[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #137

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderators Dwayne Virnau... and Lance Nakata @SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU) (11/16/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Monday, 16 Nov 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:
                         MultiFinder Startup Tip
                       Yet Another Macsbug Feature
              Re: What is wrong with the Sumacc C compiler
                      DATABASE MANAGEMENT FROM MPW
              TimeZone, a DA to be distributed by info-mac.
                               Dir-Acta-ry
                        MacWEEK accuracy apology
                           QMS-PS 800+ printer
                               okidata 192
                       mac font of IBM characters
                           EtherTalk questions
                         Help for sight impaired
                         Re: Async ATalk Bridge?
                         MultiFinder Impressions
                             PopUpMenuSelect
                   (No) multiple windows in HyperCard
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #92
                        Usenet Mac Digest V3 #93
                        Delphi Mac Digest V3 #50

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 15:56:40 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: MultiFinder Startup Tip

Here's some MultiFinder tips.  You can start MultiFinder two ways.  Either use
Set Startup to be MultiFinder and Restart, or just use the Command-Option
double click to open it.

When you have MultiFinder and several applications open, you can do a Set
Startup and specify that you want the currently open applications opened upon
startup. That puts some information into the file Finder Startup in your
System Folder so that MultiFinder can remember what to start.

When you change your Set Startup back to the Finder, this file is left intact,
so that when you Command-Option double click on MultiFinder, it will open
those applications listed in Finder StartUp.

When you are in the Finder and do a Set Startup to be MultiFinder, you lose
the information in Finder StartUp.  It gets cleared so that MultiFinder will
open alone.  Therefore, if you want to switch from a MultiFinder setup to the
Finder alone, and back to a MultiFinder setup, you must either:
  1) Save the Finder StartUp file somewhere
  2) Start MultiFinder (with the Command-Option double click) before
     choosing Set Startup so that MultiFinder will open the applications
     you want and you will be presented with the option to start with the
     currently open applications, thus rewriting the Finder Startup file
     to be the same.
  3) Have all desired applications in the same folder, select them, and
     choose Set Startup to be the selected items.

I believe choice #2 is the simplest method.

Note that I tried this intuitive method, but it did not work.

  Drag all desired applications to the desktop, select them, and
  choose Set Startup before using the Put Away option to put them
  back where you got them from.

It seems that Finder Startup has some position dependant information about the
selected files.  Moving an application will cause MultiFinder to lose track of
it.  I would recommend to Apple that they make MultiFinder look in the Desktop
file for the information about the location of the applications.  That would
be more consistent.

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 16:47:38 EST
From: Walter.Smith@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Yet Another Macsbug Feature

In addition to being an application that displays a Mandelbrot set, the
new Macsbug contains two FKEYs, one the famous A9FF 4E75 "Debugger" key
(you Lisa fans can use Quickeys to assign this to the keypad decimal
point and relive old times), and another "window-shuffle" key.

It probably does your taxes, too, but I haven't found the right command.

 Walt

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 87 14:31:01 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@VAX.BBN.COM>
Subject: Re: What is wrong with the Sumacc C compiler

I actually used the Sumacc C compiler for production work up til this spring.
I have a few comments to add to what was said earlier.

1.  You CAN use it to build programs larger than 32K.  The program I developed
was about 195K and the code resource was probably about 160K.  The reason that
most compilers limit you to 32K code segments, as was pointed out, is so that
you can use 16-bit relative addressing modes.  Since the SUMacC compiler
generates only absolute code which it relocates when the first load occurs, it
has no such limitation and the segment loader is happy to load segments larger
than 32K.

2.  As was mentioned, you cannot segment your code to shoehorn into small
memory spaces.  This is not the issue it once was when Macs had 128K of memory.

3.  A useful feature of SUMacC is that you can use it with all the development
tools present in your Unix environment, including emacs, grep, diff, and
various source control programs.  Additionally, the reason I continued with it
for so long is that I developed an object-oriented preprocessor for C and
translated MacApp into C using that preprocessor.  At the time, that was the
only way to use MacApp without compiling on a Lisa.  It may still be the only
way to use MacApp directly in C (I'm not so sure about that).
The Lightspeed C environment is not one which allows easy integration of a
preprocessor.  It would be possible to make it work as a tool in an MPW
environment, but I have not pursued this since I left to go back to graduate
school.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably go the MPW route.

  Mark

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Nov 87 11:44:59 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DATABASE MANAGEMENT FROM MPW

IF YOU WANT TO WRITE AN APPLICATION WHICH HAS TO HANDLE A LARGE AMOUNT
OF DATA - PROBABLY SORTED OR EVEN RELATIONAL - WHAT DO YOU TAKE FOR
DEVELOPMENT? WITH 4TH DIMENSION YOU CAN DO THE JOB IN A SHORT TIME -
BUT UNFORTUNATELY YOU GET NO APPLICATION, BUT A DATABASE FROM WHICH
ANY EXPIERENCED MAC-HACKER CAN GET THE MASTER PASSWORD WITHIN 2 MINUTES.
AND THERE GOES YOUR SOURCE CODE....
SO SHOULD YOU BETTER TAKE MPW AND DEVELOP THE PROGRAM WITH MACAPP. YOU
HAVE EASY ACCES TO THE USER INTERFACE, BUT HOW DO YOU ACCES LARGE AMOUNT
OF DATA? NO INDEX FILES, NO LINKS, NO SUBFILES, NO SETS, .....

MY QUESTION IS VERY SIMPLE: IS THERE ANY DATABASE MANAGEMENT LIBRARY
ACCESSIBLE FROM MPW?

IF NOT, I'LL WRITE THIS LIBRARY AND POST IT TO THE NET WHEN IT IS
FINISHED (PROBABLY AROUND MARCH 1988).

PLEASE MAIL ANSWERS DIRECTLY TO ME AND I'LL SUMMARIZE FOR THE NET.

ALEXANDER

 IF YOU CAN   SEE IT AND IT'S     THERE - IT'S REAL
 IF YOU CAN   SEE IT AND IT ISN'T THERE - IT'S VIRTUAL
 IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT AND IT'S     THERE - IT'S TRANSPARENT
 IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT AND IT ISN'T THERE - IT'S   G O N E

------------------------------

Date: 12 NOV 87 14:10-N
From: RICK%HASARA5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: TimeZone, a DA to be distributed by info-mac.

T i m e Z o n e

TimeZone is a desk accessory that displays in the upper right
corner of the screen, in the menu bar, two cities and the local
time there. Of course you have always wanted to be kept informed
what the time it is in a certain time zone, to see whether that
person you know is working, out to lunch or still asleep! Besides
displaying the time in the menu bar TimeZone also has a menu
containing more cities and the local time there, see below. Once
opened TimeZone remains active, even when an application is
launched or stopped, like JClock.

TimeZone was written by Rick Jansen (Rick@HASARA5), with many
thanks to Ami Zakai (RPR1ZAK@TECHNION) for inspiration and test
driving. You may give TimeZone to anyone you want to give it to,
provided you distribute it with the info file and TZOpen. It is
NOT public domain, you are NOT allowed to change the copyright
notices. You may NOT use TimeZone for commercial purposes. All
rights reserved. Anyone needs a Mac programmer?

Share and enjoy,
Rick Jansen.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-TIMEZONE.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 13 Nov 87 08:57:22-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Dir-Acta-ry

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: DIR-ACTA-RY
Date: 11-NOV-1987 06:03 by DDUNHAM

[ Updated 11-NOV-1987 06:03 by DDUNHAM. All items in the Info menu now
work, and it's more compatible with MultiFinder. ]

Dir-Acta-ry turns disk directories into Acta outlines.  Each file is
represented by a topic; folders have subtopics.  You don't need Acta, the
desk accessory outliner, to run this program, but you do need Acta to read
the files Dir-Acta-ry creates.  This is an incomplete, but functional
version. I may or may not get around to finishing it for Acta 1.2.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>ACTA-DIRACTARY.HQX

This version replaces the previous version.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Nov 87 16:51 EST
From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>
Subject: MacWEEK accuracy apology

I want to publicly apologize for my incorrect characterization of
MacWEEK.  I did indeed confuse them with Macintosh Today.  I'm sorry for
any confusion that has occurred.

  barmar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 87 16:33:54 +0100
From: Ole Solberg <O_Solberg%VAX.RUNIT.UNIT.UniNett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: QMS-PS 800+ printer

How can I use this printer to print my MacDraw, MacWrite, Word etc.
documents? I.e. is there some PostScript file available
somewhere that can be prepended to the Mac-PostScript files or just
downloaded to the printer before transfering the Mac-PostScript
files?
Any help and hints would be appreciated!

