[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #101

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (06/13/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Friday, 12 Jun 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 101

Today's Topics:
                  Command-Shift FKEY's under System 4.1
                           RE: Juggler 1.0D???
                           System 4.1 problem
                   Re: weird SE keyboard, XP-40 sounds
                     using the mac II extended keys
                          RE: Minimum file size
                       Fonts and 'FOND' resources
               Problems with File transfer from BitNet...
                     Supermac (DataFrame) Utilities
                           RE: Mousing Around
                    "Long Term Mac Usage" - A summary
                      Problems with Laserwriter 4.0
                           Classroom Networks
               Re: converting Tektronix 401x to Postscript
      Off the shelf SCSI drives  Re: "Hard Disks on Mac" in IM #100
                        MacII Internal Drive ???
                         quiet HD advice needed
                           Dataframe XP40 Mice
                            Squealing drives
                            Tip for Word 3.0
               PageMaker 2.0: What they DON'T mention....
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #30

Date: 8 Jun 87 15:12:06 GMT
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Command-Shift FKEY's under System 4.1

Has anyone else noticed that FKEY's (Command-Shift-1 for example) seem
to be permanently enabled under System 4.1, regardless of the value
of global ScrDmpEnb?

I have MacKermit 0.8, which disables ScrDmpEnb by default.  Under 4.1,
they're enabled by default, and toggling the enabling menu item seems to
have no effect.  This worked normally under System 3.3.

Joel West
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww      (ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)
jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    if you must

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 08:50 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: Juggler 1.0D???

My local user's group downloaded the Juggler package over a month ago.  I'm
not sure how it managed to be posted on the service we subscribe to, but it
must not have been an authorized Apple posting if it was removed from the
bulletin board that you use.

Juggler is pre-release software.  The present package consists of three files:
Juggler 1.0D (32K), Finder 6.0a4 (89.5K), SysDAHandler (3.5K), and a short
text file that someone outside of Apple wrote along the way.  Juggler requires
system 4.0 or later (works fine under 4.1) and Finder 6.0.  It also requires a
system heap size of 128K or larger.  In the version we used, the boot blocks
had to be modified to be modified using Fedit to reflect the 128K requirement.
However, since System 4.1 has the ability to increase the heap size dynamically
on boot, I assume that Juggler will take care of this expansion itself when it
is released.

Finder 6.0 (released before Finder 5.5) closely resembles Finder 5.4 with
three major exceptions.  When you drag an icon or group of icons, an outline
of the icon's actual shape, not just a box, is dragged, very similar to
Servant.  When running under Juggler, selecting GET INFO on an application
presents the standard Finder 5.4 Get Info box, with two new fields below the
comment box.  These fields allow you to set the preferred and minimum memory
requirements that are used by both Switcher and Juggler.  And finally, the
Finder's about box gives a graph showing memory allocation and usage for the
operating system and all programs currently running under Juggler.

When running (usually as the startup application), Juggler puts the small
icon of the currently active application in the far right corner of the menu
bar, far enough away from Easy Access' use of the menu bar.  The names and
small icons of any programs running under Juggler are also added to the apple
menu, below the desk accessories.  You can switch to another program by simply
activating its window (ala Servant and MultiMac) or by selecting its name
from the apple menu.  Juggler also adds "About Juggler..." to the very bottom
of the apple menu, which simply shows a cute logo and version information.

Desk accessories have their own global application called DA Handler that is
loaded into memory when a DA is selected from the Apple menu.  This lets DAs
operate in their own 45K partition, without bothering the rest of the system.
Eventually, the DA Handler application will be incorporated directly into
Juggler itself.

Just like Servant, any application launched from the Finder runs under
Juggler. The current version (like Servant) only allows background tasking,
but the shell will appear the same for applications when true multi-tasking
is released (probably with the release of the 68851 MMU).  Juggler appears
to work well on older machines, too (MacPlus, even the Mac512Ke---with
severe memory limitations, of course).

Overall, Juggler seems to be a very major, very GOOD step in the right
direction for Apple.  Its user interface, with few exceptions, closely
follows the Macintosh standard (unlike Servant), and it provides the
convenience, flexibility, and speed often lacking in Switcher.

