[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #113

INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (09/05/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Saturday, 5 Sep 1987     Volume 5 : Issue 113

Today's Topics:
                        snd resources for Mac II
               here comes FastEddie 3.1 Shareware release
                           Inside Mac DA, FKEY
                            Pseudo PostScript
                                PseudoPS
                              MultiCounter
                               PictDisplay
                                 Mesmer
                                PopTrack
                              Directory 1.0
                             Powerstation/E
                              Monopoly v4.0
                    File Catalog Example (HyperCard)
                           STACKWARE DETECTIVE
                     Ball & Stick - new version 0.94
                                PostMatic
                            FKey Manager 2.5
                              ResTools 2.0
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #39

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 87 22:16:08 PDT
From: grayson@cartan.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Grayson)
Subject: snd resources for Mac II

Dear Moderator,
I have received several requests to post the enclosed BeepSounds
which are configured as 'snd ' resources. If these resources are
pasted into a System 4.1 file, then a Mac II has access to them as
SysBeeps via the control panel.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>CDEV-SND-RESOURCES.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 21 Jul 87 13:29:26-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: here comes FastEddie 3.1 Shareware release

FastEddie 3.1 has been released by Cottage Software as "AdWare" (as they like
to call it) without the restrictions of earlier demo-versions which were
limited to handle small files only.  They call it AdWare because a window comes
up every so often which advertises Cottage Software.

this file contains the executable program; documentation and support files
follow separately.

there is one known bug which has so far withstood all attempts to kill it, and
rather than letting you discover and report it, I had encouraged CS to do a
little write-up describing it - which follows:

FastEddie3.1 Has a TeClick bug when used with a Mac launched with Finder
5.5/System 4.1.  TeClick treats the tabs as if they were one character wide.
As a result, clicking on a line with preceeding tabs sets the insertion pointer
to the right of the I-Beam.

To avoid this problem start or restart the Mac with Finder5.3/System3.2.  You
may then (if you choose) launch Finder 5.5/System 4.1.  FastEddie3.1 should
work just fine.  Alternately use FastEddie with "tabs create spaces" (see
options menu I the one headed by available memory).

Apparently Finder5.5/System4.1 patches TeClick in some way which interferes
with FastEddie's hard tab facility.

Any suggestion which leads to a fix of this problem will be greatly
appreciated.  The purpetrator of the solution will, of course, receive a copy
of the newest FastEddie.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-FASTEDDIE-31.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-FASTEDDIE-31-DOCUMENTATION.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 09:47 EST
From: STERRITT%SDEVAX.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Inside Mac DA, FKEY

Hello,
        After posting my LineFeedify program, a request poured in asking
me for the Inside-Mac DA; the person couldn't find it in the archives (which
surprised me -- I thought fer sure I'd seen it on Info-Mac first!)
        Inside-Mac is an online reference of all the calls in Inside Mac,
arranged by Manager.  There are two list windows, one with the managers,
and one with all the calls that are in that manager.  Choosing a manager,
then double-clicking on a call brings up the pascal declaration of that
call, so you can see what the arguments are.  You can copy the whole interface,
or just the important parts to the clipboard to paste into your programs.
It's very useful!
        There are actually two versions of the database; the short one contains
just the procedure interfaces, and the long one contains that and a good
description of the procedure, what it expects and returns, etc.  This posting
contains only the short database, as the long one is about 400k (and I don't
have a hard disk).  If someone else has the long version, and can upload
it, I'm sure all the hard-disk hackers would be very appreciative.  Hey,
I may even do it myself if I get the time.
        This file is a packit file contiaing the DA, its documentation,
and an FKEY that brings it up.  I'll send the (short) manual and its index
in three files.
        Final note: you must have the 128k roms to use this.
        Enjoy,
        chris sterritt
        Sterritt%Sdevax.decnet@ge-crd.arpa      (on arpanet)
        C.Sterritt                              (on GEnie)

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INSIDE-MAC-DA-FKEY.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INSIDE-MAC-MANUAL-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INSIDE-MAC-MANUAL-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INSIDE-MAC-MANUAL-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 22 Jul 87 19:18:17-PDT
From: Craig Rasmussen <CER@STAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Pseudo PostScript

From time to time there has been a desire expressed for a PostScript
interpreter that would run on Macintosh.  I recently had a graphics project
that I wanted to display on my Mac and PostScript seemed to be the best
vehicle.  Inorder to complete the project I wrote an interpreter which treats
a very limited subset of the PostScript language.  The subset includes:
moveto, rmoveto, lineto, rlineto, arc, translate, scale, setlinewidth,
setgray, newpath, closepath, fill, stroke, scalefont, and show.  If anyone is
interested in the program or in the source code (LSC) please let me know.  If
there is enough interest I will post a binhex file.

