[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #104

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (06/19/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 18 Jun 1987     Volume 5 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:
                       BitMaps on the LaserWriter
                    Problem with System 4.1 (MDEF 0)
                           CRT phosphor decay
                               Super Mouse
                      RE: Juggler and other things.
                   Ramdisks and Switcher 5.1 on Mac II
                                  Fonts
                   V5 #103 Possible answers to queries
                        Re: Laserwriter 4.0 bugs?
                       LaserWriter 4.0 & 14" paper
               Re: LW bugs, more on juggler (IM  V5 #103)
             Causes of software Incompatibility with 68020s
                         Memory Upgrade for 512e
                       new Apple software updates
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #44
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #45
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #32

Date: Wed 17 Jun 87 14:07:59-PDT
From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: BitMaps on the LaserWriter

I have written a program that creates a Quickdraw picture consisting of
a matrix of CopyBits.  Each CopyBits is 1Kbyte long (so as to be "polite"
for other applications, ref. the 3.5K byte limit), corresponding to
a 64x128 bit area.  The entire matrix is surrounded by a rectangle,
to frame the picture.  The rectangles for some of these pictures can
be as large as 2000x10000 bits.

Now suppose I create such a picture and it is 640x1280, so that there
is one picture with 100 (10x10) CopyBits "commands" in it.  I can
draw this picture to a rectangle of 160x320 (i.e., 1/4 of the size),
and display it on the screen. I use srcOr to do each CopyBits.  Every
4x4 block of pixels of my original picture maps
to 1 pixel on the Mac screen. Note that each of the CopyBits "commands"
in the original picture has retained its original detail (see Tech Note
21 - the source rect and dest rect are stored as are all the bits).
If any one of the 16 pixels in the 4x4 block is black,
then the 1 pixel on the Mac screen is black.  If my program writes this
picture out to the scrap, and I read it into MacWrite (or TeXtures),
and print it on the LaserWriter (version 4.0) from MacWrite (or TeXtures),
turning off the Page Setup options of "Faster BitMap printing", "Smoothing"
and "Font Substitution", and turning on the new option for the 4% reduction,
I get a great picture.  Each 4x4 block of pixels mentioned above corresponds
to exactly a 4x4 block of dots on the LaserWriter, and I get the exact detail
of my picture.

Now suppose I want to reduce by a factor of 8, instead of by 4.  Now I
draw the 640x1280 picture into a rectangle of size 80x160.
Each 8x8 block of my picture maps to 1 pixel on the Mac
screen.  If 1 pixel is on in the 8x8 block, then the corresponding pixel
is black on the screen.  But if I print it on the LaserWriter (same options
as above), I lose some of the detail (as expected), but things are worse
than expected.  Here each 2x2 block of my original picture gets mapped to
one pixel on the LaserWriter.  However, it seems that if exactly one
of the bits in that 2x2 block is set, then the pixel on the LaserWriter
is not on.  This is not good for my application.  I need to have
"what you see is what you get", so that the 4 bits of the 2x2 block are
OR'ed together to get the one bit for the LaserWriter.

Does anyone know what's going on here?
Is this a bug or a "feature"?  Is the problem in the LaserWriter
4.0 driver or in the way Postscript works on the LaserWriter?

Please respond by June 22 - I will be out of town (and away from info-mac,
sadly enough) for a month after that date.

 Irv Lustig                    or.lustig@sierra.stanford.edu
Dept. of Operations Research
Stanford University

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 87 23:26:08 GMT
From: Dolf Starreveld <mcvax!uva!dolf@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Problem with System 4.1 (MDEF 0)

Since I installed System 4.1, my code implementing popup menus (just like
the Popup 1.0 da) ceased to work. Popup 1.0 has the same problems that I
experience. I already had something strings when implementing this under
System 3.2, but the could be fixed. First let me describe the two problems:
1) Under system 3.2, when I called de default MDEF 0 proc to draw a specific
   menu, it never appeard inside the "menuRect" I gave it as argument.
   The menu was drawn at the correct horizontal position, but was always
   drawn just below the menu bar (the normal position). The value I placed
   in "menuRect.top" just was ignored. This could be fixed by fooling the
   system. Just before calling the MDEF 0, I put the same value as I
   put in "menuRect.top" in the low-memory global "MBarHeight". This worked.

   It seems to me that this is a bug in that MDEF 0, because it says so in
   IM I-363:
        The message mDrawMes tells the menu definition procedure to draw
        the menu *inside* the menuRect.
   IM IV does mention some change to the MDEF, but nothing about this!

2) Since system 4.1 the trick above does no longer work. When I leave the
   clipping out when calling the MDEF to draw the menu, I see it always
   being drawn just below the menu bar. When I clip to the menuRect before
   calling the MDEF, it is drawn partially within the mRect, but scrolling
   often operates incorrectly. You can try this with Popup 1.0.
   Also, it seems that once the menu has moved down due to scrolling, the
   next time I call the MDEF to draw it, it will not be drawn just below the
   menu bar, but at the vertical position it was last drawn.

Any comments ?
Perhaps someone at apple can comment on this (Larry perhaps?).
Am I doing something wrong with calling the MDEF?
Is there a way to get around these problems (bugs?).

Dolf Starreveld  Phone: (Holland=31) 020-592 2054/5022, TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@uva.uucp   {seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!uva!dolf
SNAIL:           Dept. of Computing Science, University of Amsterdam,
                 Kruislaan 409, NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 87 18:44 EDT
From: Le Corbusier  <PINCINCE%MITWCCF.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CRT phosphor decay

Can anyone tell me the phosphor decay rate for the MacPlus CRT.  What I
mean is how long does the trace remain on the screen after an image is
erased?  This question has direct bearing on visual psycho-physics
experiments run on the Mac.  Apple Tech support did not have an answer,
but I did find out that the phosphor is P4(aluminized).

Thanks (mail to me directly)

Tom Pincince
Dept Brain and Cognitive Sciences
MIT

PINCINCE@MITWCCF.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Jun 1987 12:29 CDT
From: N. Gokhale <MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Super Mouse

Has anyone figured out how to use Control Panel 3.x with System 3.2?
I copied the DA and INIT #30 from System 4.0 into the older system.
Then I put the "Mouse" file in the System Folder.  However, when I
rebooted I found no difference in the mouse speed.  I set the speed to
"fastest" which results in an error message: "Can't find the resource"
I'm not sure what it was referring to, anyone else have ideas?

bitnet   MMAR013@ECNCDC
internet MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp     [wanginst!decvax!cbosgd!] psuvax1!ECNCDC.BITNET!MMAR013

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 09:03 CDT
From: Dan Stewart <STEWART_SYS%uta.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE: Juggler and other things.

So, if the copies of Juggler are illegal, when will Apple be releasing a
stable version of it???  In what capacity does it support background
tasking?  I finally had my main need for background tasking (at this time)
satisfied, and that's for downloading from public and commercial BBS
services.  In case anyone has not heard of it, there's a DA called BackDown
that allows you to start a download, then go on and run other applications
while it continues.  It then rings the bell and flashes the menu bar when it
completes.  I ran across it on Genie.
  By the way, it uses Xmodem protocol.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find a list of System and
compatible Finder versions, and what machines they will run on (or should
not run on).  Does Apple plan to have a version of System and Finder for
ALL Macintosh machines, or will the newer releases apply only to the newer
machines?  I've barely had my MacPlus for a year and I don't want to see it
become obsolete before I've even had a chance to experience a power supply
failure...

Dan Stewart
STEWART_SYS@UTA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 01:30:54 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: Ramdisks and Switcher 5.1 on Mac II

Well, now that the euphoria of getting a Mac II has worn off, I'm
trying to figure out how to use the memory on it to the fullest.
Problem is, traditional RAMDISKS such as RAMSTART 2.0 don't work.
Neither it seems, does Switcher 5.1.  Yes, Switcher does load ok,
but promptly blows up after loading an application or two.

The RAM Cache works as usual, but on a Mac II produces a noticeable
speedup only after considerable useage.

Yes, add one extra little "problem" to previous Mac II reports: the
parameter RAM.  The Mac II has considerably more parameter RAM than
a Mac SE or +, and so that's that much more parameter RAM to get
munged by a dying program.  The other day, the parameter RAM was
munged so that I couldn't boot off a hard drive.  After a half an
hour of scratching my head, I figured it out and reset the parameter
RAM by holding down clover leaf-option-shift and selecting
control panel from the apple menu.  This leads to some interesting
possibilities: munging the parameter RAM so that your mouse won't
work.  Then you'd have to use EASY ACCESS to reset the parameter RAM,
I guess.  Could be fun...

Cricket Draw V1.0 doesn't run on the Mac II it seems, by the way.
It puts up an error message "Must have 128K ROMS."  SuperPaint,
MacPaint, and FullPaint only run correctly with gray levels set to
2 (just B&W).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 87 11:17:04 GMT
From: Paul Skuce
From: <ucbcad!ames!seismo!mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comt-ps@ucbvax.Berkeley
From: .EDU>
Subject: Fonts

Can any one help me to find a font called Futura. All Our dealers I've
talked to in the UK have not been able to help. We would prefer to have a
font that we can download into the LazerWriut an ImageWriter version would
do. Please send any infomation you have to me. (dealers name, cost etc)
  Thanks in advance
    Paul Skuce
    Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
    College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
        comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
        comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%..         From Eur
        comt-ps@hatfield.ac.uk                  JANET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 09:36 EDT
From: Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: V5 #103 Possible answers to queries

Re:  Problems with manual feed of legal pager on LW+

I think the answer is that you have to insert a legal paper tray in
order to do legal manual feed?  I certainly had problems with the
reverse (putting normal 8.5 x 11 paper into a legal tray).  Stuff would
come out at the wrong spot, in the opposite direction.

Re:  grey line sweeping down Mac+ screen.

The only time I've had that trouble is when another terminal (Ann Arbor
Ambassador, in my case) or computer was sitting right next to the Mac.
Seems that the monitors interfere with other.

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 09:31:15 PDT
From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: Re: Laserwriter 4.0 bugs?

> HOWEVER, I seem to have found a couple of bugs, and wondered if anyone else
> had noticed them.

> When the LaserWriter ran out of paper, pages were lost, as if the driver kept
> sending the data, thinking it was being printed.

I haven't seen that one.  The problem I've seen was that FileMaker+ wouldn't
initialize the printer properly, and the first print jobs would bomb out (and
occasionally take the Mac with it -- similar to the problem you're seeing).

I think I found the problem last night.  There are lots of changes to the
Laserwriter driver, and a bunch of new options.  Until last night, I'd NEVER
gone into "Page Setup" since I installed LaserWriter 4.0. I was reading the
README on the new Finder system disk, and it mentioned the new features, so
I went and checked them out (try printing a few pages white-on-black, just
for kicks.....). After that, my filemaker+ problems went away completely,
even after rebooting the Mac and power cycling the LW+.

So it looks to me like there was something that wasn't initialized in the
driver.  Now, it is common sense that when you install a new piece of software,
you make sure that it is initialized and the defaults are right -- I didn't,
and I got burnt here, it seems.  But this is a good reminder for folks.  When
you install a new printer driver, make sure you go through both Chooser and
Page Setup to make sure things are set up right.

What I find interesting, though, is that MOST programs work fine with the
LW4.0 -- it was only filemaker+ that had problems with some uninitialized
thingie.

chuq

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 11:20:56 EDT
From: ANDERSEN <sigurd@vax1.acs.udel.edu>
Subject: LaserWriter 4.0 & 14" paper

We had the same problem of legal-size (14") documents being printed so
that the first inch or two of printing ran off the leading edge of the
page.  In our case, it showed up with MacWrite.  By trial and error, I
found that I could solve the problem by:  - go to File menu;  - choose
Page Setup...;  - click on Options;  - set option Larger Print Area.
After that, the page printed with no problem.

We're using LaserWriter 4.0, LaserPrep 4.0, System 4.1 and Finder 5.5.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 14:40:55 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: LW bugs, more on juggler (IM  V5 #103)

In article <8706170733.AA16935@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>Subject: LaserWriter 4.0 bugs?

>When the LaserWriter ran out of paper, pages were lost, as if the driver kept
>sending the data, thinking it was being printed.  By the time I replenished

Tech Note #123 talks about LaserWriter bugs, and this is one of them.  The
bug is in the LaserWriter ROMs.

If the user prints a document that causes the paper tray to become empty, a
PostScript error may occur.  When such an error occurs, the Print Manager
displays the message, but it is very easy to miss it.

>Subject: Problems with manual feed of legal pager on LW+

>I've been frustrated attempting to print legal size copies
>using manual feed with LaserWriter Plus and Laser Prep version 4.0,
>System 4.1 and Finder 5.5

Another LaserWriter ROM bug.  The LaserWriter is looking at the size of the
paper tray to decide how to position the image on the page and is ignoring
the LaserWriter driver's instructions.  If you put in a legal size paper
tray, then it would work.

>Subject: more on Juggler 1.0d1

>After a recent posting I made regarding a pre-release copy of the Juggler
>package that our user's group had downloaded from a prominent bulletin
>board service, I received a polite statement from Apple Computer informing
>me that the copies of Juggler we have are ILLEGAL.

>This somewhat surprised me, since I'm used to Apple releasing beta software
>to the public for testing.  Remember Switcher 2.0?

As far as I know, Switcher was the only instance of prerelease software
released by Apple.  (It's been a long time, but I don't remember that
prerelase versions of MacWriter were officially distributed.)  Any other
prerelease software you may have seen was distributed illegally.

Unless there is a statement to the contrary, people should not assume that
it is OK to upload and distribute prerelease software.  (My experience,
however, is that people assume that it is OK to distribute this software
unless told otherwise.)

Also, people should realize that system software (such as the Finder,
System, etc.) is not supposed to be uploaded to BBS's.  It is possible for a
SYSOP to license this software from Apple and make it available for
downloading.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 87 21:51:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Causes of software Incompatibility with 68020s

I have been running for about 3 weeks now with a Novy Systems 68020 upgrade
in my Mac+. I have gotten some experience about causes of software
problems with the 020, so I thought I would pass them along. Main sources
of trouble are:

1. Use of F traps. This is why Macwrite doesn't work (except with a
patch). Use of F traps isn't real common, so this is not often a problem.

2. Self-modifying code. This is often a problem. I haven't tried them, but
I am told by a Mac II user that Lightspeed C and Pascal use self-modifying
code and won't run on the II. Fortran still has problems with the
PostEvent Toolbox call for the same reason.

3. Software timing loops. This is probably what has caused me the most
trouble. Many SCSI drivers have software timing loops, because they must
do timing at a resolution that is small compared to the Mac's basic unit
of a "tic". Hence, software loops. This also causes Copy II Mac to fail in
bit copy mode; it uses a software loop to time writing out the bits.

The trouble here is that the software timing loops are often essential,
given the relatively coarse resolution of the Mac's clock. HOWEVER, these
should all interogate the hardware they are running on to calibrate the
loops.

At any rate, my experience so far is that the problems with software
compatibility with the 68020 are vastly exagerrated. Most of the stuff
works just fine. I have had far fewer problems with the 68020 than I did
during the dreadful MFS>HFS conversion.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 15:53+0100
From: Ralph <MartinRR%cardiff.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: Memory Upgrade for 512e

I would like to increase the memory on my 512e to 1Mbyte, or even
2Mbyte, but I would rather do it myself than pay for a commercial piece
of hardware.  Is there anyone out there who will tell me how to do this
- does one just unsolder the memory chips and put higher capacity ones
in, changing some jumpers - or do you have to build an add on board ?
If anyone could supply me with the details, I'd be really grateful!

Ralph

[
here is a chance to remind people of a detailed report on just such an
operation posted by Carl Madson <MADSON@KL.SRI.COM>

The file is archived as
REPORT-HOMEBREWED-2M-UPGRADE.TXT

(Thanks Carl).

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 87 10:47 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: new Apple software updates

The latest Apple mailing announces the new versions of software that we've
all been waiting for.  These updates will be shipped to dealers and corporate
accounts sometime after July 15.

All programs have been modified to work under AppleShare (including multiple
launch), and all have been modified to work with ALL Macintoshes.

Here's what will be released:

MacProject 1.2:  Now supports color; several minor bugfixes.

MacWrite 4.6:  Supports arrow keys; rulers are accurate on LaserWriter.

MacTerminal 2.2:  bugs with IBM 3278 emulation corrected; several other minor
changes.

MacDraw 1.9.5:  Here's the biggy.  Now correctly supports up to 54 fonts;
has a cancel button for printing; documents saved as PICT under existing
names will be saved properly; allows accurate object placement.

That's all I can remember from the top of my head (I don't have the mailing
in front of me right now).

Note some rather surprising hints of things to come.  The most obvious
ommision is MacPaint (which only works in 2-color mode on the MacII).  Also
note that with such major changes, MacDraw's version number only changes to
1.9.5!  My guess is that both MacPaint and MacDraw are being rewritten for
full color support (notice MacProject is the only release that supports
color now).  Several months ago when Ron Hochsprung (head of MacII hardware
development) visited Drexel University's MacFair, he indicated that the new
MacDraw would more closely resemble MacDraft.  He was using a version of
MacDraw that supported color.  The version of MacPaint he showed us also
supported color, and opened multiple documents, similar to FullPaint.

Paul Christensen
CSNET: PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 87 08:53 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #44

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, June 15, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 44

Today's Topics:
     VersaTerm Questions
     Info wanted on HP's LaserJet II
     MacScheme
     Boston Computer Society
     Tidbit Post Again
     Questions about file sharing
     Review: Programmer's Online Companion
     MacInTouch
     Sys 4.1; hacking Installer scripts for use with floppy systems
     TeXtures and the Mac II ??
     obtaining the full pathname of a file
     Re: Debugging and Lightspeed C
     Appletalk for ][e, file sharing program a la MacShare
     Re: Public domain Postscript fonts?
     Low Memory Globals - VERBOTEN (sic)
     Re: MacInTouch
     Re: obtaining the full pathname of a file
     Re: Sys 4.1; hacking Installer scripts for use with floppy systems
     Re: Review: Programmer's Online Companion
     A Trivial Suggestion
     Sound Driver problems with 64K Roms?
     Re: Questions about file sharing
     Graying Out Text Items
     Followup on Jasmine hard disks

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-44.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 87 08:54 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #45

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, June 15, 1987          Volume 3 : Issue 45

Today's Topics:
     Macintosh Dhrystones
     Re: Graying Out Text Items
     ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
     Re: obtaining the full pathname of a file
     Re: Tidbit Post Again
     Re: obtaining the full pathname of a file (3 messages)
     speed, disks, and cache (it is good for something)...
     Re: Charging for laser printer use
     Working with Laser Writer Plus Ports: Can both be used simultaneously?
     Re: TeXtures and the Mac II ?? + Question on LaTeX wysiwyg systems.
     Re: Macintosh Dhrystones
     Re: ATTENTION ALL MICRO USERS!!! FCC INFORMATION TAX AHEAD!!
     Re: MacScheme
     DMCS and Professional Composer Query
     Re: Working with Laser Writer Plus Ports: Can both be used simultaneously?
     Music software summary
     Solving partial differential equations
     Smalltalk on the Mac SE
     AppleShare Help Required
     Finding out if there are no windows on the screen
     Greyed-out text on Mac II

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-45.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 87 08:45 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #32

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, June 17, 1987       Volume 3 : Issue 32

Today's Topics:
     Looking for Scanner (2 messages)
     Smart Alarms on Mac II
     RE: Hello --
     4d report by Linda (3 messages)
     RE Catching all keyDown events in a DA
     RE: demo of SuitCase and PowerStation
     re:  Poison Folders
     New System files
     Strange Behavior
     Cache
     RE: 68020 cache
     DiskFit
     re: Callable Interfaces to a database
     Sample horrid Mac program
     Course Builder
     Vision Technologies (2 messages)
     Music S/W Print Capabilities (3 messages)
     2 sided drive /xl
     MacWEEK aquires MacInTouch (2 messages)
     /gs keyboard for SE

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-32.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest