[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #50

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM (Jeffrey Shulman) (11/14/87)

Date: Sat 14 Nov 87 09:50:21-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #50
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Saturday, November 14, 1987    Volume 3 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
     RE: Novy Accelerator (2 messages)
     RE: Imagewriter II
     Re: MacWEEK accuracy?
     Re: MacWeek accuracy
     RE: C Compilers
     Attn: ResCopy users
     New Word 3.0x book (2 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #89
     Excel/MultiFinder problems (5 messages)
     Mac II Color Startup (2 messages)
     Radius Accelerator Slowdowns
     Suggestion for HyperCard (2 messages)
     Weird HyperCard problems (2 messages)
     Smalltalk-80 and Mac II (2 messages)
     re: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder) (2 messages)
     Sesame C compiler (2 messages)
     Help with Spooler
     PC Magazine Feature
     MOOSE
     Multifinder
     re: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks
     re: Color QuickDraw?
     MiniFinder?
     Word Companion (the Book)
     Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look (4 messages)
     PowerStation 1.1 patches
     Finder 6.0 bug
     Falcon
     DvorMac.
     A program Shell: FaceIt
     Mac serial drivers (2 messages)

From: ASMCOR
Subject: RE: Novy Accelerator (Re: Msg 23284)
Date: 6-NOV-21:34: Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks for the info. I've decided to get the 16mhz version. It's the
best bet with my current budget, I think. I have a Mac II that I use at
the office, and the Mac+ at home just seems too darn slow now. I'll post
my experiences with the board here.
 Jan

------------------------------

From: DWOOD
Subject: RE: Novy Accelerator (Re: Msg 23332)
Date: 7-NOV-01:11: Hardware & Peripherals

The same guy who recently sent back his clip-version Novy board just got
the solder on version today (took only a few days to get the
replacement).  He tells me that the unexplained bombs seem to have
stopped.  We have concluded that the clip was the problem.  -Doug

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Imagewriter II (Re: Msg 23304)
Date: 6-NOV-20:17: Hardware & Peripherals

I've been very disappointed in the ImageWriter II, finding the quality
not much better and the noise not much better and the mechanicals much
trickier than the ImageWriter I. It does seem faster and it supports the
AppleTalk card for the extra money, but I wish Apple still supported the
ImageWriter I fully, with software at least.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Re: MacWEEK accuracy? (Re: Msg 23276)
Date: 6-NOV-19:57: Network Digests

To: mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman) Subject: MacWeek accuracy?

  There are a number of reasons why technical inaccuracies creep into
articles in MacWEEK and other magazines. The biggest reason is that the
text usually gets edited by copy editors (or other editors) after a
technical editor reads it - if a technical editor does read that
particular article at all.
  However, MacWEEK has just hired Jon Swartz, a veteran networking
writer, and I think you'll see more news and more accuracy in the area
of networking topics from now on.
  I'll pass on your comments to add to the argument for more beef in the
copy editing department.

Ric Ford
MacWEEK Boston office
("Opinions expressed here are my own, not MacWEEK's.")

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Re: MacWeek accuracy (Re: Msg 23302)
Date: 6-NOV-20:15: Network Digests

To: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>
Subject: Re: MacWeek accuracy

  Barmar, you couldn't be further from the truth. "MacWEEK" is published
by Patch Communications, a direct competitor of CW Communications, and
"MacWEEK" is a trademark of Patch Communications. Patch is not
affiliated in any way with Apple Computer, Inc.
  CW Communications is the publisher of "Macintosh Today" (a trademark
of Apple Computer, Inc.) and is also the publisher of both "InfoWorld"
and "MacWorld."

Ric Ford
MacWEEK Boston
("Opinions expressed here are my own and not those of MacWEEK, Inc.")

------------------------------

From: DWB
Subject: RE: C Compilers (Re: Msg 23252)
Date: 7-NOV-01:43: Programming

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Borland was going to release
Turbo C for the Macintosh but don't quote me on it.  What you can quote
me on is that LightSpeed C is a much better environment on the Macintosh
than is Turbo C on the PC.

David

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: Attn: ResCopy users
Date: 7-NOV-12:17: Creative Pursuits

The stack that contains my ResCopy XCMD has one minor problem - the
"Help" button has not icon. Actually, it just got lost in the shuffle.
To fix this most annoying problem, do this:

        1) Open the message box

        2) Type:
              set icon of card button "Help with ResCopy" to 2

        3) Press [RETURN]

That's it... Sorry!

     Steve Maller
     Apple Computer

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: New Word 3.0x book
Date: 7-NOV-23:25: SIG Business

Just a quick note to Word users. There is a new book out, called "The
word companion: the definitive guide to microsoft word 3 for the Mac".
It's $19.95, about 700 pages, and from the Cobb Group (ISBN
0-93667-05-7). I"m just starting to plow through it now, but it looks to
be much better than "microsoft word 3.0 made easy" the other Word book
I've found. I'll do a full writeup after I've finished it, but anything
we can find to replace Microsoft's manuals has to be of interest....

chuq

------------------------------

From: NWOLF
Subject: RE: New Word 3.0x book (Re: Msg 23363)
Date: 8-NOV-01:04: SIG Business

..anything we can get to replace Microsoft's manuals has to be
_worthwhile_!

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #89 (Re: Msg 23348)
Date: 8-NOV-11:06: Network Digests

To: tom@jiff.berkeley.edu
Subject: Looking for high performace disks and controller cards for Mac II

You might want to look at the Hammer drives from FWB Software in
Berkeley. They are very fast, come in capacities of 80, 150 and 300 MB,
and have hard (and soft) partitioning capabilities. I don't know of any
vendor who has announced a hard disk with a DMA controller for the Mac
II.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Excel/MultiFinder problems
Date: 8-NOV-13:05: Bugs & Features

I'm having big problems trying to get Excel 1.04 to run under
MultiFinder. It's got a 5MB Mac II to use and it tells me there's not
enough "application memory" to run or print. Gimme a break! Anybody know
how to get it to work?

Ric (who can't *wait* for Modern Jazz)

------------------------------

From: JEFFS
Subject: RE: Excel/MultiFinder problems (Re: Msg 23396)
Date: 8-NOV-13:44: Bugs & Features

*ALL* MicroSoft products, due to their M-Code (or is it P-Code?)
intermediate language, will ONLY address 1MB (and the LOWER 1MB at
that.)  I heard Apple had to specifically modify MultiFinder so that
MicroSoft programs are loaded into the first 1MB of memory.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Excel/MultiFinder problems (Re: Msg 23401)
Date: 8-NOV-14:15: Bugs & Features

I've heard that 1.04 now addresses more memory. Anyway, how do I get
around it. I even tried shutting off the cache and everything else
because I knew about what you mentioned...

Ric

------------------------------

From: JIMH
Date: 8-NOV-14:16: Bugs & Features

Ric, i heard microsoft did some stupid things in memory management and
so yhou need to make sure that excel is the first app. loaded under
multidinder. best jim

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Excel/MultiFinder problems (Re: Msg 23404)
Date: 8-NOV-14:38: Bugs & Features

I been trying that, but so far no luck.  Maybe tomorrow it'll work.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DIVERDAN
Subject: Mac II Color Startup
Date: 8-NOV-17:28: Macintosh II

I need some help!!!  I followed the directions of the column in Nov
MacUser to make a color StartupScreen and had a big bomb.  Any
amplification?

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: Mac II Color Startup (Re: Msg 23418)
Date: 8-NOV-18:04: Macintosh II

What was the origional source of your startup screen?  How much memory
do you have.  I have a couple of startup screens that will not display
on my ( presently 1 MB) Mac II, but will on another one with 2 MB.  I
also created a startup screen that bombed by using Grayview with a
perfectly good b & w MacDraw PICT format file.

I suspect that there are severe restrictions as to what codes are
allowed in a startup screen PICT resource. In particular the display of
text may be totally verbotten. I have broached this subject before with
(so far) no real answer.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Radius Accelerator Slowdowns
Date: 8-NOV-17:46: Bugs & Features

Don Byrd found a problem with the Radius Accelerator for the SE. It's
subtle and weird, but I reproduced it on my own Accelerator. We're using
ROM version 1.8.

What happens is that some software triggers a slowdown in the
Accelerator. You don't easily notice it, but measured performance tests
show that it's running at 1/2 speed. (We used PackIt as a test, among
others). The only program we've found that definitely triggers the slow
mode is HFS Backup v. 2. Other programs do also trigger it, and it may
have something to do with the Lightspeed C compiler. We're going to call
Radius on Monday.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Suggestion for HyperCard
Date: 8-NOV-17:48: Business Mac

We've been thinking a lot about using HyperCard as a prototyping system,
and it occurred to me that it might be very useful to have some way of
making HyperCard respond to buttons in dialogs created in ResEdit.

Is anyone working on this? Could it be done in XCMDs?

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Suggestion for HyperCard (Re: Msg 23420)
Date: 8-NOV-19:53: Business Mac

Sounds like a good idea.  The biggest bugaboo is retaining context from
one invocation of your XFCN to another.  You would want this if you
implemnted a modeless dialog for instance.

I'd suggest also the idea of prototyping the dialog in HyperCard and
having some program that converts the card layout into a DITL/DLOG
combination.  It's *much* easier than prototyping in ResEdit.

If you just want a modal dialog that returns a result to HC, it probably
isn't too hard (because you won't be returning to HC after pressing a
button and then want to reinvoke the dialog after doing something).

peter

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Weird HyperCard problems
Date: 8-NOV-19:50: Bugs & Features

OK, HyperHackers, what the heck is this problem:

I try to open a stack (password protected) on a Mac II (5MB) and get an
error "Old file format." I can't open it. I haven't touched the stack
for weeks, and left it working just fine.

I copy the file to a floppy and run it off an SE/Radius Accelerator. No
problems, it opens right up!

I don't get it.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Weird HyperCard problems (Re: Msg 23433)
Date: 8-NOV-20:22: Bugs & Features

I pulled back a copy from DiskFit and it seems to be OK. Maybe this was
all the result of a crash in MultiFinder. :-(

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN
Subject: Smalltalk-80 and Mac II
Date: 8-NOV-21:27: Programming

after getting my copy of Smalltalk-80 from APDA i went to install it on
the Mac II that i use at work. this is v0.4, Mac II compatible.  The
environment is 5 Meg RAM, CMS 80MByte internal drive, SuperMac video
card and SuperMac 19" (Ikegawa) color monitor.

problem 1: DivJoin reports that the "target drive has insufficient space
to join the selected file".  There is 40Meg free on the drive, the
Smalltalk.sources file is 1.4 Meg in size.  No other program has ever
come up with a lack of disk space.  Huh?

- i copied the two halves of the .sources file onto the drive and used
MPW's Catenate tool to render a joined file; no problems.

problem 2: after installing all the rest of the items, I double click on
the .image file to start up as usual.  Loading commences, the balloon
picture traversed the screen, the gray System background and standard
window wake up...

but only half the screen is in use.  the lower half of the screen is
Still white, with a piece of the startup balloon still on board.
Windows, either collapsed or open, which extend beyond the screen upper
half are either not reachable or otherwise damaged.  everything works
normally otherwise, on the upper half of the screen, assuming I don't
accidentally run the mouse beyond that point.

- i thought: "oh, left it in 16 bit mode" and tried resetting the
monitors Control Panel item, but it trashed the System file entirely.
Had to replace ALL the system files, including Finder, before things
worked.

i tested the software out by running to a Mac II with 2Meg RAM and a
40Meg Apple drive and B&W monitor and it runs great... why not on the
SuperMac screen, which would be ideal?  And why the divJoin problem?

Anyone with any hints, I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks, godfrey digiorgi

------------------------------

From: JEDIVASOVIC
Subject: RE: Smalltalk-80 and Mac II (Re: Msg 23439)
Date: 9-NOV-04:41: Programming

I had thme problem with my 5 meg Mac II with the 19 '' supermac color
monitor. The problem is that Samlltalk regonizes only the upper third of
the screen. I guess it has something to do with bitmaps saving(?) I did
not have the divjoin problem, however, but I have a 40 meg Hyperdrive FX
hard disk.

           -> Jean-Denis <-

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder) (Re: Msg 23348)
Date: 8-NOV-22:08: Network Digests

 > From: gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner)
 > Subject: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder)

I think all my shareware is polished (Dir-Acta-ry, which is free, is
also polished and usable, but incomplete), tho I agree there is the
temptation to make use of the quasi-interactive distribution system to
get feedback.  And I agree, I want to pay shareware fees for what I have
in hand, not what's promised.

People who pay for shareware have some strange ideas, too.  I get an
awful lot of payments from people who want to know if they have the
latest version -- and don't tell me which version they have.

Are you saying I should charge more than $10 for DiskInfo, just because
$10 is too small for you to send?  You can always send more :-)  I've
tried to price my software reasonably -- as little as possible, while
still providing us with some money.  There are a lot of useful programs
that do less or are less sophisticated than miniWRITER or DiskInfo, so I
think they should cost less (and I paid the $2 for one of Lofty Becker's
programs).  Why don't you treat software cheaper than $10 as a bargain?

And why should "doing something else with" be a concern of the payer?
As you seemed to state, you want to pay for what you've got, not for
future considerations.  Free updates are something I intend to provide
for my software, but many companies don't.

Aside to paid users:  to get the latest version of Maitreya Design
shareware, send an initialized disk and self-addressed, stamped
envelope.

 David Dunham     "Whenever you see a sign 'No Exit,' it means
 Maitreya Design   there is an exit."

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder) (Re: Msg 23350)
Date: 8-NOV-22:09: Network Digests

 > From: rmh@apple.UUCP (Rick Holzgrafe)
 > Subject: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder)

I don't have any comparative experience, but I think games can't be
successful as shareware because people don't use them enough.  People
have told me that they've used my stuff for over a year before getting
around to paying for it, and most games don't have that kind of replay
value.

BTW, I encourage you (and other Apple employees) to check your AppleLink
a bit more often.

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

------------------------------

From: TOMCATR
Subject: Sesame C compiler
Date: 9-NOV-00:56: Tools for Developers

I'm having some trouble with applications created with the Sesame C
compiler. The sample program made it through compilation and linking,
however when I try to run the application from the Desktop, I get a
system error.(-26 "Couldn't find driver in resource file")  I've tried
several programs but I still get the same error.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  By the way I am using a 512k with the old ROM's if
that makes any difference.  Thanks. P.S.(How might I get in touch with
the authors of the compiler?)

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: RE: Sesame C compiler (Re: Msg 2168)
Date: 10-NOV 01:29 Tools for Developers

I thought an ID=26 error is "Can't load CODE resource #1". Did you get a
BOMB with #26 in the box? That is 26, NOT -26. If in fact it was 26,
then the linker is kerflooey. Sounds like maybe you should ante up for a
real compiler. No offense, but "you get what you pay for." Lightspeed C
is reasonably-priced and works like a champ on all Macs. Aztec is also
quite good if you want more of a UNIX (ugh)-like interface. As far as
Sesame C goes, check the documentation for an address and get in touch
with the author. The author may very well have given up given his
competition...

     Steve Maller
     Apple Computer

(disclaimer: The above opinions are mine, and have nothing to do with my
employer or my girlfriend...)

------------------------------

From: VASMUG
Subject: Help with Spooler
Date: 10-NOV 05:45 Business Mac

GREETINGS, HELP!!!! - Does anyone have first hand info about a spooler
that works. How about one that works with PageMaker 2.0.
   Is anyone using a hardware spooler?
   What the world needs is a good hardware or software spooler that
works with PageMaker 2.0 and the LaserWriter!!! Please reply.  thanks,
Fred (VASmug)

------------------------------

From: NETMAN
Subject: PC Magazine Feature
Date: 10-NOV 09:08 Macintosh II

I don't know how many regualr readers of PC Magazine there are in this
SIG but there is a legnth comparison of the Mac II vs. the PS/2 Model 80
in the 11/24 issue of PC Magazine.  It's written by Jim Seymour and John
Dvorak (both Mac and PC users).  The bottom line is that they like the
Mac more than the Model 80 for a wide range of applications.

One area where they say the Mac falls short is business graphics.  Are
there any Macintosh business graphics programs that really offer a full
range of options, like 3-D charts, and can accept data from a variety of
applications? (Excel, (Jazz??), 1-2-3, ASCII, SYLK, DIF....)  If there
are programs that can offer more than Cricket Graph (which is what I've
been using) please let me know as I cannot find any reference to them in
most trade rags.

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: MOOSE
Date: 10-NOV 21:10 Creative Pursuits

The talking moose does not work properly on the Macintosh II.  When the
mac II is not in 2 color mode, it displays garbage on the screen.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: Multifinder
Date: 10-NOV 21:14 Programming

I have just obtained a set of 5.0 disks, dated Oct 12 and have noted the
following quirks.

1) Despite the propaganda to the contrary, funny ICONs still work.

2) LAYOUT will not work when run under multifinder, but if you run it
under finder, the changes still hold when running under multifinder.

3) FEED ME crashes everything when run uner multifinder.

4) MACHUH causes garbage to display after running under multifinder.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: re: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks (Re: Msg 23493)
Date: 10-NOV 22:24 Network Digests

To: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks

The July 20 issue of MacWEEK has my review of 5 internal hard drives for
the Mac SE, including benchmarks. (MacWEEK is at 415-882-7370). I
concluded that Apple's internal 20 disk is competitive in speed and
utility software, but priced exorbitantly on a cost/MB basis. Rodime,
GCC and Peripheral Land drives were all faster than Apple's with double
the capacity for about the same money. The CMS drive was a little
slower, but a good value. The Warp 9 and Mirror drives were bargains,
but somewhat slower (the difference may not be perceptible in everyday
use). The Warp 9 and Mirror had huge 47MB capacities.

Ric Ford
MacWEEK Boston

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Color QuickDraw? (Re: Msg 23493)
Date: 11-NOV 06:04 Network Digests

 > Subject: Color QuickDraw?
 > From: sbm@purdue.edu (Steve Munson)

You're not really using Color QuickDraw, since you're not drawing in a
color grafport (NewCWindow(), 0xAA45) or using RGBForeColor().  You need
Inside Mac vol. 5.

From: DSACHS
Subject: MiniFinder?
Date: 11-NOV 19:59 Bugs & Features

The new (6.0) Finder is lacking the cammand to make or modify the
Minifinder, but the INIT to support MiniFinder is still present in the
System 4.2 file. Why????

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Word Companion (the Book)
Date: 11-NOV 23:05 Business Mac

I mentioned this in passing, and I thought I'd post a more detailed not
on it. There is a new book out called "The Word Companion: The
definitive guide to microsoft word 3 for the macintosh" by Mynhier Cobb;
the Cobb Group, $19.95; ISBN 0-936767-05-7.

It's a damn site better than the microsoft documentation, that's for
sure. Jsut

about everything in the original word documents seems to be in here
(with a couple of rather obscure exceptions -- mathematical formulas and
postscript being either sketchily covered and missing completely,
respectively).

As a beginners guide, it's pretty good. Some of the stuff will overwhelm
the complete novice, but it's put together in such a way that a person
can get what they need easily and go back for more advanced information
when they want it.

Definitive? no, but close. Postscript is missing, and the math stuff, as
I said, is sketchy. I've found a few places where it's a bit naive, but
in general, it's a pretty good book. Word users will probably learn to
love it. I know it's taken the place of honor on my desk, replacing
"microsoft word made easy" and the Microsoft documents. while I still
think there's a market for the "hardcore hacker's guide to nifty tricks
in word 3, no novices need apply" manual, this does pretty well.

chuq

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look
Date: 11-NOV 23:21 Business Mac

I got my RSG4 upgrade yesterday. I've gone through the manuals (yes,
two) and spent a couple hours playing with it. This isn't definitive by
any means, therefore, but I do have a prototype page for OR #19 laid out
in it.

In general, I'm impressed. The manuals are a big improvement, since they
are real manuals (one is the RSG guide and reference, the other is an
introduction to design manual that is VERY well done). The manuals STILL
need a lot of work.

The index seems to be more or less useless and very poorly done. The
reference section explains the various dialog boxes but doesn't show
them (as far as I can tell, the boxes wouldn't have fit in the manual
layout cleanly, so they left them out -- there is no logical reason for
it otherwise). This makes understanding what they're saying about the
dialog options interesting -- I recommend having the program around to
reference while you're reading it.

New features: style sheets, glossaries for boiler plate, a significant
rehack of the user interface (much cleaner and easier to use, more
intuitive, but not perfect), greatly improved hyphenation, improved
spellchecking, must stronger line/paragraph/word spacing and crontrol,
the justification looks cleaner, ESPF and TIFF support, word 3.0 support
(with a caveat, see below). Also, the fill and pen patterns are
significantly improved, throwing out many of the kitschy Apple patters
for useful ones, and adding a set of gray screens.

It's a MUCH better program than RSG3.0, all around. They fixed
scrolling, too (yay!). I was able to put together the page prototype
much faster than I could under RSG3, with better control and a cleaner,
more professional looking result.

I've only found two places where the program falls down a bit. One is
the way you execute the style sheets. You can define a special key for a
style that you can get to by typing a key sequence and then that key. It
works, but it's awkward.

Another problem is that style sheets are not global, but specific to a
document. You can import them from another document, but again that
seems awkward to me.

Finally, one really serious glitch (I plan on talking to Letraset about
this one in a few days). If you load in a formatted text document, and
put a style sheet onto it, the style sheet overrides whatever formatting
you have in the text. bye-bye, italic. Hmm. Wait a second, while typing
it in, I may have found a way to defeat this. I'll check and update you
folks -- but it isn't intuitive or well explained in the manual. Be
careful when putting styles on top of heavily formatted text.

RSG4 is good. very good, the (possible) style botch notwithstanding.
It's definitely oriented towards loonger jobs, while PageMaker is
oriented towards shorter ones. From what I've read bout PM, RSG stands a
good chance to blow it away completely in the market given a chance. But
we still need a really sharp book/manual for the silly thing. Anyone
know a good publisher????

chuq

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look (Re: Msg 23526)
Date: 12-NOV 00:32 Business Mac

To correct myself, the style botch isn't. It's not intuitive, however.
When you create a style, the default type-style is plain (as you might
expect). If you want the formatted styles to come though, you have to
remember to turn off the typestles completely -- they are a set of check
boxes. Unfortunately there isn't a 'none' box, none is implied by the
lack of any checks, and this isn't clearly explained in the manual (I
found it when I went back and looked, but I had to knw what I was
looking for).

So, a few rough edges, but I haven't found any problems. If you're using
shorter documents, you may want to look at PM, but RSG does short stuff
quite nicely. If you ever need to do anything longer than about 6 pages,
or you are doing lots of text (like a newsletter) or anything with
repetitive formatting, I think RSG is the hands down winner.

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look (Re: Msg 23529)
Date: 12-NOV 13:14 Business Mac

Chuq,

Is it reasonable to *write* in RSG, instead of fooling with Word or
something else?

Does RSG preserve italics and all the other stuff when you import a Word
3 document?

Ric

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RE: Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look (Re: Msg 23535)
Date: 12-NOV 22:26 Business Mac

I don't know if it is reasonable to write in rsg4. It wasn't in rsg3 --
with hyphenation on and with long documents, the delays were
intolerable. I haven't tried to do that in rsg4 yet. I'll let you know.

Yes, RSG preserves all paragraph and text formatting information (fonts,
line spacing, indents, etc.) from Word 3. Unless, of course, you do what
I did,m and tell your style sheet to override them.

chuq

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: PowerStation 1.1 patches
Date: 12-NOV 00:06 Bugs & Features

PowerStation 1.1 problems with MultiFinder and patches to fix same.

Problem: PowerStation's Finder button can cause a crash.  Fixed by
patches #1, #2, and #3.

Problem: The Restart and Shut Down commands from PowerStation's Special
menu return to Finder (if Finder is running) or merely quit and then
reopen PowerStation (if Finder is not running).  Workaround: quit to
Finder (assumes patches #1, #2, and #3 applied) and use Finder's Restart
or Shut Down.  If Finder is not running, hold Option while clicking the
Finder button to get back to Finder, then go back to PowerStation and
click the Finder button again ( without Option) to quit PowerStation.

Problem: Open an application from PowerStation. After the "interval of
idleness" specified in PowerStation's Preferences dialog, return to
PowerStation by quitting the application or by switching to
PowerStation. PowerStation's boxes/buttons are invisible. Fixed by
patches #4 and #5.

The "original" and "patch to" values are indented here to indicate their
relative positions as they will appear in Fedit's hexadecimal display.

patch #1-----------------------------------------
Location: file sector 20 (14 hex), offset 26 (01A hex) bytes within sector;
          281A hex bytes from start of file.

original:                          41FA 0046 2078
patch to:                          2038 095C 6F0E

original: 0A80 303C 010D A047 21F8 0958 033C 2078
patch to: 2040 A01F 2078 0A80 303C 010D A047 21F8

original: 095C A01F 4E75 4EBA FFE6 6704 2EB8
patch to: 0958 033C 4E75 4EBA FFE2 6704 2F38

patch #2-----------------------------------------
Location: file sector 30 (1E hex), offset 242 (0F2 hex) bytes within sector;
          3CF2 hex bytes from start of file.

original:      4EBA EB2A
patch to:      4EBA EB26

patch #3-----------------------------------------
Location: file sector 31 (1F hex), offset 426 (1AA hex) bytes within sector;
          3FAA hex bytes from start of file.

original:                          4EBA E872
patch to:                          4EBA E86E

patch #4-----------------------------------------
Location: file sector 61 (3D hex), offset 216 (0D8 hex) bytes within sector;
          7AD8 hex bytes from start of file.

original:                     4E56 0000 207C 0000
patch to:                     6606 4A2D FCF0 660E

original: 016A 202D F7FC D090 206E 0008 2140 FFF8
patch to: 202D F7FC D0B8 016A 2D40 FFF8 4E75 5897

original: 4E5E
patch to: 4E75

patch #5-----------------------------------------
Location: file sector 61 (3D hex), offset 458 (1CA hex) bytes within sector;
          7BCA hex bytes from start of file.

original:                          4A6D FAC4 670A
patch to:                          4A47 6710 4A6D

original: 2F0E
patch to: FAC4

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: Finder 6.0 bug
Date: 12-NOV 20:30 Bugs & Features

Finder 6.0 (oct 12 disks) will not allow opening an application with
document(s) belonging to another application. (e.g. Word with a MacWrite
TEXT document). For some reason this is allowed under multifinder.

------------------------------

From: HALL
Subject: Falcon
Date: 12-NOV 20:53 Games and Entertainment

I received my copy of Falcon today.  It looks good, but it requires 1MB
of memory.  It also doesn't seem to support two players.  It isn't copy
protected, and runs fine from a hard disk.

Brian

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: DvorMac.
Date: 13-NOV 12:20 Business Mac

I've been thinking recently about changing of to the Dvorak standard on
my Macs, which poses a couple of questions... first on the software end,
how does one do it?  If QuicKeys will change R to P for example, will it
change command-R to command-P without having to redifine every function.

Secondly, on the hardware side, particularly on the SE/II keyboards, how
does a guy like me get those keys rearranged.

Thanks.

                Joshua

------------------------------

From: DWOOD
Subject: A program Shell: FaceIt
Date: 13-NOV 20:27 Programming

Dan Kampmeier of FaceWare has announeced the release of FactIt, a
programming shell for the Macintosh.  FaceIt is an extention of McFace,
the programming shell for the Mac.  Dan has completely rewritten McFace
in LightSpeed Pascal and has come up with a very clever technique which
allows FaceIt to be used from ANY programming language.  FaceIt is a set
of CODE resources that you pased into your program code with ResEdit.
FaceIt provided for many features of a true Macintosh program.  It
handles up to five text editors, a graphics window (resizeable w/scroll
bars) save to MacDraw file format, full support for dialog boxes
(including automatic dialog event handling), the list goes on and on.
In short, FaceIt gives your Mac Program a full featured Macintosh
interface and more.  (Oh, if forgot, it supports both ImageWriter and
LaserWriter printing, too.)  If you desire more information, contact:
Dan Kampmeier FaceWare 1310 N. Broadway Urbana, IL 61801 (217) 328-5842
And the best thing about it is the price.  FaceIt is only $50 complete.
[ I am not affilitated with Dan or FaceWare, I simply am a satisfied
customer.] -Doug Wood

------------------------------

From: CCAGOSTA
Subject: Mac serial drivers
Date: 13-NOV 14:31 Programming Techniques

People,
           This is my first attempt at this form of comunication so any
comments are welcome.  I have an open question concerning device drivers
on the Mac addressed to anyone who might offer assistance.
    I would like to write a piece of code in Lightspeed C which would
allow me to send and receive ascii code through the modem port.  A
typical application I will use this for is in porting an interactive
program to the Mac which runs an HP plotter.
    I have tried RAMSDOpen, SerReset and FSWrite in various syntax but
in each instance I end up with a buserror after the FSWrite routine (on
a MacII).  I get the feeling I have missed the whole point, so to speak.
        If anyone has any suggestions, references or examples they would
be gre atly appreciated.
    By the way, I did ask the people at Think about their own routines
in "stdio" and they suggested that I steer clear of their attempt to
create the interface and use the Mac Toolbox.

                  Thanks for the Help,
                                                   Chuck Agosta

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Mac serial drivers (Re: Msg 2172)
Date: 13-NOV 17:40 Programming Techniques

In the call to FSWrite, is the second argument a pointer to a long?  If
not, check the third argument to see that the buffer you are using is
addressible. The Mac II diagnoses bus errors for invalid addresses which
on earlier Macs merely cause unexpected results without stopping the
program.

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------