[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #41

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (10/14/87)

Date: Fri 28 Aug 87 19:52:49-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #41
To: Delphi-List: ;
ReSent-date: Wed 14 Oct 87 13:36:03-EDT
ReSent-from: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
ReSent-to: post-info-mac@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Delphi Mac Digest     Friday, August 28, 1987        Volume 3 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
     HyperCard Find (2 messages)
     HyperCard crashes (8 messages)
     HyperCard Number Formats (2 messages)
     OCR Scanner (4 messages)
     Disks trashed in shipping (2 messages)
     RE: HyperCard radio buttons (5 messages)
     hyperFonts (2 messages)
     RE: SERD .. 2 Resources?
     RE: Re: LSC and MultiFinder/Juggler
     OCR (3 messages)
     Zap SS SCSI drives
     MPW 2.0 patch
     Hyper's not hot points (2 messages)
     MACazine HyperCard stack
     HyperCard Upload (5 messages)
     accounting pgm. (2 messages)
     TMON 2.8 patch
     RE: HyperCard available (4 messages)

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: HyperCard Find
Date: 20-AUG 21:56 Programming

The Find command in HyperCard is nice and fast, but where's the Find
Again command?!  Can it even be programmed in?

Ric

------------------------------

From: JOSEF
Subject: RE: HyperCard Find (Re: Msg 21954)
Date: 27-AUG 13:30 Programming

Ric--the "Find Again" command is simply the 'Return' key!

Joe

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: HyperCard crashes
Date: 20-AUG 23:01 Bugs & Features

Has anyone else had strange bombs/crashes using HyperCard? I've had
problems with two different copies obtained from two different sources.
Once, I simply hit the backspace key while in a stack. BOOM! At one of
the user group sessioons the people from the Macazine said that they had
some coccasional crashes with it. A friend of mine just got a
HyperCharger for his SE. Before the HyperCharger, he had no problems
using the HyperCard he got from Apple (he's an Apple rep). Since the
upgrade, he's had numerous hangs and crashes that don't exhibit
themselves on other machines or in other software. Hmmm. Robert Hammen

Madison Macintosh Users Group

------------------------------

From: JOHNCRANE
Subject: RE: HyperCard crashes (Re: Msg 21956)
Date: 20-AUG 23:05 Bugs & Features

I've had the same copy of HyperCard perform nicely on one one-MB Plus
then usually refuse to open on another 2-MB Plus.  I increased the
system stack, and it has done find since then.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 21-AUG 01:52 Bugs & Features

I haven't had any crashes, but I saw some refresh problems while editing
in a scrolling field.  I was selecting and pressing backspace, and
sometimes it would update the screen incorrectly (the text was deleted
properly though).  I had to change to backspacing the insertion point
through the stuff I wanted to delete in order to keep track of what was
happening.  It also put some fragments of stuff (pieces of the thumb?)
in parts of the scroll bar where they should not have been.

But the worst bug so far is that HyperCard is HOSTILE TO DESK
ACCESSORIES! This is a BUG, Bill!  BUG BUG BUG!  (Basically you can't
keep the DA open while working in HyperCard because you can't get the
HyperCard window in front of it. Two things are needed:  the ability to
click the HyperCard window without closing the DA and a menu/control key
to send the HyperCard window to the back of the window list so the DAs
reappear.)

peter

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: HyperCard crashes (Re: Msg 21965)
Date: 21-AUG 20:04 Bugs & Features

It has some definite refresh problems running the new E-Machines Big
Picture software. The new E-Machines software allows you to run the
standard Mac screen with the Big Picture giving a 4x displ. This works
for most other Mac programs (except MacPaint & FullPaint), but not with
HyperCard (surprise!). It doesn't update the screen properly, and so
moving the mouse around on the Big Picture will "paint" the scre en.
It's an interesting effect. The other thing that bothers me about
HyperCard is that it is all bitmapped. I really want high-quality output
from my computer, and 72 dpi is not what I'd call high-quality.... Peter
- have you tried the Windows FKEY? It will usually let you cycle between
the currently active window and the ones behind it. I've got it
installed in my System but ripped HyperCard off my hard drive because I
needed the space (on an 80 megabyte drive!!!).

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 22-AUG 00:11 Bugs & Features

HyperCard is definitely going to take a hit in my review, but there are
a couple of ways to keep DAs open.  The easiest is to get a full page
display; you can keep the DA window below the HyperCard window (the
HyperCard window accepts clicks even when not frontmost, as long as one
of its windoids is in front).  If you have a standard Mac II or smaller
display, you can use a Windows DA (I use the one from BatteryPak) to
bring the HyperCard window back to the front.  (When I mentioned this to
one of the HyperCard team, she was surprised that it worked, but I've
had no problems.  I'm using Acta in this manner, to transfer text and
pictures from another application into HyperCard.)

Most applications already have a menu command to bring a DA window to
the front, and HyperCard is no exception.  Choose the DA from the Apple
menu.

BTW, I'm informed that scrolling fields were a late addition to
HyperCard.  This may explain any bugs.

Hmm, I think I see one reason icon buttons don't default to highlighting
(which I really think they should).  If you're on a Mac+, it makes them
slow to respond.  (On the II, the behavior is zippy.)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: HyperCard crashes (Re: Msg 22019)
Date: 23-AUG 15:33 Bugs & Features

You can bring any windoid to the front by clicking on it -- you don't
need to be using a paint tool.  I suppose if you're actually set to the
browse/type level, you wouldn't have any windoids...but I don't see why
anyone would want to be other than programming, even if they don't
intend to.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard crashes (Re: Msg 22035)
Date: 23-AUG 18:47 Bugs & Features

I disagree.  There are plenty of applications where you want to have a
nice fool-proof interface, no messing around allowed.  My impression is
that the scripts can still access the authoring levels even though the
user can't, but I haven't actually tried it.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: HyperCard crashes (Re: Msg 22040)
Date: 25-AUG 03:40 Bugs & Features

_Stacks_ may want to go to a lower level, but I don't know that most
users would need to.

------------------------------

From: OSKINTOUCH
Subject: HyperCard Number Formats
Date: 21-AUG 10:09 Programming

Does anyone have any elegant (easy) ways to format numbers in HyperCard?
Eg.  Adding $ and , to numbers?

Thanks,

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard Number Formats (Re: Msg 21969)
Date: 21-AUG 13:33 Programming

To put a dollar sign in front, use

     put "$" before number_field

To insert commas

     put length(number_field) + 1 into index
     repeat while index > 4
       put "," before char index of number_field
       subtract 3 from index
     end repeat

You will probably also want something to take care of leading
blanks/zeros, and since I haven't got the manual/online help handy, I'm
not sure who to go about that.

peter

------------------------------

From: MEUSE
Subject: OCR Scanner
Date: 21-AUG 20:34 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone know of a scanner that will do character recognition.  I
have heard Abaton will but not very well. Are there any rumored to be
out soon. Thanks for any info. Steve

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: OCR Scanner (Re: Msg 21984)
Date: 21-AUG 21:47 Hardware & Peripherals

Steve,

From all I've read, the state of the art in character recognition is
bad. It's usually better to hire a typist. Probably the best machine is
made by Kurzweil, at about $50,000.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PIPPIN
Subject: RE: OCR Scanner (Re: Msg 22009)
Date: 22-AUG 11:49 Hardware & Peripherals

The Kurzweil Scanner is not $50,000.  Current pricing is far less than
that, and you should contact them for more details. Kurzweil Computer
Products is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Kurzweil scanner
will read ANY font, learning them as it goes along, both proportional
spaced and monospaced. Columnar material as well as imbedded pictures do
not cause problems.  Graphics can be scanned as well. Barry

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 22-AUG 00:12 Hardware & Peripherals

Intelligent Optics Corp. will have a scanner...I wrote a portion of the
software which takes the recognized input and outputs a formatted
MacWrite document.  I haven't seen the actual scanner, but apparently it
recognizes different typefaces, and underlining.

IOC is in Conn.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Disks trashed in shipping
Date: 21-AUG 21:38 Business Mac

I just sold a Mac, and shipped it by Federal Express over to New Jersey.
Along with the Mac, in the original packaging, was a nice set of disks
containing recent System and Finder, etc. When it arrived, the Mac was
working, but the disks were all corrupted. Trying to boot the Systems
got problems ranging from a frozen Mac to "fireworks" on the screen! I
don't know how it happened - heat, magnetic fields, or what - but the
data was really corrupted. We are doing follow-up experimentation to see
if the diskettes can be reused by reinitializing them.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Disks trashed in shipping (Re: Msg 22066)
Date: 25-AUG 15:47 Business Mac

I don't believe anything except strong magnetic fields will make a disk
unreadible without cauing physical damage.  That means a strong
permanent magnet within an few inches or a degausser at a similar
distance.  I can believe X-ray machines could be degaussers, or electric
motors, etc.  Magnetic fields decrease in intensity as the inverse third
power of distance, which means they have very limited range in practice.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard radio buttons (Re: Msg 21986)
Date: 22-AUG 00:06 Programming

You can use bitmaps and text edit fields.  That's all.

It also occurs to me that even if I write an external command some how
to display a PICT (such as in a window floating above the HyperCard
window), I would have difficulty printing it!

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: HyperCard radio buttons (Re: Msg 21979)
Date: 22-AUG 00:11 Programming

What's this about not pasting PICTs?  You mean the fact that they turn
into monochrome bitmaps?

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard radio buttons (Re: Msg 22007)
Date: 22-AUG 01:46 Programming

Right.  I want a PICT field that will print as a PICT should when you
print the card, and a variation of the field style that has scroll bars
and some reasonable range of zoom (like 10:1).  This avoids the problem
of integer zoom of bitmaps ('fatbits') not bringing smaller detail into
view as the image zooms in.

For larger zooms of course, is it not practical to use a single PICT
because of the amount of unproductive rendering of details which are
smaller than a pixel when the PICT is zoomed out.  The best example of
what I mean is a solution to Josh's problem of selecting Rhode Island
from from a map of the USA.  All he would have to do is click the mouse
somewhere in New England in zoom-in mode (perhaps a double-click would
do this) and he would have no trouble selecting a feature that would be
uncomfortably small in the original view.  (There would still be the
problem of identifying the feature within the program!  All I am talking
about here is what the visual interface should look like.  For
converting the mouse location within the coordinates of the PICT to a
feature, you would need some additional data structures.)

Yes, you can do this with a bunch of bitmaps, but the zoomed in maps
have artifical boundaries in them which are difficult to work with
visually.  The PICT fields could be scrolled smoothly from one place to
another.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard radio buttons (Re: Msg 22021)
Date: 23-AUG 18:34 Programming

There is no such thing as a 'button region'.  Buttons are defined by
rectangles, always and forever.

When I find out more about external commands I will be able to answer
your other question.

peter

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: HyperCard radio buttons (Re: Msg 22037)
Date: 23-AUG 22:27 Programming

And forever?  Isn't that a little extreme?

Don't you think two years of additional hyper de-bugging will bring
suggestions to life?

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: hyperFonts
Date: 21-AUG 22:32 Bugs & Features

HyperCard uses the default (application) font to label icons, and in the
message box.  It's also the default font for the text tool and new
fields.  For all of these uses, except icons, I prefer New York 12.
Icons look much better labelled with Geneva 9 (the Home card mixes icons
and pictures).  To make HyperCard use your favorite font where you want
it, set the application font with one of Lofty Becker's programs, then
use Fedit+ to make the following change to HyperCard:

 Change 6720 3F2D F31E
 To            3C 0003    -- 0003 is Geneva

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: more hyperFonts
Date: 22-AUG 15:49 Bugs & Features

Here's another customization.  I happen to be a big hater of Monaco 9 --
it's the least attractive of Apple's screen fonts.  And HyperCard uses
it for the script window.  Luckily, the much more readable Courier 10 is
the same size, and the following patch (use Fedit+ to accomplish) makes
HyperCard use Courier 10 for scripts:

 change:  3F3C 0004 A887 3F3C 0009
     to:       0016           000A

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: SERD .. 2 Resources? (Re: Msg 21991)
Date: 22-AUG 01:07 Network Digests

>From: rcopm@koel.rmit.oz (Paul Menon)
>Subject: SERD .. 2 Resources?
>Date: 12 Aug 87 07:10:31 GMT
>More?

>hi,
>  The RAM based Serial Driver Resource (SERD) has two ID's.  I have
>guessed  that #1 is to be used with "RAMSDOpen" by looking at other
>programs.

One of the resources is the RAM driver for Macintoshes and the other is
the driver for the Mac XL (nee Lisa).

peter                          "In any context, half of all references
PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are global."

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Re: LSC and MultiFinder/Juggler (Re: Msg 21991)
Date: 22-AUG 01:12 Network Digests

>From: singer@endor.harvard.edu (Andrew Singer)
>Subject: Re: LSC and MultiFinder/Juggler
>Date: 19 Aug 87 18:50:10 GMT

>In a previous posting, "rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel)" wrote:

>> Just a comment -- Chuq (awesome dood :-) mentioned that LSC had problems
>> under Juggler, uh, MultiFinder.
>>
>>       This is an understatement. Lightspeed C *crashes* under Juggler...

Apple reports that the problem has been located and fixed in their
internal development version of MultiFinder.  I am assuming that means
it will be shipped with the bug fixed, but they didn't say in the
message I read.

From: SJL
Subject: OCR
Date: 22-AUG 04:02 Business Mac

 In the NEUMac News, in an article on the Boston Expo, the author
mentions that
 Olduvai's _Read It!_ software [OCR] works with any 300dpi scanner...
including
 _Thunderscan_ for just $149.   The author also mentions _PixelVision_
as an
 impressive video scanner.

 Any further info on these (or related ) products would be
appreciated...
 -Specifically, how to contact the companies and any opinions from
users.

 Thanks, maybe I can return the vary same favor when I attend
SanFrancisco in
 January!
           Steve LeClair, MacExplorers Phx.

 BTW, I was talking with Microtek and learned two interesting tidbits:

1.The Apple Scanner is real and is ready to ship. Microtek expected it
at the
 Expo but they are quessing that since it is being supplied by a
subsidiary of
 Toshiba Apple is having supply problems. My theory is that Apple is
merely
 waiting for the Seybold conference in Sept.

2.  OCR for the Mac exists with Microtek scanners.  A French firm is
   co-marketing with Microtek.  Apparently the software is very
sophisticated
   (it handles columns like telephone books for example) but is also
pricey at
  $4500.00.

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: OCR (Re: Msg 22022)
Date: 23-AUG 04:03 Business Mac

Olduvai is run by a guy named Juan something from Fla.  I just checked
around and can't seem to find the address but will get it for you
tomorrow morning if you still want it.  Read-It is not yet released but
they were showing it at the xpo.

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: RE: OCR (Re: Msg 22032)
Date: 23-AUG 22:26 Business Mac

They seems to have their act together.  I got one of their T-Shirts and
they're high quality so if that has anything to show... you're all set.
;-)

Josh

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH
Subject: Zap SS SCSI drives
Date: 22-AUG 10:01 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone had any experience with the so-called "Zap-SS" series of SCSI
hard drives?  They're real cheap, and advertised on page 275 of the
latest MacWorld (September).  They come in 10, 40, and larger sizes; the
10 Meg size costs only $400!  Sounds like a great alternative to an
external floppy--but only, of course, if it works!  Is it compatible
with the new System and Finder?  Does it break?  How noisy?  Etc. Any
help would be appreciated!  Thanks. --Jim Weinrich

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: MPW 2.0 patch
Date: 23-AUG 01:21 Programming

If you are using MPW 2.0 and have a problem with command-down arrow not
working right, it can be fixed by searching for 67202f032f0a and
replacing the 67 with a 60.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Hyper's not hot points
Date: 23-AUG 22:45 Bugs & Features

My complaint with HyperCard at the moment involves the I-beam cursors.
Their hot points are at the _bottom_ of the cursor, rather than at the
top like most cursors.  Worse, the system I-beam (used by desk
accessories and many applications) has its hot point at the top.  So
it's really awkward switching from selecting text in HyperCard to
selecting it in a DA (or another application).  Unfortunately, HyperCard
doesn't have any CURS resources.  I'd like to modify it to use the
standard cursor -- anyone have any clues?

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: Hyper's not hot points (Re: Msg 22044)
Date: 23-AUG 23:23 Bugs & Features

Err, how about trapping out on SetCursor and then tracing backwards to
see where the cursor structure is built up?

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: MACazine HyperCard stack
Date: 24-AUG 01:22 Creative Pursuits

You can get a copy of the MACazine HyperCard stack by sending $3 to:

 Max Vizsla
 HyperCoOrdinator
 c/o MACazine
 8008 Shoal Creek Bl.
 Austix, TX  78758

We'd put it in the database, but even with PackIt compression it would
be more than 650K to download.  You'll get a better deal ordering the
disk.  What it is, is a newsy, pictorial, loud (in some places) stack
with a lot of interesting ideas.  It's worth studying too, if you are
interested in seeing how other people are doing their stackware.

peter

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: HyperCard Upload
Date: 24-AUG 22:10 Public Domain

Peter,

I have a HyperCard XFCN (eXternal FunCtioN) that I wrote which I would
like to upload to the databases tonight. I'll be logging back on in a
couple hours. If you can set me up by then I'd appreciate it...

Thanks,

Steve

[ It has been posted to INFO-MAC. - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard Upload (Re: Msg 22052)
Date: 25-AUG 01:47 Public Domain

Drool ... you wouldn't happen to have instructions on how to call the 39
service routines (some not implemented) that HyperCard provides to its
XFCN/XCMD modules, would you?  I'd like to see that even more than an
example of XFCN code!

My other burning desire is to know how I can allocate private space on
the heap and later (i.e., in another invocation of my XFCN or in another
cooperating XFCN) locate it.

Anyway, it will be set up shortly.

peter

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: RE: HyperCard Upload (Re: Msg 22060)
Date: 25-AUG 02:18 Public Domain

Peter,

I hesitate to upload that stuff as I haven't heard that it is cool to
post yet. If I find out that it IS cool to post, I will immediately! I
have them all here on my hard disk. As a matter of fact, my example uses
one of them.

As far as private storage on the heap, I suppose you could simply make a
resource of some unique type ("peab" #0?) and just do a GetResource to
recover the handle. If you DO get the handle, you're in business. If not
you do what every well-written Mac application does -- you crash! Just
kidding. It is an interesting problem and I think the idea of a private
resource (semi-private I guess) makes sense. Do you think that'd work? I
think it would. But you are essentially a "stranger in a strange land"
so you DO have to be careful... I have some pretty groovy ideas for
XCMDs and I'm going to try and do at least one more this week.

Steve

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard Upload (Re: Msg 22061)
Date: 25-AUG 15:41 Public Domain

The private resource will certainly work, and in the context of
read-write stacks is just fine.  I don't find it very appealing though,
because of the overhead of calling GetResource and because in the future
when stacks are shareable, the resource fork cannot be opened for
writing.  I have never had a clear idea what the meaning of writing
resources in memory only is (i.e., whether that very useful feature is
really supported, where you could make temporary non-purgeable resources
that are not intended ever to be written to disk.)

Another thing I'd like to see is a way of declaring additional
function/command names from a single module.  As you know, only one name
can be associated with a module through the use of a resource name.
Since you typically need to provide a little *bundle* of related
resources (did I actually say that :-) it would be awfully nice if there
was a way of tying them together.

The ideal solution to the private memory problem would be to create what
some operating systems call a "bound procedure variable", which is an
entry point plus a pointer to private memory.  The pointer to private
memory would be passed as an additional hidden parameter on calls to the
procedure, much like the use of "self" in MacApp. While I'm rattling
away, what's the story on creating new object classes in HyperTalk?  If
there was a way to do that, it would solve a lot of these gritty little
problems!

peter

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: RE: HyperCard Upload (Re: Msg 22069)
Date: 26-AUG 03:08 Public Domain

         As far as your ideas re HyperCard, my ideal would be to add new
PROPERTIES to objects. For example, I would like to be able to say "the
size of file XXX" or "the pathname of file XXX". There seems to be no
way of creating objects or adding properties to existing ones.

As far as trashable "in memory only resources" it is trivial. If you
don't call _ChangedResource the resource is NOT written when the file is
updated even if something about the resource has changed. And if you
call HNoPurge (myResourceHandle) you can be pretty sure that it will be
relatively immortal. (huh?) You know what I mean.

                Steve

------------------------------

From: KEYBOARDER
Subject: accounting pgm.
Date: 24-AUG 23:36 Business Mac

I am about to purchase a Mac+. Can anyone give me some recommendations
on an accounting program? I need  a program that will handle General
Ledger, AR, AP ( preferrably a double-entry system). Also, one that will
print invoices and maybe even estimates/quotes. It will be used for a
small-bued operation. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: accounting pgm. (Re: Msg 22054)
Date: 25-AUG 11:02 Business Mac

A friend of mine looked around quite a bit and ended up with one from
Great Plains Software. They seem to be good about support, but they do
charge for it. I'd check them out.

Ric

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: TMON 2.8 patch
Date: 25-AUG 21:26 Tools for Developers

There is a logical omission in the TMON 2.8 User Area that sets up
conditions for a later crash if you use the ExitToShell function while
Suitcase is running
-- the existing code closes the suitcase files at the file (not resource) level,
so the maps are still around, and when you later try to open a DA or use a font,
etc., in one of those files, nasty things happen.

The changes to the UA source code are as follows:

NotMFS
                SUB     #ioFCBQElSize,SP
                MOVE.L  SP,A0
                MOVE.W  #1,ioFCBIndx(A0)        ;12/6/85 IM: File Manager says this is a long word!
CheckFCB
                CLR.W   ioVRefNum(A0)
                CLR.W   ioRefNum(A0)
                _GetFCBInfo
                BMI.S   FCBErr
;;;;;;;;;               MOVE.W  ioRefNum(A0),D1         ;SLB 8/22/87
                Move    ioRefNum(A0),D3         ;SLB 8/22/87
                BEQ.S   AdvanceFile
;;;;;;;;;               CMP.W   SysMap,D0               ;SLB 8/22/87
                Bsr.S   IsRsrcFile              ;SLB 8/22/87
                BEQ.S   AdvanceFile
                _Close
AdvanceFile
                ADD.W   #1,ioFCBIndx(A0)
                BRA.S   CheckFCB
FCBErr
                CMP.W   #fnOpnErr,D0            ;fnOpnErr means that we have
covered all files!?
                BEQ.S   DidAllFiles
                BRA.S   AdvanceFile

;D3.W = file refNum. Return CCR Z set if it's a resource map refNum,
;D1-->D3 SLB 8/22/87
;i.e., a resource file that was not closed by the CloseResFile loop.
;If so, it's either the System file or CloseResFile was patched.

----------------------

Fedit Patch to User Area:

change: 7008 A260 6B14 3028 0018 6708 B078 0A58
to:     7008 A260 6B14 3628 0018 6708 6114 4E71
diffs:                  X             XXXX XXXX

This will not give the exact same UA as reassembling, because the binary patch
includes a NOP to keep the same length.

I'm not sure why, but the original pattern can't be found in TMON itself; it is
found only in a saved User Area.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard available (Re: Msg 22104)
Date: 28-AUG 13:53 Mousing Around

The password scheme is not a very secure lock.  I think it is mainly there to
keep casual exploration from damaging a stack, rather than to make a script
secure.  (Nothing in the file is encrypted, and with Fedit+ you can figure out
quite readily how to clear the password.)

peter

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: HyperCard available (Re: Msg 22114)
Date: 28-AUG 14:25 Mousing Around

This is odd, because there is all this stuff in the help stacks about the
password encryption process.  I've just been exploring, with little help
from either Goodman or the help stack, both of which seem to be real limited
in discussions of passwords.  Here's some stuff I've found:

If you link to a password protected stack, you have to enter the password
when the linking button is pressed. Similarly, when you try to return to a
password protected stack, you must enter the password of the stack you're
returning to. If both stacks use the same password, however, you don't have
to enter it. I had trouble finding information about passwords in Goodman's
book. Is there some kind of special password variable? I can't find mention
of it.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: HyperCard available (Re: Msg 22119)
Date: 28-AUG 17:05 Mousing Around

I thought that the password, once entered, would stick for the duration of your
HyperCard session!  If you have to keep entering it on return, that is a
problem.

I actually didn't try a completely password-protected stack.  The ones where you
limit the access level certainly are not encrypted.  The password is encrypted
and you cannot figure out the password from the hashcode in any very reasonable
way.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: HyperCard available (Re: Msg 22121)
Date: 28-AUG 18:12 Mousing Around

Yes, the password, once entered, stays around. If you open a stack with a
*different* password, you get a chance to enter the new one. On returning to
the former, password-protected stack, you have to change once more.

Ric

End of Delphi Mac Digest