[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #107

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (07/20/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 19 Jul 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 107

Today's Topics:
            Re: A User's impressions of Diskfit and HD Backup
                               Jasmine 20
                      Warp 9 Photon 40 mini-review
                    Mac money mgnt s/w recommendation
                          Multi-user databases
                         APL terminal emulators
                Help needed. Terminal emulation software.
                          software for weavers
                          Mac II & Engineering
               Anyone driving Compugraphic MCS with Macs?
                     Molecular graphics packages ???
                         FullWrite Professional
                    Password access on file opening?
                slippery mouse? (desk pads / teflon feet)
                what is a good carrying case for the Mac?
                         MAC II Whetstone timing
                             MAC II Software
                       fast printer for Appletalk
          WANTED - 100K per second data acquisition for Mac II
                    How Good is the Mac II Hard Disk?
                     Special LaserWriter application
         Restricting LaserWriter access on an AppleTalk network
                  Cricket software generating ill-will
                    Excel maunal & registration time.

Date: Thu 18 Jun 87 21:58:43-PDT
From: Jaime Gomez <J.JJGH@OTHELLO.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: A User's impressions of Diskfit and HD Backup

I completely agree with the first one that posted the message giving to
Diskfit the title of *the* backup program. I've been using it for the last
three weeks and I'm quite impressed by it. It works very fast (about 45 minutes
to backup 16 MB from a 20 MB to 22 floppies, and less than 30 minutes to
restore them) and it is smart. The name of 'smarset' of disks couldn't be
more appropriate. The program is able to recognize which programs should be
deleted from the last backup and it overwrites the old files with the
new ones, so keeping just the initial set of disks (22 in my case). HD BAckup
was slow and I couldn't ever understand how to use it efficiently. HD backup
and other programs ala Unix I tried keep adding disks to your initial backup
set until a full backup is done again and another hour of your time is
wasted again. With Diskfit you keep the set of disks required to store the
MB on your hardisk and you can do a backup daily, (even hourly) with only
spending a few minutes (I mean 2 or 3 minutes). Thing that I didn't
do before with any other backup program.

About the restore of individual programs it is great that the back-up format
is Finder readable. Yes, you need Diskfit to restore files larger than 800K
but that it is not very usual and at least it is not my case. So, in an
emergency, as it was said by the first who post the message, I do not
need to rely on a single piece of software.

In summary, Diskfit is a very fast and reliable backup programs that allows
you to maintain a set of disks with a full backup by investing only a few
minutes a day.

jaime gomez

j.jjgh@othello.stanford.edu

Disclaimer: I do not have any relationship with Supermac, I'm only a very
satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 87 18:50:59 pdt
From: Cliff Stoll <stoll@lbl-ux8>
Subject: Jasmine 20

   Well, my Jasmine 20 Mbyte hard disk has been working flawlessly
for 6 months now, and Jasmine has finally printed a manual for it.
Yikes!  The Jasmine manual is 60 pages long, and covers setting up,
backups, reformatting ... even a chapter on what to do if a file
gets corrupted.  A manual that's worth waiting for.
   Along with the manual, came a diskette of new formatting software;
called Jasmine-Format (or something like that), version 1.95.  They
recommend reformatting your Jasmine disk with this version for
higher speed and more robust bad-block detection.  I'll try it
and report back later.
   I've been singularly delighted with my Jasmine; about the only
thing wrong with it is that the price recently went up from $600
to $650.
...cheers!

cliff stoll
cliff@lbl.arpa
lawrence berkeley labs
1 cyclotron rd.
berkeley, ca 94720

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 11:17 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Warp 9 Photon 40 mini-review

I just received my "Photon 40" (40 MB SCSI hard disk) from Warp Nine a
fortnight ago, and thought a quick report might be of interest.So far,
everything is working fine ... I have the '40 chained onto a MacBottom
21 which has the system files, etc., and am mostly using the '40 for data
files and index-building and -browsing with Browser v.244+ (see earlier
Info-Macs for data on that program for free-text database work).  Noise
level of the '40 is similar to the MacBottom, though it takes longer
to power up (maybe 30 seconds).
Negatives:  Warp Nine originally sent me the wrong cable (they didn't know
that the MacBottom carries the 25-pin Apple connector through, though I
told them when ordering that I needed to chain via that route), and the
original floppy of disk utilities was bad and consistently bombed.  But
Warp 9 tech support (an 800-number) was good; they sent me the correct
cable (but only after I mailed in the wrong one) and another copy of
the utilities disk that does work fine.  Also, the system/finder on the
'40 is 3.2/4.3 or whatever it was (but I removed those and am having
no problems using it with 4.1/5.5 from the MacBottom).  In three calls,
tech support has always answered (but I've had to wait typically 2-5
minutes on hold).
Positives:  drive works great, seems a bit faster than the MacBottom,
and at $969 including shipping by air the price was right.  Overall, I'm
very happy with it....

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 87  9:11:24 GMT+0100
From: "Jon W. McCombie" <jmccombi@bbncc-eur.arpa>
Subject: Mac money mgnt s/w recommendation

So the Mac SE just arrived and I'm looking for a personal money management
software package.  This is for my personal money management only, i.e. has
nothing to do with running a business, etc.

A colleague demo'ed "Managing Your Money" (tm, etc.) on his IBM-PC clone
and I liked it.  Unfortunately, to the best of my or my friend's knowledge,
there are no plans to publish a Macintosh version of MYM.  (Is this true?)
I have read the article in the Sept 86 MacWorld with an overview of every
accounting software system for the Mac, ever.  Before I buy, I'm looking
for opinions from people who have used such personal money management
software.  What do you use?  Do you like it?  Do you recommend it?  Why?
How much did it cost?  Where can I buy it?

Please answer directly to me; I will summarize to the net as appropriate.
Thanks in advance.

Jon McCombie
BBN Communications Corp.
Stuttgart, W. Germany

ARPA/MILnet: jmccombie@bbncc-eur.arpa
USEnet:      ...!{inhp4, harvard, seismo}!bbn!jmccombi

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my
employer nor of any firm or government agency with which my employer does
business.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 18:52 EDT
From: Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: Multi-user databases

Has anybody used an existing database that runs on both Mac and IBM
hardware, with one machine acting as the server, and multiple users on a
mixed network doing queries?

If not, has anybody used both Multi-user Double Helix and Omnis 3 Plus,
and have an opinion or two about the choice between them?

Please reply to me directly; if there is a good summary I'll post it.

Thanks
  Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 87 21:09:20 EDT
From: "Thomas D. Schardt" <K3TDS%SCFVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: APL terminal emulators

My organization is trying to allow our users to use APL over an IBM
Series/1.  We have one user who would like to do this on his Mac.
I was wondering if anyone knows of an APL terminal emulator for the
Mac.  If you know of one, please send me mail at one of the following
network addresses:

    Bitnet:   K3TDS@SCFVM
    Arpanet:  K3TDS%SCFVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

Thanks, Tom Schardt
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 10:29 CDT
From: (Michael W. Wheeler)  <MWW%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help needed. Terminal emulation software.

I am in need of more information about terminal emulation software for
the Macintosh (512K an up).  The two packages that have caught my eye
are VersaTerm-Pro from Peripherals Computers and Supplies, Inc. written
by Lonnie Abelbeck and Mac240 from White Pine Software.  What I want is
very faithful VT100 (preferably VT102) emulation along with Tektronix
graphics emulation and VT240 emulation.  The software also needs to
run in color on the Macintosh II and with shading on the Mac SE.  We
also need good Kermit support (that means vanilla Kermit + MacBinary Kermit +
Kermit sliding windows) likewise good Xmodem support (vanilla Xmodem +
MacTerminal 1.1 + MacBinary Xmodem.)

I have seen VersaTerm-Pro 1.2 and have found it lacking in:
 Full VT100/VT102 support (example. Advanced Video blink - minor I know but
                           there may be others)
 Kermit (sliding windows)
 Xmodem (MacTerminal 1.1 - I think)
 Doesn't have a numeric keypad menu (although you can fudge a poor man's one.)
 VT240 emulation (This is rather low priority since it does do
                  Tektronix 4105 and 4014 emulation but what happens if I
                  get caught on a system without a Tektronix driver or with
                  programs that only support VT240 -- some of our software
                  is like this.)

I understand that version 2.0 is now out.  Has any of these problems been
fixed is so which ones?  Does it really do color on the Mac II?  What
updates/upgrades are planned? Don't get me wrong about this product so far
I think it is great but for $295 I want perfection and I think I have a
right to expect it for a price like that!  But I also think that a program
that would do all of this would be worth every penny!

