[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #34

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (07/14/87)

Date: Tue 14 Jul 87 08:52:27-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #34
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Tuesday, July 14, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
     Appletalk Problem
     RE: Aztec C Problems
     Looking for A/B box
     Habadex - Is it still out there anywhere
     Color Monitor for Mac II
     Switcher vs. System 4.1 (3 messages)
     RE: Mac II Speed
     Anyone with Reflex? (2 messages)
     Microtek & Versiscan (3 messages)
     mac II interlace video (4 messages)
     DEC LA50 Driver
     Compatibility problem LSP - MPW Pascal
     SE keyaboard and boot problems
     Re:Custom Characters for LaserWriter
     A couple of Quickies... (2 messages)
     CD ROM DRIVES (3 messages)
     B&W Monitor (2 messages)
     RE: ImageWriter-compatible printer
     laser writer paper (2 messages)
     re: Sun monitor on Mac??
     PageMaker
     4th Dimension (3 messages)
     Quantum drives for Mac II
     Do the PostScript strech... (3 messages)
     SCSI Bernoulli boxes (2 messages)
     Camera on the Macintosh II
     Print Screens on Mac II (3 messages)

From: DSACHS
Subject: Appletalk Problem
Date: 1-JUL-21:22: Hardware & Peripherals

There appears to be a hardware condition possible on the Macintosh Plus,
that will cause Appletalk to not work AT ALL, but does not impair the
use of the printer serial port with either an ImageWriter or a Modem.

This condition appears to be associated with the MacServe file server.
It appeared in three separate Mac Plusses AFTER THE BATTERY WAS REMOVED
AND REPLACED.  Removing the battery for a few minutes does NOT cure this
condition.

The connectors and peripherals were checked, by replacing an afflicted
Mac+ with another one, and using the same startup/program disks.  When
an afflicted Mac was trying to access Appletalk, "Appletalk Peek"
running on a connected Mac detected no activity whatsoever.

Two different System levels (3.2 & 4.1) were tried, and the enabled
status of Appletalk was always set correctly.  I have removed the
battery from a Mac+ that was NOT running Macserve, and the status of
Appletalk was not adversely affected.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Aztec C Problems
Date: 1-JUL-21:30: Network Digests

 >From: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen)
 >Subject: Aztec C Problems

I tried to compile '2.right = 3' with Aztec C 3.40 (a beta version, soon
to be released they claim) and get a missing semicolon error.

------------------------------

From: DONBYRD
Subject: Looking for A/B box
Date: 2-JUL-06:53: Hardware & Peripherals

I'm looking for a nice SMALL A/B switch box, preferably with Mac
Plus-style connectors. A few months ago I tried a DataSpec; it was fine
except for the obnoxious amount of desk space it took (it would have fit
perfectly under the ext. floppy drive, except all its switches and
connectors are on the long side; putting it rotated under the drive is
not only awkward, but ends up needing twice the space to leave room for
the projections). A MacNifty A/B or A/B/C/D would be perfect--does
anyone know where I can get one? or smthg like it? Thanx.

------------------------------

From: RHUNT
Subject: Habadex - Is it still out there anywhere
Date: 2-JUL-08:40: Business Mac

I have a copy of Habadex I've been using since 1985.  Part of Haba
Systems strategy was to require calendar updates periodically rather
than writing the program with a perpetual calendar.

Now that they're out of business (and 1987 is the last year on my
calendar), Habadex is becoming extinct quickly.  I have two questions:

    1.  Did anyone take over the maintenance of the program,
specifically the
        calendar?

    2.  Does anyone know what to do to get the calendar to roll forward
to, say,
        1987 through 1990?

I regards to the second question, the resource fork in Habadex has the
years that are displayed on the screen.  I changed these from 1984-1987
to 1987-1990. The effect of this was only to change the screen however.
It appears that they have somehow coded the actual dates into the
calendar file.

The programmer of Habadex was Gary Crandall.  If Gary is out there
somewhere holding on to a bunch of calendar updates, I'd like to here
from him.

Randy

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR
Subject: Color Monitor for Mac II
Date: 1-JUL-22:07: Tools for Developers

Acting on a tip from NATURAL (formerly known as INC) I obtained a Sony
CPD-1302 color monitor from BusinessLand in Boston. This appears to be
the same monitor that Apple is using, except it won't plug directly into
the back of the II without a different power cord than comes with it. I
had to tweak the adjustments a little to get the picture just right, but
now it looks wonderful. In monochrome it looks nearly as good as the
Apple monochrome I've been using (ie slightly worse than the original
small screen, but still quite good) and the colors are great! This
monitor lists for $975, and I was able to pick it up for $775. And, it's
available now, not two months (or more) from now. So, if you're waiting
for a color monitor, this is a good bet. Plugs right in, and even comes
with the right cable.
 Jan

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Switcher vs. System 4.1
Date: 3-JUL-14:22: Bugs & Features

I may have jumped the gun a little in my Switcher/System 4.1 flame
previously.  I took my recent experience with Switcher and the net
traffic and concluded it was System 4.1 at fault.  In my own case, the
worst problems appear to be caused by some software I'm beta testing
(although it hasn't caused many other problems.)  Removing that
software, I was able to use Word 3 and Excel 1.04 both in Switcher
successfully, although the standard open dialog lost the disk name above
the file names - this was on a Mac SE with HyperCharger 020, so Switcher
even works with the 68020 (as far as I tested it, anyway).

Ric the red

------------------------------

From: LAMD
Subject: RE: Switcher vs. System 4.1 (Re: Msg 21036)
Date: 4-JUL-00:42: Bugs & Features

Have you tried Switcher on the II? I haven't been able to get version
5.1 to work - it dies as soon as I try to configure or launch an
application - ANY application.

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: Switcher vs. System 4.1 (Re: Msg 21042)
Date: 4-JUL-02:14: Bugs & Features

Switcher does not work on the II.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Mac II Speed (Re: Msg 21033)
Date: 3-JUL-21:53: Macintosh II

Donald Brown was saying that if you turn off the instruction cache,
AppleTalk ( i.e. LaserWriter printing) will fail, because there was some
timing-dependent code which would run slower w/o cache.

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: Anyone with Reflex?
Date: 3-JUL-22:26: Bugs & Features

Does anyone out there use Reflex with SuperLaserSpool v1.1?  I am using
both on a Datafram 20, finder 5.5 & system 4.1.  The spooler works great
on everything else I have tried without a hitch, but everytime I try to
!  I have no problems with out SLS.  One note:  It will save to disk
before bombing... it seems to crash when finished saving.  Any ideas??

Bill

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Anyone with Reflex? (Re: Msg 21040)
Date: 5-JUL-03:54: Bugs & Features

Does Reflex put up the standard print dialog (not all databases do)?  I
think SLS hasn't implemented all the low-level printing routines (it has
problems with miniWRITER on a LaserWriter, which appear to relate to its
inability to handle a PrintR call).

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: Microtek & Versiscan
Date: 3-JUL-22:34: Bugs & Features

I am having a heck of a time finding a program compatible with Versiscan
saved files (other than MacPaint type).  I have PageMaker 2.0 (it
doesn't see them), but 1.2 does(!!??).  I would like to be able to put
postscript files into CricketDraw and PM 2.0 and would welcome
suggestions.  I could put them in 1.2 format and then convert, and I
could use word, but the files don't come out the same.  Any Ideas?  Any
new updates coming SOON (are you on here Microtek)?

Bill (Synthony)

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Microtek & Versiscan (Re: Msg 21041)
Date: 7-JUL-02:11: Bugs & Features

Bill,
    VersaScan versions less than 2.07 have their own non-compressed
format
 options, after you manipulate the scan, to save in PostScript format,
among others. VersaScan Plus, which exists n to save in TIFF format (the
only scan format that PageMaker 2.0 will see). Keep bugging Microtek
about an upgrade to VersaScan- ey keep telling me to refer all my
questions to my dealer, who is unreliable and is over 100 miles away
from me.

Robert Hammen Madison Macintosh Users Group

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY
Subject: RE: Microtek & Versiscan (Re: Msg 21072)
Date: 7-JUL-23:34: Bugs & Features

Thanks Robert,

     I spoke with Microtek yesterday (after a bit of time with Aldus).
They said that Variscan+ was now available and they would send one
out... I asked for next day (I pay the postage) and it didn't show up
today.  Maybe tomorrow?? *sigh*.  I had been confused by the MacWorld
report on Scanners and the software versions.  The PageMaker 2.0 manual
listed Verascan, but the Plus version is the only TIFF version.  Here's
hoping it shows up tomorrow, and thanks for the note!

Bill

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: mac II interlace video
Date: 6-JUL-18:22: Macintosh II

There has been some interest in getting code to change the mac II video
car tointerlace format.  I got the program from apple tech support but
was specifically asked not to pass it on.  They do ask that anyone who
is interested contact them for it.  they are trying to convince the
poweres that be that there sohould be a standard interface to some og
the mac II hardware depended stuff on the video card.  any inter sted in
such information will be used by them to convince management to let them
do it.  Anyway i will let you know what it looks like as soon as i get
the extended memory for my video card as it only works in 8 bit mode.
best jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: mac II interlace video (Re: Msg 21061)
Date: 6-JUL-21:25: Macintosh II

One question I have that you can pass on is:  does this NTSC mode
actually conform to NTSC or is it just compatible enough to display
properly on a TV receiver or a studio monitor?

In order to be truly compatible, it must be properly interlaced as two
fields of 262-1/2 lines each.

The other question is whether there is any provision for genlock input.
If there is, the Mac could be wired into a TV control room through a
time-base corrector and the output could be mixed with other video
sources.

However, if the card is not genlockable, but *is* truly NTSC compatible,
it could still be used to record on videotape and the tape could then be
used in the normal way in the studio.

Now, if the answers to these questions are no, not recommended, or not
without hardware hacking, then I think Mac II NTSC should be left for a
separate card with genlock etc built in.  A special purpose card like
that could have a video input or two as well as an output and could be
used for effects by keying on the values in one or more bit planes in
the Mac II.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: mac II interlace video (Re: Msg 21066)
Date: 7-JUL-22:42: Macintosh II

Peter, our hardware folks say that according to the card specs in
interlace mode it conforms to the rs170 standard what ever that means
(just a software type ;-)) but will pass you question on mark at macdev.
 best jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: mac II interlace video (Re: Msg 21092)
Date: 8-JUL-01:48: Macintosh II

RS-170A is the EIA specification for a broadcast television signal, so
that means that the interlace should be correct.  (There are all sorts
of other tolerances on pulse width and so on as well.)

peter

------------------------------

From: GBERKOWITZ
Subject: DEC LA50 Driver
Date: 6-JUL-18:33: Hardware & Peripherals

Hello!  Does anyone know where I can find a Mac printer driver for the
DEC LA50 printer?  Thanks in advance, --Gene

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: Compatibility problem LSP - MPW Pascal
Date: 7-JUL-18:41: Developers' Corner

I found one compatibility problem between MPW Pascal and Lightspeed
Pascal:

While working with strings I found that the following expression works
different if the source string is smaller than the copy wanted.

deststr := Copy ( sourcestr,1,30);

IF sourcestr is smaller than 30 characters MPW Pascal returns an empty
string, while LSP Pascal returns the sourcestr.

So check the length of strings while usuing MPW and the built-in string
handling routines.

Uwe

------------------------------

From: GECOLPITTS
Subject: SE keyaboard and boot problems
Date: 7-JUL-18:50: Bugs & Features

i have a mac se with a dataframe xp20 external hard disk drive if my
keyboard is plugged in when i boot the machine boots with the mouse
frozen and it thus unuseable. plugging in the keyboard after booting
works but is a pain. Has anybody seen this problem or have any idea what
causes it ?

is there a central list of problems with the SE and/or 4.1/5.5 ?

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: Re:Custom Characters for LaserWriter
Date: 7-JUL-22:17: Network Digests

>To: loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks)
>Re:Custom Characters for LaserWriter

 You can generate specialy characters of the cort you mentioned with
Fontographer (Altsys).

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: A couple of Quickies...
Date: 7-JUL-23:00: Business Mac

A couple of quick questions:

A. How does one get the Apple calculator into Reverse Polish?  Was
   my imagination or was there a way to do this?

Secondly. If I want to paste something from Excel to say Acta, and I
want all the lines and boxes, or at least the spacing, what's the
bestest way?

thanks.

joshua

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: A couple of Quickies... (Re: Msg 21093)
Date: 8-JUL-11:28: Business Mac

Josh, you can "copy picture" in Excel (using the Shift key) and then
paste the picture into Acta.  The only other option, and I don't think
it's what you want, is to use Smart Paste to paste the Excel info into
separate Acta topics (hold down Option while selecting Paste).

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICKCUMMINGS
Subject: CD ROM DRIVES
Date: 8-JUL-00:02: Hardware & Peripherals

I have han an enquiry about the possibility of using a CD ROM drive to
store the titles of 50,000 library books on CD.  Any comments,
experience with CD ROM, etc., would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: CD ROM DRIVES (Re: Msg 21096)
Date: 8-JUL-01:51: Hardware & Peripherals

3M specializes in short-run (and also fast turnaround) CD-ROM
production.  I think they expect you to do the preparation of the data
for mastering, but you might be able to find the name of someone in your
area with experience in that kind of thing by calling 3M.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: CD ROM DRIVES (Re: Msg 21133)
Date: 9-JUL-21:48: Hardware & Peripherals

I know LoDOWN has a CD ROM reader for the Mac (SCSI interface).

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: B&W Monitor
Date: 8-JUL-20:47: Macintosh II

So, I *finally* receive my B&W Mac II monitor today, three weeks ahead
of Apple's promise :-)  I hook it all up and see two very minor
problems:

       1. There is a slight shadow that extends past the sides of windows
       (mostly on the right side.)

       2. The sides bow in slightly.

Well, being the perfectionist I am, I would like to correct those.  How?

I have made sure the cables are screwed in as tight as possible but
that didn't eliminate the shadow.  Will any of those controls under the
"Do Not Touch, This Means You!" panel at the back of the monitor fix the
bowing problem?

Also, how can I tell that the extra video RAM is actually working?  The
control panel says 2, 4, 16 & 256 (what happened to the shades between
16 & 256?).  The little Apple logo looks the same between 16 & 256
selected.  I, ahem, installed the video RAM upgrade myself (only needed
to insert 8 chips) did I miss a jumper to be switched?

BTW, anyone notice the minor mistake the "How To" disk has?  When it
shows you how to initialize a disk the picture shows a disk being
inserted in the rightmost drive yet the initialize dialog box shows the
arrow pointing under the leftmost drive ;-)

                                               Jeff

P.S. Dispite the minor flaws I wouldn't trade it in!!   Now where *is*
that color monitor......

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: B&W Monitor (Re: Msg 21117)
Date: 8-JUL-21:38: Macintosh II

The color monitor has the same side problems but you get used to it very
quickly.  On the Sony color there are knobs to set for horizontal size
and shrinking them in a little helps a bit.  Another I noticed on the
Sony is a single black pixle that doesn't seem to want to turn on.
Should I return this? Actually there might be two of em.  Hmmm.

The video chips are fine.  it goes from 16 to 256.  Where did you get
yours? From Apple direct?

josh you ah

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: RE: ImageWriter-compatible printer
Date: 8-JUL-20:57: Network Digests

>From: mentat@ut-ngp.UUCP (Robert Dorsett)
>Subject: ImageWriter-compatible printer
>Date: 29 Jun 87 21:53:49 GMT
>Does anyone out there know anything about Panasonic printers that are

Try Vision Technologies (the little Mac rental place beneath the
Dianetics Church, next to the sandwich shop).  They have at least one
Mac compatible printer for a pretty good price.

Brian

------------------------------

From: STANKRUTE
Subject: laser writer paper
Date: 9-JUL-00:38: Hardware & Peripherals

Anyone got real-world recommendations on paper that maximizes laser
writer print quality ? -- graphic guy stan

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: laser writer paper (Re: Msg 21131)
Date: 9-JUL-08:16: Hardware & Peripherals

Hammermill's Laser Plus paper is optimized for the LaserWriter.  I've
used it and attended an in-depth presentation about it.  Highly
recommended.

Note that you can do a lot in the printing process itself, if your end
goal is publishing and you are using the offset printing process after
producing camera-ready masters on the LaserWriter.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Sun monitor on Mac?? (Re: Msg 21081)
Date: 9-JUL-04:39: Network Digests

 >From: km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg)
 >Subject: Sun monitor on Mac??

I think the Megascreen from Micrographic Images uses the same monitor as
a Sun; whether it uses (or can use) a Sun monitor I don't know.

------------------------------

From: FOREMOST
Subject: PageMaker
Date: 8-JUL-23:15: Developers' Corner

Hello, Does anyone have documentation on or knowledge about the
Pagemaker 1.2 or 2.0 file formats? Also, I'm looking for formats to MS
Word 3.0, RSG 3 or 4, and anything else. Any file formats I find I'll be
sure to upload.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: RICKCUMMINGS
Subject: 4th Dimension
Date: 9-JUL-23:39: Programming

Have you tried 4th. Dim yet?  I am surprised that the "Personnel"
example is not coded better.  Almost looks like they were in a real
hurry to get it to market.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: 4th Dimension (Re: Msg 21158)
Date: 10-JUL 08:21 Programming

Rick,
 What did you specifically notice about the Personnel example?

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICKCUMMINGS
Subject: RE: 4th Dimension (Re: Msg 21161)
Date: 11-JUL 02:19 Programming

When you access the Search and Modify function for the last name of
smith (of which there are three) or Bland( of which there are two), you
are presenter with employee #3 in the case of Smith.  If you click on OK
AND SEARCH, whi intuitively indicates you w ant to find the next Smith,
you are presented with the original Search screen (EntryScreen1).  In
short, you cannof find more than one occurrence of the entries with the
same last name.  The procedure involved is ModEmp1 which calls
EntryScreen1.  The end of the proc should loop rather than calling
EntryFromList.

------------------------------

From: DOCJOHNALEG
Subject: Quantum drives for Mac II
Date: 11-JUL 12:32 Tools for Developers

We have just ordered five 80 Meg Quantum drives directly from Quantum.
We recieved them wed.  These are the same drives that Apple is selling
for the Mac II.  They are just 1/2 the price if you buy raw drives from
Quantum.

OK.  We get the drives, make power and 50pin connector cables. Put the
drives in the IIs.  And go to Initialize using Apples SC Hard Disk Init
ver 1.4.  This is the version that Apple has been tell everyone that is
the only one to use for Mac II internal HD's.  The messages on Apple
Link were very explicit in saying that ver 1.4 was the only "initer'
that would work properly with Mac II release roms.  Well we tried it and
could not get the Quantum to appear on the desk top. One of our members
had just done this same thing on a Mac II prototype at Mirror Tech.  So
what was the story.  Well on a lark we tried "Downgrading" our drivers
using Apples SC Hard Disk Init ver 1.1. Low and behold every thing works
fine. Disks boot, run at lightning speed, etc.  Whats going on Apple.
Puting code in ROM to prevent folks from saving a buck buying raw
drives???

Where's Jasik?

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Do the PostScript strech...
Date: 12-JUL 19:19 Business Mac

I am trying to strech some letters but want them to look really slick,
and since they are going to be printed on the LaserWriter, I figured
there's a way to do it cleanly.  Plus, after I strech them, I would like
to modify them a little bit, like put some windows (like on a building,
not on a mac) on one of the letters.

Any ideas?

Joshua

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Do the PostScript strech... (Re: Msg 21194)
Date: 13-JUL 05:53 Business Mac

The normal way to stretch is to have text objects (i.e. from SuperPaint
or MacDraw) and stretch them.  Careful positioning of white rectangles
would give you windows.

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: Do the PostScript strech... (Re: Msg 21198)
Date: 13-JUL 13:57 Business Mac

But SuperPaint won't allow the streching of text, only the size change,
unless it's done in the paint mode which defeats the purpose.  Am I
missing something?

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH
Subject: SCSI Bernoulli boxes
Date: 13-JUL 08:56 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone have any experience using Bernoulli Boxes on a Plus or on a
Mac II? I'm in charge of buying micros for my project at the University,
and the Mac Connection seems to have a really good price for the 20 + 20
model.  Does the SCSI Bernoulli work well?  Any problems?  Software
incompatibilities with the new System/Finder etc.?  Any comments would
be appreciated.  Thanks! --Jim Weinrich

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: SCSI Bernoulli boxes (Re: Msg 21200)
Date: 13-JUL 09:29 Hardware & Peripherals

Jim,

In general, I haven't heard of problems with the SCSI B-boxes.  One
thing I'd be wary of, though, is compatibility with *future* software,
such as Finder 6 (Juggler). I don't get the impression that Iomega has a
dedicated Mac software team.

Ric

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Camera on the Macintosh II
Date: 13-JUL 13:59 Macintosh II

Camera will NOT work on the Mac II.  Does anyone have any ideas?

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Print Screens on Mac II
Date: 13-JUL 14:08 Macintosh II

Oh, and while on the subject of camera's and screens, anyone know who to
do a save screen?

Cmd-Shift-3 (or 4) just won't work.

Joshua. Just say North.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Print Screens on Mac II (Re: Msg 21208)
Date: 13-JUL 18:14 Macintosh II

I thought that the usual save to disk FKEY was supposed to work by
producing a larger than normal MacPaint snapshot rotated 90 degrees?
(But only in 2-color mode of course!)

peter

From: YMUG
Subject: RE: Print Screens on Mac II (Re: Msg 21209)
Date: 13-JUL 19:37 Macintosh II

peter, that works, but it still seems you can't get shots with menus
down.

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------