From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: /gs keyboard for SE
Date: 2-JUN-09:39: Hardware & Peripherals

I've just borrowed Peabo's //gs keyboard and hooked it into the Mac SE.
I think it's better than the Apple Standard (SE) Keyboard, and I'd buy
one instead if I had it to do over.  The layout is the same - exactly.
The feel is identical or a little better to my taste.  The only
difference is it's more compact, with no excess plastic around the edges
of the keys.  This means you can get the mouse closer to the keys and
that it'll fit in smaller bags (it's not quite small enuf to fit
vertically in a standard Mac 512 bag.) The keys themselves have a
slightly different shape (same size on bottom, but a smaller area that
you actually touch) which seems not very different in feel (maybe
better).  I think that the price might be slightly less, I'm not sure.
I like the cable connections better - they're "recessed" so you can see
them (not tucked under a lip).  It probably comes down to aesthetics in
the end, but you have a choice of *3* keyboards for the Mac SE and Mac
II (and gs?), not just 2.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: CricketDraw (Re: Msg 20440)
Date: 2-JUN-21:20: Bugs & Features

While you are correct that a number of things die in the Linotron, I
think that overall the problem is being solved. The two applications
that I have had the most problems with in the Linotron are Cricket Draw
and Quark XPress. Seeing the number of bugs/printing problems others are
having with these programs, I'd hesitate to blame the Linotronic. It
usually helps to have the software company get its own Linotronic (like
Cricket just did) and experience problems with the software before
things get fixed. You are right, though, when you talk about the
differences between different PostScript devices. By far the biggest
problem(from the point of view of a service bureau) is the fact that the
spacing of a document  does in fact change going from a LaserWriter to a
Linotronic. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Robert Hammen Madison Macintosh Users Group

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: CricketDraw (Re: Msg 20457)
Date: 5-JUN-23:45: Bugs & Features

Actually there's a heckuva lot you can do about it... we just don't know
what it is yet! I could suggest, however, templates which could be used
when printing to one or the other. In programs which allow you to alter
the spacing in minute ways this could be effective. On the other hand -
unles you had a linotronic it could be REAL expensive to find out! I'd
suggest finding a sympathetic printer who might be interested in
pioneering in the field. CLosely documenting all changes between various
postscript devices will be an ongoing project for those who routinely
use such machines. It remains for someone to compile all the data and
publish it in a form usefult to the rest of those who may otherwise have
to needlessly learn from their own mistakes. No doubt such an effort
would be rewarded with some form of remuneration either from the
periodical markets or from a publishing house, if enough other material
could be assembled to warrant a book-length effort. Keep it in mind....

------------------------------

From: CLUBMACMW
Subject: Hello --
Date: 2-JUN-23:18: MUGS Online

Hi folks - I'm still out here in MUG land; just thought I'd check back
in after a long absence.

I've been unable to contribute much in the way of articles of late, but
we had two good ones in the last couple of months, and I'll be posting
those shortly.

Meahwhile - -

Anybody else out there having bad reactions to PageMaker 2.0??   They
did a nice job on the packaging and manuals, and the software appears
solid.  BUT -- (you knew that was coming, I'm sure) - it's a MEMORY and
DISK HOG!!  They say it works on a 512k Mac - don't you believe them!
It's useless on mine - slow, it bombs a lot, the text entry tool is slow
to react.   Also - PM 2.0 makes HUGE files.  It looks to us here that it
has approx. a minimum 1K allocation for each object!   This rapidly
mounts up.  It also doesn't seem to recover used space - just keeps
right on growing as you go on editing. We had a 502k PM 2.0 document
that was just a few pages of ID cards - just a line or two of text and a
rectangle for each card; about 17 pages, I think. At this rate, it'd
take a large hard disk to hold a 128 page PM publication!

Anybody got any ideas?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is PageMaker a dog?
What's YOUR opinion? (I've got to be controversial, so I can get myself
back into the swing of things by having to answer your replies!)

Some tips - if you place the dictionaries for PM 2.0 into the system
folder, PageMaker opens very fast - 15-20 seconds on my HyperDrive.  If
not - it goes HUNTING for them; until I moved the files into the System
Folder, it took almost 2 minutes for PM 2.0 to boot!   Similarly, if the
PageMaker Help file is in the SYstem FOlder, the Guidance Desk Accessory
will open it automatically rather than asking you which file you want.

The above may all be covered in the manual, but who reads those things
anyway.

To those of you out there who like to browse around a programs resources
- a little browsing in PageMaker will find some credits.  Who out there
can be the first to tell us which compiler was used to develop PageMaker
2.0?  It's all right there in one of the resources!

------------------------------

From: BILLIAM
Subject: RE: Hello -- (Re: Msg 20463)
Date: 3-JUN-19:23: MUGS Online

I LIKE the new Pagemaker 2.0. The most useful new feature is being able
to set column width without using the guides and then being able to
change them by dragging the column's stems. Also being able to export
all or part of a story BACK into Word 3.0 is great.

I do however have some complaints - There is a bug (confirmed by Aldus)
when you try to print to the imagewriter using Manual feed. It starts
printing 7.5 inches down the page. Changing the headers and page length
and all the obvious stuff like rebooting doesn't help. There is just no
way to get it to work according to Aldus. They claim they are fixing the
bug and will send out the new copy of Aldus Prep (I don't think it was
the whole program needing the fix) Real Soon Now. Call them and get your
name on the top of their list.

2.0 is also slower in scrolling than 1.2. Or so it seems on my Plus. The
TYPE submenu comes up much slower as does the PARAGRAPH submenu. Also
the Toolbox no longer comes and goes with CMD-W (that command now means
Actual size ???).

Some other nice additions are being able to select a whole story (not
just the column) with CMD-A to change fonts or sizes. Sizing can also be
adjusted using CMD-> and CMD-< as in MS WORD.

Other than the kerning and hyhenation the big advantage with 2.0 is the
column resizing. All the other differences are pretty much in the
background (things like better scanner support, exporting to other
programs...). I am not so much impressed with this new release as I am
happy that I now have the features in RSG 3 available in a much more
stable product.

- Billiam

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 3-JUN-21:18: MUGS Online

I have plenty of memory and disk, but what I dislike about PageMaker 2.0
is the f*ed up user interface.  Why can't they be Mac standard?  It was
embarassing -- I was helping a friend do her theatre program, and I kept
bringing up the wrong dialogs by using the command keys from 1.2 (most
often pretzel-I to try to italicize).

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Hello -- (Re: Msg 20476)
Date: 4-JUN-05:55: MUGS Online

Overall I like PageMaker 2.0. I do have a couple of problems with it,
though. 1) Type smaller than 7 point is not displayed unless you are in
200% view - it shows some ugly grey bar that approximates the area of
the text block. This is a real problem if you do a lot of forms that
often have 6 point or smaller type. Notice also that "Fit in Window"
doesn't show type anymore, just the ugly grey blobs. 2)Document size
expansion. PageMaker 2.0 files are HUGE! I converted over the layout
templates for the Mad Mac News. Under PageMaker 1.2, the first 16 page
template is 29K. Under 2.0, it's exploded to 145K! A simple resume I did
was over 50K (1 page). Again, is this something that's been forced on us
because Aldus wants data file compatibility with the PC and thusly won't
use the resource fork? 3)PageMaker 2.0 automagically saves the last type
and paragraph characteristics you use when you quit, so that when you
run it again, everything is the same as when you last used it. At first,
this didn't bother me, until I converted over the Mad Mac News template.
When it did the conversion, it used some odd values I had used for
paragraph settings and applied them to my newly converted document!
Needless to say, everything was screwed up, and it took me awhile to
figure out why.

PageMaker 2.0 does have a number of good features, though. The
hyphenation is good - no more manual hyphenation or using MacHyphen, no
more white rivers of text. The ability to resize text blocks is a big
win - also the ability to deselect objects and the select all command.
Another nice feature is the ability to work with layered objects.
Suppose you have a few items on top of each other eg. a box, a line, and
a guide. Holding down the command key while clicking in the area will
cycle your selection between the objects (no more messing around with
'Send to Back'). My biggest beef with PageMaker 2.0 is that they don't
have a Find/Replace command - it seems like something that is so
obviously needed.

From: BILLIAM
Subject: RE: Hello -- (Re: Msg 20489)
Date: 4-JUN-19:53: MUGS Online

The cycling of objects using CMD-click rather than Send to Back is the
type of things this version of Pagemaker 2.0 seems to have worked hard
at. I noticed that I don't have to fool around with reselecting objects
over and over or selecting text blocks without knowing it... things like
that. Selecting the column guides always seems to work the first time,
lining up ruler guides seems easier... It isn't obvious stuff but when I
think about it Aldus did a lot of polishing up of background stuff -
things that you only noticed in the first place because they weren't
quite right.

The size of the files hasn't bothered me yet because everything goes on
the hard disk. I the program itself is HUGE too. Putting a system,
finder PM2 and a file on one disk is just about impossible.

Question - Can I export a story from PM2 over a network using the Word
3.0 export feature so it can be opened from an IBM PC work 3.0 user?

- Billiam

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: WriteNow - need help w/Headers (Re: Msg 20429)
Date: 3-JUN-00:37: Network Digests

 >From: richa@tekred.TEK.COM (Rich Amber )
 >Subject: WriteNow - need help w/Headers
 >If anyone else out there is using the WriteNow program, I could use a
 >little help trying to put Headers (title lines) centered across the
 >whole page while using multi-column page setups.

I do this frequently, and didn't realize there was anything difficult.
My header ruler is set at 16cm, my paragraph rulers are at 7.8 cm. I did
Page Setup to get 2 columns.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: remembering files (Re: Msg 20430)
Date: 3-JUN-00:38: Network Digests

 >From: betz@runx.ips.oz (Andrew Betzis)
 >What details of a file can be saved so as the file can be accessed
after
 >a restart.

If you save volume name, dirID (a longword), and filename, you can
reopen the file (assuming you don't have volumes with the same name).

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"  (Swiss saying)

------------------------------

From: 9898STEVEM
Subject: Coprocessor boards
Date: 3-JUN-01:50: Hardware & Peripherals

Hi fellow MAC lovers. Does anyone know where I can get an 80286
coprocessor board for a MAC II.

Also (assuming of course they are available) does anyone know what you
then use for storage ie can you partition the hard drive to save MSDOS
files or do you need to use a whole hard drive OR (even worse) do you
have to make do with an external 5.25 drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
        [-: Steve :-]

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Coprocessor boards (Re: Msg 20470)
Date: 3-JUN-12:58: Hardware & Peripherals

AST is making a 80286 board for the Mac II.  They should be shipping in
the next month or two.

(They also are making an 8086 board for the Mac SE.)

peter

------------------------------

From: MER
Subject: RE: OpenCPort Trap (Re: Msg 20344)
Date: 5-JUN-22:02: Programming

Has anyone noticed that the MPW 2.0b1 interfaces don't match IM V too
well? Does anyone have any idea what's right and if things will ever
been in synch? Anyone using this stuff?

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: OpenCPort Trap (Re: Msg 20510)
Date: 7-JUN-03:27: Programming

I usually go with the interfaces.  I start having realitiy problems with
I find the stuff not working as documented.  I think the software is
usually newer than the documentation.

I've used some of the new toolbox and OS traps though they are woefully
documented.  While writing my Globe program (soon to be posted), I found
out the Palette Manager does not yet exist!  Not quite on the same level
as the new IBM vaporware but definitely troublesome.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 7-JUN-06:40: Programming

I'd use whichever is more recent.  Apple told me not to use the Pallette
Manager on the II because there was no documentation.  I _thought_ it
was mentioned in IM V, but could be the mention was incorrect (like the
mention of the non-existent Notification Manager).

------------------------------

From: LEPTONICSYS
Subject: Edit LAYO to fix TMON
Date: 6-JUN-01:53: Programming

Recent Finders have an animated watch with spinning hands that appear
during lengthy operations such as copying files. This feature can be
annoying when using TMON while in the Finder, because when you enter
TMON on a breakpoint, the cursor changes to a watch after a second. .To
fix this, you can use ResEdit to edit the LAYO resource in the Finder
and turn off the animated watch. Using ResEdit, open the Finder. Double
click on LAYO to see the LAYO 128 resource. DON'T double click on the
LAYO resource to see it, since the TMPL in ResEdit is too short and it
will truncate the LAYO. Instead, single-click on LAYO 128 to select it,
then pick "Open General" from the File menu. This brings up a hex
display of the LAYO resource. The last six bytes should read 00 04 00 00
00 78. Change them to 00 04 FF FF 00 78. Close each window and save the
changes. The problem with TMON should disappear since the Finder will
not display the animated watch. .Those new six bytes are interesting.
The middle two control the watch as described. The first byte stays as
0. The second byte controls the style of the sorted column heading in
the text views. For example when you have a window set to "View by Name"
the word "Name" in the window heading is underlined. That's what the 04
controls. If you want Bold Underline, set it to 05, etc. Finally, the
last 2 bytes control the COLOR of something. Color of what, I don't
know. If someone with a color Mac plays with them and tells me what they
control, I would appreciate it very much. .A new version of the free
LAYO editor utility "Layout" will appear soon that adds these and other
features, and that works better on a Mac II. I have heard a report that
on a Mac II, if you set the horizontal icon spacing very wide, a crash
will eventually happen at some later time when an application creates a
file and the Finder tries to place the file icon in the window. To
recover, boot from a floppy and copy a fresh Finder into the System
Folder. If someone can determine the exact nature of this problem, I'll
put a fix in the application. -Mike

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: list manager
Date: 30-MAY 16:59 Programming Techniques

Is there a way to move the position of a list created by the list
manager without disposing of the old one and recreating a new on at the
new position? thanks jim

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: RE: list manager (Re: Msg 1712)
Date: 31-MAY 12:11 Programming Techniques

I _think_ (uh oh) you can call LActivate(FALSE), poke new values into
the rectangle coordinates, then call LActivate(TRUE) and LUpdate(...).
I haven't tried this, but it _seems_ kosher...

Steve Maller

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: list manager (Re: Msg 1713)
Date: 31-MAY 21:37 Programming Techniques

Steve, what you suggested works ok as long as you only change the vRect
field. WHen i change the visable field system hangs big time!  thnaks
for the info jim

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: GetColor glue
Date: 31-MAY 23:04 Tools for Developers

Here's my glue for the color picker call GetColor, in LightspeedC.  The
Inside Mac V supplements disk didn't have any information on this call.

get_color(where,prompt,incolor,outColor) Point where; char *prompt;
RGBColor *inColor, *outColor; { asm {
  clr.w  -(SP)          ; space for result
  move.l where,-(SP)
  move.l prompt,-(SP)
  move.l inColor,-(SP)
  move.l outColor,-(SP)
  move.w #9,-(SP)       ; routine selector
  dc.w   0xa82e         ; _Pack12
  move.w (SP)+,D0       ; return the result C-style } }

------------------------------

From: PIPPIN
Subject: Control Panel Bug??
Date: 5-JUN-20:53: Developers' Corner

After writing a very simple CDEV, I decided to do something more useful.
 Just so happens I have an editText item in my DITL.  When I select my
CDEV from the Control Panel, the font becomes Chicago, and remains that
way for *all* other CDEV's installed.  If I close the Control Panel and
open it again, it is normal, until I select my CDEV.  Upon removing the
editText item from the DITL, all is fine.  So it seems the editText is
the problem.  I do absolutely no font manipulation whatsoever, and even
tried having my CDEV set the font to Geneva but no go. Is this a bug????
 Do I have to write my own editText handler and install it as a
userItem?? Everything works perfectly as long as there are no editText
items in my CDEV's DITL.  (Except I can't enter text!! :-)) Any ideas?
Barry J. Semo

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: RE: Control Panel Bug?? (Re: Msg 1736)
Date: 5-JUN-22:03: Developers' Corner

No ideas, as I wrote a simple CDEV also, but without edittext items.
I'll have to try that out and see if it happens to me. What machine are
you running? Be sure to post the fix here if you figure it out.
  Jan

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: 68020 cache
Date: 6-JUN-16:09: Programming Techniques

What's the instruction for turning off the 68020's internal cache?
 Jan

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: 68020 cache (Re: Msg 1740)
Date: 6-JUN-19:37: Programming Techniques

Jan,

According to the "MC68020 User's Manual", the low-order bit of the Cache
Cache Register is the Enable Cache bit.

You write to the Cache Control Register by the MOVEC instruction.  The
number for the Cache Control Register is hex '002' so the instruction is

MOVEC   ..,CACR               ; where .. is a register with the low-bit
clear

or in hex, the word for A0 would be

$4E7B8002

All this is from the book.  I haven't any 68020 to play with around
here. Thinking about it, though!

Laird

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: System Event Mask
Date: 7-JUN-03:55: MUGS Online

Re: System Event Mask To: WKISS%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>       Now the question arises, should it be up to the application to reset
> the System Event Mask before exiting ...?  Or, should you not even [bother to
> set] it but just ignore those events which don't concern you even though
> they will add a certain amount of overhead to the program?

The best policy is to leave the System Event Mask alone, and to ignore
those events which you don't care about.  Altering low memory variables
that affect system-wide behavior should be avoided whenever possible for
the sake of long- term compatibility with future systems.  Even now, the
problem is not only that subsequent applications are affected; desk
accessories running with the current application would also be affected.

If the System Event Mask is altered, it is up to the altering
application to restore it.

End of Delphi Mac Digest