Paul Christensen
CSNET: PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 87 21:15:08 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 4.1 problem

Recently the various digests were full of horror stories about the new 4.1/5.5
OS from Apple.. we all wait impatiently the 5.x/6.x Juggler combo but in the
mean time I got this problem.. when ever I run under 4.1/5.5 and the boot
disk is not available for the application I end up with the wavering square.
Could it be that my trusty Mac forgot how to ask for the system disk?? more
likely I forgot to set up one of the flags for the System/Finder since I got
my system via one of the networks.
Anyone else had this problem? any solution?

 Zak

'Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same
place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run atleast twice as fast
as that.'  /TtLG

------------------------------

Date: Wed 10 Jun 87 23:14:34-PDT
From: John M. Relph <Relph@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: weird SE keyboard, XP-40 sounds

MKonar@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:

> 3) We got a MacSE some time ago that insisted on spraying dashes (-)
> right after booting up into the first text item it could, usually the
> title of the startup disk.  We fixed it by opening the keyboard and
> reseating all the chips (maybe it was only one) and the ADB connectors.
> I don't know if this problem might be related to the mouse problems I
> read about, but it might be worth a try if you don't mind voiding your
> warranty.

  I had this same problem after rebuilding my Dataframe XP-40 and
System 4.0 at the time) was larger than 800K, so the DiskFit backup
program split it into two files on the floppies.  When I reloaded the
system from the floppies there was a 300-400K discrepancy between the
size of the system when it was backed up onto floppies and when it was
backed down.  I tried using the DiskFit Join command manually and was
able to get the System back to its original size, and the problem with
dashes filling the first text item went away.
  I suppose the point of all this is that I expect the System file you
were working with was corrupted in some fashion.  It may be best to
rebuild the System starting with a fresh System from the Utilities
disk.  I believe I tried running the Install program to attempt to fix
the corrupted System, but the Install program took the corruption as a
form of customization and installed it in the new System.  Ooops.
  On another subject, I have had my Dataframe XP-40 for a number of
months now, and apart from the usual controller failure the first time
I tried to use it (MacWeek estimates that 10% of all hard disks fail
initially) I have had no problems with it.  None that were the fault
of the disk, that is.  It does make a "crunching" sound as the heads
move, but normally there is no "whining," even at power-down as Greg
Hamm describes.  There were two or three days where it made a slight
whining sound, but it hasn't reappeared since.
 John

John M. Relph
IntelliGenetics, Inc.
Relph@Bionet-20.ARPA or Relph@ECLC.USC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 87 09:47:02 CDT
From: "Kevin Altis" <C413315@UMCVMB>
Subject: using the mac II extended keys

could someone with an ms-dos or unix manual for the mac ii, please tell
the rest of us how to access the functions keys... on the mac extended
keyboard?  other than almost all the keys registering as control-p with
i haven't been able to use them.  can they be assigned whole text strings?
will they only send a single keycode that your program is supposed to
decode?  or are these really smart keyboards?
thanks, kevin altis c413315@umcvmb

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 87 18:59:40 EDT
From: MacTechnics_User_Group@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: RE: Minimum file size

If I remember correctly, the number of allocated (or free) blocks on a disk
is a 16-bit quantity.  Thus if the disk is larger than 16 Megabytes, the
minimum block size must be greater than 512 bytes.  (assuming unsigned
integers, which the documentation doesn't always indicate).

I recently used Apple's Code-Unlocker utility to unlock the CODE segments
in my program and found a bug.  It seems that the program didn't work if
the CODE segments skipped a few numbers.  Since I program in LightSpeed C,
I would've had to rebuild the project to get the CODE segments in order.
Instead, I wrote a better version of Apple's utility.  If there is any
need, give me a call.

Eric Shapiro
MacTechnics
313-668-1881 (work)

------------------------------

Date: Mon 8 Jun 87 15:27:32-PDT
From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Fonts and 'FOND' resources

A week or so ago, I posted a question about the FOND resources in the
System file not agreeing with the FOND resources in the Fonts file with
the System 3.2 distribution.

