[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #125

Moderators.David.Gelphman@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Dwayne.Virnau...@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (10/10/87)

INFO-MAC Digest           Friday, 9 Oct 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 125

Today's Topics:
                         Re: Hypercard question
                   Relational DM toolkits/ Inside Out
                     How to get info into HyperCard
                           LEX for the MAC LSC
                  Help... Looking for a Mac Wizard !!!
                     Fixed LightspeedC Stdio Library
                               StuffIt 1.0
            Re: Kermit keyboard tables for new mac keyboards
        Re: ImageWriters with IBMPC and MacBBS list on compuserve
                     Standard file package on the SE
               Sharing a LaserWriter between Macs and Suns
                    Microsoft Word 3.01 big file woes
                Imagewriter printing problem with Mac II
                   Creating Fonts for the LaserWriter
                           Modem Cables (Mac+)
                           computer insurance
                         Homebrew Mac+ upgrades

From: Bob Gross <18351c@d1.DARTMOUTH.EDU>
Date: 07 Oct 87 15:12
Subject: Re: Hypercard question

Larry-
       Have you tried to lock the text field?  What about having the text
field pass the click on to the map?
       I've got a question for you too.  I have not found any way to print
text from a field unless it is a background field, and then it has to be
done through the PrintReport... doMenu command.
Is there a simple way to say something like "print card field 1"?
                                      Bob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 20:15:33 PDT
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Relational DM toolkits/ Inside Out

Does anyone have any experience with a product called Inside Out from
Shana Enterprises in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada?  It's a relational
database toolkit for programmers in the form of linkable object code.
It currently supports MPW Pascal, but they claim to have versions in
the works for other Pascal and C compilers.

I'm interested in writing a program that uses multi-user relational
database capabilities, but I'm not sure I can use one of the
application generators (e.g., 4th dimenision) to my satisfaction.  One
drawback of Inside Out is that source code is not available. I have
heard that it is possible to purchase source codefor relational
database libraries or at least for b-tree libraries.  If you know of
any that would run on a Mac or would be reasonable to port (preferably
in C), I'd appreciate your comments.  Or if you have experience with
Omnis, Double, 4th Dimension, etc. and would like to comment on how
good they are for developing (or at least protyping) a highly
interactive multi-user application I'd find that useful as well.  I'd
certainly be willing to share what I get with you or post the list if
there's enough interest.

Thanks, Mark

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 87 7:29:11 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: How to get info into HyperCard

During a recent coffee break the subject of HyperCard came up.  One of my
collegues brought up a very interesting point.  Even though HC has solved
the problem of the MAC being sometimes impossible to program, and now
places the ability to program in the hands of virtually any one, there
is still a very significant problem that needs to be solved before any
micro can be considered seriously :=).

That is, how can you easily get information into a stack without the very
time consuming venture of sitting at a keyboard and clicking aware.  To
give an example.  I recently completed a stack for keeping tack of my library
of books, records, video tapes and audio tapes.  This collection is very
large (over 2000 books alone).  Now that the stack is completed I have to
sit down for about 2 to 3 weeks of doing nothing but typing piece by piece
to get the information in.  Not a very pleasant way to spend a vacation or
the evenings.  Currently we are tied (read roped and hog tied) to the key
board for entry of information on anything that we want to do.  I have heard
a lot of discussion that Voice Recognition will be the answer.  I am not
convinced of this.  I have worked with VR to some degree, besides the
common known problems in recognizing different voice patterns, there is the
very real problem that VR is noisey.  Can you image 20 workers sitting at
there desk talking a 200 page paper into their computers.  Have you ever
tried speaking for hours at a time.  I have and my voice is gone after
about 4 hours and takes a day to recover.  What is the alternative?  Has
anyone heard of some way to (either now or in the forseeable future) by
pass the key board?

The second half of this is the exchange of information.  HC allows the
ability to retrieve information in an extremely rapid manner.  However the
only way to exchange the information is via a download.  This is fine for
short files (100k) or less, but how about stacks that are 3 or 4 times that
size.  DL is to slow even at 2400 baud.  Wouldn't it be nice to be sent a
hypercard stack of the index to a magazine that could be easily loaded (hmm
maybe the cauzin reader will pay off yet).  This is a real problem.  Now
that HC has provided a means for easily managing information how do we
easily get information to manage with out spending all hours of the day and
night at the key board typing.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.  If enough interest I will
consolidate and post (i.e. send all responses directly to me to keep this
area clear).

Thanks
John Buono
arpa  buono%asbf-imp@huachuca-em.arpa

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein are personnal in nature and do not reflect
the thoughts or policy of my employer or for that matter any one else that
I am familiar with.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 87 9:26:20 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: LEX for the MAC LSC

Does anyone know of a LEX compiler that generates LightSpeed C code, or for
that matter a LEX for the MAC at all.  Either commercial, PD or Shareware.

Thanks
John

------------------------------

Date: 9 Oct 87    14:50
From: PRO_MAC%UQHULL.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Jean-Marc Da Pozzo)
Subject: Help... Looking for a Mac Wizard !!!

  I am presently working on a graphics program based on the S. Ciarcia
ImageWise digitizer. The program is written in Object Pascal (TML Pascal).
Each filter is an object constructed on a generic Filter Object. I would like
to include these objects as a resource (maybe a PROC rscr) so I can configure
the program by building separate objects and then install them with ResEdit.
The program would read these resources and include them in a menu using the
"add named resource" procedure.

Any informations on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Send any hints, examples.... to Jean-Marc Da pozzo
                                PRO_MAC@UQHULL (BITNET)

                                1487 Logan
                                Montreal, Quebec
                                H2L 1X6 Canada
                                (514) 596-0974 weekends
                                (819) 595-2380 weekly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 87 20 00 47 EDT
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer)
Subject: Fixed LightspeedC Stdio Library

This is a fixed version of LightspeedC's "stdio" library. The
specific bug fix is that the Echo_to_Printer function has been
fixed so that it now works properly.

The problem lay in the programmer (not me!  -) who wrote this
library assuming that if the configuration byte for port B (the
printer port) was positive, then it was in use by AppleTalk. In
fact, the configuration byte can be positive, and AppleTalk
is only in use if the configuration byte is *odd*.

At any rate, Echo_to_Printer seems to work now; if there are any
problems, please do not hesitate to contact me.

		--Rich

**NOTE  Any opinions herein are my own opinions and do not
represent the opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc.)

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Arpa  singer@harvard.harvard.edu
Uucp  harvard!endor!singer

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>LIGHTSPEEDC-STDIO-LIB.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 87 11:52 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN%sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: StuffIt 1.0

Date: Mon 28 Sep 87 11:52:16-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: StuffIt 1.0 (part 1 of 2)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: STUFFIT 1.0
Date: 26-SEP-1987 21:51 by RAYMONDLAU

v1.0 adds full support of unpacking, incl. conversion.  Fixes many bugs and
adds a few enhancements (like renaming entries & recognition of large screens)

StuffIt is a Mac file archival/compression utility utilizing mainly Lempel-Ziv
compression.  This makes it faster and on the average, more efficient than
other compression utilities currently available for the Mac. Furthermore, you
can extract any file from an archive easily (first,from the middle or last),
add more files at a later date, remove files.  To provide compatibility, there
is also an UnPack feature (which *I* do not claim to be faster than PackIt).

[parts 1 & 2 concatenated and archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-STUFFIT-10.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Oct 87 11:33:50 EST
From: Simpson <JS05STAF%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Kermit keyboard tables for new mac keyboards

I have successfully(?) created a Kermit8(.34) keyboard table for the Apple
Extended Keyboard.  I have successflly mapped all keys except F10--F15
and the top row of the keypad.  Method:
1) obtain the vt100 keytable from a Kermit server.  Also obtain CKMKEY.
2)  Make a copy of the vt100 table and open it from within CKMKEY.
    The new keys won't show up, but if you press one you will note
    a status message at the bottom of the screen.  Enter the appropriate
    message in the text box and press set key or set function.  Do this
    a few keys at a time.  Be sure to save before exiting CKMKEY.  Test
    this table.  If it works MAKE A COPY and iterate.  The reason for
    copy and iterate is that CKMKER will sometimes decide to wipe out
    all definitions for the new keys.  It took me less than two days
    to remap with above exceptions.  I've gotten no further in the two weeks.

There is a new version of Kermit on the servers.  It is prefixed with XKM.
XKMKEY (7) is no friendlier than CKMKEY (6).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 87 18:25:48 edt
From: ZICKUS <tzickus@pyr1.acs.udel.edu>
Subject: Re: ImageWriters with IBMPC and MacBBS list on compuserve

A few titbits which might be helpful...

(1) A while back someone asked about using an ImageWriter II with an
IBM PC.  Orange Micro makes a board which installs in the IW2 in the
slot used for the memory expansion or the AppleTalk boards. It (with
the proper cable) allows a IW2 to emulate a serial Epson printer and
thus work quite well with most IBM software (at 200 cps, no less...).
It also adds a print buffer with a nice "copy buffer N times"
command. I have had one at a client's office for about a year, connected
to an AT, and it's worked out quite well.
   The emulation is not carbon copy, and graphics are NOT supported, but
it is pretty close considering the difference in hardware.

(2) A good list of Mac BBS's is available on Compuserve as a
download in the "GO MACUS" area, I think in the telecommunications
DL section. It's pretty extensive, it would seem, and at least provides
a good starting place to find Mac BBS's with.

Tim Zickus
c/o Python Datasystems
PO Box 868
Bridgeton, NJ 08302-0464

zickus@udel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 11:01:41 PDT
From: Charles Dolan <cpd@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Standard file package on the SE

In the switcher (5.1) on the SE, the standard file dialogs do not have some
of the controls.  Also other application which read the name of volumes do
not work under switcher 5.1 on the SE.  Has anybody else had this problem?

-Charlie Dolan
cpd@cs.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 87 17:23:34 BST
From: Fernando Pereira <pereira%cam.sri.com@drakes.ai.sri.com>
Subject: Sharing a LaserWriter between Macs and Suns

We would like to have some more or less automatic way of sharing a
LaserWriter between Macs and Suns; it is connected to a Sun right now.
I know this issue has been discussed in the past, but I'm not sure
that I have all the relevant material. If you've found a way of
making this work, I would appreciate a reply by mail

-- Fernando Pereira
pereira%cam.sri.com@drakes.ai.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: 6 Oct 87 22:00 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Microsoft Word 3.01 big file woes

  Problem with Word 3.01 (on a Mac Plus):  when reading an 8.5 MB text document
the vertical scroll bar acts up when I get over 90% of the way through.
It happens consistently now after the following:  boot up, launch Word 3.01,
open the big document, drag the vertical thumb down about 95% of the way
to the bottom, and then try to scroll down.  The thumb jumps back to the
top of its range and there seems to be no way to reach the end of the
document.  This used to happen occasionally with Word 3.0 on documents in
the 4-7 MB size range, but not reproducibly ... with the 8.5 MB text document
it happens all of the time.
  Has anybody else experienced this weirdness?
  Please let me know if this is a known bug and if there are any workarounds.
I am running under System 4.1/Finder 5.5 in a relatively simple configuration.
No crazy DA's (I hope!) ... a MacBottom HD21 and a Warp 9 Photon 40 on the
SCSI port.  9-Oct-87 07:40:19-PDT,2025;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 87 10:32:27 EDT
From: Steve Buyske <ST401266%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Imagewriter printing problem with Mac II

    My new Mac II has a tendency to hang as it gets ready to print
on an imagewriter.  Can anyone help me?
The players:
         New Mac II without internal hard disk
         Jasmine Direct Drive 50 external disk (same actual drive as
              Apple's internal 40)
         Imagewriter II which works fine with a Mac Plus
         Current System, Finder, Imagewriter driver, Font/DA Mover, etc.
         System is a copy of the System Tools disk plus Boston II fonts
         and Disktop, dCad, Saviour, and Soundplay DAs.
The problem:
         After clicking OK on the imagewriter print box, the mouse freezes,
         doesn't turn into a watch, and the machine can only be reset with
         the programmers' switch reset.
A temporary solution:
         Printing will work if I boot a floppy (usually System Tools),
         even if I then switch system disks to the hard disk and eject
         the floppy.  Zapping the PRAM doesn't seem to help.
My suspicion:
         Somehow my System is being corrupted.  By the Font/DA Mover or
         the DAs?  I'm willing to test a few combinations, but there
         are limits to how many permutations I can test.
         Replacing the system on the hard disk will work for a while,
         even after I customize the fonts and DAs, but then the problem
         will return after a few days.

Can anyone give me clues, leads, information, or help?

Thanks,
Steve Buyske

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 16:28 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating Fonts for the LaserWriter

        I'm new to this list, and programming the Mac.  I'd like some
info on defining fonts for the LaserWriter, like the Apple-supplied
fonts Courier, Helvetica, Symbol, and Times.  I have ResEdit and SendPS.
What other tools do I need?  "Inside Macintosh" is pitifully bare on the
topic of creating even simple fonts (i.e., QuickDraw fonts) using
ResEdit.  (Or am I looking in the wrong manuals?)  Please reply directly
to me; I'll try to summarize.

        Thanks, good folks!

Rahul Mangaldas (rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet)
Box 1311, Clark University
950 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01610-1477

[ note from moderator: Probably the best tool for creating LaserWriter
(i.e. PostScript) fonts is Fontographer by Altsys. It is a package
specifically designed for postscript font design on the Macintosh.
It is also possible to write directly in postscript (see the
Postscript Language Reference Manual by Adobe Systems, published
by Addison Wesley (the Red book) but that would be a difficult approach
for all but the simplest fonts. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 Oct 87 22:32 EDT
From: <SEGAL%NYUACF.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Modem Cables (Mac+)

I am in posession of a 1200 baud modem with no cable. I need to connect
the thing to a Mac+ and would like to know, even though cable pinouts have
be dealt with many times before, if I'm going to need any special cableing
fir a modem with the following (RS-232C) pinout...
1 Protection Ground
2 Send data
3 Receive Data
5 Clear to Send
6 Data Set Ready
7 Signal Ground
8 Carrier Detect
12 Speed Mode Indicator
20 Data terminal Ready
22 Ring Indicator
25 Test Mode

Is it going to cause problems sending 11 to 8 pins?
Any help will be appreciated.

Slack and Spam ("Bob" is NOT dead!)
Richard Segal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 20:12:28 PDT
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: computer insurance

Does anyone know about computer insurance companies?  I have small
pamphlets from two companies:

(1) Safeware
(2) Data Security Insurance

Any comments or recommendations appreciated?

thanks,

Mark

------------------------------

Date: 8 Oct 1987 10:47:09-EDT
From: Mario.Bai@ampere.ece.cmu.edu
Subject: Homebrew Mac+ upgrades

ok guys... i would like to know if anyone plans on trying
to "home" upgrade his mac...i did mine from a 128 to a 512e by
going out and purchasing separate stuff like ramchips and the new roms...
i would like to know if anyone wants to go from a 512 to plus...
i'd like to do it with them.

mario

End of INFO-MAC Digest