[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #126

Moderators.David.Gelphman@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Dwayne.Virnau...@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (10/12/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 11 Oct 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:
                       MultiFinder, OS extensions
      SysEnvirons Interfaces for LightspeedC and Lightspeed Pascal
                             HyperMacintalk
                      HYPERCARD-XFCN-SFGETFILE.HQX
                   Hypercard Spelling/Dictation Stack
                     Fix for LightspeedC Capps Prime
                          Periodic Table Stack
                   Hypercard XFCN and XCMD glue files
                               MAPS-US.HQX
                              MAP-WORLD.HQX
                          MAPS-CONTINENTS1.HQX
                          MAPS-CONTINENTS2.HQX
                           Menus for Hypercard
                               SmartQuotes
                              DiskBox stack
                            Laser Quotes INIT
                                  Klutz
                             BrainDamage.HQX
                       USA MAPS IN MACDRAW FORMAT
                     Jukebox program for MusicWorks
                       FreeTerm 2.0 now available
                              Sony monitors
              RE: patch 4.1 (sys 4.1 and short uk keyboard)
                           Mac memory upgrades
                       Big Files in MS WORD 3.0.1
                        ImageWriter 2 in Europe.
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #78
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #77
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #79
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #80

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 87 12:09:14 MET
From: Norbert Lindenberg <norbert%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: MultiFinder, OS extensions

Thanks to Philipp Oster for enhancing my MultiFinder suggestions with
the implementation details (info-mac digests vol. 5 #123 and 124).

I'm not sure if his extensions for protecting data in use are well
suited for a networked environment:
if any client of a file server intended to move or delete a file on that
server, the server would have to dial up any other clients to collect their
votes. This would mean
- to change the server into an active node of the network,
- and to increase network traffic.

I think that Apple's suggestions for protecting your application's data
(see "Software Applications in a Shared Environment") solve the problem in
a better way: just leave an access path open to any file that your
application still needs. The file system (local or network) will not allow
anybody to delete the file, and renaming or moving the file will not
invalidate your access path.

-- Norbert

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 87 10:26:57 EDT
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer)
Subject: SysEnvirons Interfaces for LightspeedC and Lightspeed Pascal

Following this message is a BinHexed compressed PackIt III file containing
interface files and glue libraries so that you can use the SysEnvirons call
described in Tech Note #126 from LightspeedC or Lightspeed Pascal. The
"Environs.h" and "Environs.Lib" are for LightspeedC, and "EnvironsIntf.p"
and "SysEnvirons.Lib" are for Lightspeed Pascal.

I don't know what the copyright restrictions are on the distribution of
these libraries. I asked once, and never got a response. Given that these
aren't being distributed for profit, it may be fairly safe to post them,
but if there's going to be a problem then I shall withdraw the posting (or
have the moderator or maintainer remove the message).

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>LIGHTSPEED-C-PASCAL-SYSENVIRONS.HQX

Rich, please let me know if there is any copyright problem with this.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 15:56:01 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: HyperMacintalk

Here is a Hypercard stack that has all the necessary components
for adding Macintalk speech to any stack.  It includes tables
for creating phonetic speech from scratch or from english text,
and the functions and commands to add to other stacks.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-MACINTALK.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 15:56:01 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: HYPERCARD-XFCN-SFGETFILE.HQX

Here is a stack and source file with an XFCN that presents the SFGetFile
dialog box and returns the full HFS pathname of the file selected or the
null string if cancelled.  This is a necessary addition to Hypercard.  I
couldn't believe it when an example stack asked me to type in a file name.
No more typing, this is the Macintosh way.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-XFCN-SFGETFILE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 15:37 MDT
From: <LOGANJ%BYUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard Spelling/Dictation Stack

This is an interesting free HyperCard dictation spelling application
for students.  You can enter a spelling word list, hide the spelling
words, and have the Macintosh read the spelling words to a student.
As words are read the student types the words from the keyboard.
Misspelled words are recorded for more practice.

The developer, John Robertson of the BYU Linguistics Department,
is receptive to comments and suggestions.  I'll be happy to forward
any email I receive about this.

This file requires about 43K of disk space, and the unhex'd stack
requires about 42K.

Regards,
Jim Logan (loganj@byuvax.bitnet)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-SPELLING-DICTATION.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 17:26:31 EDT
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: Fix for LightspeedC Capps Prime

Users of Capps Prime for LightspeedC, please note:

	There is a bug in the text-selection routines in the release
version of Capps Prime. This bug has since been fixed, and is herewith
posted. The attached BinHex file contains a file called "Fixed PEDoText";
this file should be used to replace "PEDoText.c" in any projects
associated with Capps Prime for LightspeedC.

If there are any problems with this fix, please send me mail.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

Uucp: {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer
Internet/Arpanet: singer@harvard.harvard.edu

No one writes programs that work right the first time. If they did,
I'd be out of a job.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>LIGHTSPEEDC-CAPPS-PRIME-FIX.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	Wed, 30 Sep 87 15:31:13 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Periodic Table Stack

Here is a REAL periodic table of the elements stack for Hypercard.
Be sure to click on the faces of the authors on the help page.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-PERIODIC-TABLE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	Wed, 30 Sep 87 15:58:10 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Hypercard XFCN and XCMD glue files

Here are the header files for c and Pascal that are necessary to
write your own XFCNs and XCMDs for Hypercard.  Included are a
couple of examples.  All of these are MPW text files.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-XFCN-XCMD-GLUE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 87 19:49:52 EDT
From: matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Dave Matthews)
Subject: MAPS-US.HQX

This file contains maps of the US, as two MacDraw documents.  Each state is
a MacDraw polygon.

The first document is a detailed map of the 48 contiguous states.  The
second is less detailed, greatly reducing MacDraw's redraw time; it includes
Alaska and Hawaii, but not in their actual location or scale.

The maps were created by Irv Wiswall of Cornell Computer Services
(IRV@CORNELLA.BITNET) and myself, using SAS/GRAPH and VersaTerm-PRO.
Convert with Binhex 4.0 and unpack with Packit II or Unpit.

- Dave Matthews
  ARPA:matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu             BITNET:matthews@crnlthry
  USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!matthews

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACDRAW-MAPS-USA.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 87 20:28:01 EDT
From: matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Dave Matthews)
Subject: MAP-WORLD.HQX

This file contains a MacDraw map of the World.  Each country is a MacDraw
polygon.

The map was created by Irv Wiswall of Cornell Computer Services
(IRV@CORNELLA.BITNET) and myself, using SAS/GRAPH and VersaTerm-PRO.
Convert with Binhex 4.0 and unpack with Packit II or Unpit.

- Dave Matthews
  ARPA:matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu             BITNET:matthews@crnlthry
  USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!matthews

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACDRAW-MAP-WORLD.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 87 19:50:54 EDT
From: matthews@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dave Matthews)
Subject: MAPS-CONTINENTS1.HQX

This file contains maps of North America, South America and Europe.  Each
country is a MacDraw polygon.

The maps were created by Irv Wiswall of Cornell Computer Services
(IRV@CORNELLA.BITNET) and myself, using SAS/GRAPH and VersaTerm-PRO.
Convert with Binhex 4.0 and unpack with Packit II or Unpit.

- Dave Matthews
  ARPA:matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu             BITNET:matthews@crnlthry
  USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!matthews

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACDRAW-MAPS-CONTINENTS1.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 87 20:26:42 EDT
From: matthews@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dave Matthews)
Subject: MAPS-CONTINENTS2.HQX

This file contains maps of Africa, Asia and the South Pacific.  Each country
is a MacDraw polygon.

The maps were created by Irv Wiswall of Cornell Computer Services
(IRV@CORNELLA.BITNET) and myself, using SAS/GRAPH and VersaTerm-PRO.
Convert with Binhex 4.0 and unpack with Packit II or Unpit.

- Dave Matthews
  ARPA:matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu             BITNET:matthews@crnlthry
  USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!matthews

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACDRAW-MAPS-CONTINENTS2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	Tue, 6 Oct 87 09:38:58 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Menus for Hypercard

Here is the much sought after XCMDs that let you add menus to
your Hypercard stacks.  Free from Nine to Five.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-XCMD-MENUS.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Oct 87 10:51:22-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: SmartQuotes

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: SMART QUOTES DA
Date: 2-OCT-1987 02:07 by PBORENSTEIN

[ Updated to version 2.7 2-OCT-1987 02:07 by PBORENSTEIN ]

Smart Quotes is a desk accessory that changes double quotes (") into proper
open or close quotes as you type. It also changes single quotes (') into
proper apostrophes.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-SMART-QUOTES.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	Tue, 6 Oct 87 14:44:37 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: DiskBox stack

Here is a stack that catalog disks and prints labels too.  The
best thing about this stack's organization scheme though is that
it is positional. Disks are indexed by box and then by disk,
making it easy to find which box has the disk you are looking
for.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-DISKBOX.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 	Tue, 6 Oct 87 09:28:27 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Laser Quotes INIT

Here is an INIT that transforms ' & " into the real quotes, which
can be accessed by Option-[ and Option-] and the same with Shifts.
It is a simple algorithm, but it should do for 99% of the use.
"Laser"Quotes includes documentation in MacWrite format.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-LASER-QUOTES.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Oct 87 10:49:29-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Klutz

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: KLUTZ DA
Date: 4-OCT-1987 00:33 by BILLS

Klutz is a (mac II only) DA that shows you the current color look up table
(aka clut).  You can modify any entry in the table, load and save cluts,
and reset to the default clut. The little "D" in the top right stands for
Decimal; it's a button. Click on it to toggle to Hex.  Double clicking on a
color, or single clicking on the color display box in the top right, brings
up the color picker and allows you to change the color. Bill Steinberg
(BillS) This DA is free, but is not public domain.  It is copyright 1987 by
me.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-KLUTZ.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 02:08 CDT
From: <BOYD%TAMLSR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Scott T. Boyd)
Subject: BrainDamage.HQX

Enclosed is a binhex'ed packit file containing an application
to remind us all to be happy that we've spent so much money
on Macintosh hardware.  The .hqx file is about 12K.

This little hack can provide hours of fun for the whole family,
and is a great example of how you can brain-damage even a fine
machine like the Macintosh.

Source code (LSP) included.  Send no money.  I'd be ashamed to
take money for this travesty ;)

FREE TIME WARNING:  How creative can you be in bringing really
_bad_ software to the Mac?  Remember "BAD Cinema"?  Same idea.
Be the first on your block to write a 0-star application!

Averidirty and have fun...

Scott T. Boyd
The MacHax(tm) Group

p.s.  Exit the program like you'd reset a PC (with the nearest
Macintosh equivalent -- Command-Option-Delete).

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>BRAINDAMAGE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 11:34 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: USA MAPS IN MACDRAW FORMAT

Attached is a macDraw file consisting of US. Maps.  There are
three versions, one shaded, one showing the names of states
and one showing the time zones.  Evidently each state can be
edited as a separate object.

This is in response to a request from someone on USENET. (James Larus) I
assume it can eventually make its way there.

I'm not sure of its source.  I downloaded it off a Mac BBS about
a year ago, and looked at it for the first time tonight.

Jim Clark
UT Martin

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACDRAW-MAPS-USA-TIMEZONES.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 18:33 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Jukebox program for MusicWorks

This is the JukeBox program allowing one to save lists
of songs to be played using either the demo or original
version of MusicWorks.  There are five demo pieces
(in Packit format) included.

Jim Clark
The University of Tennessee at Martin

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MUSICWORKS-JUKEBOX.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 12:58:18 PDT
From: dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
Subject: FreeTerm 2.0 now available

This posting contains FreeTerm 2.0, a "dumb" glass-TTY emulator
that supports XMODEM and MacBinary II.  Full documentation is included
in this Packit III package.

Basic features and improvements over FreeTerm 1.8:

-  FreeTerm 1.8 was limited to operation at speeds <= 2400 baud, which
   limited its usefulness to dial-up connections.  FreeTerm 2.0
   supports connections at 4800, 9600, 19200, and 57600 as well;  it
   uses XOFF/XON flow control to prevent buffer overruns at high line
   speeds [this feature can be disabled].

-  FreeTerm 2.0 supports the new extensions to the MacBinary file-
   encoding standard, as described in a document posted several
   weeks ago.

-  FreeTerm 2.0 is capable of unpacking any file that was packed by
   PackIt I, II, or III, or any other utility that produces a
   packed/compressed file in PackIt format.

-  FreeTerm 2.0's window can be resized (24*80 down to 4*15).

-  FreeTerm 2.0 remembers the most recent 20 full 24*80 screens;
   you can scroll back through the saved lines in the usual fashion.

-  You can send all 128 ASCII characters (and "break").

-  "Fast-track" XMODEM is supported, for those of you who use
   Compu$erve and have clean, error-free transmission lines.

FreeTerm 2.0 is still free, as its name implies... noncommercial
distribution is encouraged;  commercial distribution is prohibited
without written permission of Dreams of the Phoenix, Inc.  FreeTerm
2.0 is copyright 1987 by William Bond;  portions are copyright
1986 by THINK Technologies, Inc. (which gives you a pretty good
idea of the development system that was used ;-)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FREETERM-20.HQX

This version replaces previous versions of FreeTerm.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

From: rutgers!cbmvax!swatsun!jeremy@uunet.uu.net (Jeremy Brest)
Subject: Sony monitors
Date: 10 Oct 87 05:20:19 GMT

A few issues ago, someone asked about a black line
about 2/3 the way down the screen on a Sony multi-
scan.  This is a featre of _all_ Trinitron products.
The line is the shadow of a wire which holds up
part of the grid, whatever that means.  Anyway,
Trinitrons have the best sharpness and color of
any color monitors around, but I agree that this
is a bad thing for a $900 monitor, esp if you
wish to photograph screen images.

Jeremy Brest
Swarthmore College
uucp:...seismo!bpa!swatsun!jeremy
CSnet:jeremy@swatsun.swarthmore.edu
ARPAnet:jeremy%swatsun.swarthmore.edu@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

From: Paul Skuce <mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comtps@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 16:26:11 GMT
Subject: RE: patch 4.1 (sys 4.1 and short uk keyboard)

I have managed to get System 4.1 to use the SHORT UK keyboard
by cutting INIT 0 from system 3.2 that does know about the keyboard
and pasting it into System 4.1. The only problem I have with it is that
CNTL SHIFT 1 & 2 do not work. The Alpha release of System 4.2 has the same
problem. I hope that Apple fix that before they release it.

		Regards
			Paul Skuce
		Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
		College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
			comtps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
			comtps@hatfield.ac.uk			JANET
			comtps%uk.ac.hatfield@UKACRL		EARN

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Oct 87 16:30 CDT
From: <MPARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac memory upgrades

I have just prevailed upon our service people here (who are Apple-
certified and very by-the-book) to upgrade the memory of a Mac+ and a
Mac II to 2 Mbytes each in what I had thought to be a clever way.  In
fact, it is clever: it saves money, it is cognizent of the limited num-
ber of memory configurations possible for the Mac+ and Mac II, and it
works.  However, in so doing, I stumbled upon two disturbing Apple
policies that could stop people less insistant than I was in pursuing
this issue.

1. According to the APDA draft of the Macintosh Family Hardware Manual,
both the Mac+ and SE can be populated with just two 1 Mbyte SIMMS. On
the logic boards for either, there are two positions for level-
determining resistors to be added or removed.  On the Mac+ they are
labeled R8 and R9.  R8 is factory-installed and signals that the default
256 Kbyte SIMMS are present.  R9 is not factory installed, but when
installed, it signals that only two SIMMS, and not the normal four, are
present on the board.  In order to upgrade my Mac+ to 2 Mbyte, then, we
reasoned that we could remove R8 and place it in the R9 position and
place the two new SIMMS in a position closest to the 68000, as described
in the APDA draft.  This should have been simple stuff that any Apple
trained technician should have known about and been able to do, right?
Well, Apple did not tell our service people, during their training or in
their service manuals, that this is a possible configuration because it
involves SOLDERING ON THE LOGIC BOARD.  Apple is forbiding their level 1
service personnel (is there a higher level?) from soldering.  Apple
expects people who buy the 2x1 Mbyte SIMMS to upgrade to 2.5 MBytes,
which only requires cutting R8 from the board--no soldering.  I had to
promise that I knew that I might be loosing my board-exchange privileges
in insisting that this be done.  (Boy, am I scared!  I think that in the
future, I will go back to just fooling around with the boards of my
PDP-11.)  I did not want to leave two of my old 256 Kbyte SIMMS in the
Mac+ as I wanted all four of the perfectly good 120 nsec parts for an
upgrade of the Mac II to 2 MBytes as well.  That's when I found out
about policy #2:

2. The old SIMMS are not mine; nor are they Apple's or my employer's
either.  In fact, they are supposed to CEASE TO EXIST.  Apple does not
want service people to return spare SIMMS to customers--too much danger
of static damage.  So, they become a non-rebatable, non-resellable,
confiscated part that is supposed to be of no use to anyone.  I was
okay, as I had an immediate home for them, as has any customer for half
of them who is having the 2.5 MByte upgrade done to a Mac+ or SE.  I
think that logically and legally these two cases are identical.

There seem to be a lot of caveats involved in upgrading memory and
Info-Mac has covered most of them in recent weeks.  At our University,
one person was burned in buying a single set of 2x1 MByte SIMMS for a
Mac II--you need two sets. (Unless there is an undocumented 2 SIMM
resistor on that logic board, too.  Does anyone know?)  There are a few
150 nsec SIMMS in Mac Pluses that cannot be used in Mac IIs.  If you
buy third-party SIMMS, you are free to install them yourself--which can
have warranty consequences.  If you buy Apple SIMMS, which are
price competitive and of assured quality, you MUST have them installed
by a certified technician and accept all the rules that they play by.
Finally, because Apple SIMM prices have just nose-dived, anyone now
buying memory should check that they are getting the most current
prices.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Oct 87 09:02:06 ADT
From: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Big Files in MS WORD 3.0.1

	Welcome to the group.  I reported that bug to Microsoft Canada
(who in turn reported it to Microsoft US) when I first got 3.0.1.  The
exact problem is as follows: Given a text file 64K (i.e 64 * 1024) or
larger, if there is a CR (which equates to a paragraph mark in internal
Word format) at any exact multiple of 64K, Word 3.0.1 will go absolutely
screwy.  Microsoft US claims to know of the problem, but I haven't heard
of a fix as yet.  The problem is trivial to reproduce using your
favourite programming language, generate 1024 lines of 63 characters and
a carriage return, and read it into Word.
	If it isn't a text file, then the problem returns at the same
point but it is harder to produce given Word's internal format.
	The only solution that I found was to read my file first into
Word 1.0.5, save it, and then read it into Word 3.0.1, or using some
text editor replace the CR (or the paragraph mark) by something like a
space and get it later once you are in Word 3.0.1.
	The symptoms of the problems are that repagination goes on
forever, or the save increments up to a certain number and cycles back
to 68% and up to that number; or you can't scroll past the offending
point, or you can scroll but start getting internal code from MS Word.
	If you pass this information on, please state my name and that
of Gavin Hemphill's as having found the bug, and researching it to
completion.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 87 07:48:26 EDT
From: Dan_Yuval@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: ImageWriter 2 in Europe.

Has anyone worked with an American ImageWriter 2 in a 220V 50H current
(using a transformer, of course)??  I have used an ImageWriter 1 and I
experienced no problems?  Should I expect any?

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Oct 87 13:21:51-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #78

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, October 5, 1987        Volume 3 : Issue 78

Today's Topics:
     Re: Fedit+
     Re: Possible LSC improvements
     Re: When will SE/II version of Inside M
     Virtual Memory with the Mac OS
     Experience with hard disk
     Orphans of Tecmar
     MacDraw or PICT Format Clip-Art?
     Saving info with text files (repost)
     HFS Menus on pre-4.1 systems
     Re: MultiFinder & LightSpeed C
     Re: Virtual Memory with the Mac OS
     hypertext vs. hypercards
     How Many Colors? (2 messages)
     LA50 driver around anywhere????
     STSC APL*PLUS for Mac II: any patches?
     How would you like an extra 500K of RAM for free?
     Re: How Many Colors?
     Re: Virtual Memory with the Mac OS
     Drawpicture from C - HELP!!
     Excel Meg Limit
     Hypercard question
     Re: hypertext vs. hypercards

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-78.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Oct 87 13:20:23-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #77

Usenet Mac Digest     Monday, October 5, 1987        Volume 3 : Issue 77

Today's Topics:
     MacPascal on a Mac II
     Re: Where can I get "Pyro"(?)
     Re: Printer Driver
     Re: Mac programmers shortage?
     Re: Mac II Screen Capture
     Re: MacPascal on a Mac II
     Modified DA's
     xerox nutmeg/hi-top monitor
     Large screen display for Mac
     imagewriter bidirectional mode
     Interested in people's experiences with APDA
     Enter Key Remapping
     PrOpenPage() question
     Re: DIY SCSI... It's done!
     Re: talking moose question
     Re: PrOpenPage() question
     Possible LSC improvements
     recommendations on Modula-2 compilers
     Re: VBL tasks, time manager
     Patch for Smart Alarms - disables incessant beeping
     C problem
     Mac II and HD booting problems
     Re: C problem
     Bug in Glue for wordbreak routines
     Any info on Mac or Mac II Packages which make 35mm slides?
     Fedit+
     Disk Stickers (was Re: MacScheme Warning!)
     Re: Possible LSC improvements
     Decoding PICTs
     Re: MacCharlie
     Re: MPW2.0 bug/feature
     Re: Help (List Manager Example)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-77.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Oct 87 12:25:15-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #79

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 10, 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 79

Today's Topics:
     SE and mouse tracking
     Re: Hypercard question
     Re: Drawpicture from C - HELP!!
     A/UX Compatability
     Hypercard: Clicking on a text word
     Re: MacScheme Warning!
     another hypercard questions: card number (2 messages)
     xerox nutmeg/hi-top monitor
     Re: info needed about Nubus (esp. in Mac II)
     Re: Hypercard question (2 messages)
     Re: Status of Apple UNIX ?
     Software for reading stock prices
     Yet another HC bug?
     Need info on Inbox and Mail Center for Mac.
     Original Mac Battery
     Question: Sound Driver and LSC
     Trouble with OpenResFile("\pDeskTop"); (2 messages)
     Hypercard again (radio button)
     HyperCard-hypertext
     Help wanted:  MacinTalk parameters
     High performance APL
     Re: Hypercard again (radio button)
     MacBottom 144IHD for Mac II
     Radius Accelerator Comments

[archived as

SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-79.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Oct 87 12:25:56-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #80

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, October 10, 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 80

Today's Topics:
     Generic serial printer driver.
     Moonlighting
     Re: HyperCard-hypertext
     Re: C problem
     Re: SE and mouse tracking
     Re: Hypercard question
     Help on a LSP program
     What is .Bout for?!?
     Re: Virtual Memory with the Mac OS
     Re: Hypercard question
     Re: Hypercard again (radio button)
     A Macintalk Question
     Re: What is .Bout for?!?
     Re: When to HLock
     Re: Help wanted:  MacinTalk parameters
     Re: Help on a LSP program
     Crunched shell
     Re: Keycaps--Mathematical Symbols
     Re: Status of Apple UNIX ?
     Re: What is .Bout for?!?
     Cricket Graph bug?
     comments on tape backup sold by `apda' requested

[archived as

SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-80.ARC

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest