[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #37

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (08/09/87)

Date: Sun 9 Aug 87 08:39:02-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #37
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Sunday, August 9, 1987         Volume 3 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
     Mac II monitors
     RE: Mac II Color Monitors
     It's Greek to me... (2 messages)
     800K drive problems (4 messages)
     Object-oriented C (3 messages)
     Segment Loader problem (3 messages)
     Mac II Color Monitors (2 messages)
     HardDrive Woes and Wins.
     RAM upgrades and accelerators
     Word 3.01 bug
     Used ImageWriters (2 messages)
     User Group Connection party at Expo
     1MB SIMMs
     printer driver example
     Netter's Dinner

From: ASMCOR
Subject: Mac II monitors
Date: 1-AUG-14:32: Hardware & Peripherals

I bought a Sony CPD-1302 monitor a month or so ago, for my Mac II, and
ever since I've been wondering if I should have had a bit more patience
and waited for the Apple monitor. I just got ahold of a real, live Apple
RGB and put it side-by-side with my 1302. Here's what I saw:

1. The Sony has a non-glare screen, the Apple doesn't. In fact, the
Apple has a very glossy screen that reflects everything in the room. As
they say in the dishwashing commercials "I can see myself." 2. The hues
and color saturation are virtually identical (it IS the same picture
tube, although you have to adjust the pincushion control on the Sony to
get the edges straight), but the non-glare screen on the Sony makes
things look slightly darker. This can be compensated for with the
brightness control. Also, in a darkened room, if you move your head back
and forth you can see the non-glare grating if you look for it. 3. Text
appears sharper on the Sony. Again, I think it's because of the
non-glare screen, but it's definitely a bit sharper. 4. The Apple has a
built-in degausser. You might need it once a year, you might never need
it. You can have any TV technician degauss your screen if it needs it,
anyway. 5. The Apple has two convergence controls (H and V) and the Sony
has one. They both have width, height and centering controls. Selecting
the convergence test in the Control panel showed that they both have a
slight offset in the blue at 256 colors. The test looked identical to me
on both monitors. 6. The Apple matches the Mac II. The Sony is a darker
gray, but still looks good. 7. The Apple works only with the Mac II as
far as I know, but the Sony will work with quite a few other computers
as well (it has both digital and analog inputs). 8. The Apple has a
90-day warranty, and lists for $999. The Sony has a 1-year warranty on
parts and labor, and two years on the picture tube. It lists for $975, I
bought mine in Boston for $775 and I've heard of folks getting them in
New York for $600.

  My conclusion? They're both fine monitors. The Sony is more flexible,
has a non-glare screen and a better warranty, and you can undoubtedly
get it cheaper. I'm happy with my choice.
  Jan

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: RE: Mac II Color Monitors (Re: Msg 21749)
Date: 8-AUG-01:00: Hardware & Peripherals

New Trade-In Program for Macintosh II Color Monitors

Cupertino, California.  August 3, 1987.  Apple Computer, Inc. today
announced a program that allows customers to exchange an Apple Macintosh
II monochrome monitor purchased by October 31, 1987 for a color monitor
purchased during the first quarter of 1988.  The new policy is a
response to the greater than anticipated demand and the slower than
expected availability of the new AppleColor High-Resolution RGB
monitors.

Under the policy, Apple will offer customers the opportunity to exchange
an Apple High-Resolution Monochrome Monitor purchased before October 31,
1987 for full credit towards the purchase of an AppleColor High
Resolution RGB Monitor. The monochrome monitor can be returned to an
Apple-authorized dealer between January 1, 1988 and March 31, 1988 to
receive full credit towards the purchase of the color monitor.

"Customer satisfaction is one of Apple's top priorities,"  said Charles
Berger, vice president market development for Apple.  "Because the
demand for the Macintosh II color system is exceeding supply we've taken
these steps to give people the opportunity to use their Macintosh II
systems right now and have full color when the monitors become available
at no cost.  In the meantime we are manufacturing the RGB monitor as
quickly as we can and expect to have full supply this fall."

