject: midi interfaces

there is a company called scherzando music who sells a great
variety of midi products, including interfaces, sequencers,
library editors, etc. for the mac, the amiga, and even (shudder)
the ibm. prices are ok. i don`t have the address here, but
they advertise in the macuser magazine classified section under
music software.

paul  (ebersman@msddnpent.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 20:41:48 PST
From: jpl06!john%sdeehp1.UUCP@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
Subject: HP2623 terminal emulation on the Mac

Does anyone know of an HP2623 (graphics) terminal emulator that runs on
the Macintosh? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

John Armstrong
sdeehp1!jpl06!john@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 87 14:51:24 PDT
From: Charles_Lindsay%SFU.Mailnet%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: Terminal Emulators

Good Evening Net-land:
I'm in need of a WYSE 50 or a TeleVideo 925 terminal emulator,
preferably in the public domain, but any information is useful.
Thanks in advance.
  Charles.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 23:00:01 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: TeX Previewer Problem?

I'm trying to download TeX DVI files created on  a UNIX  machine, and look
at them with the TeX previewer that was recently released.  Only problem
is that:

1. Either the files won't come across (both XMODEM and KERMIT hang in the
middle of the transmission) OR
2.  When they do, the previewer won't open them, even with the creater bits
set.
Question:  Has anyone gotten the TeX previewer to work?  Has anyone
successfully run LaTeX on any Macintosh TeX system?  (Won't work with
TeXtures .95).  Also, is there a version of BINHEX 4.0 written for UNIX, so
you can upload files with weird control characters to your Mac?

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 May 1987 17:45 CDT
From: Nihar Gokhale <MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hot Mac

Does anyone out there own a MaxChill fan?  If so, does it really keep the
mac "cooler than ever" after about 2 hrs?  please respond, because my mac
starts acting strangely if I leave it on for a while.. I called up the guy
who installed the fan, he explained this by saying "ahhm, well there is a
power supply on the left side of the mac."  yeah, so what?  the fan should
take care of that right?  do other fans have this kind of a problem?

any help would be appreciated, thanks...

bitnet MMAR013@ECNCDC
arpa   MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp   [wanginst!decvax!cbosgd!] psuvax1!ECNCDC.BITNET!MMAR013

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 09:38:12 PDT
From: digiorgi@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: HyperDrive <-> new System?

Before I go destroying my dear old 512K RAM/64K ROM/HyperDrive 20 machine,
I thought I'd ask.  My local dealer doesn't seem to know...

Is System 4.x/Finder 5.x compatible with the HyperDrive V3R1 system software?
Can it be used without the ROM/Drive/Memory upgrade?  Can it be used WITH a
ROM/Drive/MacPlus board upgrade?

These and other questions brought to you by

Godfrey DiGiorgi
digiorgi@jpl-vlsi
May 28, 1987

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 02:33 CDT (GMT -05)
From: <MBORSETT%NUACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Minimum file allocation size on XPs

I have a SuperMac DataFrame XP40, and I am very happy with it.  I couldn't
help noticing, though, that the minimum size of a file on the XP is 1 meg, vs.
512K on a floppy.  The XP has been initialized with Init v2.51, the latest
available.

Is there a particular reason, and/or is there a patch that will make the
System allocate space on the XP 512Ks at a time instead of 1024Ks at a time?

Mike Borsetti
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL

Bitnet:     mborsetti@nuacc.bitnet
MCI Mail:   MBORSETTI
Telex:      6502526746 MCI UW
FidoNet:    115/729  (312-729-8768, member EchoMAC)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 15:57:55 EDT
From: boonl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Boon K. Lee)
Subject: Memory Upgrades

Please post the following memory upgrade question :

Hello, does any one out there know how to upgrade the DOVE 512k Upgrade to a
1.5 or 2.0 RAM. I bought the 512k upgrade and happens to have a set of 16 256k
chips.

Please mail me if you had any experience or suggestions. Thanks.

Boonl@um.cc.umich.edu
    OR
Boon Lee
229 chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 11:12:47 PDT
From: larus%paris.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (James Larus)
Subject: Word:  MS-DOS --> Mac??

My wife has ~150 Word 3.0 documents on PC.  She would like to transfer
them to her newly acquired Mac (with Word 3.0).  The physical transfer
is fairly easy to accomplish, however the two versions of Word appear
to be different in some minor respects.  In particular, the PC version
uses style sheet entries to get italics and underlining while the Mac
uses some other convention.  Needless to say, the conversion does not
go smoothly and the idea of converting 150 files by hand is enough to
make her stay with the PC.

Does anyone have any hints or experience with converting documents.

Thanks,
/Jim

arpa: larus@paris.berkeley.edu
usenet:  ucbvax!larus

------------------------------

Date: Wed 27 May 87 16:58:26-PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Printing to ASCII w/ Word 3.0

Recently I've starting using the new Mac version of MS Word.  The problem is
that I would like to be able to create an ASCII text version of my documents
(for uploading) that retains as much of the formatting as possible,
specifically, multiple columns.

Although Word will let you save a document as an ASCII file, when you do this
multiple columns are saved just as they are in the Word file, as one long
column.  Does anyone know a way to get around this problem?  My only thought
was that maybe someone has written an ASCII file printer driver that would
write printed output to a file.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Fri 29 May 87 21:56:11-EDT
From: Geoff Mulligan (USAFA) <Geoffm@AFSC-HQ.ARPA>
Subject: Boxes in word3.0

Can anyone describe the best technique for drawing boxes around text ( not
necessary complete paragraphs) ie.

        ------------
        |          |
        |          |    Item X
        |  60,000  |
        |          |
        ------------
        |          |
        |          |    Item Y
        |  20,000  |
        ------------

I've tried using the vertical lines and underlines, but they never seem to line
up correctly and leave small spaces at the corners.

    HELP!!!

geoff mulligan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 23:04 CDT (GMT -05)
From: <MBORSETT%NUACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: LaserWriter Plus clone much better than original?
Subject: Well...

About 10 days ago I entered a message where I reported about an article
appeared on MacWorld which ended with saying "unless you have a service
contract with (or stock in) Apple, there's no reason to consider a LaserWriter
Plus over a PS-800 Plus," and I asked for comments.

Here's an EDITED synopsis of the responses I got:

From: tj <tj@utorgpu.bitnet>
I have tried a PS800 for a while. QMS is a very reliable company and the PS800
plus should work VERY well for you. It has the same canon engine and a better
version of PostScript and also includes other printer emulations and even an
HP7475 plotter emulation.
tj

From: mead%hamal.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu (Dick Mead)
I mentioned the article to a co-worker and he says that one problem he has been
hearing is the QMS 800's are prone to lots of mechanical failures, he says
people he knows that use them are always complaining that the unit keeps
breaking down. No details, sorry.

[A further inquiry led to the following message:]
From: Dick <MEAD%hamal@oberon.USC.EDU>
No other info, what I heard was 2nd hand. Don't know the relative age of the
QMS units, but I'd guess they are not too new, as the product itself is not
much over 3-4 years old, at my guess. I bet, like anything else, you can have
lemons or roses, when it comes to how something works..

From: EWING@YALEVM
Yes, I've heard of the QMS Laser printer, and as a matter of fact, we have a
few on this site (Trinity College).  Unfortunetely, they were only hooked up to
the Macs that we have for about two weeks last term before we got our real
LaserWriters.  Since then the QMSs have been relegated for duty on our AT&T PC
compatibles, where they have served well.  When they were attached to our Macs
though, they really shone, and all software didn't know the difference.  I
didn't get to test its speed or other general performance against the
LaserWriter, but it seemed to hold its own.  And if its got the latest
Postscript driver under the hood, I'd say go for it.
Richard Ewing
Chief Mac Consultant
Trinity  College
EWING@YALEVM

From: Jim Calvin <jim@VENTURA.PALLADIAN.COM>
You didn't even mention one of the `nice' features of the 800+: it can do HP
LaserJet emulation... Now for Mac hackers, that's probably not a big deal, but
in a business environment, it is nice. It is faster (we tried one out for a
week) for some things. We hooked one to a Symbolics 3640 were sending large
bitmaps at it (something postscript doesn't do all that well) and it was maybe
twice as fast.I don't have any real interest in QMS, it's just a printer we've
certified as one our products can use (we never even tried hooking it to a mac,
but did to a PC-XT).
Jim Calvin
Palladian Software
4 Cambridge Center, 11th floor
Cambridge, MA 01803

---

Thanks to all of you who answered, and sorry if your msg. wasn't included in
here.

Date: Sat, 30 May 87 14:38:15 MDT
From: t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: Re: Message for "Power" users

In article <2876@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>      Here's a wet dream for all you "power" users out there: The apple Sales
> rep to Caltech was in the other day and told me that there was a company in
> San Diego developing an array processor card for the Mac II.

>      What I want to know is when is the Cray coprocessor card going to come
> out?

>     Pierce Wetter

The June MacWorld on page 103 has a brief article on a product in the works
called the MI-4.  It is a parallel processing card that is based on the
Inmos Transputer chip. Each MI-4 is capable of doing 10 MIPS!  The article
says you can use multiple borads!  So 6 slots full of MI-4 boards equals about
60 MIPS!

The $1295 MI-4 board contains a 32 bit RISC Transputer, 1MB of RAM, and 4 high-
speed serial communication lines.

There is also a floating-point processing unit for $1495.  It is suppose to be
5 times faster than the 68020/68881 pair.

The article also says these boards can be added to a 512 or a Plus.  There is
only room for 2 to fit in the cabinet so they offer an expansion box with power
supply and cables for four or more MI-4 borards.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 87 09:18 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #29

Delphi Mac Digest     Tuesday, May 26, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
     MacCharlie (2 messages)
     selection rectangles (6 messages)
     TMON/SuperSpool conflict
     Pseudo-128K Mac
     MPW/Mac II
     RE: HyperCharger 020
     HabaWord (2 messages)
     SANE in DA's (4 messages)
     RE: ADDISON WESLEY
     getting screen dumps
     _Pack12 (Color Picker)
     InBox Question
     Mac II Batteries?
     Monitors
     development woes (2 messages)
     RE: MAC II ARRIVED!
     FKEY 3
     Mac II problems (5 messages)
     OpenCPort (2 messages)
     smoothscroll (3 messages)
     KeyTrans
     PC NETWORK Chapter 11

[archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-29.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest