[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #127

Moderators.David.Gelphman@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Dwayne.Virnau...@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, Lance.Nakata@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (10/16/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 15 Oct 1987     Volume 5 : Issue 127

Today's Topics:
                    LASERWRITER FONT SCALING PROBLEM
                            Scrolling Bitmaps
                      source code examples wanted!
                        Routine to copy resources
     Hypercard script for importing <info-mac>, usenet, delphi, etc.
                    Word 3.01 Bi-Directional Printing
                           DiskTimer II Claims
             Last word on 80386(PS-2/80) vs. 68020 (Mac II)
                          Appletalk on Ethernet
                           MacDraw file format
                     Extending HyperCard Help stacks
                         hypercard mailing list?
           Question: does Mac MS-Word like plain ASCII files?
                         Screensavers for Mac II
                             memory upgrades
                          ada for the macintosh
                            Control Panel mod
                               DISK TESTER
                            SDLC for the Mac
                    SCREENS HURT EYES (Mac SE, Plus)
                  Looking for math and physic programs.
                         HiTop Full page monitor
                             FullWrite delay
                    Turbo Pascal Upgrade 1.0 to 1.0E
                           What is hypercard?
                            Apple Consortium

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 87 15:07:23 SET
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LASERWRITER FONT SCALING PROBLEM

I URGENTLY NEED HELP ON A LASERPRINTING PROBLEM.

I PRINT QUICKDRAW PICTURES FROM MY APPLICATION WHICH CONTAIN DRAWPICTURE AND
DRAWSTRING COMMANDS AMONG OTHERS. I ALSO USE THE SETLINEWIDTH PICCOMMENT.
I KNOW ABOUT TECH NOTE NO. 35 AND HAVE REMOVED ALL TXRATIO OPCODES.
THE FIRST PAGE I PRINT IS PERFECTLY OK. HOWEVER ALL FOLLOWING PAGES
CONTAIN HUGE (I.E. 48 TO 96 POINT CHARACTERS INSTEAD OF SMALLER SIZES).
I'M USING THE GENEVA FONT WITH FONT SUBSTITUTION SELECTED IN PAGE SETUP,
SYSTEM 4.1, LASERWRITER 4.0. I'VE TRIED TO RESET TEXTSIZE(0) AFTER EACH
PROPENPAGE, IN VAIN. THE PICTS PRINT OK ON THE IMAGEWRITER...
THERE MUST BE A WORKAROUND, AS OTHER APPLICATIONS CAN PRINT MULTIPAGE
MIXED TEXT AND GRAPHICS.

AS MY APPLICATION HAS TO BE FINISHED NEXT MONTH, I REALLY NEED ADVICE
 URGENTLY.

THANKS VERY MUCH
            NORBERT

------------------------------

Date: Tue 13 Oct 87 06:50:02-PDT
From: Timothy Burcham <B.BURCH@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Scrolling Bitmaps

Does anyone have suggestions or example code to illustrate scrolling
bitmaps?  I have done scrolling text and 'PICT's (w/o  bitmaps, of course),
but I am not as sure how to proceed to code scrolling bitmaps.

Thanks in Advance....

Timothy Burcham

b.burch@lear
BITNET:  MA.TSB@STANFORD
MCI:     TBURCHAM
/*********************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 15:02:14 EDT
From: Jeremy Bornstein <JEREMY%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: source code examples wanted!

I am a newcomer to Mac programming.  So far, I have found Transkel.c (by
Paul Dubois) extremely useful.  Is there any skeleton program around for
desk accessories?
Also, I would be quite interested in source code examples, preferably in
LightspeedC, of:
   DAs which use windows
   Modeless dialogs which use useritems  (i'm mostly interested in the
      procedure to draw the useritems)
   CDEFS of any sort

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-Jeremy Bornstein
JEREMY@BROWNVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 16:03:51 EDT
From: ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Routine to copy resources

Does anyone know of any simple method to copy resources from one file to
another? I am writing a program where a user may edit a new file. The program
stores the current contents of the file in a temporary file on the disk. Then,
when the user selects File/Save, the program should copy the resources from the
temporary file into the other.

Atul Butte
Brown University

------------------------------

Date: 12 Oct 87 20:27 EDT
From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Hypercard script for importing <info-mac>, usenet, delphi,
Subject: etc.

Here's a tiny, trivial script to take in a text file such as a usenet
digest, split it into cards at any line containing "---", and load it
into a stack.  It's interesting to use to experiment around with large
stacks.  I've found that, published claims to the contrary, the actual
searching speed for arbitrary text is 10-50 seconds/Megabyte on a Mac Plus
(and the rate of importing text into a stack is several hours/Megabyte).
   ========
on mouseUp
  ask "Import from what file?"
  if it is empty then exit mouseUp
  put it into fileName
  open file fileName
  repeat
    doMenu "New Card"
    put empty into tempStor                    -- initialize accumulator
    repeat for 100 times                       -- max of 100 lines/card
      read from file fileName until return     -- grab one line
      if it is empty then                      -- end of file
        close file fileName
        exit mouseUp
      end if
      put it after tempStor
      if offset ("---", it) > 0 then exit repeat   -- found end of item
    end repeat
    put tempStor into field "Article"           -- display item
  end repeat
end mouseUp
   ==========
Please send me improvements on the above first, crude effort!  It seems
much faster to put the imported text into a container rather than directly
into the field (perhaps because it doesn't have to do TECalText every line?).
Fields musn't have >30,000 characters in them, hence the 100 line limit
above on lines/card.  15-Oct-87 13:03:58-PDT,765;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 15:56:01 EDT
From: ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Word 3.01 Bi-Directional Printing

jpm@howtek.UUCP asked how to get bi-directional printing with Word 3.01. The
answer is the following.
   1. Hold down Option and Command, THEN select the File/Print menu.
   2. Press down Caps Lock, then press OK.
   3. Nothing will print, so select File/Print again, without holding down
      any keys.
   4. Press OK without any keys.

Word should then be set for bi-directional printing. I found this tidbit of
information in the October MacUser (in the TipSheet section).

Atul Butte
Brown University

------------------------------

From: decvax!masscomp!wang7!ephraim@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 87 22:25:36 edt
Subject: DiskTimer II Claims

In a recent info-mac, Norm Fong of FWB gave DiskTimer II figures for
FWB's "Hammer" drives without adequately pointing out why the figures
are grossly misleading.  DiskTimer II figures are based on repetitive
operations involving a single area of a disk (or two small, separate
areas in the case of the seek test).  FWB's disk drivers have a
sizeable private cache.  So, when DiskTimer II gives a time for
"100 24K reads" on an FWB drive, it's actually the time for one
24K read and 99 retrievals from local cache.  Same story, essentially,
for writes and seeks.  Since an actual user's cache hit rate is
usually somewhat less than 99%, your actual performance will be
enormously worse than these figures suggest.

Ephraim Vishniac
masscomp!wang7!ephraim

------------------------------

Date: 13 Oct 87 22:36:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Last word on 80386(PS-2/80) vs. 68020 (Mac II)

              MAC II vs. PS-2/80, The last word (I hope)

Here are results for the now-infamous Byte benchmarks comparing the 80386,
as embodied in the PS-2, with the 68020, as incarnated in the Mac II. First
two columns in the table are due to David Betz from Byte/BIX, 3rd column is
my numbers for a Mac II-equivalent upgrade in a Mac+. I did floating point
tests in Fortran, since LSC doesn't yet have 68881 hardware floating point
support. The results show plainly that the 68020 is across the board a little
faster than the 386, and MUCH faster on floating point stuff.

             Mac II    PS-2/80		Novy Board in Mac+
             MPW C     Metaware C

Dhrystone:   2857      3626		3728 (LSC)
Fibonacci:   52.37     57.26		42.58(LSC)
Float:        0.65      1.62		0.96 (Absoft Fortran)
Savage:       3.40      9.49		3.30 ("         "   )
Sieve:        4.82      6.45		4.78 (LSC)
Sort:         7.53      7.74		14.53(LSC)

In my opinion, if Byte does not prominently publish a retraction of their
earlier results, then they are obviously trying to deliberately mislead their
readers.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 06:53:21 edt
From: thinder@nswc-wo.ARPA
Subject: Appletalk on Ethernet

We have a number of Mac users that would like to be networked. We have a
broadband coaxial cable running through out our site. What I am looking for
is a "Appletalk on Broadband" product. It would be the Apple equivilant to
the various "Ethernet on Broadband" products. What we DON'T want to do is
set up seperate "networks" and then bridge (read piece) them together. Use of
the phone lines is also not a solution, we don't own the wires. I'm not on the
list for distribution, so please respond to me directly, even by phone.

					Thanks in advance,
					  Thomas K. Hinders

				Network: thinder@nswc-wo.arpa
						or
					 thinder@nswc-oas.arpa

					Naval Surface Warfare Center
					Silver Spring MD
					(301) 394 4225 or 1802
					Autovon 290 4225

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 87 12:21:56 EDT
From: Wm Pearson <wrp@krebs.acc.virginia.edu>
Subject: MacDraw file format

	I recently purchased a Mac and have been very happy with LightSpeed
'C' porting a large package of DOS/unix DNA and Protein sequence analysis
programs.  Some of these programs generate graphical output, which I have
also done successfully, but I would like to provide versions of those programs
which write a MacDraw format file, so that figures drawn by my programs can
be more easily manipulated later.

	Where can I get the format for MacDraw files?

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU
...!uunet!virginia!wrp

[ note from moderator: the MacDraw file format is not available from Apple
but the PICT format is described in Technote #27. The Technotes are in
the archives here at Info-Mac and for those who can't FTP from the
archives they are available from APDA.   DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 87 21:54 EDT
From: <MANAGER%SKIDMORE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Leo Geoffrion)
Subject: Extending HyperCard Help stacks

HyperCard is indeed a superb product and the rapid proliferation
of Stacks and Hypertalk discussion attests to its timeliness.

I've been very impressed by the online HELP stack provided with
HyperCard, and have used it at the template for a new stack.

Our goal is to place a Mac near the entrance to our public Mac room on campus.
The new Help Stack will then help novices get started with the Mac.  It
will include, for example,
     info on the hardware and software available in the room
     rules for using the room
     basic introductory info about each major software product
        (e.g. FullPaint, Word, MacDraw, Excel, ...)

With a little ingenuity, I think it could prove very versatile for helping
novices learn about the computer and how to access the software.  Unlike
commercial tutorials, HyperCard lets me personalize the contents to
our specific situation.

I'd like to share information and stacks with fellow travelers.  Considering
the popularity of the Mac in higher-education, I suspect that there are
several others out there with a similar need and interest.

Leo D. Geoffrion                  BITNET:  MANAGER@SKIDMORE.BITNET
Associate Director for             NYNEX:  (518) 584-5000 Ext. 2628
Academic Computing
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY  12866

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 87 23:42:32 PDT
From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)

Is there interest out there for a separate hypercard programmer mailing list?
I have a feeling that HC stuff will start overwhelming both comp.sys.mac and
info-mac if we don't plan fof it now.

chuq

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 87 17:22 N
From: <SCHOMAKE%HNYKUN53.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lambert
From: Schomaker)
Subject: Question: does Mac MS-Word like plain ASCII files?

We are desperately in need of a conversion program that converts
(or at least tries to) convert regular ASCII files to a format that
Mac MS-Word 3.01 likes better. The carriage return is interpreted as
an end-of-paragraph separator which is not what one wants to, most of
the time. As soon as our secretaries get plain text files, they have to
struggle through the file, removing the spurious paragraph separators.
I cannot believe we are the only ones having this problem.
or <lf> -bounded records until (a) one empty line, or (b) a line that
starts with a <tab> or <blank> is encountered, and send out the
accumulated record, terminating with a single <cr> or <nl>, whatever.
Does such a program exist? Please answer to me directly since I am not
a subscriber of INFO-MAC.

      KKKKKUUUUNNNNN
      KKK  UUUU NNNN           Lambert Schomaker
      K    UUUU  NNN           SCHOMAKE@HNYKUN53.BITNET
      KKK  UUUU   NN           Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
      KKKKK UU     N

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 10:09:21 EDT
From: Steve Buyske <ST401266%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Screensavers for Mac II

     Are there any screensavers which run on the Mac II (Apple monitor)
and which can activate themselves after a certain amount of idle time,
a la Autoblack?

[ note from moderator: PYRO! from Software Supply does the job rather
nicely (although not as nicely as AutoBlack). It comes as a freebee with
PowerStation or Suitcase, both of which are excellent products. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 09:59:10 PDT
From: A. Joseph Rockmore <rockmore@ads.arpa>
Subject: memory upgrades

now that simm chips are becoming readily available, the memory upgrade
story is different than before.  it seems that all non-simm upgrades
have gone up in price (which is too bad for some who want an
inexpensive upgrade with no thoughts for future further expansion),
while simm upgrades have gone down.  but which ones are good?  which
are well supported?  which ram disk/cache programs are good?  if you
send your experiences with upgrades, both simm and non-simm, to me i
will summarize and post.  or, post replys directly.

	joseph rockmore
	advanced decision systems
	mountain view, california
	rockmore@ads.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 09:53:27 PDT
From: A. Joseph Rockmore <rockmore@ads.arpa>
Subject: ada for the macintosh

does anyone know about what (if anything) is being done in the way of
ada for the macintosh?  i don't expect a full implementation, nor a
validated compiler (i may be pleasantly surprised), but perhaps a
learning tool.  any information would be appreciated.  please reply to
one of these bboards, or directly to me.  if there is enough
substantive information sent directly to me, i will summarize and
post.  thanks in advance...

	joseph rockmore
	advanced decision systems
	mountain view, california
	rockmore@ads.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 	Thu, 15 Oct 87 10:59:26 PDT
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Control Panel mod

Here's an idea for the Control Panel, in the hope that someone with power will
listen...

I am getting all too many items in my Control Panel (ten at current count) and
on my Mac ][ I can scroll right past the one I want before I can blink.  What
is needed is the SFGetFile filter wherein you can type the first few letters
or so of a cdev name and bring it up.  That would be very helpful.

I realize there are problems should a cdev have an edit field, but none of the
cdevs present currently support such a thing and I seem to recall reading
that it was difficult, if not impossible, to do, so there shouldn't be any
conflict.

If anyone at Apple reads this, could you please mention it to Steve, Scott,
Kristee, and/or Amy?

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1987 11:26 PDT
From: GDCWOOD%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: DISK TESTER

I'm looking for a disk drive tester for Macintosh 400K and 800K drives.
In particular, the tester should provide information on the drives centering,
read/write functions, radial alignment, azimuth alignment, hysteresis, and
spindle speed.

We currently use a disk tester provided by Apple that is a go[Do/no go type
tester.  If there is a problem the tester simply indicates the drive is
bad.  It would be nice to know why the drive is bad; and in the case of
intermittent drive problems, it would be nice to know the tolerance factor
of the drive.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your
time and efforts.

Dan Calderwood
Academic Computing
Humboldt State University
BITNET: GDCWOOD@CALSTATE

------------------------------

Date: Thu 15 Oct 1987 14:37 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SDLC for the Mac

Does anyone out there know of an SDLC board for the Mac SE/ ][  or anyway
to hook a mac into an IBM mainframe using the SDLC protocol?  A friend of
mine here at school asked me to look into it.  If anyone has any information
whatsoever, please forward it to me directly.  If I get sufficient response,
I'll summarize to the list...

Thanx in advance...
Bye for now but not for long
Greeny

Bitnet: Miss026@ecncdc
Internet: miss026%ecncdc.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Disclaimer: What? Who? me? Nope...not me...you *MUST* have the wrong guy!!!

------------------------------

From: dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman)
Subject: SCREENS HURT EYES (Mac SE, Plus)
Date: 10 Oct 87 04:00:00 GMT
Sender: dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

Another screen was mildly irritating; I had to use it with the
intensity turned down low.

These screens feel harsh to my eyes; they also "feel" brighter than they look.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  (PLEASE BE ALERT TO PEOPLE YOU
KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT.)  If so, please reply to me directly.
You can also post on the  comp.sys.mac  bulletin board.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Here's more info:

The screens which bothered me had purple tint or blue with slight purple
tint.  I have inspected some of them; mfr is Clinton Taiwan Corp.

Eyes hurt much worse than what ophthalmologist describes here:

In article <993@ski.UUCP> dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye problems.
>All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the computer equipment
>itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering system causes eyestrain.
>... Staring at anything, but particularly a terminal, reduces the blink
>rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and air "burns" the conjunctiva
>and cornea.  This leads to dryness, grittyness, foreign body
>sensation, burning, and sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity).  It
>can feel just like UV keratitis (corneal burn).  ...
>Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas dry
>eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an over-the-counter
>preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime optional.

My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for months, not 1-2 days.
They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that mild
breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a walk
outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent Macintosh
computer screens (SE, Plus).  Prior to this experience, other
exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens (as well as other
computer screens) have never hurt my eyes.

Ophthalmologist's reply above is well meant but is not the explanation for
my symptoms.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps
milder or shorter lasting) please contact me directly.

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 11:28 N
From: <KELTKOL%HLERUL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for math and physic programs.

   Last week I received information about MacMath. It looks very nice, but
unfortunately I could not find a program for the periodic problem
 X''(x) + aX(x) = 0 .
Can somebody tel me his experience with MacMath ? Is it a course or a useful
program I can use with studying, can it handle any function ? The program
ANALYZER can find the derivative (symbolically) of a function; but how
complicated can a function be ? What are the restrictions ?
   I'm also looking for other mathematic and physic programs. For example on
the Atari and Cyber there is a program called SCHOONSCHIP. Does somebody know
if that program is available for the Macintosh?
   I am VERY VERY interested in programs that can fit data points in many ways,
especially if it is possible the user can define the kind of function.

I'm very thankful if you can send me any information to :

 ****  KELTKOL@HLERUL5.BITNET  ****

Thanks for reading,

Geert-Jan van Soest
Galgewater 38
2311 VZ  Leiden
the Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 8:16:54 MST
From: Major John Buono
From: <buono%asbf-imp.huachuca-em.arpa@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>
Subject: HiTop Full page monitor

Has anyone had any experience with the HiTop full page monitor that has been
recently advertised in MacWeek and MacUser.  It is marketed by Network
Specialities INC.  It is selling for 995 and seems to be a good buy.  Exept
I have not heard of it before and am a little leary of spending that kind
of money and not know what I am getting.

Thanks
John Buono

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 16:07:21 PDT
From: Stephen E. Miner <miner@spam.istc.sri.com>
Subject: FullWrite delay

I hate to admit that I've been eagerly waiting for vaporware, but
FullWrite sure sounds good in the ads.  It looks like I'll have to
wait a while longer -- ComputerWare just told me that they don't
expect to see it for another month (and they didn't seem too confident
about that.)  I'm glad I didn't take advantage of Ann Arbor's advance
purchase discount.

Can anybody confirm the rumor that some of the programmers have quit
because they lost their bonuses by missing the Oct. 1 shipping date?
Is Ann Arbor still looking for a merger?  If they're looking to sell
out, maybe FullWrite is worth more to them as vaporware.

-- Steve
miner@sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 87 16:01:58 EDT
From: ST602397%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Turbo Pascal Upgrade 1.0 to 1.0E

Does anyone know whether Borland is offering any upgrade policy from Turbo
Pascal 1.0 to 1.0E? What are the differences between the two versions? Does
1.0E allow programming on the Mac II?

Atul Butte
Brown University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 87 18:14:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: rj0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard A. Jones)
Subject: What is hypercard?

Can someone give a short synopsys (sp?) of HyperCard - ie what is it etc
also, what is the status of the MultiFinder?

confused and questioning

[ note from moderator: while I will not give a synopsis of Hypercard, I
believe that MultiFinder 1.0 is either being duplicated for distribution
or is nearly complete. It should be appearing in dealers very soon. DAVEG]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 87 15:45:12 PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Apple Consortium

If there is someone out there who has a current list of the schools
in the Apple University Consortium, I'd appreciate it if they would
send it to me (not to INFO-MAC, please!)  Thanks!

Steve Dennett
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa

End of INFO-MAC Digest