One question I have after trying to implement the PostScript rotate command,
is, why doesn't QuickDraw have a rotation operator.  My guess would be that
rotation needs floating point and would therefore be too slow.  However, with
the Mac II and floating point processors this need not be a limitation.  Does
anyone know if Apple has plans to add rotation to QuickDraw?

------------------------------

Date: Sun 30 Aug 87 18:31:37-PDT
From: Craig Rasmussen <CER@STAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: PseudoPS

I posted a note a while ago about the availability of a small PostScript
interpreter which runs on Macintosh.  This program reads PostScript from a
text file and displays the graphics on the Macintosh screen.  I wasn't sure if
it would be useful to anyone so I did not publish the code at that time.
However, from the large number of mail messages I have received, it seems that
it might be useful after all.  Thus, I'm sending a BinHex version of the
program to info-mac.  The BinHex file includes the program PseudoPS (v0.5), a
short helpfile, and the LightSpeed C code.  Beware that PseudoPS only parses a
small subset of the PostScript language and it has not been extensively
debugged.

The PostScript subset includes: moveto, rmoveto, lineto, rlineto, arc,
translate, scale, setlinewidth, setgray, newpath, closepath, fill, stroke,
scalefont, and show.  If an unknown command is encountered an %offending
command message is printed to the file "PS.errors".  However, the program
continues so things can get messed up in a hurry if for instance, paths are
not explicitly closed or if unknown commands leave the stack in a unknown
state.

The goal of this project was to make a "movie" on the Macintosh and not to
make an accurate rendition of PostScript.  It was kind of fun programming for
the Mac, though, wished I could do it more often.  Scientific programming is
not very often exciting or challenging.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PSEUDOPS05-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PSEUDOPS05-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PSEUDOPS05-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 Jul 87 13:28:09-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: MultiCounter

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MULTI-COUNTER
Date: 27-JUL-1987 20:42 by PAGE1

A new version of the MacWrite word counter.  Now supports WriteNow files and
returns sentence count and paragraph count and average words per sentence.
Written in LightSpeed C.  Certain portions of this software are copyrighted by
Think Technologies.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MULTICOUNTER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 Jul 87 13:28:58-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: PictDisplay

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: PICTDISPLAY
Date: 27-JUL-1987 21:09 by ASMCOR

This is a q&d program for displaying PICT resources with ID = 0 (as used in
startup screens for the Mac II). It will also read and display PICT data
files, as created by various graphics programs. It will also translate PICT
data files into PICT resources so you can easily create your own startup
screens. Now you don't have to restart the Mac to show someone your startup
screen. Public Domain by Jan Eugenides.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PICTDISPLAY.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Aug 87 09:58:52-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Mesmer

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MESMER 1.0
Date: 2-AUG-1987 17:32 by ASMCOR

Swirling patterns of animated color, shows off the color capabilities of
your Mac II. Is it psychedelic, or what? Requires 256 colors (8-bits).
Written by Jan Eugenides

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MESMER.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Aug 87 10:26:51-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: PopTrack

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: POPUP MENUS (SYSTEM 4.1)
Date: 4-AUG-1987 03:17 by DEWI

This is an example program (with source in Lightspeed C) demonstrating how the
new popup menus work in system 4.1

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>POPUP-MENU-EXAMPLE-C-PROGRAM.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Aug 87 10:25:55-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Directory 1.0

[ Upload from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: DIRECTORY FKEY 1.00
Date: 3-AUG-1987 19:56 by RAYMONDLAU

[ All files updated 3-AUG-1987 19:56 by RAYMONDLAU. Directory 1.00 adds file
copying and preview plus misc. bug fixes.  1.10 will add launch feature. ]

Directory is a FKEY which allows some basic operations to be performed with
disks (and fldrs/files)  Its most basic operation is to let you view the
directories of various volumes and fldrs.  It allows you to rename volumes/
fldrs/files, to move fldrs/files, to delete files and entire folders and to
create folders.  Also included is the ability to unmount volumes and make a
certain vol/fldr the default vol/fldr.  In the near future, support will be
added for things such as a find file function, different sorting methods, a
"preview" hook, etc.  This is version 1.00 and is shareware.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-DIRECTORY10-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-DIRECTORY10-PART2.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Aug 87 09:19:07-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Powerstation/E

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: POWERSTATION/E.PIT
Date: 5-AUG-1987 17:02 by BRECHER

This packed file (use PackIt III or Unpit to unpack it) contains:
       PowerStation/E version 1.1
       Open PowerStation (a small companion application)
       PowerStation Orientation (a text file containing summary documentation)

 PowerStation/E is an evaluation version of PowerStation, a commercial product.
PowerStation is a Finder replacement that offers easy and fast access to your
applications, documents, and desk accessories.  The three files are copyright
(c) 1987 Software Supply, and may be copied only in accord with the terms shown
when you choose the "About PowerStation..." item from PowerStation/E's Apple
menu.

  Steve Brecher, Software Supply

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-POWERSTATION11-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-POWERSTATION11-PART2.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 17:23:33 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: Monopoly v4.0

  Enclosed is Monopoly v4.0.  It is a Macintosh version of the popular
board game, play with up to 7 other players, and the Mac can be one of
them.  It's pretty neat.  It is also free!

sent as a BinHex'd PackIt II file.

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MONOPOLY40-PART1.HQX
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MONOPOLY40-PART2.HQX
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MONOPOLY40-PART3.HQX
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MONOPOLY40-PART4.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 3 Sep 87 09:13:30-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: File Catalog Example (HyperCard)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: FILE CATALOG EXAMPLE (HYPERCARD)
Date: 2-SEP-1987 17:07 by PEABO

This is a HyperCard stack showing how you might import a comma-delimited text
file to make a stack with one card for each line in the text.  All the scripts
have comments to explain how they work.  It's free, pass it on.  Unpack with
PackIt or Unpit.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-FILE-CATALOG-EXAMPLE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 3 Sep 87 09:13:30-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: STACKWARE DETECTIVE

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name  STACKWARE DETECTIVE
Date  30-AUG-1987 10 52 by PEABO

This is Stackware Detective, a program for peeking inside HyperCard stacks.
You select the amount of detail you want to see, from script only all the
way to complete dumps of the bitmaps.  Works on damaged stacks that
HyperCard won't open.  Use with a text file compare program to keep track
of changes you make to your stacks.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-STACKWARE-DETECTIVE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Jul 87 15:58:43 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ball & Stick - new version 0.94

I just got this file from a friend of mine, who asked me to post it
to the Info-Mac digest:

This is a new demo version(0.94) of the molecular graphics program
"Ball & Stick". Several features have been added and bugs removed.
The program is now able to print. This demo version is for 32 atoms,
for information on how to get the full featured version (256 atoms)
use the About... Menu Item. The 1.0 release is due in fall.
Please address any correspondence concerning "Ball & Stick" to

Norbert Mueller
Institute of Chemistry
Johannes Kepler University
A-4040 LINZ
AUSTRIA

EARN/BITNET: K360171 @ AEARN

Please note that I will not be at this place from July 15th to
August 22nd.

This file should replace the earlier version posted to this net.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-BALL-AND-STICK-094.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 10 June 1987, 18:31:36 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at
From: SLACVM
Subject: PostMatic

The powers of the net are fantastic. Some time ago I posted a query
about a program called Post-A-Matic. This program was supposed to turn
the pseudo-postscript created by a Mac (when you type COMMAND-F after
clicking in the OK box when printing to a LaserWriter) into REAL
postscript.

Today a disk arrived from Peter Bennett in Canada with a kind note
and the latest version of the program. Peter indicates that the program
is free for using in a non-commercial fashion (if you want to send
him money then that is fine with him), BUT if you use it in a commercial
venture then he requests $50 (Cdn). The docs file contains all the necessary
info. One caveat is that this version is dated a month or two ago and
it isn't clear to me whether it will support LaserWriter 4.0. Good luck.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538              GEnie:  D.Gelphman
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-POSTMATIC40Z.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Jul 87 22:39:12 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: FKey Manager 2.5

This is FKey Manager 2.5.  It creates a menu of FKeys which which are
currently installed in the System file, & lets you assign FKeys to any number
key on the keyboard.  (For those of you who are unfamiliar with FKeys,
they are desk accessory-like applications which are assigned to Command Key
combinations (like Command-shift-4, which prints the contents of the screen)
rather than being installed as desk accessories.  This saves your valuable
desk accessory slots.  Lots of FKeys are available on various bulletin boards.)

It also has an FKey preview mode to run FKeys without installing
them in the System file (works much like the Other... desk accessory).

Please note that this version does NOT run on 64K ROMs.  It does run on 128K
& 256K ROMs and it is free!  This is a tool that everyone should have in
their library of utilities.

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FKEY-MANAGER25.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Sep 87 09:26:10 -0400
From: Alan Dahlbom <adahlbom@PARK-STREET.BBN.COM>
Subject: ResTools 2.0

The following three messages makeup ResTools Version 2.0. ResTools is
a resource compiler/decompiler. It uses an input syntax very close to
that used by MPW's rez/derez. It is intended as a poor man's rez/derez
replacement, for use by those of us too poor or unwilling to use MPW
(e.g. the users of LightSpeed compilers). Off course, it's completely free.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RESTOOLS20-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RESTOOLS20-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-RESTOOLS20-PART3.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 15 Aug 87 12:13:04-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #39

Delphi Mac Digest     Friday, January 1, 1904        Volume 3 : Issue 39

Today's Topics:
     Re: Re: PopUp menus
     Bill Campbell's Expo Keynote Speech
     Bill Atkinson talks about HyperCard

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-39.ARC

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest