[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #124

Moderators.David.Gelphman@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Dwayne.Virnau...@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (10/07/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 6 Oct 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 124

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Modal dialogs and MultiFinder
                          Multifinder comments
               Formatting 400K diskettes on an 800K drive
                      Solution for LSP's 32K limit.
                      Mac II Internal HD Experience
                              MacII sounds
                            Re: Turbo Pascal
                  Re: Read-it (OCR of ThunderScan file)
                 Connecting a Polaroid Pallete to a Mac
                            Re: Dove upgrades
                      Power Supply SCR replacement?
                             Shazam stat.sub
                    MacWrite on Talaris Laser printer
                Re: new keyboard support in Kermit 8(34)
                           Mac Bulletin Boards
                             Brain dominance
                     Jukebox program for MusicWorks

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 02:58 N
From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: Re: Modal dialogs and MultiFinder

Jon strikes a chord when he talks about ModalDialog and MultiFinder.  Apple
should definitely rewrite ModalDialog, since there is a lot wrong with it.
There is enough wrong with it for me to forget about using it altogether.

For example:

o  Wouldn't you want to be able to use the Edit menu in a modal dialog?  QUED
   does this exactly the way it should be.  But according to Inside Macintosh
   you even have to write your own filter to support the keyboard shortcuts
   for the Edit commands.

o  When a program calls ModalDialog and the dialog window is put up, the
   window that was on top gets its title bar unhighlighted.  Unfortunately
   the deactivate event for it never reaches the program's main event loop,
   so text selections and scroll bars stay highlighted.  Contrary to the human
   interface guidelines.

So what I do when I want to simulate a modal dialog, is to draw the dialog and
change a state variable in my main event loop.  The main event loop still
handles all events (including the one deactivate event) and allows the user to
choose the Edit menu (and sometimes others).  However, it will beep when the
user clicks outside the dialog window.  If the event is for the dialog, I just
pass it with DialogSelect.

 > Therefore, you must either code the modeless dialog yourself [...]

Hmmm, since most of us are probably already doing this, nothing much changes
with the introduction of MultiFinder.  But I would like to see them change the
ModalDialog mechanism to make it reflect the guidelines better ...

-- Thomas

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP   (not regularly)
   2:500/15 on FidoNet

   Leiden University, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 11:47:53 PDT
From: oster%dewey.SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip
From: Oster)
Subject: Multifinder comments

Norbert Lindenberg <norbert%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET> wrote a fine article
on extensions to the Macintosh user interface that would make MultiFinder
more attractive. I particularly like the idea that there should be a bit
in the Size record: MultiFinder Extensions 1 aware, that asserts that the
application understands not only Suspend/Resume events, but also:

o User double clicked on a document, multifinder wants you to open it.
  (pass a pointer to an arglist record in the message field of the event
  Record.)

o User selected a document belonging to an open application and then chose
  "Print" in Multi-finder. (Pass that pointer)

o User chose ShutDown in multi-finder.

o User wants to rename/change the folder of a document (pass that pointer.)
  Application must generate a Yea/Nay event.

o User has renamed/moved a document (This can happen only application
  said it was okay.) (Pass a pointer to two arglist style records, first
  is old name and vRef, second is new name and vRef.

o User wants to delete a document (pass pointer) Yea/Nay event.
Multi-finder should generate a request-to-delete for every active file
in a folder that is being deleted. It should stop, and cancel the folder
delete on the first "Nay".

o User has deleted a document (pass the pointer)

I've come the conclusion that ModalDialog() should not be used in a
multi- finder environment. I never use it, because I never write
dialogs simple enough that ModalDialog can handle it.

Alert() takes an event filter procedure as an argument, and the
filter procedure could call WaitNextEvent(0, &localEventRecord, NIL,2)
that other tasks may run.  It is funny that ModalDialog() doesn't
call WaitNextEvent() under Multi-finder, because it does call
SystemTask(), which is the old universe's way of letting other tasks
run.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 13:57 H
From: <KSEAH%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Formatting 400K diskettes on an 800K drive

Anyone out there with ideas on how to format 400K
single sided disks on an 800K double sided drive?
I'm presently writing a LightSpeed Pascal program
which will do bulk formatting of 400K disks (PD
SW Distribtion) with naming of the disks.
  I tried the new disk manager csCode=6 call to
format 400K - this works fine but DIZero will not
put MFS on the disk (yeah even IM#4 says that DIZero
will put HFS on a double sided drive and MFS on a
Single sided drive by default).  There must be
a way to do this since DIBadMount does indeed
format and put MFS on 400K disks.
  All assistance is gratefully appreciated!
Rgds - ks
Kenneth Seah
KSEAH@NUDISCS

------------------------------

From: PL296546%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Date: 5 Oct 87   11:13 EDT
Subject: Solution for LSP's 32K limit.

SUBJECT: Solution for LSP's 32K limit.

   I am currently programming with the mac and run into the 32K
problem.
   I found the solution right in the 'User's guide and Reference Manual'.
Chapter 5 talks about projects and in page 3 it talks about the views of
a project (By build order and by Segment). The view control is over the
vertical scroll bar, a click changes between the two.
   Well, to get around the 32K problem, just place the project ordered by
segment and do the following:

   Dragg several files under the dotted line to create a new segment
(the segment is created automatically by LSP), the project is still
going to be compiled by build order, but the segment lets you have
a code of more than 32K.

   I hope this helps any programmer that ran into this problem.

                     Francisco Enriquez
                     PL296546 at TECMTYVM
                     ITESM. Monterrey, Mexico.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Oct 87  11:11:19 CDT
From: RAGAN%CDCCentr.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac II Internal HD Experience

I have just finished installing a Control Data Wren III
half-height drive into my Mac II. The drive is a 92MB
drive, 18.5 msec access time, 10 Mbit/sec transfer rate.

I chose the Wren III because I work for CDC (usual
disclaimer) and so could get an internal price and
because it is a nice drive. The drive arrived raw --
no brackets, no cables, etc.  The drive can be
mounted directly to the metal platform in the Mac II
using four screws, some lock washers, and four
standoff rubber O rings to get the drive off the
metal and provide a little reduction in shock/
vibration transfer. There are rumored to be mounting
brackets for hard disks (including an Apple part #)
but I could find none of these so I went this way
and it seems to work fine. A molex power connector
for a PC and a short 50 pin cable finished the job.

Formatter and drivers are from Carl Nelson & Assoc
(206) 252-6897. See June (maybe July) 1987 MacTutor
article for details.  I put it all together and
it works fine.  Disk Timer II reports
    24   Read
    63   Write
     6   Access

I believe that with some driver improvements, the Write
number could be reduced to 24 also.

ragan@cdccentr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 10:21 EST
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: MacII sounds

The Macintosh II does not generate beep sounds asynchronously, but this is
not necessarily a disadvantage.  Sure, if you have a long sound installed,
a constant beeping will run into trouble.  But on the other hand, consider
the instance when several different alerts are posted.  If the application
happens to generate a beep for each alert, an asynchronous beep sound would
merely confuse most users, and would no longer be directly tied with a
specific warning dialog.  In my opinion, this is why Apple decided on
synchronous beeps.

Note that the MacII ***is*** quite capable of generating asynchronous sound.
If you don't believe me, try calling sampled sounds from VideoWorks II.  It
generates asynch. sound just as well as the older Macs.

Paul Christensen
CSNET: PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

From: fiddler@sun.com (Steve Hix)
Subject: Re: Turbo Pascal
Date: 5 Oct 87 18:54:17 GMT

  >EKE4000@WYOCDC1.CSD

  >The manual supplied with the compiler seems to
  >be a good reference, but little more.  Is the
  >Turbo Pascal tutor (also available from Borland) worth getting?

I'd say yes.  Especially if you're just coming up on Pascal
or just coming up on the Mac.

  >One more thing, will programs written in MacPascal run with
  >Turbo?  I don't mean without some modification but is it
  >possible to transfer program at least to some degree?

Also yes:  MacPascal programs can be ported over to Turbo
Pascal without too much trouble.

	seh

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 11:58:39 PDT
From: oster%dewey.SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip
From: Oster)
Subject: Re: Read-it (OCR of ThunderScan file)

Such a program would be quite reasonable if you've got even 10-pixel high
characters (it would need the gray scale data to work at such a low resolution
though.)  Can anybody think of an application where this would be useful?
I find I usually have to watch thunderscan work to get it to do a good job,
and I can type a page of text faster than thunderscan can scan it + software
can process it.  (It does speak well for the fast flat-bed scanners though.)

By the way, the structure of a thunderscan file is almost identical the
structure of a 4-bits per pixel pixmap (a pixmap is the color quickdraw
analog of a bitmap.)  I've written a program that reads in a thunderscan
file, creates a pixmap, with a pointer to the thunderscan file in
(**pixMapHandle).baseAddr, a pointer to a simple 16-level gray color lookup
table ( 0000=white, 1111=black, other combinations of 4 bits per pixel
are shades of gray as you would expect.)  Saves the whole mess as a PICT.

There is no reason why Thunderscan could not show the grays if it were running
on a Mac II. Andy, are you listening?

The pictures look great.  The routine is part of a public domain program
I am writing to convert between PICT, MacPaint, start-up screen, color
startup screen, X, Sun, Thunderscan, GridWars, and boxer raster file formats.
It supports the Hand cursor, pictures as large or larger than full screen,
conversion between bitmaps and half as big pixmaps, bitmap reflection,
translation, and rotation.  The program is about 80% done.

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 11:10 EDT
From: Eric Wolf <eric-wolf@WAIKATO.S4CC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Connecting a Polaroid Pallete to a Mac

This is in response to a request for information about connecting a Mac
to a Polariod Pallete

A company called Laser Graphics in Irvine California supposedly sells a
Pallette modified to work with a Mac.  It is called the MPS-2000.

Apparently it is very expensive, but maybe they'd just sell you an
interface box.  I'd love to here what you find out.

Eric Wolf
eric-wolf@kenai-fjords.symbolics.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 17:45:49 EDT
From: ooblick@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry)
Subject: Re: Dove upgrades

Mine has been nothing but trouble.  We got a 512k to 1meg upgrade that
has not stayed up a full day yet.  We asked Dove for help, and the best
they could offer was to tell us to clean the leftover plastic out from
between the pins.  I wished I had just shelled out for the Apple upgrade.
It would have been cheaper considering the down time.

Mikki Barry

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 87 19:27 CDT
From: TILLEY%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Power Supply SCR replacement?

Looking for a replacement for the part at position Q10 on the analog
   board of a 512K Mac.
The Beck Tech schematic draws it as an SCR and calls it a CR400.
The original part looks like:  _________
                               | E0121 |
                               | Y   A |
                               | TAG84 |
                               |_______|
                                |  |  |
                                |  |  |
None of these numbers are in any available cross reference manuals.
What part will fit. Will an MCR100-4 alias 2N5064 work??
                           Many thanks:
                           Tilley%UofMcc.BITNET@wiscvm.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 87 09:07 CDT
From: <SKF8192%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shazam stat.sub

Net readers,
I have a question about some Mac software.  I am new to the net and so I have
not seen any previous discussion on Info-Mac.  I have a software package called
Shazam.  This is a statistics package similar to SAS on mainframes. I need
help using the stat subroutine (stat.sub).  Each time I try to use the
subroutine with my data I get an error message (...error 75...) and it
returns me to the desktop.   The manual does not seem to help much with this
problem.  I am also interested in getting some of the public domain software
off of the net.  How is this done and where can I get a list and discription
of the software. Can someone give me help with either of these questions.

                                        Thanks in advance.
                                        Keith Fischer

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  5 Oct 87 17:02 CDT
From: <RIVAS@SHSU>
Subject: MacWrite on Talaris Laser printer

  Does anyone know of a filter that can convert a MacWrite document, that
    has been transfered to the VAX, into a form printable on a Talaris
    Laser Printer without losing either the fonts or the formatting. The
    Laser Printer is on a VAX/785.

         Thanks in advance for any help.

              John A. Rivas    <RIVAS@SHSUODIN>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: new keyboard support in Kermit 8(34)

I recently received a version of MACKERMIT 8(34) from the Bitnet server
at Columbia.  I was wondering if there is a way to access the extra
keys available on the new style keyboards?  Is there a list of scan
codes that get returned for these keys?

------------------------------

Sender: NNicoll.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM
Date: 5 Oct 87 09:42:12 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Mac Bulletin Boards
From: NNicoll.ElSegundo@Xerox.COM

Where can I obtain a list of Macintosh Bulletin Boards?  I am especially
interested in the Los Angeles area.

------------------------------

From: dartvax!earleh.UUCP@seismo.css.gov (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: Brain dominance
Date: 6 Oct 87 03:13:59 GMT

 >  > From: PEABO
 >  > Subject: RE: Brain Dominance
 >
 >There is one case where left-handers are better off than right-handers:
 >the Backspace key.  When I'm mousing around with my right hand I like to use
 >my left hand to tap the Backspace key to delete selections.  In this case
 >it is the right-hander who has to reach across the keyboard ...
 >
 >-- Thomas Fruin
 >
 >   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
 >   thomas@uvabick.UUCP
 >
 >   Leiden University, Netherlands

Thomas, what are you talking about?  Any sensible left-hander will have the
mouse to the left of the keyboard.  Try it!  You do have to watch out for
poor unfortunates who move it back, though...

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 11:37 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Jukebox program for MusicWorks

A recent EduComp catalog listed a version of a Jukebox program for
MusicWorks that supposedly does not require the original program.
The version I have is dated 1985 and requires the original program,
hence, a certain difficulty in distributing copies.  Does anyone have
this demo program, and if so, could they upload it to the archives?

Jim Clark
The University of Tennessee at Martin

End of INFO-MAC Digest