[from AppleLink]

------------------------------

From: HECKENDORN
Subject: It's Greek to me...
Date: 3-AUG-02:59: Creative Pursuits

Does anybody know of a laser font which has a complete set of Greek
letters, but which does not screw up leading (i.e., spaces between
lines) in Word, PageMaker, etc. (except MacWrite in 6 lines/in. mode),
as do Symbol and Princeton Laser font?  I've seen a few Greek fonts
mentioned in various software compilation catalogs, but it's important
that I can use a 9 pt. character which does not behave like a 12 pt.
Any suggestions will be gratefully acknowledged (and word about them
spread far and wide to others who I know are interested).  Thanks, all.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: It's Greek to me... (Re: Msg 21634)
Date: 3-AUG-18:43: Creative Pursuits

The fix for Symbol is to get the latest screen version from Adobe ($50
for the full LaserWriter Plus set.)

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: RICFORD
Subject: 800K drive problems
Date: 3-AUG-21:24: Hardware & Peripherals

Here's a story and some advice... I put one of those yellow disk
"protectors" in my SE internal floppy drive, and went for a drive with
the Mac. It was well cushioned as usual.  At the destination, I booted
and the yellow thing jammed. I couldn't get it out no matter what I
tried (short of destroying the whole works). It also wouldn't go back
in.  It was in right side up, by the way...

Back home a couple of days later, I've disassembled the SE and the
drive. I don't see any way the "protector" could help tkeep the heads
from hitting each other. They're a good half inch apart, with no way to
contact each other. The protector seems more likely to cause trouble
than to prevent it!

My advice is to avoid the blasted things - I threw mine in the trash -
and if you feel the need to do something, put a real (blank) floppy disk
in the drive for travelling. (It doesn't seem at all necessary).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: 800K drive problems (Re: Msg 21646)
Date: 4-AUG-09:06: Hardware & Peripherals

Peabo reminded me that I was wrong about the carrying bag static in a
previous "warning" message, so I thought it best to clarify this floppy-
protector warning a bit...

I eventually fixed the drive, after completely disassembling it and
tweaking this and that a lot. After re-assembly, it worked, but
sluggishly. I took it apart again and found that a pin was jamming a
little still. It was a pin I'd bent a bit, and it seems to be a crucial
part of the mechanism. It's the thing that engages the semi-circular
cutout in the bottom of the floppy underneath the arrow on the other
side. If the disk feels tight and sluggish going in or out, this pin may
be pushing too hard on the side of the disk before it engages the
cutout.

Anyway, the problem may have been caused originally by my inserting the
protector upside down, partway in, before I realized and removed it. It
didn't seem I'd done it forcefully at all, but maybe enough. I think
this is the main danger of the yellow protectors, and it might be good
to write "This side Up" on the top of it and "X" on the bottom.

Any Sony/floppy disk experts out there who think this thing really helps
prevent some problem in normal transportation?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DEDHED
Subject: RE: 800K drive problems (Re: Msg 21660)
Date: 8-AUG-11:18: Hardware & Peripherals

Ric,

The yellow plastic "disk" which is shipped in the Sony drives is meant
to protect the drive heads from contacting each other during shipping.
If you look through your drive slot (possibly with a penlight), you'll
notice that the heads in an empty drive are seperated by quite some
distance. It's reasonable to assume that unless a good shock causes the
drive mechanism to close (as if a disk were inserted), the heads are in
no trouble.  If you notice your Mac running the disk eject motors when
you power on (sepecially after travelling with the Mac) you may want to
use the protector, if not, it would probably cause more harm than good,
since the heads are always in contact with the plastic when it is
inserted.

Mike

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: 800K drive problems (Re: Msg 21773)
Date: 8-AUG-11:31: Hardware & Peripherals

Mike,

Thanks for the observations. I guess it's still safest to put the
protector in, to prevent exactly what you describe, where the mechanism
sort of "closes" letting the heads crash together. I'm upset at having
the protector jam suddenly, but I've heard of the same thing happening
to other people with floppy disks themselves. I've had 2 other 800K
floppy drives fail completely and without warning, but both times the
floppy disk was released after first getting stuck.

I'm convinced that these drives are overly delicate, and I never slam
disks in or out.  Sure hope the 1.6MB floppies aren't even worse! Ever
since losing my only 800K drive in a Mac Plus the week after the
warranty ran out, I've kept a spare external drive on hand. Now, with a
two-floppy SE, I'm not sure what to do. Put a protector in one drive and
not the other??

:-(

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Object-oriented C
Date: 3-AUG-21:13: Tools for Developers

At SIGGraph, I spoke with PPI, which was showing an object-oriented
environment for Unix.  I asked them about their Macintosh C, and they
said something about they'd look at it when A/UX comes out.  I tried to
convey my disappointment, and just wrote a letter to Jeff Burnett, VP of
Marketing at PPI, expressing my interest in a _Macintosh_ C compiler.
If you're interested, I suggest you do the same.  (Apple is rumoured to
be doing something, but I was disappointed in MPW C.)
 Productivity Products International, Inc.
 Rocky Glen Mill
 75 Glen Rd
 Sandy Hook, CT   06482
 (203) 426-1875

------------------------------

From: RANDOM
Subject: RE: Object-oriented C (Re: Msg 1950)
Date: 4-AUG-03:54: Tools for Developers

Yes, PPI seems pretty down on producing anything that runs directly on a
Mac. If it is any consolation, Apple seems to be commited now to
producing a C++ for MPW (not a subset, complete C++), beta version being
available by the end of this year. They announced this in the MacApp
Developer's Newsletter, so it appears to be definite. - Dennis D.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Object-oriented C (Re: Msg 1953)
Date: 4-AUG-11:57: Tools for Developers

Any idea how they are going to resolve the difference between C++ using
pointers and the Mac using Handles?  I count that as the number one
stumbling block ...

peter

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: Segment Loader problem
Date: 3-AUG-21:55: Programming Techniques

I have a program that can open other programs.  The problem is that when
the Segment Loader calls LoadSeg it may very well load the CODE segment
of the other

program and not mine (makes for interesting bugs.)

Now, I can do one of three things:

       1. Patch LoadSeg to set/reset the current resource file to be *my*
           \program.
       2. Put protective code around every inter-segment call in my
          program to do the above.
       3. Figure out some way to make the CODE segments of the other
	  program "invisible" to LoadSeg and the Resource Manager.

The problem with (1) is that LoadSeg itself may be patched in the funny
manner described in "How to Write Macintosh Software."  This patch would
seem pretty System file specific to me (besides, I haven't figured out
the "proper" way to do it with MPW C anyway.)  With (2) I have to change
LOTS of source code and it seems like there would be a lot of
unnecessary resource file changing.  That leaves me with (3).  Any
ideas?  I tried RmveResource on all the CODE resources with
SetResFileAttrs as mapReadOnly.  This didn't work *and* it still munged
the other program (just try running a program with no CODE resources
;->)

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Segment Loader problem (Re: Msg 1951)
Date: 3-AUG-23:15: Programming Techniques

You haven't said what it is you want to have the other application open
for. Could you get away with changing the current resource file back to
your own file right after opening the other one and then change it back
and forth when you need access to the other file's resources?  True,
it's still a lot of messing around with the current resource file, but
at least you wouldn't have to do it around intersegment calls where it's
no easy to forget to be careful (or so difficult to know you're about to
get surprised).

peter

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Segment Loader problem (Re: Msg 1952)
Date: 4-AUG-08:33: Programming Techniques

Yes and no.  It's a bit trickier than that.  The situation could be as
follows:

The System RF (Resource File/Fork) is file #1, my RF is #2.  I open the
printer which becomes #3.  So now the topmost resource file is #3.  I
open the APPL and that becomes #4.  Still so far so good.  Now the user
goes ahead and switches printers on me with the Chooser.  This closes #3
and opens #5.  So, if I set my top RF to be the printer I still get the
APPL.  If I set it to me then printing doesn't work! (BTW, unless I
checked which printer was active constantly the user could switch
printers out from under me and I would never know it!  Nothing *forces*
the user to choose Page Setup where I "see" that the printer changed on
me.)

To bad I can't "order" the RF's in the order I want searched :-(.  I
guess what I may wind up doing is just opening and closing the APPL RF
as I need it and be careful of not using intersegment calls while it is
open.

                                               Jeff

[ I eventually opted for the "protective UseResFile" approach. - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: Mac II Color Monitors
Date: 3-AUG-23:36: Hardware & Peripherals

My Mac II color monitor just arrived from Apple today!!  Its much much
nicer than the prototype I had been using the past few months; the
colors are brighter and the display is more crisp.  Also much better
than the NEC MultiSync.  Only complaint I have is that there appears to
be a pixel that is permanently on in the screen.  Does anyone know if
this can be fixed?  I've tried the obvious, such as degausing and wiping
the screen.

Its kinda sad that after waiting so long and paying so much money that
the monitor would have such a defect.  I personally know of 2 other
monitors with a similar problem.  Funny, the prototype didn't have this
problem...

Paul :(

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: Mac II Color Monitors (Re: Msg 21657)
Date: 4-AUG-00:47: Hardware & Peripherals

Hey!  I got that too!  Mine's next to the Apple menu and I have the
Sony.... How uterly odd, eh?  I do have a one year warranty though...
Heh heh...

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: HardDrive Woes and Wins.
Date: 4-AUG-00:57: Hardware & Peripherals

So here I am hacking around with my Mac/DF 20 when all of a sudden, I
notice my Games folder is missing!  Major panic we're talking...  I am
in the middle of about 4 different adventure games and don't think I
want to start them all again... So I calls up Ric, and he says to me...
He says Josh... DiskFirst Aid and I say, oh, ok... So I runs it on my
DF20 and it goes through its:

checking this and checking that (after hitting command-s) and finally
comes to 'Checking Catalog File' where the next line reads 'Scavenging
Terminator'. I had repair auto on but it would just stop and come back
with a 'Unable to verify status of disk ' blurb.  Ah, the strange thing
was that DAs could find some of these files but would hang upon touching
em.  The finder drew a blank.  So what's a guy like me to do?
MacZapRecover.  What a super little utility!  I managed to recover all
the files I could find with no problem.  Very slick with many ooptions
for the novice and expert.  I know I sound like an ad but to think that
these were only game files!

Now a question... anyone know what would cause this?  The files were
def. some- where on the disk because I didn't regain any space when the
folder disapeared. Now I am almost out of room because of the recovery
so tomorrow am it's time for the oh so fun backup.  Then re-init and I
should find about 5 megs...

I am using tops but find it hard to believe this would cause such a
dis-] associated problem.... Anyone experience this type of problem and
what did you do?

Josh

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RAM upgrades and accelerators
Date: 4-AUG-10:37: Hardware & Peripherals

More hardware hacking... I had two 1MB SIMMs from MacMemory in a Mac
Plus and wanted to put them into the SE, along with a Radius
Accelerator. These are non-surface mount chips, but not excessively
large. Anyway, it's *just barely* possible. They're in and working, but
the tolerances were so tight I had to put a piece of tape on the SIMMs
as electrical insulation between the accelerator and the capacitor leads
on the SIMMs. Also, screwing down the Accelerator tightly would have put
a nasty strain on the SIMMs and/or the Accelerator board.

So, be sure you get the tiniest possible 1MB SIMMs for compatibility
with the Radius - surface-mount is probably the way to go (and probably
more expensive).

(I also noticed that the speed of the 1MB SIMMs was "12" or 120nanosec.,
compatible with the Mac II. All 256KB SIMMs in two Mac SEs and one Mac
Plus were 150ns rated.)

Ric

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: Word 3.01 bug
Date: 6-AUG-22:14: Bugs & Features

Word 3.01 apparently thinks that page 1 is the first page of the
document - even when it isn't.  When printing on a LaserWriter with the
back to front option selected, printing stops after the first pages of
the last section with the restart page numbering option selected.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Used ImageWriters
Date: 7-AUG-10:55: Business Mac

With prices coming down on Macs and people selling used ones to upgrade
to Mac IIs and SEs, it's finally reached the point where some less
affluent people can afford one. But one of the toughest parts of putting
together a system at a low cost is the expense of the printer. The
Boston Computer Exchangehas only one used ImageWriter I for $300. Is
that the going rate? Has anyone used the cheap "clone" advertised in
Icon Review? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: RE: Used ImageWriters (Re: Msg 21741)
Date: 8-AUG-00:59: Business Mac

Ric -

One of my consulting clients tried out the cheap Panasonic IW clone. It
is small, very slow, and pretty clunky.  I wouldn't recommend it.

The ImageWriter II has been made more reliable in the last year, and
might now be recommendable - the paper feed mechanism in particular has
been improved.

-- Raines / Team BMUG

------------------------------

From: BMUG
Subject: User Group Connection party at Expo
Date: 8-AUG-01:02: MUGS Online

MUG REPS: You're Invited...

.. to the USER GROUP CONNECTION PARTY at MacWorld Expo/Boston!

 What: Drinks, desserts, and plenty of inter-MUG communication!
 When: 9:30 PM - 12:30 AM, Tuesday, August 11th.
 Where: Marriott Long Wharf ballroom, Boston, MA [conveniently near to most
       other parties that night]

Sponsored by:

 Apple Computer's User Group connection program
 Berkeley Macintosh Users Group
 Boston Computer Society
 ICONtact Mac Users Group on Delphi
 GEnie
 MacWorld magazine

With assistance from:
 Yale MUG
 Madison MUG
 and others... (Can you help us cover our costs?  please let us know!)

To pick up an invitation:

Stop by the BMUG or BCS booths at the show!

See you there!

-- Raines Cohen
   Team BMUG
   AppleLink: UG0001
   CompuServe: 70007,2271
   Delphi,BIX,the Well,MCI Mail,GEnie: BMUG

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: 1MB SIMMs
Date: 8-AUG-11:25: Hardware & Peripherals

I got a look at some Dove 1MB SIMMs last night, the first chance I'd had.
Although they didn't seem to be the surface-mount type, they were low-profile,
mounted lower than the MacMemory non-surface mount ones. Also, they didn't
have the extra "lip" of circuit board with capacitors that the MacMemory
ones do, and so the Dove's would fit better with add-on boards. I didn't
understand the markings well enough to tell who manufactured the chips, all
I could see was a "T" preceding some other designations.

Ric

------------------------------

From: METASOFTWARE
Subject: printer driver example
Date: 8-AUG-22:55: Programming Techniques

has anyone got a short sample of printer driver code they've written, preferably
in 'C' lying around? i've got a work dog of a printer (TRS Daisy Wheel II) which
won't quit, but no one has any interfaces. a little printer driver code will get
me going (who's got time for this....). thanks.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD
Subject: Netter's Dinner (Re: Msg 21743)
Date: 7-AUG-15:45: SIG Business

Joel West, Peabo, I and others have been working to come up with the
best compromise time and place for the semi-annual "netter's dinner."
Here it is:

5:30 pm on Wednesday 8/12 at the Royal East restaurant, 790 Main St. in
Cambridge. (617-661-1660). The reservation is in my name, "FORD."

The location is midway between Central Square and Kendall Square (M.I.T.), both
stops on the red line subway route.  The red line also stops at the Bayside
expo center (fare is $.60, you need to buy tokens). You can walk from either
Central or Kendall to the restaurant and also to M.I.T.

The timing is such that people who attend the dinner will be able to go
afterwards to the B.C.S. MacTechGrp meeting at M.I.T.'s Sloan School of
management near Kendall Sq.

The Royal East, by the way, is a Chinese restaurant with reasonable prices
and (if today is an indication) good food.

Ric Ford

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------