We just obtained a Mac SE, and it had System 4.1 in it.  In order to
maintain compatibility with the Mac Plus and the LaserWriter, I used
the Installer to update *ONLY* the LaserWriter and Imagewriter
files in the System Folder (I didn't want to use System 4.1 on the
Plusses, since MacTerminal doesn't work with it yet).  After applying
the update, the 'FOND' resource problem was fixed!!!!  So I guess
Apple realized the  problem and used the Installer Script for the
LaserWriter to fix it!!!  Thanks, Apple!!!!

A side note:  We are running System 4.1, Finder 5.5, LaserWriter 4.0
on the SE and System 3.2, Finder 5.3, LaserWriter 4.0 on the Mac Plusses
without having any problems.  When Apple gets MacTerminal to work
with System 4.1, then we'll update the Plusses.  Also, the local
Mac dealer (the Stanford Bookstore) advised me that "Apple has told
us not to have people update their MacPlusses with System 4.1"  Does
that mean that a newer release of the System is imminent and it
will work with MacTerminal???

Irv Lustig
Dept. of Operations Research
Stanford University
or.lustig@sierra.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 14:23:31 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Problems with File transfer from BitNet...

Last week there was a posting about scrambled BinHex files
GoneFishing, ScreenLock, FileMaster, ....

Unfortunately those files have been uploaded to the BitNet node by me,
so I would like to know, if somebody else has ever had this problem.
This is how it happens:

I pack the files using PackIt III, then run BinHex 4.0 on them and transfer
them to an IBM using RedRyder and CrossTalk with XModem Protocol. This
procedure is reversible and leads to a file, which is OK and can be de-
BinHex'ed. When I then transfer this file using an IBM equipped with a
3278 Emulation Card to an IBM EARN (BitNet) host and convert those
files to EBCDIC format, they are readable, they can be processed, but
sometimes (I cannot tell why or when it happens) there are spaces
in the middle of those files.

The funny thing is: I have never had problems in the other direction.
Using the same equippment, the same programs, everything works fine.

Please help me, so that I'm able to repost the items mentioned above...

Alexander

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 87 00:26:00 EDT
From: <hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Supermac (DataFrame) Utilities

I just downloaded all the latest Supermac utilities onto my XP40.  Everything
seems to work fine - except SuperLaserSpool, with which I've encountered a
couple of minor problems (otherwise I'm quite impressed).  The first thing I
printed with this spooler had a couple of adjacent words printed on top of each
other in the middle of a 1-page document.  I immediately reprinted it, and it
was fine the second time.  Has anyone else seen this?

The second thing I noticed was that the Lunar Lander game I downloaded the
other day started misbehaving:  it kept jumping from wide angle view to
zoom view so as to be unplayable.  Since it didn't do this yesterday, I
suspected SuperLaserSpool.  Sure enough, when I clicked "Deinstall" in the
Laser Queue DA, Lunar Lander ran normally again.

I'm quite prepared to believe Lunar Lander is at fault here, but, having
seen the other problem, I wonder whether anyone else is seeing problems
with the spooler.

SuperLaserSpooler and LaserQueue DA are both version 1.01 df.

Greg H. Hamm                              || Phone:  (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab ||
Waksman Institute/NJ CABM                 || BITNET: hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || ARPA:   hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08854 * USA                ||

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 07:52:01 MDT
From: Robert J. Thum <RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: RE: Mousing Around

In the June 7 Issue of Delphi Mac Digest (Vol.3:Issue 30) Debbie asks:
>I would like to get my hands on the tool to open my Mac......
>But how can I get ahold of the manuals and the tool?....

Debbie,
Howard W. Sams and Co., Inc. of 4300 West 62nd Street, P.O. Box 7092,
Indianapolis, Indiana, 46206, U.S.A. Publishes a series of tech manuals for
computers, called SAMS ComputerFacts. These are *VERY VERY* good and
detailed almost to a fault. For the Apple Model A9M0303 (the Model 1)
ImageWriter order COMPUTERFACTS #CP8 (Technical Service Data for your
Printer). There is a toll free Phone No. 1-800-428-SAMS. They also have
manuals for most computers and perpherial devices. NO Apple service tech I
have ever meet even know about the Manuls for SAMS, remember the service
shop generaly only replaces the boards and sends then back to Apple for
repair and recycling.

Hope the this helps. Sorry I could not send it directly to you.

Robert Thum                 ARPA: RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Phone: (505) 526-8199

------------------------------

Date: Mon 8 Jun 87 15:21:24-PDT
From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: "Long Term Mac Usage" - A summary

I received a few replies to my question about keeping on Macs continuously.
Most people felt that using a Mac 512 or Plus without a fan was living
dangerously, unless the room was temperature controlled.  The experience
is limited with the SE, but most felt that its fan should solve any
overheating problems that might occur.

Thanks to all of those who replied.

Irv Lustig
Department of Operations Research

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 18:10:18 EDT
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@LABS-B.BBN.COM>
Subject: Problems with Laserwriter 4.0

I, too, have had a problem with Laserwriter 4.0.  I have a document which MS
Word 3.0 used to print just fine.  In this document, I defined the page size
to be 17 x 22 and printed at 50% reduction.  This works just fine and it's a
lot easier to edit a 12 point font than a 6 point one!  But Laserwriter 4.0
decided for some reason that I would prefer for this document to have 3" of
white space at the bottom of each page of my document in lieu of the top 3"
of text (shifting everything in the middle up).  Reverting to Laserwriter 3.1
solved the problem.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 87 23:57 ADT
From: <SYAPPLE%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Classroom Networks

I am currently setting up a network of Macintoshes to be used in the
classroom. Budget has reared it's ugly head, and it looks like I'll be
working with 12 Mac 512k's and an old HD-20 serial hardisk. Ho-hum; talk
about slow...

Anyway, I have PhoneNet connectors and MacServe software to do this. I'd
like to hear from others using networks in the classroom; what software
do you keep on the hardisk, which do you run from floppies, etc? What
are the best configurations you have managed to come up with? What kind
of teaching problems arise? I think that we all know software behaves
wonderfully until we try to teach it to someone else... I'd really like
to hear about any specific problems you've had, or see coming.

Software we plan on using:

PageMaker 2.0
MicroSoft Word 3.0
Fullpaint
MacDraw
various Databases
Excel 1.04
Thunder

Thanks in advance. I'll summarize, etc etc.

My very own personal disclaimer: I apologize. Period. I don't even
*have* an employer...

Joe
(907) 474-7901
SYAPPLE@ALASKA

------------------------------

Date: 9 June 1987, 10:08:19 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: converting Tektronix 401x to Postscript

There is a simple way to convert Tektronix 4010 (and 4014) output to
postscript. VersaTerm PRO provides Tektronix emulation and it is possible
to save the graphics in PICT format or print the vectors directly. Certainly
it is simple to convert a PICT format document into postscript (Press Command-F
after clicking in the OK button of the PRINT dialog and a postscript file
is created instead of printing to the LaserWriter) in MacDraw or other
such program. I assume it is possible to do this directly in VersaTerm Pro
but I never tried it.
David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87  09:49:07 CDT
From: ragan%CDCCentr.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Off the shelf SCSI drives  Re: "Hard Disks on Mac" in IM #100

We have hooked an off the shelf SCSI drive (a Control
Data Wren III 156MB drive) to a Macintosh. It worked
fine except for the known problem in the Mac+ ROM's
which prevents booting from "standard" SCSI drives
because the ROM's time out too soon. Booting from a
floppy solves this problem on a Mac+. The drive boots
directly on a MAC/SE or II where the ROM problem is
fixed. Directions for building a drive like this for
approx. $2000 yourself can be found in the June 1987
MacTutor.

When I get my Mac II, I plan to install the Wren III
half-height model (91MB) internally. As far as I can
tell from Apple spec's (power, size, etc.) it should
fit and work.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 87 14:22:53 PDT (Monday)
Subject: MacII Internal Drive ???
From: Josh Susser <Susser.pasa@Xerox.COM>

I was checking out the price of a MacII system today (don't ask me why,
I won't be able to afford one for a looong time), and I noticed that
Apple wants about $1600 for the 40M internal SCSI drive. For $1600 I
could go buy a Jasmine 80 and still have enough left over to get some
CDs I've been wanting for a while. So the question is this: What are the
advantages (if any) of getting an internal drive in a MacII, and are
they worth the extra cost?

Please respond to me and I'll post to the net.

Josh
Susser.pasa@Xerox.com
susser@parcvax.xerox.com

 "My people are the people of the dessert,"
 said T.E.Lawrence, picking up his fork.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 87 07:16:55 EDT
From: Mark Zimmermann  zim@mitre.arpa
Subject: quiet HD advice needed

  A friend is in the market to get a hard disk drive -- chief criterion
is that it be *quiet*.  Reliability and speed are secondary, and after that,
price.  Any advice?
  In particular, she wonders if anybody has experience with Ehman Engineering
SCSI drives ... are they as quiet as their ads claim?  Tnx for help ...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 87 10:20:54 -0800
From: duggie@portia.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Dataframe XP40 Mice

I have a Dataframe XP40 and know just what Joe Kennebec is talking about.
Every few minutes, the drive starts squeeling and chirping (in addition
to the usual loud but acceptable hum).  Despite the noise, I have had
no data problems and am quite happy with the performance of the disk.
I seem to remember somewhere something about bearings (?) that one can
lubricate (?) to get rid of the noise.  Does anyone remember the exact
information-- the neighbor's cat would really appreciate it.

 Doug Felt
 duggie@portia.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 09:00:23 PDT
From: PUGH%CCC.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Squealing drives

About the noisy Alaskan Dataframe:

There was discussion about this on Usenet some months/years ago so here is a
quick synopsis and my personal experience.

Apparently, SuperMac and Micah both used a certain type of drive (details
forgotten) that had a carryover from the 8" floppy days, in the form of a
static brush on the spindle of the drive.  Well, what do you get when you rub
a steel spindle into a block of carbon?  One hell of a high pitched whine that
can kill dogs and drive humans mad.  Several mass murderers are using this in
their defense.

I have a Micah that was suffering from this and I was going to start by
killing the dealer who sold it to me, but I first called tech support and
asked them what to do (back in the days when there was tech support).  They
said to do some minor surgery and (to use a medical term I heard during my
gallbladder exorcism) "rip the sucker out."  Apparently it is much like a
gallbladder and can be disposed of without loss of functionality.

Here's what you do.  Open your drive and remove the controller board from the
drive itself.  You will need a SMALL torx for this.  I think it's a #8. For
those of you out of the know, a torx is the screwdriver for those funky star
shaped screws on the back of your Mac.  There are more of them inside.

On the inside of the controller card, the offending carbon pad lurks.  With
some pliers, some care and a lot of sadistic pleasure, grab that sucker and
twist it off, without damaging the board any more than necessary.

Reassemble and you will be much better off.  As usual, I make no claims as to
the safety of this procedure so you should have someone along to blame, just
in case.

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 18:20:31 PDT
From: Jaime Gomez <jaime@denali.stanford.edu>
Subject: Tip for Word 3.0

If you want to print fast and with fairly good quality you must try Faster
bidirectional. But with Word 3.0 the trick of holding down Caps Lock, Shift
and Option while clicking OK in the print dialog does not work. Instead
you should follow the next steps:
    1-While holding down Caps Lock, Shift and Option, pull down the
      Edit menu and choose Print. Incredibly enough the standard
      Imagewriter Print Menu shows up on the screen.
    2-Choose Faster and click OK while holding down (guess what?) Caps
      Lock, Shift and Option. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
    3-Now, the Imagewriter is ready to interpret Faster as bidirectional
      faster. Choose Print again (no more keytricks) and choose Faster
      on the nonstandard Microsoft Print dialog.
    4-Enjoy your Imagewriter printing Faster twice faster.

jaime

jaime@denali.stanford.edu
j.jjgh@othello.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 87 17:03 ADT
From: <GFJAK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PageMaker 2.0: What they DON'T mention....

Hey, gang:

I'm starting to figure out some of the "rules" that the PageMaker 2.0
manual doesn't mention. Thought I'd pass some along...

When printing to the LaserWriter, PageMaker 2.0 offers you the option of
using the Apple Driver (which sets up printing parameters in the LW using
Apple's Laser Prep) or the Aldus Driver (which sets those parameters using
PageMaker's own Aldus Prep). There is a *big* difference, and unfortunately
each has its own flaws.

The Aldus Driver: PageMaker assumes you will use this driver the most, and
recommends using the Apple Driver only when you have probelems printing
PICT graphics imported into your PageMaker document. The Aldus Driver does
a superior job of printing bitmapped graphics and imported digitized
graphics. It also allows you to point/click and resize bitmapped graphics
to the nearest multiple of your PostScript printer's resolution.

However, as a typographer I find the letter kerning (spacing) that the
Aldus Driver provides on bold, capital letters 12 point and above to be
quite unacceptable (too much space between letters). The Apple Driver does
a much better job, as did the old Aldus Prep 1.2 (usable only with old
PageMaker 1.2).

So I find myself switching back and forth between using the Apple and Aldus
Drivers (and wishing there was a simple button to toggle between the two in
the Print Dialogue box, instead of going through 2 different dialogues to
switch).  However, this presents some other problems..

When you use the Apple Driver, you lose many of the specific features of
PageMaker:

(1) Large, bold text which has been imported or created with it's Paragraph
Format set to Automatic Pair Kerning (PageMaker's defualt setting) may have
large, random gaps between letters. Workaround: select that text and turn
Auto kerning off.

(2) Graphics created with the Pagemaker graphic tools (boxes and circles,
mostly) and filed with a LaserWriter grey from the Shades Menu will be
filled with the screen bitmap representation of that grey, not the
LaserWriter grey. Also, line widths specific to PageMaker (1.5 pts, etc)
will default to nearest integer values. No workaround.

(3) The order in which PageMaker prints multiple page documents (last page
first, etc) varies between the Apple and Aldus drivers. With the Apple
Driver, you can only print front to back (page one first, second page
second, etc.) Clicking Reverse Order in the Print Dialogue box does
nothing, which means you will always have to hand reverse long documents.
The Aldus driver defaults to back to front printing (the correct order!),
and Reverse Order reverses that.  Workarounds: feature, not bug...

Other things to note: Pagemaker records which Driver and type of PostScript
printer (LaserWriter, LaserWriter Plus, LaserWriter from early 1985,
Linotronic 100, Linotronic 300, etc) last used *with each individual
document*. So if you last used the Apple Driver and specified LaserWriter
Plus last time you printed "Letter to Mom," that is what you will get next
time you print it, unless you stop to change it. If you *do* change it,
remember to click OK when PageMaker asks you if you want to save changes
(upon closing).

This message is too long already. See you all in netland; remember, I am
open to questions about PageMaker, using the LW with any grapics
application, and Desktop Publishing in general.

Joe at University of Alaska/Tanana Valley Community College

 N   C    L    Y             STANDARD DISCLAIMER 11-76: If the Administration
  O   U    O    E                knew this network existed, they would cut
       T    G    T                     it's budget, too.        Joe
        E    O

That's GFJAK@ALASKA to you Bitters....

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 13:23 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #30

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, June 7, 1987           Volume 3 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
     Manuals (4 messages)
     NEC Multisyncs
     RE: Weird mouse tracking problem in Syst
     RE: BinHex 5.0 vs. BinHex 4.0
     re: Icons for non-APPL files
     re: MAC-II development environments
     re: Icon Quest
     re: New version WriteNow Translator DA
     re: PageMaker and ReadySetGo compared
     RE: New system/finder (3 messages)
     MacHack '87
     The Low down on LoDOWN...
     Fortran
     Fix for PL30 boot problems
     re: Mac SE 68020 Accelerator Cards???
     RE: Mac II Batteries?
     RE: Standardized "calls" (Again!)
     RE: System 4.1 Tornado Warning! (2 messages)
     FKey-0 ? (3 messages)
     Fuzzy SE Screen
     Mac II problems? (2 messages)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-30.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest