[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #30

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (06/08/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, June 7, 1987           Volume 3 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
     Manuals (4 messages)
     NEC Multisyncs
     RE: Weird mouse tracking problem in Syst
     RE: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0
     re: Icons for non-APPL files
     re: MAC-II development environments
     re: Icon Quest
     re: New version WriteNow Translator DA
     re: PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared
     RE: New system/finder (3 messages)
     MacHack '87
     The Low down on LoDOWN...
     Fortran
     Fix for PL30 boot problems
     re: Mac SE 68020 Accelerator Cards???
     RE: Mac II Batteries?
     RE: Standardized "calls" (Again!)
     RE: System 4.1 Tornado Warning! (2 messages)
     FKey-0 ? (3 messages)
     Fuzzy SE Screen
     Mac II problems? (2 messages)

From: MACENGLISH
Subject: Manuals
Date: 25-MAY 21:09 Mousing Around

I would like to get my hands on the tool to open my Mac and the repair
manuals for the Mac and the Imagewriter I.  We have this really neat man
at school who repairs everything in sight (a genius, I think) for our
school system.  He repairs all the VCR's, TV's, and computers (if he has
parts).  In addition, he has fixed various pieces of stereo equipment of
mine for free.  Recently, he figured out what was wrong with my printer,
and I ordered the appropriate part.
 However, if I can get the repair manuals, I'm sure he would be able to
figure out what's wrong with my Mac whenever it starts acting up.  He
could tell me what part I needed and fix it, and then I wouldn't have to
rely on inexperienced techies.  He'd could also teach me all about the
inside of my Mac as he fixes it.

But how can I get ahold of the manuals and the tool?  The dealer
suggested that they weren't for sale to just anybody.  Does any nice
person out there have copies he wouldn't mind selling me?

Debbie

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Manuals (Re: Msg 20204)
Date: 26-MAY 10:29 Mousing Around

Debbie,

The tool is available from a number of sources (there's one which
combines the Torx screwdriver and the opener lever).  The instructions
seem to be available only to authorized Apple dealers (who have service
centers) and VARs (Levco, etc.).

Ric

------------------------------

From: AESOP
Date: 27-MAY 00:34 Mousing Around

Debbie,

They _aren't_ for sale to just anybody.  _If_ you want to spring for the
$$ to take an Apple course, you can qualify....but can you get an Apple
dealer to be a sponsor?

Circuit diagrams of Macintoshes have been circulated in various formats.
 I haven't seen anything of that nature recently, nor for the
ImageWriters; if you ask me that is a mark of shame against Apple and a
strike against those of us who let them get away without providing that
information.

Apple won't even let dealers _sell_ a computer unless their technicians
and salepeople have qualified by taking the appropriate course for the
machine. The claim is, the customer can only get proper service this
way; if you ask me, this is one way to keep mail-order suppliers out and
margins high.

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACENGLISH
Subject: RE: Manuals (Re: Msg 20246)
Date: 28-MAY 19:20 Mousing Around

How much is the course?  Will I get the manuals as part of the course?
How do I qualify and/ or sign up?  I "might" be able to get a dealer to
sponsor me, but does a dealer have to sponsor me?  Could I be sponsored
by anyone else?

Debbie

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: NEC Multisyncs
Date: 26-MAY 18:44 Hardware & Peripherals

The NEC Multisync monitors are reported to work with the Mac II if you
can hack a cable together to connect them.  Priority 1 has one (800x560)
for $599 (800-423-5922, Chatsworth, CA).  ComputerWorld reports today
that 2 new NEC Multisyncs are coming soon, and that NEC says they're
shipping 50,000/month.  The Multisync Plus will have 15" (diag.) screen,
55MHz, and 960x720 for $1399 list.  The Multisync XL ("Plus" and "XL"?!)
has a 20" screen, 65MHz, 1024x768 for $3195.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Weird mouse tracking problem in Syst (Re: Msg 20226)
Date: 26-MAY 22:10 Network Digests

>Date: Thu, 21 May 87 11:08:50 EDT
>From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
>Subject: Weird mouse tracking problem in System 4.1

It does happen on System 3.2, though only on the 64K ROMs.  The
jittering in its original incarnation was caused by a bug in PinRect (so
I've been told), and is visible both at the right hand edge and the
bottom edge of the screen. Systems prior to 4.0 don't exhibit the
problem on 128K ROMs.

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0 (Re: Msg 20228)
Date: 26-MAY 22:32 Network Digests

>Date: Thu, 21 May 87 10:46 EST
>From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Subject: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0

>Yes, this is probably an old question, I realize, but I can't seem to find
>the answer.
>So my question is this...why was BinHex 5.0 released, and why should it be
>used (other than to convert files that were created by it)?

BinHex 5.0 was released in April 1985 in order to support the MacBinary
standard which had just come into being.  At the time there were no
terminal programs which could do on-the-fly conversion of MacBinary
format files into Mac files, so this allowed people to do the conversion
as a separate step.

Of course, it's not useful if your storage medium is based on 7-bit .HQX
files or on MacGet/MacPut.  However, you can use XMODEM or Kermit along
with BinHex 5.0 to communicate with a host that uses Macinary (an 8-bit
storage format).

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Icons for non-APPL files (Re: Msg 20227)
Date: 28-MAY 00:48 Network Digests

 >From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
 >Subject: Icons for non-APPL files

Yes, give non-APPLs icons the same way, using 'INIT' instead of 'APPL'
in the FREF.  Remember that the Desktop never forgets, so if you make a
mistake, it's hard to see your corrected version unless you clean out
the Desktop (or, as recently happened to me, if you did it right the
first time and then forgot to set the bundle bit and screwed up the
FREF, you won't notice it, since the correct resources are still in
Desktop).

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be illegal."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: MAC-II development environments (Re: Msg 20227)
Date: 28-MAY 00:48 Network Digests

 >From: <ucsbcsl!uncle@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
 >Subject: MAC-II development environemnts

You can get a version of TMON to work on the II (in 1-bit color).
LightspeedC works.  Aztec C doesn't, but when I called Manx, they said
it did (but weren't sure if they were using their new beta version --
haven't called back yet).

 David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Icon Quest (Re: Msg 20227)
Date: 28-MAY 00:49 Network Digests

 >From: Josh Susser <Susser.pasa@Xerox.COM>
 >Subject: Icon Quest

It's probably buried in SCSI Installer, since the driver is responsible
for returning its own icon.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: New version WriteNow Translator DA (Re: Msg 20228)
Date: 28-MAY 00:50 Network Digests

 >From: BOLSON%UWALOCKE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
 >Subject: New version WriteNow Translator DA

Hi Ed, you figured out the problem with MacWrite format?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared (Re: Msg 20229)
Date: 28-MAY 00:50 Network Digests

 >From: BOGARTZ%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
 >Subject: PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared

PageMaker does _not_ have full Undo.  Most annoyingly, you can't Undo
typestyle changes!

 David Dunham     "If it doesn't have Undo, it's not a Mac program."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: OSKINTOUCH
Subject: RE: New system/finder (Re: Msg 20271)
Date: 28-MAY 19:43 Hardware & Peripherals

I've noted some bugs with LaserWriter 4.0 when printing with PowerPoint.
 My slides print fine but my notes and handouts pages leave out items
from both pasted PICT images and Titles.  Forethought says that there
are bugs in Laserwriter driver 4.0 and that you should use 3.1.  When I
used 3.1 my problems disappeared.

Any thoughts out there??

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: New system/finder (Re: Msg 20290)
Date: 28-MAY 23:53 Hardware & Peripherals

I've also had problems with Laserwriter 4.0 and filemaker plus.  it
won't initialize the printer or print the first time properly -- afteer
that, though, it works fine (a bitch to get started, though).  Since
that is the ONLY application affected by this that I have, I'm more
tempted to believe they did something a bit off the standard and got
byt.

Ready Set Go 3! didn't work with LW3.3, but works fine again with 4.0,
so it can't be the 3.3 bugs carried forward.

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: New system/finder (Re: Msg 20301)
Date: 29-MAY 00:10 Hardware & Peripherals

I'm having weird problems trying to print with FileMaker Plus on this
system, to an ImageWriter I.  I can't tell yet if it's the HyperCharger,
the new System, MaxPrint, or FileMaker.  :-(

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: MacHack '87
Date: 28-MAY 20:14 Programming

Anyone going to MacHack '87??  Any ideas on whether it's going to be a
big thing or not?

Ric

------------------------------

From: INC
Subject: The Low down on LoDOWN...
Date: 29-MAY 16:31 Business Mac

Well we've just purchased the LoDOWN scanner from ComputerWare and here
are our first initial impressions.

1.  The manual is suk-o-rama.  We're talking a 15 page getting start
with no extensive help of tips, etc.  It assume knowledge of scanning,
etc.  Thank gd I do.

2.  The software is bug-o-rama.  When they finally get it to work, it'll
be real sweet but with the bugs and printing problems (PostScript
errors, unable to print, etc...) it becomes a real hassel.  It also
hangs at saving with PICT format.   Let's hope they get working on it,
and fast.

3.  The hardware is real nice.  Yes, the software part of this package
doesn't cut the mustard but the hardware makes up for it.  (Why do I
feel like a MacWorld reviewer?)  They have a BBS for software upgrades
and am presently up to version 1.1 but would like to see a version,
forgetting the number, that isn't a beta in release clothing.

Hey, does any other software work on these scanners?  It's the typical
scanner with the cannon engine.

thanks.

        Joshua

------------------------------

From: SJL
Subject: Fortran
Date: 29-MAY 21:28 Software Supplement

I'm preparing to enter the world of translating IBM mainframe fortran VS
to the MMac. The codes are power plant simulations and are each several
thousand lines. I called DCM re:MacFortran 77  They said it started
shipping Tues this week and has an integrated environment like I'm used
to from Lightspeed. Any beta testers out there who would like to comment
and compare to the  only other choice (ie. Absoft fortran).

Also are there any comments re: McFace for Absoft Fortran.

Thanks for the feedback!   Steve...

------------------------------

From: JONE
Subject: Fix for PL30 boot problems
Date: 30-MAY 01:31 Bugs & Features

The problem was on the DOVE SCSI board.  A call to Dove fixed the
problem. A jumper had been left on the board which needed to be removed.
 Everything is fine now.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: re: Mac SE 68020 Accelerator Cards??? (Re: Msg 20331)
Date: 30-MAY 10:06 Network Digests

To: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@Sierra.Stanford.EDU> Subject: : Mac SE 68020
Accelerator Cards???

I'm using a HyperCharger 020 accelerator card.  It seems to be of high
quality with good software (cdev and INITs).  I've heard that it won't
be available from dealers for 3 weeks, although it seems completely
finished in packaging, etc.

The Radius has some nice attributes, discussed on CompuServe, including
a static-RAM cache (no wait states), and some kind of video buffer to
avoid slowing down the 68020 by making it do all the screen updating.
Apparently the Mac Plus version of this will ship before the SE version,
and the SE version is a few months off.  The Radius seems to be the
least expensive.

The HyperCharger is claimed to be compatible with the BigScreen from
EMachines, and the Radius is obviously compatible with the Radius board.
 I don't think either the Radius or HyperCharger has provisions for a
68851 for Unix.

I don't know much about the Prodigy, except I'd expect it to be good
given their experience.  There's also an Orion board from Peak Systems
in Texas which I know little about, though it's supposed to have a 68851
socket.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: VINDICATOR
Subject: RE: Mac II Batteries? (Re: Msg 20155)
Date: 30-MAY 11:46 Hardware & Peripherals

I was at the Chicago area Mac developer's meeting a few days ago, and
got the scoop on the Mac II batteries. Here's the deal: about two weeks
ago, InfoWorld published a pre-review of a Mac II, which the guy loved.
He's had the beast for about seven months, so the machine, keyboard, etc
were all betas. The keyboard, from which you can power down the Mac, had
an excessive loss and therefore drained the battery. Apple fixed the
problem immediately. This guy has been, according to the Apple rep, the
only person he knows who had the problem, and no one since. InforWorld,
however, sees this mention of the battery problem, decides where there's
smoke there must be fire, and changes one failed battery to "widespread
failure of Mac II batteries." And that, apparently, is the story. I also
asked the Apple guy why the batteries are soldered in the first place.
The Mac II batteries are lithium batteries, and according to him are
dangerous when they leak, so much so that if you tried to handle a leaky
one you'd have to stop off at the hospital on the way to the computer
store. In order to prevent loss of fingers, they're soldered. If this is
the reason that they're soldered, it seems a pretty good one. However, I
would have been more than happy with a normal battery ala PC AT (ie
velcroed in, not soldered).

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Standardized "calls" (Again!) (Re: Msg 20331)
Date: 30-MAY 14:21 Network Digests

>Date: Tue, 26 May 87 12:09:24 pdt
>From: mab@ads.ARPA (Mike Brzustowicz)
>Subject: Re: Standardized "calls" (Again!)

>I have in front of me a DEC manual for the TOPS-10 version of fortran,
>basic and algol that describes such a standardized calling sequence.
>It is dated 1967, which I believe predates IBM's 360.  (DEC DID do
>things before VMS).

>Also remember that Burroughs had been using the concept of Virtual
>Memory for fifteen (15) years when IBM announced a revolutionary new
>concept in computation--you guessed it, Virtual Memory!

The IBM 360 was announced in April 1964 and probably shipped early in
1965. To be fair however, it should be pointed out that the run-time
support for the various IBM 360 languages did not mesh very well (unlike
VMS).  Speaking of Burroughs, the B5500 was a contemporary of the IBM
360, and the uniform stack architecture implemented in hardware forced a
uniform calling standard on that machine!

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: System 4.1 Tornado Warning! (Re: Msg 20364)
Date: 30-MAY 18:07 Bugs & Features

The previous message about problems with System 4.1/Finder 5.5 was
misleading.  The problem turns out to be the known *Mac II*
incompatibility with MacWrite.  The source claims that MacWrite 4.5,
when run on a Mac II, may trash the hard disk when it crashes.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN
Subject: RE: System 4.1 Tornado Warning! (Re: Msg 20366)
Date: 31-MAY 16:15 Bugs & Features

Ric -

Yeah, at AppleWorld Apple was showing a new MacWrite (4.6), that fixed
that bug. The Levco Prodigy SE cdev has a radio button for "MacWrite
Sniffer" - I guess it traps launches and looks to see if MacWrite is
lurking, and then turns off the instruction cache or something.

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: M_DELUGG
Subject: FKey-0 ?
Date: 31-MAY 17:11 Bugs & Features

Hmmmm... Hi y'all,

The current finder (5.5?) won't let me use FKEY-0.  Is something corrupted in my
Finder? or is this just a new feature?  I can use it in any application I've
tried so far.  I've even tried re-numbering FKEYs (in order to put another
function in that slot) but no go.  I guess I'll re-copy a new Finder and see. Or
maybe someone smarter about this stuff than I can tell me wha hoppen?

Thanks!          :-)
        - Mikey

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: FKey-0 ? (Re: Msg 20387)
Date: 2-JUN-04:19: Bugs & Features

Some program -- I forget which -- has an FKEY 0 version resource; version
resources go into the Desktop file.  When you press Cmd-Shift-0, the system
loads the first FKEY 0 resource it finds, which is that program's version
resource rather than the code you intended to be executed.

You need to find that program, get rid of it, and then rebuild your Desktop.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: FKey-0 ? (Re: Msg 20442)
Date: 2-JUN-11:31: Bugs & Features

Ugh.  Not only get rid of the program, but get rid of the application signature
in any Desktop it was on, if you intend to use FKEY 0 from Finder.

(Just echoing your comment because you left the implication understated.)

peter

------------------------------

From: OSKINTOUCH
Subject: Fuzzy SE Screen
Date: 1-JUN-19:37: Hardware & Peripherals

I have been experiencing a general _fuzziness_ throughout various portions of
my MacSE screen.  The pixels seem to move around slightly in a jerky pattern.
I was trying to relate it to disk access or some other variable but cannot
correlate the symptom to anything in particular.  (It is a 2-drive SE with
a Hyper FX-20 running system 4.1/Finder 5.5.)
Anyone have any ideas?  Should I take it to the doctor....
Thanks,
Jonathan

------------------------------

From: ASYMET
Subject: Mac II problems?
Date: 2-JUN-00:38: Hardware & Peripherals

Computerworld recently carried a lurid article which said that the early
production Mac II's are eating hard disks, blowing up batteries and generally
acting like IBM PC/AT's (though they didn't put it that way).

Can anybody with a real (non-prototype) Mac II comment?  Are they accurate,
exaggerating, or lying outright?  Has your machine treated you nicely?

I'd like to get some trustworthy  information on this, since my company is
expecting a Mac II this month.

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: Mac II problems? (Re: Msg 20433)
Date: 6-JUN-21:27: Hardware & Peripherals

I've had a production mac (one of the first off the line) for about 1.5 months.
I haven't had any problems with it.  I might point out the problems reported
with the InfoWorld Mac II chewing batteries in a hurry was found (the keyboard
sucks power even when the II is turned off and it was sucking too much) and
fixed long before it went into production.

David

End of Delphi Mac Digest