The other software package is Mac240 which is a very good VT240 emulator
(which means it also emulates Tektronix 4010/4014 + all of the lower VT's
like VT125, VT102, VT100, etc.)  It does support Kermit and Xmodem.  I don't
now if it will do color on a Mac II or not or if it will even run on a Mac II
for that matter.  I have found it lacking in:
 Kermit sliding windows
 132 column mode is really only 128 columns (which I don't mind)
 Doesn't support Tektronix 4105

On the plus side however they sell an additional application that will convert
Oject or Bitmap graphics to Regis or SIXEL respectively -- too bad it's an
extra $99.  I could use something like that.  But what I would really like
to see is a utility to convert Macintosh graphics to Calcomp plotter code.  I
bet this university would go wild buying Mac's if we could find something like
that!

Anyway, can anyone give me info on anything related to this or correct me
if I have misrepresented either of these two excellent software packages.
They are good -- I just want more...(as always).

I apologize for being so verbose,
mww@tntech.bitnet

Michael W. Wheeler  ( Bitnet address: mww@tntech )
Systems Programmer
Tennessee Technological University
Box 5071
Cookeville, TN  38505
(615) 372-3977

------------------------------

Date: 1-JUL-1987 11:38:02.90
From: <STEVENSON%BROWNCOG.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: software for weavers

I am looking for software to run on the Mac for computer-aided design
of weaving patterns. I am told that one exists for the Atari, and
thought there might be one for the Mac as well. Please note me at this
account if you know of such a program.
Thanks
Scott Stevenson
STEVENSON@BROWNCOG.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri 03 Jul 1987 09:48 CDT
From: N. Gokhale <MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac II & Engineering

Our engineering advisor is thinking of getting a Macintosh II (if he gets
it, it will be the FIRST mac on campus.)  Does anyone know of any
engineering packages designed for the mac?  Please mail responses since this
IBM oriented university will buy a System/2 instead.

 Nihar, Western Illinois University
bitnet   MMAR013@ECNCDC
internet MMAR013%ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp     [wanginst!decvax!cbosgd!] psuvax1!ECNCDC.BITNET!MMAR013

------------------------------

Date: Thu 9 Jul 87 00:11:42-EDT
From: "Bob Soron" <Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Anyone driving Compugraphic MCS with Macs?

   My department at Boston University has a CG MCS Powerview 10
and, I believe, an 8400 output device.  We would like to use the Macs
in our office as front ends.  I remember seeing ads for software that
would do this some time ago, but haven't the foggiest recollection of
any other details.  If anyone out there has tried it,. I'd be very
interested in hearing about your experiences.

   Please respond directly, as I sometimes don't get to read the
lists for short periods, and we'd like to get moving.

Thanks,

Bob Soron
Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@xx.lcs.mit.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 13:42:46 PDT
From: Olivier Lichtarge <LICHTARGE@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Molecular graphics packages ???

A friend of mine would like to know what kind of molecular graphics and
molecular modeling packages are available on the Mac II:
   What they do ?
   What add-ons do they require if any ?
   Are they available from program libraries ?
Thanks for replies to
Lichtarge@sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jul 87 13:31:22 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: FullWrite Professional
From: Pugh.ESCP8@Xerox.COM

I am looking for reviews & release date information for the FullWrite
Professional package from Ann Arbor Softworks.  The package has recently
fallen under the category of "to be released Real Soon Now".

/Eric

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Jul 87 23:52:34 PDT
From: Harry Saal <hjs@lindy.stanford.edu>
Subject: Password access on file opening?

Is there a program which will intercept all file open (from standard MAC
applications), and request the user to supply a valid password before
permitting access to the file in question? (One needs an auxilary program
to assign a password to each file as well).

The goal is to have something straightforward which would prevent someone
from prying into files while accessing a common-area MAC, say to use its
laser printer, etc.

It would be sufficient to have one master password (kept in a global but
hidden file), and to mark certain files as requiring the password, rather than
a separate password per file.

Note that the program should be such you can still click on a document, and
cause the creating application to run, but still request the password via
a dialogue box.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 87 13:31:44 GMT
From: scubed!ncrcae!scholz@seismo.CSS.GOV (Carl Sholz)
Subject: slippery mouse? (desk pads / teflon feet)

I'm sure this has been talked about in the past, but I can't recall the
comments.  I've finally gotten sick of my mouse sticking to my desk.  Can
anyone recommend a brand of desk mouse pad and/or teflon feet for the
Mac 512k mouse.  There are lots of desk pads available, are they the same?
A long time ago, a remember ads for some kind of teflon feet.  Are they
any good?  Where can I get them?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 14:37
From: cmcl2!phri!delftcc!henry@seismo.CSS.GOV (Henry Rabinowitz)
Subject: what is a good carrying case for the Mac?

Anyone pleased with a particular vendor of carrying case for the mac?
Looking for something I can carry on my shoulder.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 87 12:31:20 EDT
From: jle <jmleonar@CRDEC-VAX2.ARPA>
Subject: MAC II Whetstone timing

I'm interested in hearing the Whetstone (single-precision) rating for the
MAC II.  Please reply to me directly, as I'm not on the mailing list.

 Joe Leonard  <jmleonar@crdec.arpa>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 87 13:47:15 BST
From: "Ralph R. Martin" (University College Cardiff)
From: <martin@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: MAC II Software

Im thinking of getting a Mac II Colour system, but before I do so, theres one
or two questions I'd like to see answered:-

(1) What are Apples intentions regarding making MacPaint work in colour -
Ive seen one or two programs which effectivley do this from Apple, but they
all say things like MacPaint-lookalike-developed-with-MacApp, and carry
large warnings like THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT. Are any of these going to be
developed into versions that will be released ?

(2) If I get the 8 bit colour version, what are the memory implications -
does the colour card have its own memory, or does this use up the main
memory in the Mac II ? If so, how much, and what's a reasonable minimum
memory size to go for?  I presume that 1Mbyte would be on the small size in
this case.

(3) Does anyone have a list of software which is compatible with the MacII,
and can use colour ? Current products and future offerings are of interest.

(4) Oh, yes, I forgot. Same as question (1), but for MacDraw,

Thanks, Ralph

------------------------------

Date: 27 June 1987, 18:23:07 EDT
From: DANIEL   at TECMTYVM
Subject: fast printer for Appletalk

  I'm looking for a fast o very fast dot matrix printer to be used in
Appletalk LAN, or attached to a Mac.

  I'm  trying to re-build our registration system using Silver Surffer
(Fourth Dimension) but the trouble is the printer bottleneck, for the
forms print outs.

Regards

Daniel Trujillo G.
Monterrey Institute or Technology.

P.S. Any news about the Fourth Dimension availibitly ? ( Date )

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Jul 87 10:37:04 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: WANTED - 100K per second data acquisition for Mac II

Recently a decision to buy Macs for our lab has been made, we will go for both
the Mac SE and the Mac II. The Mac II will be expected to do fast data
acquisition involved in the neural single ion channel recording however when
I started looking for the hardware to do it I found that most currently
available machines run at the max of 57.6K that was the limit of the serial
ports on the Plus.
Going over the software end I was very impressed with the National Instruments
LabVIEW but they offer fast hardware to the PC only (are you listening back
there in Texas?).
Please let me know if you know how to do fast data acquisition on the new Macs,
if I'll get enough responce I will summerize and repost.

  Zak

Disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with any of the mentioned companies

'now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same
place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run atleast twice as fast
as that.'  /TtLG

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 13:31:14 EST
From: sbm@purdue.edu
Subject: How Good is the Mac II Hard Disk?

    The DataFrame XP40 is such a fast disk that I have reservations
about paying extra for the internal disk on the Mac II.  Is the internal
disk as fast as a DataFrame XP40?  Do DataFrame XP40's work with
Mac II's?

Steve Munson
sbm@Purdue.EDU
sbm@Purdue.CSNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 87 14:30:42 EDT
From: Ed Servello <EDS%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Special LaserWriter application

I have a special problem with a special LaserWriter application that
someone may already have a solution for.  Here's some background info:

* A LaserWriter with a "vending system" has been installed at Brown
* The vending system enables/disables the printer by modifying the
  "Paper Empty" and "Pickup" signals at the DC Controller level (fooling the
  printer into thinking its out of paper).

A major problem occurs when one user sends a document to the printer without
actually printing it (depositing money) and another tries to use the printer
later.  The printer will wait an indefinite period of time to print the
document.  The result: A user paying for a previous user's error.
This is the last major source of day-to-day trouble in running this service.
in this facility.
If existing print jobs could be completely aborted by new print jobs (i.e.
quick re-initialization of the printer), then any old pages waiting around
at the start of a new job would be canceled.  As long as the user waits for
his current job to finish before starting a new one, I think this approach
would work.

If you have any suggestions, please message this account via BITNET or call
(401) 863-3883.
Thx, ed

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 87 16:12:00 EDT
From: "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu>
Subject: Restricting LaserWriter access on an AppleTalk network

Is there a straightforward way to achieve the following: a single AppleTalk
network, with two LaserWriters ("A" and "B"), two groups of users ("A" and
"B"), with each group only being able to print to their own LaserWriter?

Believe it or not, this may be the chief obstacle to installing our first
AppleTalk network (apart from the usual two-node Mac-and-LaserWriter
"networks").  One group is very possessive about its LaserWriter and feels
strongly that common sense, ordinary politeness, and giving its LaserWriter
a name like "X Group LaserWriter" are NOT sufficient protection.  There is
no logical reason why we couldn't have two separate networks, but the
office geometry and the frequency with which people change offices makes
the cabling much simpler and more economical if it is a single network.

Daniel P. B. Smith         ARPA: smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu
Eye Research Institute     CompuServe: 74706,661
20 Staniford Street        Telephone (voice): 617 742-3140
Boston, MA 02114

"We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to
Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to
communicate."--Thoreau

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 1987 1146-PDT (Friday)
From: Bruce Fleischer <fleisch@glacier.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cricket software generating ill-will

I bought Cricket Graph in Feb. Of all the Mac vendors I've dealt with,
Cricket Software stands out as providing the poorest customer support,
in both record-keeping and technical matters. In brief:
 1) I mailed my registration card with a couple of days of buying Graph.  A
month later, I called them to report some bugs. They had no record of my
purchase. They said that they were "in the middle of putting their records
on a new computer system," so things were a little mixed up. They told me
to send my master disks and a copy of my reciept, and they would register
me and send me the most recent version.  I did.
 2) The program (v. 1.1) has a bunch of bugs, some of the
follow-these-simple-steps-and-crash variety, and some things that can be
painfully worked around but make the program very annoying. The tech
support person I spoke with was rather unconvinced that there was anything
to be improved, and didn't have a computer in front of him. He told me to
send a disk with my copy of the program and example datasets.  I did.
 3) A week ago, I realized I'd gotten no response in two months. I called
again. Their main office had no record of getting my disks, and still did
not have me registered. They said they were "transferring their records to
a new computer system," so things were a little helter-skelter. Sound
familiar? Finally, they refused to even replace my master disks, saying
"there's nothing we can do."

 I'm not a habitual complainer. I have found people at other companies
(e.g., THINK and I.D.D.) friendly, helpful, prompt on the verge of
instantaeous, grateful to hear of anything that doesn't work or that a user
would like to see. Also, their tech support people have Macs and try
repeating my steps while I'm on the phone, so there's no need for mailing
disks around in the first place.

 As for Cricket: if you're considering one of their products, beware;
if you own one, send all correspondance registered return-receipt.

Bruce Fleischer (fleisch@glacier.stanford.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 87 07:56 EDT
From: "I am only an egg."
From: <JOHNSON%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Excel maunal & registration time.

    When I got MAC SE I also bought EXCEL 1.03.  I noticed that part
of the table of contents was missing from the manual.  I called
Microsoft, and called, and called, and called.  After almost two (2)
months I finally received the missing pages.  I'm patient but this is a
bit silly.  Almost two months and most of that time was spent trying to
convince Microsoft there was a problem and that it should be solved.

     The next problem I find is that although Excel has a number of
built-in functions, I don't see any definitions or explanations for them
in the manual.  So far the index has pointed around page 315.  This is a
list of functions in an appendix, not any kind of explanation of use or
function.  The manuals seems to refer me to the Lotus 1-2-3 manual.  I
don't have Lotus.  I have Excel.  I don't feel as though I should buy a
1-2-3 book to learn about Excel.

     Now I want to make sure I haven't missed anything.  Is it true that
there aren't any definitions or explanations of the built-in functions
in the Excel manual?

     Another thing I think is a bit strange is registration time.
Microsoft said it takes two months to register my copy of Excel.  That
means that although I mailed in my registration card two months ago, my
Excel still isn't registered (delay from mail transit included)?  I know
they probably receive a lot of registration cards but really now.

USnail:
          Chris Johnson
          Academic Computer Services
          Northeastern University 39RI
          360 Huntington Ave.
          Boston, MA. U.S.A. 02115
AT&T:     (617) 437-2335
CSNET:    johnson@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu
ARPANET:  johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:   johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@csnet-relay

(Always vote.  There may not be anything you want to vote for, but
 there might be something you want to vote against.)

End of INFO-MAC Digest