[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #45

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (10/14/87)

Date: Tue 29 Sep 87 10:11:40-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #45
To: Delphi-List: ;
ReSent-date: Wed 14 Oct 87 13:37:01-EDT
ReSent-from: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
ReSent-to: post-info-mac@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Delphi Mac Digest     Monday, September 28, 1987     Volume 3 : Issue 45

Today's Topics:
     PAPA -8192 (2 messages)
     Lightspeed C tricks (3 messages)
     Looking for LaserHack in all the wrong p
     fortran xcmd's ? (4 messages)
     Toshiba 321 printer
     Mac II Monitor <-> EGA?
     fASTbACK... (2 messages)
     Red Ryder 10.0 (5 messages)
     WARNING!
     re: Problem with Day/Month Edit...
     MacXL Parameter Ram (2 messages)

From: DADAMS
Subject: PAPA -8192
Date: 21-SEP 08:41 Programming Techniques

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE FORMAT(STRUCTURE) OF LASERWRITER RESOURCE "PAPA"
ID=-8192?

THANKS EARLY...
  DEWAYNE

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: PAPA -8192 (Re: Msg 2067)
Date: 23-SEP 00:08 Programming Techniques

"103 bytes of hex data (PAPA=GNRL) that should be all 0s initially.  The
Chooser maintains this data; it begins with a string (including length
byte) giving the name of the currently chosen printer."

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: Lightspeed C tricks
Date: 22-SEP 03:17 Programming Techniques

Has anybody figured out a way to do preprocessor symbol concatenation in
Lightspeed C? All the usual tricks (e.g. this/**/that) don't seem to
work. One of the drawbacks of a single-pass compiler, I suppose (if it's
not possible!).
        Ceers, Dewi.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Lightspeed C tricks (Re: Msg 2069)
Date: 22-SEP 11:37 Programming Techniques

K & R (and I assume H & S) have never said that preprocessor
concatenation of the type you describe is possible.  One of the beauties
of the forthcoming ANSI standard is that it specifies what the
preprocessor should do and gives a bunch of new techniques for fancy
kinds of substitutions (such as being able to put the result of a
substitution into a string constant).

I'm not sure what you are trying to do though.  Can you show the macro
and the way you want to use it?

peter

------------------------------

From: DEWI
Subject: RE: Lightspeed C tricks (Re: Msg 2070)
Date: 23-SEP 00:08 Programming Techniques

K&R managed to keep pretty quiet about the preprocessor. The "glue
together with a comment" trick comes from the Reisner (sp?) version of
cpp. A long time ago, I had used it in a pretty intricate debug package
where you could say
    debug(CATEGORY1, (something...)) and compile-time switch categories
on and off. It helped when a program run generates a 200K debug file!
Details I can't post, because I'll have to reconstruct the logic!
        As you say, none of this is portable. Dewi.

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: Looking for LaserHack in all the wrong p
Date: 22-SEP 17:13 Hardware & Peripherals

I have come across a need to do frequenty manual feeding on the
laserwriter with various single sheets.  The problem?  Everytime the
LaserWriter dialog appears, the manual feed radio box becomes
unselected.

Does anyone know of a hack to make the driver remember that the manuak
't involve a mouse.  What I'm looking for is a way to hit command-p and
return.

Joshua

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND
Subject: fortran xcmd's ?
Date: 22-SEP 22:30 Programming

Has anyone considered trying to do a fortran xcmd (for example with
Absoft Fortran) ? I know that's a little like trying to mate a model T
and a rocket but there are lot's of numerical routines that it would be
nice to have the HyperCard interface to ; for example the Numerical
Recipes.

Mike Burns

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Subject: RE: fortran xcmd's ? (Re: Msg 22541)
Date: 22-SEP 23:11 Programming

Mike, the numerical recipies book has the source code books available in
pascal as well as fortran.  best jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 23-SEP 00:11 Programming

If you can make Fortran produce an FKEY resource, you may be able to do
it. However, you will need some way of following pointers from the
single argument that HyperCard passes to you, and this may prove to be a
little awkward.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: fortran xcmd's ? (Re: Msg 22554)
Date: 24-SEP 09:18 Programming

By FKEY, I meant "code resource" in general.  Basically you need to
produce a single segment that is self-contained and whose entry point is
at offset zero within the segment.  No jump tables, no global variables,
and no other resources (except you can package other resources and use
for example the resource name to locate them -- there is no convention
for "owned" resources and renumbering like there is with desk
accessories).

If FORTRAN doesn't support this readily, you might be able to write a
main program in assembly langauge and link it with a FORTRAN subroutine.
 Even though it comes out as CODE 1 from the link, if it is truly
self-contained it may work.  Be VERY CAREFUL about implicit references
to A5 globals!   Even if you eliminate all globals from your own code,
FORTRAN may reference some which it believes it has set up for its
runtime support.  A5 points to the HyperCard globals, not to the
mythical FORTRAN globals.

Generally XCMD/XFCN routines pass as the first parameter throughout all
subroutine calls the address of the HyperCard parameter block.  You
could do this, or you could allocate on the heap a workarea for the
duration of the call and pass that to all subroutines, as a substitute
for global variables.

peter

------------------------------

From: MUSEUM
Subject: Toshiba 321 printer
Date: 23-SEP 19:23 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone used the Toshiba 24 pin printers with the Mac?  I recently
got a p321 at an auction, and am waiting for my new driver to arrive,
and wondering whether its going to be worth the trouble.  Are the
downloaded fonts any better than with the Imagewriter, or just the
built-ins?  Can one do something on the order of using a 36 point image
to print a 12 point font in extra high resolution?

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: Mac II Monitor <-> EGA?
Date: 23-SEP 23:18 Hardware & Peripherals

this is very obscene, but does anyone know if the Apple HiRes Color
monitor can be driven by the PC's EGA board?

I have also seen comments that say the NEC MultiSynch can be driven by
the Apple video board.  Anyone have a cable description that would
enable that? (no, this isn't for me; just some misguided hardware folks
who seem t to believe in their PC's.)

thanks, Godfrey

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: fASTbACK...
Date: 24-SEP 11:54 Programming

Has anyone seen the release of fastback?  it's out for the mac...

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: fASTbACK... (Re: Msg 22567)
Date: 24-SEP 19:04 Programming

I don't think they're actually shipping yet. I talked with them at the
Mac expo and asked for a review copy.

Ric

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Red Ryder 10.0
Date: 24-SEP 23:25 Bugs & Features

Well, I finally got my Red Ryder 10.0.  I'm not impressed.  In the first
five minutes of use, it bombed five times....  It isn't compatible with
old procedure files;  they apparently have to be converted back to text
in an old RR and then "compiled" under the new one.  The new buffered
keyboard setup is screwy too.

Brian

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Red Ryder 10.0 (Re: Msg 22583)
Date: 26-SEP 00:47 Bugs & Features

  I hope I don't get to much fire on this one but I really love 10. It
is a major improvement over 9.4 and the other terminal programs out
there. The ability to use DAs while downloading/uploading is really
nice. As a neat use for it, I was able to create procedures with
NotePad+ for filling out the upload information, while I was uploading
the files. The only negative so far is that it has one known bug in
using the phonebook - it won't load in the settings file. But as soon as
Scott gets the latest version of Paragon's PUP encrytor, he'll post the
fix. I also hope he ads support for MultiFinder really quickly since DAs
are run as separate apps. under it.
  I haven't had it bomb and that's with heavy use since August - I got
lucky with being one of the first upgrades. The only thing I'd like to
see fixed is it's VT-100 emulation. It's been flaky at best, though this
may be due to the UNIX box I'm calling into being a little on the moody
side.

Brian

------------------------------

From: HAMMEN
Subject: RE: Red Ryder 10.0 (Re: Msg 22591)
Date: 26-SEP 03:08 Bugs & Features

I have noticed problems with the VT 100 emulation as well. I guess
Watson will never learn how to do it correctly. I'm going to stick with
VersaTerm - the best VT100 emulation (I use VT100 all of the time), and
it now does background downloads with MultiFinder (if only I could use
MultiFinder...).

Robert

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Red Ryder 10.0 (Re: Msg 22594)
Date: 26-SEP 09:40 Bugs & Features

If only VersaTerm had the procedure-writing power of Red Ryder, I'd
switch right over. The turn around time on getting RR10 after sending in
your money seems to be months. I'm pretty disappointed with RR10 after
all the initial hype, but at least it runs on a 68020 machine, and
scrolling is still much faster than Microphone. One annoyance is that
you must scroll to the bottom of the screens list before you can use the
Edit menu, even in you're in a DA and RR is idle.
  The procedures are *not* the same, and I haven't seen any conversion
utility. I don't think there's any option for encrypting passwords yet
either.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MADMACS
Subject: RE: Red Ryder 10.0 (Re: Msg 22597)
Date: 28-SEP 03:00 Bugs & Features

Ric,
  You can use some of the old Red Ryder routines provided they were
fairly simple commands. The biggest thing is to strip any information
that involves setting terminal preferneces since that has changed.
Scrolling to get to the bottom menu is an annoyance but not much of one
with the new option-click feature. That's one of the best improvements
in Red Ryder, when you do an archive all screens is doesn't start until
the text starts. It was really a pain too when I had 250 screens stored
and only the last 50 filled. Now w/10.0 that's gone - all we need now is
MultiFinder support.

Brian Bezanson

------------------------------

From: VASMUG
Subject: WARNING!
Date: 26-SEP 07:37 Bugs & Features

Greetings
     I wish I had better news.  I just got finished reviving my 20meg
hard drive from a spectacular crash caused by UP-TIME the On-Disk
Magazine. The hard drive was not even in control at the time - but an
innocent external drive.
    I do not know where the problem lies, either with the SE (with
latest system, standard commercial DAs, LaserWriter driver, etc. or the
BASIC used to run UP-TIME.
    BE ADVISED. Fred.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Problem with Day/Month Edit... (Re: Msg 22578)
Date: 26-SEP 21:26 Network Digests

 > From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@SPOCC.STANFORD.EDU>
 > Subject: Problem with Day/Month Edit...

Probably the program is changing the INTL 0 or INTL 1 resource instead
of the itl0 or itl1 which the newer System uses.  ResEdit has a template
to edit these

two resource types.

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

------------------------------

From: JSTIFF
Subject: MacXL Parameter Ram
Date: 27-SEP 14:08 Hardware & Peripherals

Are there still any Lisa/MacXL experts still available?  I somehow
clobbered Parameter RAM and the portA, portB and font integer records
are all set to zero. This causes any communications program which I try
to start to bomb with ID=26 fairly early in the launch.  I can view the
contents of parameter RAM with PRAM, but when I try to use "Control
Panel 2" in PRAM to re-set the values of these records, I get an ID=02
bomb while Control Panel 2 is in the middle of setting itself up.  I am
using a Sun 20MB hard disk and their modified MacWorks, and I don't
think I can just replace MacWorks, pull to plug to clear the memory in
the clock chip, and go with new default values.  I have also read the OS
Utility part of IM and don't get any help there, especially concerning
the Lisa/MacWorks implementation of parameter RAM.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: MacXL Parameter Ram (Re: Msg 22618)
Date: 27-SEP 17:46 Hardware & Peripherals

My recollection from talking with Lisa experts is that Lisa parameter
RAM is contained in the disk controller chip, and thus works quite
differently from Mac parameter RAM.  Presumably there is a battery
connected somewhere in the Lisa which could be removed to clear out any
very weird values in the PRAM, if that is what is causing Control Panel
2 to die.  The operating system should take acre of the differences in
access at the phsical level, so it may be that one of the PRAM utilities
would help you out.

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------