[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #32

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (06/18/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, June 17, 1987       Volume 3 : Issue 32

Today's Topics:
     Looking for Scanner (2 messages)
     Smart Alarms on Mac II
     RE: Hello --
     4d report by Linda (3 messages)
     RE Catching all keyDown events in a DA
     RE: demo of SuitCase and PowerStation
     re:  Poison Folders
     New System files
     Strange Behavior
     Cache
     RE: 68020 cache
     DiskFit
     re: Callable Interfaces to a database
     Sample horrid Mac program
     Course Builder
     Vision Technologies (2 messages)
     Music S/W Print Capabilities (3 messages)
     2 sided drive /xl
     MacWEEK aquires MacInTouch (2 messages)
     /gs keyboard for SE

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: Looking for Scanner
Date: 7-JUN-23:50: Hardware & Peripherals

I am in the market for a Scanner as soon as possible.  I am confused as
to which one to buy.  I realize that most are the same hardware, but the
software may be better than others.  Also, I had assumed that a flatbed
type would be better, but is this correct, and if so are they THAT much
more expensive?  I am not as interested in OCR as I am with quality
photographs for newsletters and catalogs.

Any info would be appreciated.  If you are a vendor, give me a call at
(602) 945-0368 (if you have them in stock), or leave mail for Synthony.
Thanks in advance!

Bill Cone Synthony Music

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Looking for Scanner (Re: Msg 20569)
Date: 10-JUN 18:38 Hardware & Peripherals

Bill, the latest MacWorld has a scanner article.  I haven't read it and
don't know whether it's fluff or stuff.  July issue.

Ric

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Smart Alarms on Mac II
Date: 9-JUN-02:46: Bugs & Features

There appears to be a bug in the Mac II SysBeep/SndPlay routine which
causes a series of beeps in quick succession to sometimes cause the
machine to freeze. This bug is evidenced if the beep sound is set to
"Monkey"; I haven't tried other beep sounds. In particular, this will
sometimes cause Smart Alarms to freeze when it posts a reminder, at
which time it issues 5 beeps in quick succession.  The following Fedit
patch to the Smart Alarms DRVR resource named ".Rmdr" seems to solve the
problem; it introduces a 1/30 second delay between each SysBeep call
made by Smart Alarms.

Change: 4E56 FFFA 2F07 7E01 6008 3F3C 000F A9C8 5247 0C47 To:     7204
3F3C 000F A9C8 307C 0002 A03B 51C9 FFF2 4E75

The DRVR resource named ".Rmdr" is installed into the System file by the
Smart Alarms installer.  The above patch can be applied directly to a
System file into which Smart Alarms has been installed, if desired,
although you should check (via Fedit's "Repeat Search" command) that the
original code sequence is unique within the System file.

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Hello -- (Re: Msg 20491)
Date: 9-JUN-19:29: MUGS Online

I'm using a hard disk with PageMaker 2.0 (is it really useable on a
floppy based system?), but the data file size really bugs me. I go
through three or four backup disks a week, as opposed to one or so every
two weeks with 1.2. And my hard disks (80 meg included) are full enough
with other things (XPress, Illustrator, PageMaker 1.2, Cricket Draw,
both Words, a 1.7 meg System file, and a bunch of Adobe Systems
downloadable fonts) that I do have space problems with it. I think I
understand what you ask re: exporting files - I've exported a document
to Word 3.0, saved Word 3.0 as DCA and brought it into WordPerfect
without a problem.
    I found a serious limitation in the data-file compatibility aspects
of PageMaker 2.0 vs. PageMaker for the IBM: Macintosh PICT graphics do
not transfer over, and IBM PIC graphics don't either. Argh! Now, this
means that we must spend mega-bucks to upgrade our old XT so that it can
run PageMaker so that we can print properly to the Linotronic. *SIGH*
BTW, one of our customers transferred over one of the sample IBM
Pagemaker documents. When it appeared on the Mac end, the bitmap
graphics (the only kind of interchangeable graphics) were messed up
royally. Transfer was accomplished using TOPS, and the same results
occured when I tried it. The people at Aldus had never heard of the
problem, said they would look into it, and would call me on Monday. I
haven't heard from them yet...

Robert Hammen Madison Macintosh Users Group

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: 4d report by Linda
Date: 10-JUN 01:43 Business Mac

4th Dimension demo

Guy Kawasaki and Scott Knaster are giving user groups a chance to learn
about ACIUS' soon-to-be-released product, 4th Dimension.  Since product
brochures are out and we weren't under nondisclosure last weekend, I
thought I'd give a few first impressions after spending a day with the
latest version and with the release documentation.

4D is going to be lots of things to lots of people.  Of course, first
and foremost, it's a fully-relational database.  The user interface for
creating files, fields, links, layout screens, and reports is very
intuitive.  The database structure is mapped out first, the fields are
defined, and the layout screens are created.  Database structure is
essentially unlimited, and the program allows you to make almost _any_
modification to your fields and relations without losing any data.  If
restructuring is necessary, it is often done very rapidly before your
eyes without user intervention.  Sometimes, a reorganizing utility must
be run on the file if links are changed, and sometimes data has to be
transfered via a procedure, but only if fundamental changes to links are
made.  The manual has excellent examples of how to accomplish such
tasks.

Field attributes are varied.  4D supports alpha fields of up to 80
characters, text fields of up to 32K (the only kind of field that can't
be indexed, but it can be searched), integers, reals, longints, dates,
and subfiles.  (I must have missed at least one or two--oh yeah,
calculated fields too.)  Any field can be indexed (except text), made
mandatory, filtered for uniqueness, chosen from a pre-defined list, or
provided (by two lines of code) with a default value.

Layouts are easily created by a combination of 4D's automatic layout
generation tools and an icon-driven MacDraw-like interface.  Headers,
footers, breakpoints, and detail sections are drawn just as they should
appear in the final screen. Layouts can be used for input or for output
to the screen or printer.  Any PICT resource can be imported.

All of these features seem more powerful than the corresponding tools
found in FileMaker Plus, and the graphics handling has Omnis 3 beat
cold.  Helix might handle graphics as well, but it is much too confusing
and overburdens the user with icons.  4D gives you more a feeling of
being in control.

But wait.  That's not even the good part.  While you can use all these
features to set up a database in next to no time, the real beauty of
this program comes from its programmability.  With over 200 commands,
you won't find much that 4D can't do.  The programming language appears
straightforward, and the programming tools are unequalled.  Like the
acclaimed Lightspeed Pascal interface, 4D allows you to type text into a
window which automatically boldfaces reserved words and indents loops.
The bottom part of the editor window contains all the possible algebraic
operators, database and field names, 4D functions, and 4D procedures
that you can include in your program.  You just point and click to write
the program (like Microphone's script language) if you don't want to
type.

The editing window allows you to set breakpoints and trace your
program's execution.  You can even watch the program be interpreted step
by step if you like.  And if you're not much for typing in
procedure-oriented languages, a simple click of a radio button when you
open a new procedure allows you to write your programs as flow charts,
like the VIP environment.

You will find that debugging 4D programs is a snap, thanks to this
interface. Writing them is also a snap.

4D comes with lots of documentation--five books full to be exact.  You
get

 o  Tutorial to get you up and running fast
 o  Users guide to go a bit more into depth
 o  Programming guide for people writing full 4D applications
 o  Command guide, also for people writing full 4D applications
 o  Utilities guide to explain 4D mover, 4D configure, and some other
    neat utilities

If you're not really into programming, you'll mostly only need the first
two books.  If you're a programmer, you'll need them all.  They're
well-written with lots of well-documented examples about how to do
things.

I'll probably have more to say about 4D after tomorrow's demos, but I've
only bearly scratched the surface myself.

ACIUS hopes to release 4D by the end of this month.  It will be mainly
available through Apple-authorized dealers, although ComputerWare will
have it at their retail location in Palo Alto, and roughly 25 other
stores software stores will carry it as well.  SRP $695 for the full
program, $295 for four runtime modules.

Linda

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: 4d report by Linda (Re: Msg 20611)
Date: 10-JUN 20:54 Business Mac

What kinds of example applications did you see (or what kinds will they
ship with the software).  What's the typical path to becoming a 4d
expert?  Is there any culture shock for Omnis or Helix users (things
they will have to unlearn)? Will there be any database conversion aids
for someone who already has a lot of data on an older product?

What kinds of applications does 4d have difficulty with?  (There must be
some, since every database has some limitations or areas where its way
of doing things just doesn't match the problem at hand.)

peter

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: RE: 4d report by Linda (Re: Msg 20635)
Date: 10-JUN 21:45 Business Mac

Examples: dept. budgeting & company salaries custom app, some other
examps. Not many.  ACIUS promised not to sell any applications, in order
to encourage fourth-party software development.

To become a 4D expert: learn Pascal or some programming language, or
learn 4D - play with it, in my opinion, and/or take their course.

Yes, some unlearning, especially for Omnis programmers.

db conversion aids: some, not sure whether they're gonna ship.

As for the rest of your questions, I'll bring them to ACIUS's attention
tomorrow.

-- Raines Cohen / Team BMUG

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE Catching all keyDown events in a DA
Date: 10-JUN 03:20 MUGS Online

To: kkim%f.cs.uiuc.edu@a.cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: RE: RE:  HELP WANTED - Catching all keyDown events in a
Subject: desk accessory.

A desk accessory cannot hope to have access to every keydown event in the event
queue.

Consider how your desk accessory is getting control calls.  The application's
main loop looks something like this:

  repeat
        SystemTask;
        if GetNextEvent(...) then
            HandleEvent
  until Done

Periodic (dNeedTime) control calls are issued by SystemTask.  Keydown events are
posted at VBL interrupt time, i.e., asynchronously.  Therefore, any keydown
event which "occurs" (is posted) between the time you poll the event queue (you
are effectively a subroutine of SystemTask) and the time that GetNextEvent
causes the event to be dequeued will not be seen by you.

The reason that you saw a higher proportion of keydown events when you increased
the number of times you walked through the queue each time you were called is
simply that you decreased the relative size of the time window -- between your
last poll and the dequeue by GetNextEvent -- relative to the total elapsed time
of each application loop iteration.

(Your code as posted was not walking the event queue, but looking only at the
first element.  I assume this was a posting error or an omission in your
synopsis.)

You might consider patching GetOSEvent as follows:

        Call original GetOSEvent
        If a keydown event is returned
                examine caller's EventRcd and alter if/as appropriate

This does not allow for applications using EventAvail or OSEventAvail to obtain
(but not dequeue) a keydown event and act on its contents, but I would guess
that is an unlikely scenario in the kinds of applications (e.g., MacWrite or
word processors in general) with which you seem to be interested.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: demo of SuitCase and PowerStation
Date: 10-JUN 03:21 MUGS Online

To: DAVEG at SLACUM

> It is expected to be released about July 1st.

Er, I said only "July."  Basis the kind remarks in your article, I trust the
"1st" represents wishful thinking on your part rather than a misstatement by me
at the demo!

Just one minor clarification:  Suitcase will make the contents of up to ten
Font/DA Mover document files (and/or FKEY files) available.   Some might infer
from your article that only one file of each type could be used, in which case
they might wonder how the beta tester I mentioned got 130+ DAs in his apple menu
(Font/DA Mover will install at most 52 DAs into one file).

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re:  Poison Folders (Re: Msg 20602)
Date: 10-JUN 21:16 Network Digests

 >From: MKonar@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
 >Subject: Poison Folders, MacII monitor gripes, weird SE keyboard
 >running into problems like freezing mice after clicking
 >on a particular folder.

I've had the machine hang after double-clicking on a folder (not quite the same
as what you describe).  When it happens, I use ResEdit and turn off the Init bit
on the folder.

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be illegal."

------------------------------

From: GISLI
Subject: New System files
Date: 12-JUN 09:14 Macintosh Developers

I have received the new System (ver. 4.1) and I am trying to localize it (I live
in Iceland) but there is a lot of new resources in it. I would greatly
appreciate if someone could answer some of the following questions (I presume
that IM 5 answers them but I don't have it):

1) What is the format of 'INTL' 2? I can see that the first 6 words are offsets
to some code (mainly empty routines in the USA version, that is only RTS) but
what are those six routines supposed to do?

2) Why are 'INTL' 0-2 duplicated in 'itl0', 'itl1' and 'itl2'.

3) What is the format of 'itlb' and 'itlc'.

4) I have found out the format of the 'KCHR' resource, but what are the 'KMAP'
resource and the 'Key Layout' file used for?

5) What are those resources: ADBS, cicn, KSWP, lmem, MBDF, mcky, mitq, PACK 12,
snth?

6) What do the three INIT's in the 'Easy Access' file do? According to their
names (e.g. 'Sticky Keys') they have something to do with the keyboard.

7) What is the difference between the format of the new Installer resources (
'insc') and the old ones? ResEdit chrashes when trying to open the new ones (I
have a 'TMPL' that understands the old format).

Thanks in advance. Gisli R. Hjaltason Reykjavik, Iceland

------------------------------

From: JAFF
Subject: Strange Behavior
Date: 12-JUN 12:42 Developers' Corner

I'm experiencing some bizarre behavior from the Finder after I quit from an
application I'm developing with TML Pascal 2.0:  the Finder no longer responds
to a double-click.  Launches can only be done by selecting an icon and doing
OPEN from the File menu (or Command/O from keyboard).  Has anyone else had this
happen?  What's going on??? Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: Cache
Date: 13-JUN 20:39 Programming Techniques

Ahem, Ok, now I can turn the instruction caching on the 68020 off. But, how do I
tell which state it's in (on or off), and if it's off, how do I turn it back on?
Guess I should've asked this to begin with, but...
  Jan

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: 68020 cache (Re: Msg 1777)
Date: 16-JUN 06:05 Programming Techniques

Jan,
I thought you DID ask that before (see nos. 1740 & 1742).  You load up the
register you are using (with the four lowest bits meaningful) and do a
MOVEC CACR,reg                      ; or MOVEC reg,CACR

The four lowest bits are:

3 - C  - Clear Cache - a write-only bit always read as a zero, to allow for a
                       context switch.
2 - CE - Clear Entry - independent of other cache functions, clear a single
                       cache entry located by bits 2-7 of the CAAR (cache
                       address register) whether or not there is one (sic).
1 - F  - Freeze Cache - leave the cache enabled, but freeze contents, useful
                        for emulators.
0 - E  - Enable Cache - This bit defaults to clear (always access external
                        memory) and must be set by the software.

Give Motorola a call, Jan. . . but only if you have an extra few spaces on
your bookshelves!  They are really pretty good about supplying books on their
products.

Laird

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: DiskFit (Re: Msg 20681)
Date: 14-JUN 20:58 Network Digests

>To: Richard Zaccone <ZACCONE%BUCKNELL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
>Subject: DiskFit

Do you have an old DataFrame?  Perhaps your ROM is so old the new DiskFit
software doesn't know about it.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: re: Callable Interfaces to a database (Re: Msg 20681)
Date: 14-JUN 21:01 Network Digests

>To: FRENCH%eg.ti.com@RELAY.CS.NET
>Subject: ?? Callable Interfaces to a database

While I don't think this is what you're looking for, the upcoming 4th
Dimension database from Acius is fully relational and supports external
procedures that you can write in Pascal, C, assembly, etc., and use in
the database.  It also has a Pascal-like, very extensive programming
(procedure) language of its own.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Sample horrid Mac program
Date: 15-JUN 08:50 Programming

If anyone would like to see an example of the most horrible way you can
program a Macintosh, get a copy of Lincoln-Mercury's Mac-format leasing
disk.  It's the purest example of bad Mac programming (i.e. IBM PC
programming for the Mac) I've seen in a long time, and I intend to keep
it as a reminder...

Anyone at Lincoln-Mercury listening?  You guys look pretty silly.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MORIMOTO
Subject: Course Builder
Date: 15-JUN 09:15 Programming

     Do you know the software named "Course builder"?  I wish to use it for the
education of Radiology education of radiology. Please let me know how can I get
it.
                           Kouji Morimoto M.D.  from Japan.

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Vision Technologies
Date: 15-JUN 19:17 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone used any of the Vision Technologies hard disks or RAM upgrades? Any
comments?

Thanks, Brian

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Vision Technologies (Re: Msg 20694)
Date: 15-JUN 20:07 Hardware & Peripherals

I used the Magic hard disk, and have written a review of it due to be
published in MacWorld.  I was singularly unimpressed, finding performance
to be far worse than any normal SCSI disk for the Mac.  I assume the
software driver is at fault, because it uses a generic Seagate ST225N if
I remember right.

The upgrades are Dove, I think, and the 1MB SIMMs should be ok.  I don't
know about upgrades for 512 or 128K Macs - I've heard of some difficulties
installing some of them.

Ric

------------------------------

From: JDSCHNITZER
Subject: Music S/W Print Capabilities
Date: 15-JUN 19:43 Creative Pursuits

I'm posting this for a friend:

Do any of the Mac music programs have line length editing capability?

Do any have the ability to "square off pages"?

Do any lack print capability entirely?  Any any too restictive?

He is particularly interest in DMCS and Professional Composer.

                                                                /Jeff

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: RE: Music S/W Print Capabilities (Re: Msg 20695)
Date: 16-JUN 00:00 Creative Pursuits

Composer is very powerful, but too expensive for the casual scorist.  Supposedly
in September (maybe October), Passport is supposed to release a software program
called "Score!" (as I remember) simultaneously for the Mac and PC that will be
also akin to Music DeskTop Publishing quality software.

Bill Synthony Music

------------------------------

From: DONBYRD
Date: 16-JUN 06:57 Creative Pursuits

By "line length editing capability", do you mean which measures go on a line, or
how many inches long a line (system) is? If the former, DMCS and Prof. Composer
can both do it, though somewhat awkwardly; if the latter, DMCS can, though
specified in pixels, but (I think) Composer can't.

By "square off pages", do you mean fill the last page? If so, you can get DMCS
and Composer to do it, but it's a real pain with lots of trial and error.

In my opinion, EVERY music printing program, for the Mac and every other
computer, is too restrictive...that's why I'm developing my own, "Nightingale".
If you can wait, you might check it out.  It'll do PostScript printing on a
LaserWriter etc., like the new DMCS, and do the things you asked for and a LOT
more much better than anything you can get now.  No more information available
yet, but in a few months. Mail me and I'll put you on my mailing list.

Don Byrd Advanced Music Notation Systems 12 Concord Maynard, MA. 01754 or
(obviously) DONBYRD here.

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: 2 sided drive /xl
Date: 15-JUN 23:55 Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone had any sucess in putting a double sided drive on the MAC XL. I would
sure like to know if there is hardware and software to to support it. Bill
Taylor SYSOP FMBBS 803-548-0900

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: MacWEEK aquires MacInTouch
Date: 16-JUN 17:57 Business Mac

MacWEEK acquires "MacInTouch" newsletter; opens Boston news
bureau

    SAN FRANCISCO-- MacWEEK, the workstation newsweekly, has
acquired "MacInTouch," a newsletter published by Ford-LePage,
Inc. of Framingham, Mass.
    "MacInTouch" co-founders and editors Ric Ford, 31, and
Rick LePage, 28, will head up MacWEEK's Boston news bureau as
technical editor and senior editor, respectively.
    Ric Ford, a former systems programmer and systems manager
at IBM and GTE Laboratories, has been writing, editing and
publishing "MacInTouch" since 1985.  He has also written an
industry-watch column for "Nibble Mac" magazine as well as
Macintosh product reviews for other computer publications.
        Rick LePage, most recently applications manager at CW
Communications, has served as managing editor of the
"Computerworld Buyer's Guide" series.  Like Ford, he has
written reviews for several computer magazines.
    "The addition of the highly respected Ford and LePage team
reinforces MacWEEK's commitment to provide Macintosh reporting
of the highest caliber," said publisher Michael Tchong.
"MacWEEK has scored a major coup by hiring Ford and LePage."
    Within the last few weeks, Dan Ruby, 34, a former "PC
Week" editor, joined the magazine as executive editor.  Jim
Beaver, 38, a business reporter with the "Contra Costa Times"
has been appointed staff reporter.
    MacWEEK, which is based in San Francisco, is a subsidiary
of Patch Communications of Titusville, Fla.  MacWEEK's
temporary Boston bureau address is P.O. Box 786, Framingham, MA
01701.  Ford and LePage can be reached at 617/661-8609.

   CONTACT:     MacWEEK, San Francisco
            Cynthia L. Ahart, 415/882-7370

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: MacWEEK aquires MacInTouch (Re: Msg 20719)
Date: 16-JUN 17:58 Business Mac

   "MacInTouch" newsletter acquired by MacWEEK

    BOSTON--"MacInTouch," a monthly newsletter for professional users
of the Macintosh published by Ford-LePage, Inc. has been acquired by
"MacWEEK" magazine.
    The newsletter will be discontinued, and current subscribers will
receive subscriptions to MacWEEK.  MacInTouch editors Ric Ford and Rick
LePage will join MacWEEK as technical editor and senior editor,
respectively, establishing a MacWEEK news bureau in Boston.
    "MacWEEK has the resources to provide fresh, high-quality Macintosh
news and analysis on a weekly basis," said Ford.  "We're working with
MacWEEK to build an information team that will provide objective,
timely analysis of Macintosh technology and business."
    "With the Macintosh market heating up, business users now have an
even greater need for up-to-the minute information," LePage said.  "We
believe that MacWEEK has made a strong commitment to providing the same
type of in-depth reporting and analysis that MacInTouch offered."
    Ford and LePage can be reached at MacWEEK's temporary Boston bureau
office:  P.O. Box 786, Framingham,  MA 01701.  MacWEEK's main offices
are at 525 Brannan St., San Francisco, CA  94107.  The phone number is
415-882-7370.

    CONTACT:  MacWEEK, Boston
              Ric Ford, 617-661-8609

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: /gs keyboard for SE (Re: Msg 20449)
Date: 16-JUN 18:03 Hardware & Peripherals

I find that I cannot type as fast on the SE keyboard as I can on the Mac Plus,
Mac 512, or Tangent keyboards.  I'm not sure where the problem lies, but
it's pretty definite.  Jan Eugenides (ASMCOR) let me take a look at his
extended (Saratoga) keyboard on a Mac II.  It has the same feel as the SE
(Standard) keyboard, just a lot more keys.  (Good luck getting it into a
Mac sack.)

Ric

End of Delphi Mac Digest