Thanks

Ole Solberg                ~EAN:    O_Solberg@VAX.RUNIT.UNIT.UniNett
RUNIT-The Computing Center ~ARPA:   O_Solberg%VAX.RUNIT.UNIT.UniNett@TOR.NTA.no
 at the Univ. of Trondheim ~BITNET: SOLBERG@NORUNIT
N-7034 Trondheim-NTH       ~Phone:  +47-7-59 4463 /3017
NORWAY                     ~Telex:  55620 sintf n
                           ~Telefax:+47-7-59 2480

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 87 21:44:58 EST
From: Christopher Chung
From: <CC004019%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: okidata 192

Does anyone know how to get an Okidata ML192 to work with the mac?
I heard that you can buy a driver to make it work but I don't where to
find it.  Has anyone heard of a company that sells this driver?

Thanks,
Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 87 14:39 EST
From: <ZSQY%CRNLVAX5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: mac font of IBM characters

At our facility we must support both Macs and IBM PC's, but we (of course)
much prefer the Macs.  We would like to maintain our documentation for both
machines on the mac, but we need some way to represent the IBM extended
character set.  Has anyone written or encountered a Mac font for this pur-
pose?
   Thanks in advance
        Phil Gross
   Cornell Humanities Computing

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 08:43:37 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: EtherTalk questions

I read in the Info-Mac Digest #135 about EtherTalk. Is this card SE-
compatible? Does EtherTalk maintain the Mac's user interface, when
connected to, say, a Sun? Can EtherTalk be used as a fast substitute for
AppleTalk? If so, how about file servers (e.g. AppleShare) and LaserWriters?
Where can I get detailed information?
I know, this is a lot of questions; I would be happy to find answers for at
least some of them.
Thanks in advance
 gu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 10:34 PST
From: Leslie Kaelbling <Kaelbling@AI.SRI.COM>
Subject: Help for sight impaired

A friend of mine who is legally blind (but can still read large type) is
interested in getting a Macintosh.  There are two things that would make
it usable for her.  The first is making the system font be about 18pt.
I've figured out how to change the default application font (but not its
size) and the finder's font (using layout).  Does anyone know how to
change the size of the font in the menubar and window titles?

Also, it would be helpful to have a simple application that used
macintalk to read plain text files.  Is there such a thing available?

Thanks,
Leslie Kaelbling
kaelbling@ai.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 87 06:24 N
From: Thomas Fruin  <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Async ATalk Bridge?

 > From:    lh451@uiucuxf.cso.uiuc.edu
 > Subject: Async ATalk Bridge?
 > Date:    4 Nov 87 00:48:00 GMT

You probably already noticed this, but I'm mentioning it anyway: the Dr.Dobb's
article mentions a company working on an Async AppleTalk product connecting an
Async AppleTalk to a 230.4-kpbs bus:

  Solana Electronics of San Diego, California
  (619) 566-1701

 Thomas Fruin

 fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
 thomas@uvabick.UUCP
 2:500/15 on FidoNet

 Leiden University, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 17:38:39 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: MultiFinder Impressions

Well, I've been playing with MultiFinder a bit and I must say that I like it a
lot.  I have found a couple of problems, but they aren't that bad and have
been vastly overshadowed by the good things that I have been able to do.

First of all, ScrapSaver doesn't work when MultiFinder is set to be the
startup.  It crashes both my Mac II and my Plus at home.  It works fine when
the Finder is the startup application though.  Perhaps if someone could
mention this to the author (yes you, Jeff "The Human Gateway" Shulman!), as a
bit of work is called for since I really think that is a worthwhile INIT.

Other than that, I have been able to follow the advice of an anonymous Apple
employee and set some programs to multitask with ResEdit.  One prime example
is SendPS, which is a program that spends a lot of time waiting for other
people to finish with the Laserwriter.  It works fine in the background now.

Most programs that run on the Mac II also run under MultiFinder.  I guess that
both of these environments require "proper" programs.  Now the problem is that
people are writing buggy programs that are intended for the Mac II and
getting me in trouble that way.  Ah well, such is the life of a macker.

Best of all is VersaTerm PRO 2.1, which multitasks on purpose.  Downloads in
the background!  Even at 19.2 Kbaud on a Mac II!

MultiFinder knows to hide Hypercard's window when it is switched out on a
regular size screen.  Try selecting two applications and double clicking on
them.  It opens them both now!  Try holding down the Command-Shift-Option and
picking the About MultiFinder item.  You get the final credits for
MultiFinder, but they have been edited by Apple's legal department.  Now find
a beta because the really funny stuff that was xxxxxxed out is there in the
beta and can be pasted back in with ResEdit!  I might even send you the STR#
if you ask nice.  You can also use ResEdit to increase the size of the
Finder's About box since it only has room for four things before adding a
scroll bar.  I now have a large About box with room for 8 open applications
before it will add a scroll bar.  Boy I love resources.  You can't do that on
any PC program!  Also, the Finder has a very very very much improved disk
copying package so that it only takes 2 swaps for a disk if there is 800K of
memory free.  MultiFinder adds some temporary memory allocation calls so that
you can get a large block for a short operation.  Great stuff!  I hope to see
it used by more programs.

Of course, it does require memory.  I have it running on a 1 Meg Mac+, a 2 Meg
Mac+ equivalent, and a 5 Meg Mac II.  Guess which one is the best.  It turns
out that the System and Finder take about 512K, depending on your INITs.  That
is roughly equivalent to running Keeper, but MultiFinder gives you more.  I
find that I really can't use two big programs on the 2 Meg machine, but
exiting an application is very fast now since the Finder is already running.

All in all, I am very impressed with MultiFinder.  I sincerely doubt if OS/2
will even be able to hold a candle to it.  Only time will tell.

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 87 13:08:05 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: PopUpMenuSelect

I want to harp on PopUpMenuSelect again, as I am getting more and more chaffed
by it.   It ONLY works on the screen with the menu bar.  If you have more
than one screen, the place you NEED it to work is where it won't and the place
you typically DON'T need it is where it will work!  One of the most common
uses for pop up menus is when you are far away from the menu bar and want some
portion of the bar to be available right there.  This DOES NOT work!!

It appears that PopUpMenuSelect examines the grafport bounds rect, but instead
of looking at the entire grafport, it only checks the grafport that contains
the menu bar.

Could someone at Apple please put this on the list of things to fix?  I would
really like a fix though, since I cannot put anything that uses a pop up menu
on my second screen.  I know, I know, nobody has two screens, so why worry
about it?  Heck, I feel lucky to have a Mac at all, but it would be nice if
everything worked like it should.

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 87 03:06 N
From: Thomas Fruin  <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: (No) multiple windows in HyperCard

In spite of its many wonderful properties,  the lack of multiple windows in
HyperCard disturbs me.  Should it?  Well, let's see...

One of the most important features of the Macintosh is its windowing system.
There are hardly any programs that don't work with their  data  in  windows.
The majority of them allow you to view several of those windows at the same
time, and let you Copy and Paste between them.   Windows can be resized and
moved about for maximum control and flexibility. Many programs also include
a Tile command to quickly and automatically clean up your desktop. There is
even a nice  desk accessory that adds this feature to programs that  forgot
to implement it.

HyperCard  ignores  all of these virtues completely.  The size of a card is
fixed and cards cannot be resized, even temporarily.  Because a card is the
same size as a standard Macintosh screen, you cannot possibly have multiple
cards visible on the screen.  And while this is feasible on a Macintosh II,
it isn't allowed on that machine.

This makes the comparing of cards difficult.   Copying and Pasting from one
card to another is also a hassle  when there is no link between  the cards.
All of this also makes it harder to have a grasp of "where you are"  in the
HyperCard environment. Bringing up the box of 42 most recently viewed cards
isn't enough, in spite of the number.  I have found myself lost in the Help
stack on numerous occasions.

On the other hand, maybe it's possible to get more than one window (I'm not
including the message box and palettes of course) using an XCMD. Seeing how
HyperCard deals with desk accessories, I'm not too confident. Maybe someone
out there with XCMD writing experience can help out?

What do others think of this limitation?   Is it really a limitation, or am
I just too conservative?  Are multiple windows not "in" anymore?  If I want
some kind of "status" window in my application,  should I have to revert to
a fake window in the background of every card?  Or is the only way out some
dirty low-level hacking with XCMDs?

Comments please!

 Thomas Fruin

 fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
 thomas@uvabick.UUCP
 2:500/15 on FidoNet     /* temporarily down due to hard disk troubles */

Date: Sat 14 Nov 87 10:25:54-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #92

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, November 14, 1987    Volume 3 : Issue 92

Today's Topics:
     Re: An A/UX question...
     Re: SE Internal Hard Disk Size
     Re: Review of _Quarterstaff_ (Mac game)
     Re: Mail-order question/recommendations
     Re: Making sure PrGeneral exists
     BeepInit and Screen Memory...
     Re: An A/UX question...
     Re: ATG File Format
     Re: An A/UX question... (2 messages)
     Async ATalk Bridge?
     Re: Yet more INIT questions
     WriteNow header trick
     Quickeys and QuickFolder NOT compatible
     Re: diskless mac-II A/UX
     Bernoulli drives
     Re: Quickeys and QuickFolder NOT compatible
     Delux Music Contruction Set Printing Problem
     Does StartUpSound get played automatically?
     Re: diskless mac-II A/UX
     Re: A/UX and 3rd party disks?
     Re: No more 512k to MACPLUS upgrades After DECEMBER?
     Re: Suitcase failure...
     why applications should ask for mouseUp events
     Re: Writing your own installer for home built SCSI disks

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-92.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 14 Nov 87 10:27:13-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #93

Usenet Mac Digest     Saturday, November 14, 1987    Volume 3 : Issue 93

Today's Topics:
     FullWrite Update
     SE Disk Drive woes
     FIXJT
     Re: Character recognition
     Seeking arcade games for my Mac
     IC Layout Software for the Mac II
     Dropping DTR
     MultiFinder RAMDisks
     ESD causes degenerative brain disease in Mac IIs
     Re: Dropping DTR
     Need help with MAC II....HELP!
     Need help with current directory
     Re: who is the author of the boston & beverly hills fonts?
     Re: An A/UX question...
     SE/20 and HD SC Setup
     Re: Adding PICTs to Lists
     Bye bye for now...
     Beware of MultiFinder 1.0 About... Trick
     Re: Font needed for MacGolf 2.0
     RD-ROM and HyperCard
     ESD causes degenerative brain disease in Mac IIs
     Re: Need help with MAC II....HELP!
     UUCP for Mac?
     Re: Need help with MAC II....HELP!
     Re: Anyone seen SHOWInit???
     Expand Tab Utility
     System Software 5.0

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV3-93.ARC

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 14 Nov 87 09:50:21-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #50

Delphi Mac Digest     Saturday, November 14, 1987    Volume 3 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
     RE: Novy Accelerator (2 messages)
     RE: Imagewriter II
     Re: MacWEEK accuracy?
     Re: MacWeek accuracy
     RE: C Compilers
     Attn: ResCopy users
     New Word 3.0x book (2 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #89
     Excel/MultiFinder problems (5 messages)
     Mac II Color Startup (2 messages)
     Radius Accelerator Slowdowns
     Suggestion for HyperCard (2 messages)
     Weird HyperCard problems (2 messages)
     Smalltalk-80 and Mac II (2 messages)
     re: Re: Shareware (was Red Ryder) (2 messages)
     Sesame C compiler (2 messages)
     Help with Spooler
     PC Magazine Feature
     MOOSE
     Multifinder
     re: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks
     re: Color QuickDraw?
     MiniFinder?
     Word Companion (the Book)
     Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 -- a first look (4 messages)
     PowerStation 1.1 patches
     Finder 6.0 bug
     Falcon
     DvorMac.
     A program Shell: FaceIt
     Mac serial drivers (2 messages)

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV3-50.ARC

- Lance ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest