[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #109

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (07/27/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 26 Jul 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 109

Today's Topics:
                            FCMT and MPW help
                  FCMTs and DeskTop file rebuilding...
                   Detecting numeric keypad keypresses
                       Keyboard theories (V5 #108)
                               Adobe Fonts
                               Chooser 3.X
                            variable at $BAE
                         Cards & Drivers manual?
             How do you determine software version numbers?
                Re: terminal emulators for the macintosh
             Summery - fast data acquisition with Mac II/SE
                   Prototyping software for Macintosh
                           Site Licences etc.
                    Re: Phospors, Smoked video screen
                              Mac II video
                        Mac II and color monitors
                           Mac II Hard Drives
            Comparisons of Mac II internal HD with externals?
            Re: DataFrame 40 XP vs internal Mac II hard drive
                            Screeching drives

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 14:46:38 MET
From: norbert%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: FCMT and MPW help

I'd like to support Nihar Gokhale's suggestion and to extend it a bit:

Currently all the help information for all MPW tools is packed into a
single giant file, so if you want to add a new tool you always have to edit
that file. I think Apple should take a more modular approach and leave the
help information for any tool with that tool - in a resource named 'HELP'
or the like. Thus it would be easier to keep the help information
consistent with the tool configuration in use. The information could also
be used by the tool itself to give some help if it encountered erronous
parameters.

Norbert Lindenberg
Universitaet Karlsruhe, West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 87 09:12 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: FCMTs and DeskTop file rebuilding...

Storing Finder comment information in the resource fork of each file
would be a bad move.  If this were done, each time the user changed a
comment box, the file's modification date and file size would change.
It is relatively easy to keep the modification date from changing, but
consider a file with NO resource fork.  Considering comments are usually
less than 60 characters long, and file allocation blocks range from 256
bytes to 2Kbytes, if many of these files have short comments, this can
add up to a BIG waste in disk space.  User-oriented data such as file
Finder comments is best kept in a centralized location, as it is now.

One must also consider the remote possibility that the Mac crashes at
the very instant the Finder is updating an application's resource map
for the new comment resource.  In this instance, the application would
cease working, which is DEFINITELY not user-friendly.  In the present
implementation, if the Mac crashes when the Finder is updating the
DeskTop file, it is simply rebuilt the next time the disk is mounted,
and all that is lost is file comments, not data.

Many users have complained that when the DeskTop file is rebuilt
(which is a good move every so often) that all file comments are lost.
Although this would be relatively easy for Apple to correct, in the
meantime, I use one of two methods for recreating the DeskTop files on
my disks, INSTEAD of using command-option to have the Finder rebuild it:

By "brute force", I use ResEdit to remove ALL resources from the
DeskTop file EXCEPT types FCMT and STR.  The next time the Finder
encounters this disk, it sees the STR 0 resource, realizes that this
is its own file, and simply re-fills it with the icon and path info
for the applications on that disk, without purging the file comments.

The more elegant way to purge the DeskTop file is to run DiskExpress and
select "compact desktop" for the disk.  DiskExpress is smart enough to
search the disk, and remove only the icon information that is not needed
by any of the files on the disk, retaining the file comments.  DiskExpress
also allows you to verify media and remove file fragmentation.  At less
then $40, this program is a real bargain, and is a MUST for every Macintosh
owner.

Paul Christensen
CSNET: PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 87 22:55 EST
From: FMQDM9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Detecting numeric keypad keypresses

I've seen this topic come up several times, but I don't recall seeing
an answer.  Herewith my technique:

   Mask the event message with $00004000.  If the result is non-zero,
   the key pressed is either in the numeric keypad or is a cursor key.

This works on an SE with the standard keyboard.  I don't know if it's
documented anyplace; I worked this out by trial & error.

Bill Gobie
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Notre Dame
FMQDM9@UNDMAIL1  (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 20:30:53 pdt
From: palomar!joel%beowulf@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
Subject: Keyboard theories (V5 #108)

> In Volume 5 #108, Earle R. Horton wrote:
>The "=/*+" keys are SHIFTED, while the cursor keys are not.  That is,
>the "=/*+" return the shiftKey bit set in the modifier flags.  If you
>hold down the shift key and type one of the cursor keys, the application
>gets the keypad key, every time.  Shifted: keypad, unshifted: cursor.

>This was done because Apple was in such a rush to release the Mac Plus
>that they were willing to ship it with an un-fixable hardware bug that
>few people would notice, rather than do the job right.  This, to me,
>is an unacceptable business practice.

While I agree with the factual content, I take issue with the commentary.
Apple had to ship a keyboard that worked with a Mac 128, 512 and Plus,
and support the old keyboard on the Plus as well, so there were some
serious constraints on what could be done in hardware.  The shifted-keys,
while brain-damaged, perfectly emulate the numeric keypad on the old
512 (see MacTutor, 8/86)  Although this is the tail wagging the dog, the
lot was cast with the decision to provide an upgrade path for all the picky
512 owners and allow them to use either keyboard.

Incidentally, under System 4.1, Shift-arrows produce the keypad values
(as the ASCII numbers), but Command-Shift or Option-Shift come in
as the arrow values ($1C to $1F) with the appropriate modifiers set.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 87 09:37:54 -0400
From: Alan Dahlbom <adahlbom@CC4.BBN.COM>
Subject: Adobe Fonts

David Gelphman writes in Vol 5 Issue 108:

> Basically I've been
> trying to modify the Adobe screen fonts so that I can install them
> into the system file and have only one font name appear in the
> fonts menus for each font family. I've been reasonably successful
> in some cases and sometimes there are some severe problems.

There is a fairly easy way to do this that I picked up from a local BBS.
Here is what you do:

1. Open the font file with ResEdit.
2. Open the FOND type resources.
3. Rename all FOND resources except the FOND that has the family name.
   (e.g Rename Times-Bold but not Times) Rename them this way: Insert
   a '%' character before the name.
4. Close the FOND resource window.
5. Open the FONT resource entry with the **option** key
6. About 1 out of every 4 or 5 resources should have a name in the
   newly created window. Rename those that are not the family name as
   in step 3, by inserting '%' before the name. Don't rename the
   resource with the family name (e.g. Times).
7. Close everything up.
8. Install file with Font/DA Mover.

This works well with everything but Word 3.0, but is supposed to work
with Word 3.01.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 11:30:58 GMT
From: Paul Skuce <mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comt-ps@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Chooser 3.X

Does any one know why the Appletalk bit in the PRAM has changed in the 3.x
releases on the chooser. Using PRAM4.0 the last byte of VALID is 30hex for
appletalk off on the control panel setting and 31hex. With the 3.x chooser
it is 31hex for AT on and 32hex for it off. I know this is trival but my
corvus gives an error id10 if AT is off with the 3.x choosers. Why Apple
did things change????
Regards
   Paul Skuce
Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
        comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
        comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%..         From Eur
        comt-ps@hatfield.ac.uk                  JANET
        Thank God For Jesus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 87 15:04:30 PDT
From: andy maas <maas@portia.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: variable at $BAE

Can anyone tell me what location $BAE (on MacII) is for?
Where can I get the list of low memory globals including the ones MacII uses.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 20:14:31 pdt
From: Kevin R. Martin <martin@usc-cse.usc.edu>
Subject: Cards & Drivers manual?

Has anyone received an updated version of the Macintosh II and Macintosh
SE Cards & Drivers manual?  I have an early draft version that references
a non-existant Appendix A in two places: once on page 10-6 refering to
NuBus test card PAL equations, and again on page 11-11 refering to
sample configuration ROM code for the Mac-II video card.  Since I am
trying to build a video board to drive in house low resolution digital
monitors (and associated s/w drivers), this Appendix could be very
helpful to me!
Thanks.

email: martin@usc-cse.usc.edu
       (213)-648-9531

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jul 87 13:46:00 EDT
From: Greg H. Hamm <hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu>
Subject: How do you determine software version numbers?

System software (System, Finder, LaserWriter, etc., etc.) which comes
from Apple usually has a version number noted in the "Get Info" box.
Most such software delivered with other products (including that present
on my DataFrame when it was delivered) omits this information.

Two questions and one flame:

    1) How can one determine the version numbers when they are not
    present in the info box?

    2) Why on earth would a software (or hardware) manufacturer
    remove this information?  [I presume it takes a willful act to do
    so, since the info text is normally copied with the file.]

    **flame** Will all you manufacturers listening either explain
    why you take this seemingly irresponsible action, or stop?

Greg H. Hamm                              || Phone:  (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab ||
Waksman Institute/NJ CABM                 || BITNET: hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || ARPA:   hamm@biovax.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08854 * USA                ||

------------------------------

Date: 20 July 1987, 12:50:40 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: terminal emulators for the macintosh

   I don't know about the white pine software programs but I am a big
VersaTerm user. Regarding your points about VersaTerm:
a) Full VT100/VT102 support -- there may be something lacking in the
   emulation but the software I use doesn't use those features. Advanced
   Video blink may be missing but I've never run into any problems in
   my work environment.
b) Sliding windows Kermit is not in any version of VersaTerm that I am aware
   of. I also can use this and have suggested to Lonnie that he include such
   support.
c) XMODEM (MacTerminal 1.1) This has been supported for quite a while. Also
   included is MacBinary XMODEM which is handy for dialup services.
d) keypad menu  -- there is no keypad menu...personally I needed a keypad so
   badly that I bought one. I hated reaching for the mouse to generate the
   keypad characters. VersaTerm fully supports the keypad on ALL keyboards
   so the menu is unnecessary.
e) No VT240 emulation.

    To answer some of your other questions....YES it does color on the Mac II
in Tektronix 4105 mode. It supports color on the screen AND printing to the
ImageWriter II. As far as upgrades are concerned, this program is improved
regularly through reasonable ($10) updates. Lonnie regularly incorporates users
suggestions into the program and the updates are program improvements, not
bugfixes. As you can tell, I'm a satisfied customer.
   One point you didn't mention and I wasn't sure whether you knew about it
is the ability of VersaTerm Pro to save Tektronix graphics in PICT format.
I find that to be quite useful (in addition to the other stuff).
   Hope you find what you are looking for...
David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 15:44:53 IST
From: Ami Zakai <RPR1ZAK%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Summery - fast data acquisition with Mac II/SE

As I promised here is the summery of responces to my query about fast
data aqcuisition for the Mac II and Mac SE.  I want to thank for the help:
     Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
     Cal Teague     <CCT@SIERRA.STANFORD.EDU>
     Bruce Taylor   <BGT.WB@GEN.BITNET>

From national Instruments there are these new cards:

NB-MIO-6        multifunction analog, digital & timing I/O board.
                12-bit ADC, 16 channels, 111K samples/sec
                2 12-bit DAC, unipolar or bipolar outputs
                8 lines TTL I/O, up to 24mA sink
                3 16-bit counter/timers

NB-AO-6         6 DACs, each 4-20 mA or 2.5 V or 10 V
                up to 1 MHz sample rate

NB-DIO-32F      32-bit parallel digital I/O

NB-DIO-24       low cost 24-bit parallel digital I/O using 8255 PIA

NB-DMA-8        multifunction interface board
                DMA transfer
                RTSI board support
                IEEE-488 interface, up to 1 Mbyte/sec

RTSI            Real-Time System Integration
                custom high speed bus and crossbar switch, interrupts, etc.

CERN has developed interfaces for the complete Macintosh family
which allow data acquisition at well over 100 Kbytes/sec.
The system is called MacVEE (Microcomputer Applied to the Control
of VME Electronic Equipment), and it provides direct access to
single or multi-crate VMEbus or CAMAC systems from the Macintosh,
Macintosh Enhanced, Macintosh Plus or Macintosh SE.

The MacVEE interface for Macintosh II (MICRON - MacVEE Interface Card
Resident On NuBus) is currently being polished for production and
should be available 4Q/87.  It is compatible with the same VMEbus
master module and CAMAC crate controller as the earlier systems.
Installation is easier, because MICRON simply plugs into a NuBus slot
in Mac II.
                            ****
Disclaimer: I have no comercial relation with any of the above.

'now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same
place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run atleast twice as fast
as that.'  /TtLG

------------------------------

Date: 22 July 1987 0202-PDT (Wednesday)
From: melmoy@nprdc.arpa (Mel Moy)
Subject: Prototyping software for Macintosh

Is there any software that will provide a prototyping facility on
the Macintosh in a fashion similar to the way that Dan Bricklin's
Demo program does for the IBM?  My goal is to construct displays
and interface examples which play to the strength of the user
dialogues possible in the Mac environment.

Melvyn C. Moy
melmoy@nprdc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 87 09:54:02 PDT
From: Lionel_Tolan%SFU.Mailnet@umix.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Site Licences etc.

I have two requests for information regarding Macintosh
software in use on University campuses.

1. I am trying to gather information about Macintosh software
   which is available on a site licence basis.  If you have
   any site licenced software in use at your campus please
   send me a message with the name of the package, the
   suppliers name and address, and any comments you think
   appropriate.

2. I am looking for a word processing package which would be
   available for general distribution on campus.  This could
   be public domain, shareware, or site licenced.  The main
   thing is that it could be handed out in class for use on
   machines distributed around campus without the instructor
   or the university violating copyright.  We have a site
   licence for PCWrite on the MS-DOS machines and it fulfills
   our requirement very well and makes software distribution
   and monitoring much easier.  I would appreciate any
   information you have about what's good and what's not and
   if you have an extra 5 minutes to drop me a line I'd
   appreciate comments on how you handle these issues on your
   campus.

In order to lighten the load for the moderator send responses
directly to me.  I'll collect the responses and send a biggie
(I hope).  Thanks in advance for your time on this.

USERLION@SFU.BITNET    or    LIONEL_TOLAN%SFU@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 87 09:18:32 EDT
From: Jerry_McCarty@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Re: Phospors, Smoked video screen

> Date: 22 Jun 87 07:55:00 EST
> From: "ERI::SMITH" <smith%eri.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Phospors

>Following up on a recent question, I'd like to start a discussion on phosphors
>because questions keep coming up ...

> ...No numeric data on persistence and decay is given.

This may help somewhat:

  Persistence            Time to decay to
                         10% of initial brightness

  Very Long              1 Second and Over
  Long                   100 milliSeconds to 1 Second
  Medium                 1 milliSecond to 100 milliSecond
  Medium Short           10 microSeconds to 1 milliSecond
  Short                  1 microSecond to 10 microSeconds
  Very Short             Less than 1 microSecond

Source: RCA Storage Tubes and Cathode Ray Tubes STC-900B
        Dated Nov. 1966 (In other words, don't throw out the old stuff)

They cite the same JEDEC Publication for their reference.

> In general, CRT screens show obvious, gross departures from any kind of
> simple exponential decay model.  At the very least many screens show an
> "afterglow."  A Mac screen, for example, obviously has some decay on the
> order of 1/20 second, but also has an afterglow that lasts for minutes.

For your information, the official term for when the phosphor is
excited is called 'flourescence' and the afterglow is
'phosphorescence'. That may or may not help if you pursue the matter
any further.

> was drifting; it turned out that with the kind of measurement they were
> making, they were able to detect phosphor aging as they watched.  (They were
> using an unscanned dot; current density was high, but NOT at a level that
> would startle any experienced CRT user.  There was NO visible burning of
> the screen.  Just that the output from the dot would slowly, slowly, but
> measurably keep s-a-a-a-a-a-g-i-n-g--and whenever they moved the dot slightly
> to a fresh place it would recover).

Beware: If the CRT under test has a shadow mask or an aperture grille
or whatever term is applied to the particular unit, it can and will
deform under high beam currents causing the effect you described. Some
night while you are home watching your favorite Clint Eastwood movie,
look for a large, high brightness scene (as compared to the rest of the
picture). After about a half a minute or so you can start to see some
color contamination in the white areas. This is not a phosphor problem.
It is the mask moving slightly resulting in the purity changing. Seems
to me that TV sets are more prone to this now than they used to be (15
years ago it was grounds for warranty replacement of the CRT. Not any
more) and that the larger screen sizes are more prone than the smaller
ones.

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 17:24 CDT
> From: TILLEY%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> Subject: Smoked video board

> While downloading a large hqx file, my screen narrowed, funny interlacing
> and overlapping LARGE characters appeared and smoke poured out the top
> left of my 1984 stock fat mac (normally left on).
>
> I removed an obviously burnt capacitor (C1 25V 3.9uF bipolar) and
> temporarily tacked in an approximate replacement. Powered on and
> screen was perfect. This was too easy.

Your assumption that the replacement was 'approximate' may be off.
I do not know the function of the capacitor which burnt, however, in some
television sets some of the capacitors are exposed to abnormally high currents
which cause them to overheat. The ones used are special low-dissipation
versions which are built to handle the higher currents. Replacing a
low-dissipation version with an ordinary capacitor will cause overheating and
early failure of the replacement. My suggestion would be to try and match a
replacement based on make/model numbers off the original part. The other
suggestion would be to call up your local TV shop, play dumb and ask for his
advice on finding a replacement since I think may of these are available only
from the original manufacturer.

> Powered off, shorted CRT anode to chassis (a bad thing??) and permently

Probably is a bad thing to discharge the anode to ground. Since there is
usually a zillion volts or so on the anode, discharging to chassis could be
catastrophic when considering that no ground connection is perfect. Even a few
milliOhms of resistance could produce a rather large voltage differential
(large in reference to the operating voltages of the IC's) across the ground
planes which in turn could exceed the maximum safe levels of the IC's. It has
been my experience that waiting a period of time (10-15 minutes) is sufficient
to have the anode discharge by itself through the reverse leakage of the HV
rectifier. This will NOT bring the voltage down to 0! It will bring it low
enough so that any subsequent discharge will be at a much lower voltage. The
other thing to keep in mind is that it would be preferrable to discharge to the
outer conductive coating of the CRT rather that the chassis. Better yet,
disconnect the chassis completely before trying to discharge. (I know, easier
said than done)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 20:30:58 pdt
From: palomar!joel%beowulf@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
Subject: Mac II video

With the Apple RGB monitor delayed indefinitely, the preferred
monitor is the Sony Multiscan, model CPD 1302.  It's available
from discount dealers for less than $600, and most of the color
monitors you'll see at Macworld will probably be this one.

Its color fidelity and resolution seems as good as the Apple prototypes.
The only problem I've heard reported so far (from 4 sites I know using it)
is inadequate shielding against hard disk RF during disk seeks, which
can sometimes be cured by moving the monitor or disk.

Other alternatives include SuperMac's new 19" 800x1000 Sony monitor,
which has a comparable quality; or their earlier big screen monitor,
which is not as good as the Apple or the SuperMac Sony.

I'm personally using a NEC Multisync JC-1401P3A, which has a poorer
resolution and lousy hues, but was available on rental cheap while
I wait for my Apple monitor.  This is how I hooked it up:

SETTINGS:  Analog/TTL: Analog

                CABLE
NEC DE9 Description     Apple video card ("DB-15")
1       Red             2 Red
2       Green           5 Green
3       Blue            9 Blue
4       Composite Sync  3 CSync
5       V. Sync         N/C or 1 Ground
6,7,8,9 Ground          1 Ground

There's nothing magic about the cable; if you have an analog RGB monitor
all you have to do is read the manual to find the pins for the R,G,B and
ground lines (the sync may be optional; I haven't tried it without it...)

Hope this helps.

    Joel West                               ihnp4!gould9!palomar!joel
    Palomar Software, Inc.         joel%palomar.UUCP@beowulf.ucsd.edu
    P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083              joel@palomar.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 87 10:33 EST
From: "RCSDY::YOUNG%gmr.com"@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Mac II and color monitors

At the present time, the Apple [Sony] Color Monitor for the Mac II is
not yet available.  Since the Mac II generates 66.7 Hz vertical, most
monitors won't work.   The 35 KHz horizontal is also fast but many
existing color monitors do accept that rate.  I tried a host of very
expensive and high quality color monitors without success...they all liked
to lock at 60 Hz and would not sync to the Mac II despite their willingness
to accept 50 MHz input in analog form.

I have now discovered the NEC MultiSync monitors work fine with the Mac II.
I am using the model JC-1401P3A which is spec'd to work from 56-62 Hz
vertical.  However, it works just fine at the 66.7 Hz rate anyway.  Note
that this model is NOT one of the new [and more expensive] MultiSync
monitors.  It the kind commonly being used for IBM PC/ATs.

I believe any of the MultiSnyc monitors will work with the Mac II.  At the
present, connectors are a problem because Mac II is different from the NEC
which is different from Sony which is different from...   I found a good
source for oddball connectors (Cables To Go, 1-800-826-7904)

Connectors:

  Mac II (DB-15)

       ------------------------------     4:G  5: ground
       \   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   /     7:R  8: ground
        \    9 10 11 12 13 14 15   /      15:B 13: ground
         --------------------------        (note: Green carries composite Sync)

  NEC MultiSync (DB-9)

           ----------------     1:R, 2:G, 3:B
           \  1 2 3 4 5   /     4,5: not used
            \  6 7 8 9   /      6,7,8,9 ground
             ------------

Steve Holland
GM Research Labs
[holland%gmr.com@csnet-relay.csnet]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 87 16:28:42 CDT
From: Paul Fons <FONS%UIUCVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac II Hard Drives

Hi, I had a question for this group.  I just bought a Mac II at the
University of Illinois and am wanting now to get a hard drive.  I didn't
buy the apple drive as it is rather expensive I thought (and I have to
add 6.5% sales tax to it besides here in Illinois).  I wanted to ask for
any recommedations for cheap 20-30 MB hard drives (internal or external SCSI)
that would be appropriate for the Mac II.  Please feel free to mail notes
to me at the address above directly.  I am contemplating a Warp-9 20 MB
hard drive at the moment, but only because it was just about the cheapest
thing I can find (my wife is putting her foot down about how much more money
I can spend on my Mac!).  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 87 12:56:24 EDT
From: Steve Buyske <ST401266%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Comparisons of Mac II internal HD with externals?

    Does anyone know of a comparison of the Mac II internal drive with
various external drives hooked up to the Mac II?  I'm particularly interested
in the Jasmine 40meg drive, which costs about the same as the Apple
40meg internal with educational discounts.

Steve Buyske
ST401266 at BROWNVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 20 July 1987, 13:05:41 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: Re: DataFrame 40 XP vs internal Mac II hard drive

    InfoWorld did some timing tests and determined that (for their tests
at least) the Apple Mac II internal 40 MB drive was even FASTER than the
DataFrame 40 XP. I'm not clear how valid this test is because disk i/o
is processor bound on the Mac and I suspect their numbers for the XP are
on a standard Mac, not the Mac II.
   I've been using an XP 40 on my Mac II and it is VERY fast. I've also
seen an internal 40 MB drive from Apple that appeared to be a bit faster.
As usual, you really need to set the disks up with the same contents and
fragmentation to see for real. I'll try to give a summary when Apple finally
delivers my internal 40 MB drive.

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 87 12:34:20 EDT
From: <meltsner@athena.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Screeching drives

We had the same problem, except since the room was climate-controlled,
it was a constant headache.  When we called MD Ideas, the technician
said, "Oh, I can just shoot some WD40 on it."  We shipped it back, and
got a brand new drive, luckily.

The origin of the noise is friction and chatter between a pad on the
underside of the antistatic arm and the end of the drive spindle.
We've found on our our Vaxstations that the arm can indeed have a bit
of WD40 dripped on the contact pad and spindle end and the noise goes
away.  We also tried 3-in-1, but that only worked for about 3 weeks.
DON'T SPRAY into your drive -- we sprayed the WD40 onto a swab so that
we could control where it went.

Personally, I figure since manufacturers aren't making many drives with
the antistatic arm anymore, it may not be necessary, but I'd rather use some
WD40 every couple of months than rip up an otherwise perfectly good drive.

Disclaimer: Any of the above techniques are dangerous to you or your
drive, and don't blaim me or MIT if something goes wrong!

Ken

End of INFO-MAC Digest