[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #33

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (07/02/87)

Delphi Mac Digest     Thursday, July 2, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
     CMS PRO-40-SE/i (6 messages)
     TOPS Network ( Good or Bad News ? ) (2 messages)
     Mac II Utilities
     Mac II windows (2 messages)
     CloseOrnHook (4 messages)
     Dvorak & Sys 4.1/5.5
     Ahh Color..
     debugging as art (2 messages)
     Mac II Err 28 (2 messages)
     INITs (2 messages)
     Mac II Serial Port (3 messages)
     Software needs (2 messages)
     SOFTSOFTWARE INQUIRY (2 messages)
     Video on Mac II (3 messages)
     Datadesk mac101
     SE internal 20 address
     quiet SCSI drives (2 messages)
     Debugging in C
     re: Spell checkers for Mac
     Re: ChemDraw et al
     Re: Sailing and Basic
     Jump!Board020 (3 messages)
     Excel Array/Macro Question
     Formatting XL/HFS (2 messages)
     Centering on Big Screens (2 messages)
     ListMgr and Changing Fonts Question (2 messages)

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: CMS PRO-40-SE/i
Date: 18-JUN 00:14 Hardware & Peripherals

I just put my first third-party hard disk in a Mac SE.  It was the
38.5MB unit from CMS.  Aside from the warnings posted earlier about the
Mac power cable and CRT/circuit board, you now have to be careful not to
drop a Phillips screw into the floppy drive when you're trying to attach
or detach the hard disk unit...

The CMS has a nice software utility and a good manual, but check out the
DiskTimer II figures: 209,210,78.  Similarly, my file duplication test
gives 23 sec. (vs. 9 for the SE 20MB internal).  At least it's real
quiet and has an access light.  Jumpers on the drive let you pick the
SCSI address.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: CMS PRO-40-SE/i (Re: Msg 20742)
Date: 18-JUN 00:28 Hardware & Peripherals

Some related notes:  I find no voltage adjustment for the SE power
supply, and this power supply looks much different from the one in the
first SE I opened.  This one is gray metal with no Sony labels and has
holes for ventilation.  There is also no mention of whether it's a
universal power supply or not (for overseas) on any label I can see.

Also, this SE has some definite video problems.  I was seeing "waves" in
the video before I removed the HyperCharger 020.  Now the waves *may* be
gone, but the whole image is jumping.  The problem has been
inconsistent, varying with time (maybe it's my AC power?), but there's
somethin' wrong here.  NETMAN has also been having problems with his
SE's video.

Ric

------------------------------

From: 9898STEVEM
Subject: RE: CMS PRO-40-SE/i (Re: Msg 20743)
Date: 18-JUN 01:56 Hardware & Peripherals

The MAC SE has two different power supply manufacturers. One is made by
SONY and the other is made by AZTEC.

I dont know which is which but can find out if you wish to know.

On a different note do you (or anyone else for that matter) know who
does WORM (Write Once, Read Many) drives for use with MAC...also prices.
I am fairly sure Lodown do one but have been unable to find any info on
this.

             Regards
                     Steve

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: CMS PRO-40-SE/i (Re: Msg 20745)
Date: 18-JUN 09:05 Hardware & Peripherals

Steve,
  LoDown does indeed do WORM drives for the Mac.  I think they're in the
$5000-8000 range, and I have no idea how good the quality or the
software is.  I've suggested an investigation at MacWEEK into WORM
drives, as it's a unique and attractive option for backup/archiving.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Date: 19-JUN 13:52 Hardware & Peripherals

I've talked with Charles and Jim from CMS (nice guys) and they've been
looking into the problem.  The bad access time seems to vary from drive
to drive, and vary from 18 to 60!  They also came up with a different
formatting procedure to try which is supposed to put the read/write
times down about 100.  (3:1 interleave using "Mac II" for driver
selection).  I'll give it a try and report back.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: CMS PRO-40-SE/i (Re: Msg 20757)
Date: 19-JUN 14:53 Hardware & Peripherals

Using all "Mac II" selections and reformatting with a 3:1 interleave, I
get 98, 98, 60 on the CMS Pro40SE/i.  The file duplication test improved
from 23 sec. to 13.5 (9 sec. for Mac SE/20).  This isn't bad.  The disk
lists for $1395 and it will have a good manual when they fix the jumper
chart (you can select SCSI address by jumpers).  It uses a Conner drive
with an embedded controller.

Ric

------------------------------

From: TFGEARY
Subject: TOPS Network ( Good or Bad News ? )
Date: 19-JUN 00:47 Hardware & Peripherals

     I would be interested in any comments about the TOPS Network, good
ro bad. Please relate any experiances which you have had; user,
installer or manager alike.  Iam int 'm interested in purchasing this
system for the following reasons:  File sharing between my Mac and Pc,
Peripheral sharing between said computers and lastly using the hard disk
on my Pc as afiel server for the Mac. I'm looking forward to rea ding
any replys. Thanks...

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: TOPS Network ( Good or Bad News ? ) (Re: Msg 20750)
Date: 19-JUN 13:54 Hardware & Peripherals

I really like the TOPS network, especially as a way to share files
between the PC and the Mac.  A new version, 2.0, is due out soon.  One
thing to remember, though, is that using and AppleTalk file server, your
performance is only as good as floppies at best.  So, many times,
floppies may *be* better than a file server.   TOPS 2.0 is supposed to
provide enhanced peripheral sharing (sharing ImageWriter printers).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: LAMD
Subject: Mac II Utilities
Date: 20-JUN 04:11 Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone know of a good screen blanker for the Mac II? I tried "Macsbug"
today and it froze on boot. Also, anybody know if there's a version of
Fkey Installer that works on the II? Running version 1.7 resulted in a
message "I need the new ROMs to run"!   -Franklin

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Mac II windows
Date: 21-JUN 05:13 Bugs & Features

Anyone noticed that there's a bug in the Mac II ROMs?  In WDEF 0, as a
matter of fact.  That's right, standard document windows aren't drawn
the same way on the II as on the +.  On the + (and earlier machines),
the shadow is offset by one pixel. On the II, the shadow is
unaesthetically not offset, but just makes the bottom and right borders
one pixel thicker.  Yuck.  I'm going to have to remember to make screen
dumps on a Plus.  Luckily, menu shadows are still offset by two pixels
on the II.  (Someone will have to tell me how it works on an SE.)

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: Mac II windows (Re: Msg 20794)
Date: 22-JUN 23:26 Bugs & Features

Holy cow!  Is this window drop shadow stuff really a bug or a feature?
Now that you have brought it to my attention, it's really annoying!!!  I
really hope its not some sick CQD optimization.  I will check out the
WDEF on an SE tomorrow.

Have you noticed that _GrowWindow causes a window refresh even if you
did not change the size of the window.  I've only been able to observe
this on the Mac II (production model).  Also very annoying.  If anyone
has a clue about this buggy behavior, please share it with the rest of
us.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: PLAMONDON
Subject: CloseOrnHook
Date: 20-JUN 16:06 Programming Techniques

Gentlepersons,

I am new to your SIG, and hope to become part of it.  Having read your
messages of the (whoops) messages of the past, I'll try posting one of
my own.  Please help me out if you can.

I have read in MacTutor about a system global called CloseOrnHook that
may be used to supply a custom closing routine for multiple-window DA's.
Unfortunately, I do not yet have IM 5, and I do not know whether this
(rather elegant) kludge will be supported on Mac SE's, II's, etc..  As I
am just now beginning to develop the DA, I would hope to get this
straight before I'm too far into it.

Also, "Professor Mac" (BRECHER) mentioned in passing that DRVR DA's were
considered to be an endangered species, due to expected compatibility
problems. Does MPW's DRVW have a better outlook?  What's the deal,
Lucille?

Lastly, I am also having a problem in Manx's Aztec C (1.06h, Mac 512e,
floppy). When running under the Manx shell, all my calls to NewHandle()
return NULL, and post an Out Of Memory error (-108) (accessed via
MemErr()).  I am not using a RAM disk (in this case), and have oodles of
memory just lying around. Manx tech support hasn't been very supportive
(yet).  Any suggestions?

I suppose I should have made these into three separate messages, to
support three separate threads.  See?  Learning already!

Thanks, folks!

James Plamondon Reference Software Development

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: CloseOrnHook (Re: Msg 1782)
Date: 21-JUN 16:46 Programming Techniques

CloseOrnHook is only needed on the 64K ROMs.  You should test for 128K
ROM or newer, and in that case return a close error if someone tries to
close you and you still have more windows open.  (I haven't done this
myself, or used the CloseOrnHook method, or I'd be a littel more
specific.)  The reason that CloseOrnHook is needed is that the 64K ROMs
don't check for an error return during close.

On the -108 error, try opening DiskInfo DA and look to see how much
memory it thinks is there.  Also check your calls to NewHandle to make
sure you are passing a longword, and that it has in it what you think it
should.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 22-JUN 21:16 Programming Techniques

CloseOrnHook seems to work exactly the same on my II.

I wouldn't start any major programming effort in a DA (DRVW is just a
kludge because MPW is stupid, as far as I can tell).

I assume your calls to NewHandle are passing a longword size?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: CloseOrnHook (Re: Msg 1786)
Date: 24-JUN 00:45 Programming Techniques

I think you misunderstand CloseOrnHook...it's a vector for a routine to
be called when you click in the close box of a DA...a common use is to
allow for a Cancel to the close.

------------------------------

From: VARIPAPA
Subject: Dvorak & Sys 4.1/5.5
Date: 22-JUN 20:41 Business Mac

Does anyone know how to change the keyboard to Dvorak layout using
4.1/5.5 ?

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Ahh Color..
Date: 23-JUN 20:07 Business Mac

Well haven't found a Mac II topic so I'll have to put it here.  Got the
Color Sony CPD-1302 today and boy it's a hot baby.  Smooth colors, etc.
etc.  It's same one Apple uses and came with the cable for the Mac II,
direct from BusinessLand and B.Land has em in stock!  Oh boy!

What else?  Hmmm, oh yeah, those chips #s if you can find a NEC
distributor...

NEC D41264C - 15 or - 12

the - 12 means 120 nanosecs, as opposed to 150 with the - 15.  Both work
I'm told and can be bought for about 8 - $10 a chip, which is about half
of what apple is charging.  You need eight of them and can be plugged
directly into the card.  Beware, they're very sensative to static so
think discharge.

That's it.

Wachs Natural Intelligence Consulting

------------------------------

From: STANKRUTE
Subject: debugging as art
Date: 21-JUN 12:11 Programming Techniques

I'm back here as an itinerant worker in the valley. Putting together
some documentation for Jasik's The Debugger. Right now I'm doing a
section called the Art Of Debugging, and am shamelessly scrounging for
people's favorite two or three vital Macintosh debugging hints/
clues/techniques/nostrums. Anyone got any to share ?  For example:
Weston says to look at registers often. Brothers mentioned that careful
coders like himself never have to debug (much). Me, I say scramble and
examine your heap well and often. Looking forward to yer insights, group
... Seeker Of Good Tricks Stan

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: debugging as art (Re: Msg 1785)
Date: 21-JUN 16:48 Programming Techniques

I'll go along with Brothers .... half the secret of debugging is desk
checking. However, I have notices that on the Mac, even desk checking
doesn't always help as much as I'd like.  There are lots of ways to mess
up.

Here's some advice:  Always check return codes for errors (especially
the memory manager and resource manager calls).

peter

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Mac II Err 28
Date: 21-JUN 17:42 Programming Techniques

While porting and adding color to my communications program to te Mac II
I got a system error ID 28 (Stack runs into heap) from the same code
that runs ok the Mac+ (Code is from LSP or MPW 2.B1 - same results).
There are now low level tricks... Any idea?

Uwe

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: Mac II Err 28 (Re: Msg 1788)
Date: 22-JUN 18:04 Programming Techniques

The error disappeared when I used NewCDialog for a the central modless
dialog. Why? Perhaps it uses some UserItems?

Uwe

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: INITs
Date: 21-JUN 22:13 Programming Techniques

Dave-
  where's the best place to look for info on the INIT environment? It
becomes rapidly clear that not all the managers are available at INIT
time. What is, what isn't, that kind of thing? Thanks.
 Jan

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 1789)
Date: 22-JUN 23:20 Programming Techniques

I've done a couple of INITs and its clear that not all toolbox
facilities are available at INIT31 time.  The standard document is Tech
Note 14.  I don't know of a definative source of info; I usually just
assume everything is there. Crashing at INIT31 time is particulary
annoying because I ususally kill the _UnMountVol in the Restart code.
Life should be better with the new TMON (see below).

Myself and Darin Adler (TMON EUA fame) of ICOM has developed a small
piece of code (ShowINIT) to put icons onto the screen at INIT31 time.
The latest ScrapSaver incorporates this code to show your clipboard has
been read.  A new TMON is promised to include a INIT31 loader which also
uses this facility. ShowINIT is in the public domain.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: Mac II Serial Port
Date: 22-JUN 19:21 Programming Techniques

I have a program that interface a 3 space tracker (basically a 3
dimentional digitizer) to a mac+ which will only run on the mac II if
you use port B. According to the mac II pinouts pin 7 on the II is
carrier detect.  do i need to tie this pin to somethi ng to get the
cable to work on port A?  thanks jim

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: RE: Mac II Serial Port (Re: Msg 1792)
Date: 22-JUN 23:42 Programming Techniques

Jim-
 I can't get my modem to work off port A either, so maybe it's supposed
to be that way. Or, it's a bug.
 Jan

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: Mac II Serial Port (Re: Msg 1795)
Date: 23-JUN 19:52 Programming Techniques

Jan, after looking at the manual i think it needs to be tied high or low
somehow?? but what would i know about hardware ;-)  jim

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: Software needs
Date: 23-JUN 22:59 Programming

Hello.  I am looking for two pieces of software for the Mac Plus.  The
first is a Hebrew word processor that doesn't require typing everything
in backwards. The ability to switch to english would also be desirable.
Laser support would be nice.  Second, a reliable, straightforward Home
Budgeting software, capable of maintaining a checkbook and a small chart
of accounts. Thank you, --Gene

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: Software needs (Re: Msg 20866)
Date: 24-JUN 02:36 Programming

Offhand I can't think of the hebrew WP, although they exist. The Home
Budget software you seek is MacMoney. It's the only real choice.

------------------------------

From: FIZARD
Subject: SOFTSOFTWARE INQUIRY
Date: 24-JUN 10:15 Business Mac

HI GUYS I FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO GET A GRAPHIC SOFT WHICH IMPLEMENT A
FULL WORLDMAP REPRESENTATION. IT WOULD BE VERY INTERESTING FOR ME TO GET
A WAY TO PRINT EVERY COUNTRY OF THE WORLD UPON A MULTICRITERIA BASIS.
IEWHETHER PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFT OR USER SUPPORTED SOFT OR FULL CHARGE SOFT.
IN ADVANCE THANK YOU TO GIVE ME FURTHER INFORMATION. CHEERS FIZARD

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: SOFTSOFTWARE INQUIRY (Re: Msg 20872)
Date: 24-JUN 16:53 Business Mac

Does it need to be databased format?  In other words, click on a
country, get the info...

Something like FileVision rings a bell (non-PD) or maybe some of the
databases that are coming out soon.

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Video on Mac II
Date: 24-JUN 16:55 Macintosh II

Anyone know how to get a video tape of a Mac screen, or even out of the
Mac II video port?

thanks... Josh

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Video on Mac II (Re: Msg 20874)
Date: 24-JUN 18:47 Macintosh II

Yes, point a camera at it.  You may have some difficulty getting a
really good image of it.

Supposedly there is a way to convert Apple's Mac II color card to
produce NTSC video (at a lower resolution!), but the means for doing
this has not been revealed.  Perhaps it is a software settable switch
which is not clearly documented and possibly not supported by the
software.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: Video on Mac II (Re: Msg 20875)
Date: 24-JUN 19:53 Macintosh II

Peter, there is a bit to be set in the video card that will set it up to
be an RS170 Interlace.  Apple tech support is supposed to be working on
a program to configure it for me.  will ask if i can post it when i get
it.  jim

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG
Subject: Datadesk mac101
Date: 24-JUN 22:06 Hardware & Peripherals

I just received the Datadesk Mac101 keyboard, te one advertised by
datadesk with the word 3.0 upgrade. Only took trhee months because of
tweaking software to accomadate system 4.1. Now, they include a macro
file to use with word3.0 with function keys for help, indent and so
forth. When I invoke it in Word, some of the menu items start to
diasappear!!I think it's a Word problem. I can still get to the missing
menus by using the f14 key which invokes the ability to grab menus by
the keyboard, but cannot access the missing menu items by the mouse.
Anybody have any ideas?

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: SE internal 20 address
Date: 25-JUN 12:29 Hardware & Peripherals

Much to my surprise, I've discovered that it *is* possible to change the
address of the Mac SE internal SC20 hard disk.  All that's required is
to add jumpers to appropriate combinations of the 3 sets of jumper pins
located right next to where the ribbon cable connects to the
drive/controller. I put a jumper on the middle set and got an address of
2.  You see the address when you do a Get Info on the drive.  I haven't
reformatted the drive, but everything else seems to work OK.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: quiet SCSI drives
Date: 25-JUN 12:37 Network Digests

Regarding someone's inquiry about quiet SCSI drives for the Mac, I'm
also quite bothered by noise and I've looked at a lot of Mac disk
drives. I've found the ones using a Conner 3.5" drive to be quietest.
This includes HyperDrive FX/40 and FI/40, ProApp 40, and some others.
The new MacBottom isn't bad, but I find the Rodimes slightly more
irritating (perhaps they have a bit higher frequency noise).  The
DataFrame can be fairly quiet, especially if you remove the ground
"strap" (otherwise they can get loud from time to time).  My current
choices are the FX/40 and the DataFrame 40XP that I've used (samples can
vary).  This DataFrame has a loud seek noise, but that doesn't bother
me, now I'm used to it; I think the newest ones are different (this has
an NEC drive, I believe).  The ProApp was nice, but wasn't very fast.
The Rodime external was irritatingly noisy to my ears.  A set of 6
drives just tested in a Mac SE were all masked by the noise of the SE
fan.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: quiet SCSI drives (Re: Msg 20895)
Date: 25-JUN 12:41 Network Digests

Actually, I don't think a loud seek noise is a detriment at all.  I
don't mind knowing when my computer is working hard!  I *do* want it to
shut up when it has nothing better to do.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: Debugging in C
Date: 25-JUN 15:52 Programming

For longer than I can remember I have been looking for a nifty way to
compile printf calls conditionally into my C code so I could leave
debugging logic permanently in the source code.  The difficulty is that
printf uses a variable length argument list, but a C macro can only have
a fixed length argument list. Well, I finally figured out how to do it!

peter

----------------

#define DEBUG 1

----------------

#define DEBUG 1

/*
** Note carefully the usage of the D macro!  You code it like a
** multiple argument function call EXCEPT THAT a double layer of
** parentheses is used so that the macro processor thinks it is
** dealing with one argument.  Examples:
**    D(("Got to the right place\n"));
**    D(("Got to the wrong place with %s %d\n", str, err));
** Thus, the space between 'printf' and the 'a' below is significant
** and is used to cause the extra layer of parentheses to be used
** as the delimiters of the function call.
*/

#if DEBUG
#define D(a) printf a
#else
#define D(a)
#endif

main()
{
char *str;
short err;

str = "ERR MSG";
err = 23;

}

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Spell checkers for Mac (Re: Msg 20878)
Date: 25-JUN 21:20 Network Digests

 >From: mayer@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Warren Mayer)
 >Subject: Spell checkers for Mac

The people at Working Software (publishers of Spellswell) told me
they've added intelligent lookup.  Not sure if the new version is
available yet. The Thunder desk accessory has intelligent lookup of
suggestions.

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: Re: ChemDraw et al (Re: Msg 20878)
Date: 25-JUN 22:46 Network Digests

>To: walter@vub.UUCP (Walter Sonck)
>Re: ChemDraw et al

Hello.  I purchased Molecular Editor from the software division of
Kinko's Copies.  It was written at Drexel University and costs approx.
$30 plus shipping.  It is a 3-dimensional modeling program, although it
will draw a respectable 2-D. It is not as complete as ChemDraw, but the
price is right.  It will perform rotations of your molecule (slowly) and
by creating several frames, you can animate the rocking of your
molecule, if you want.  It comes with about 30 sample molecules,
including a bit of DNA, which is convenient for editing as a skeleton
for your molecule. It is easy to use, although the manual is a bit
sketchy.  It lacks many of the presentation-enhancing arrows and labels
of ChemDraw.  Good luck in your search.

--Gene

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: Re: Sailing and Basic  (Re: Msg 20878)
Date: 25-JUN 22:50 Network Digests

>To: walker@hpesoc1.HP.COM (Darrell Walker)
>Re: Sailing and Basic

Hello.  If you have the source code, it should be a relatively easy task
to convert the IBM version to Microsoft Basic for the Mac.  Graphics
could be a problem, and you might have to change some of the
file-handling routines (I'll check on that), but anyt hing text-based
should be almost line-for-line compatible.  Now, if they could just come
up with a program to sand and paint hulls...

--Gene

------------------------------

From: JDSCHNITZER
Subject: Jump!Board020
Date: 25-JUN 22:29 Hardware & Peripherals

     Does anyone have any experience with the Jump!Board-020 from
   Network Specialties?  They've been advertising this 68020 Mac+
   upgrade for a thousand dollars.

     The ad copy says "comes with 1 Meg of RAM"... Is that an
   upgrade to two meg, or just a replacement for the standard memory.

     The ad copy also claims "support for MacWrite, Microsoft Basic
   and Fortran".  Why?  Just how compatible is the upgrade?  Are
   these packages called out because they violate the rules but
   still run?

     How reliable is this company?  Does anyone have any experience
   with their other products?

                                        Waiting with credit card at the
ready...

                                                        /Jeff Schnitzer

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Jump!Board020 (Re: Msg 20902)
Date: 26-JUN 08:49 Hardware & Peripherals

I don't know anything about this product or company, but I've had good
reports from people who bought a similar product from Novy in Florida.
You might want to give Novy a call if you're in the market.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 26-JUN 18:10 Hardware & Peripherals

MacWrite has a problem with all 68020 systems because it relies on some
details of how the 68000 handles program interrupts.  99% of all Mac
programs don't have this problem because they aren't trying to be
tricky.  The short term solution is a Macwrite fixer, and most vendors
of 68020 add-ons have this in one form or another.

MacWrite is also due to be upgraded, and rumor has it that the new
version will be available at your Apple dealer in mid-July, along with
upgrades to MacPaint, MacDraw, MacTerminal, and MacProject (??).

"Support for 68020" with reference to Fortran might haave something to
do with generating inline code for the 68881 floating point unit.

peter

------------------------------

From: JDSCHNITZER
Subject: Excel Array/Macro Question
Date: 25-JUN 22:38 Business Mac

I've been having trouble figuring out how to use a macro that returns an
array. For example, try the macro shown on page 113 of the Arrays...
manual.  It appears to generate the numbers described, but I can't seem
to get anything but the first element returned when I invoke the mao by
putting {macros!dep(<whatever>)} in a worksheet -- even if I selected a
range and ended the entry with cmd-enter.  Any ideas on what I may be
doing wrong here?
                                                /Jeff Schnitzer

------------------------------

From: FMBBS
Subject: Formatting XL/HFS
Date: 28-JUN 09:41 Hardware & Peripherals

I have noticed that I cannot format a single sided disk on my XL using
the SUN HFS. Can anyone give me ideas as to any patches to the system to
fix that??? I am presently using another MAC to format disk. Bill T

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Formatting XL/HFS (Re: Msg 20977)
Date: 28-JUN 20:28 Hardware & Peripherals

Is it formatting the disk as 400K HFS?  The rule for Mac HFS systems is
that any disk 400K or smaller defaults to MFS, so if it is formatting a
400K disk as HFS that sounds like a bug.

On Mac HFS systems you can force a 400K HFS disk (not what you want) by
holding down the option key when clicking the OK box after entering the
volume name, but the only way to get an 800K MFS disk is to use a
version of the system that doesn't know about HFS (just as System
2.0/Finder 4.1).

peter

------------------------------

From: MWEASNER
Subject: Centering on Big Screens
Date: 28-JUN 00:01 Programming Techniques

With the advent of the Mac II and the prior availability of large
screens for the Mac, I am wondering what is the best way to center
windows, dialogs, and alerts.  I have defined the top, left, bottom,
right of my windows, dialogs, and alerts in my resource file.  I am
trying to come up with a single routine that would center in any size
screen ANY window, dialog, alert that was passed to the routine.  I
realize that I must check if screenBits.bounds.right > 512 and if so, go
to my routine before the window, dialog, alert is displayed.  But since
I display alerts with the ALERT(ID,0) calls, I am wondering how to
change the left coordinate before the alert is displayed.  Plus I want
the same routine to work to change the left coordinate of any windows or
dialogs too.

Any help or sample code appreciated.  I am using Mac C but will take
code in any C or Pascal.

Mike

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Centering on Big Screens (Re: Msg 1816)
Date: 29-JUN 22:26 Programming Techniques

Read the DLOG (or ALRT) into memory and change it there.  When Alert
calls GetResource, it'll already be in memory (and modified).

------------------------------

From: SCHERFNET
Subject: ListMgr and Changing Fonts Question
Date: 28-JUN 12:07 Programming

I've *finally* got scrolling lists working in a program I'm writting
using dialog boxes.  However, after looking at the List Record fields,
there doesn't appear to be a way to have the list use a different font
and size than that of the rest of the Dialog. Can anyone offer advice in
getting around this shortcomine of ListMgr? Thanks. -- Mark Scherfling

From: INTECO
Subject: RE: ListMgr and Changing Fonts Question (Re: Msg 20970)
Date: 1-JUL-17:46: Programming

My ListMgr stuff runs as a user item, just change font and size on entry
and exit.

Uwe

End of Delphi Mac Digest