[comp.sys.mac.digest] Delphi Mac Digest V3 #51

SHULMAN@sdr.slb.COM.UUCP (11/25/87)

Date: Wed 25 Nov 87 09:10:44-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V3 #51
To: Delphi-List: ;

Delphi Mac Digest     Wednesday, November 25, 1987   Volume 3 : Issue 51

Today's Topics:
     RE: multifinder problem
     Mac System Software Versions
     ? (3 messages)
     RE: System Software 5.0
     LaserShare vs. PrintMaster
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #93
     Dir-Acta-ry 0.41
     Finder 6.0 bug
     re: Help for sight impaired
     re: MultiFinder Impressions
     Multifinder funnies (2 messages)
     more multifinder glitchies
     Hypercard SFputFile
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #137
     Where to put icons under MF (4 messages)
     outliner scrolling
     MacApp 2.0
     Smalltalk (2 messages)
     MF Menu Warning
     ROM and Monaco 9 (2 messages)
     RE: SE/20 and HD SC Setup  (Usenet Mac D
     WARNING!
     typing in RSG! 4.0 (2 messages)
     Mac II power switch
     RSG 4.0 Tabs (argh)
     Hard disk building
     re: OLD ROM's no longer supported
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #95
     HyperDrive FX/40 vs. Radius Accelerator
     Hypercard launch problems (2 messages)

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: multifinder problem (Re: Msg 23543)
Date: 13-NOV 23:11 Bugs & Features

"Stop Printing" does not cause Print Monitor to drop out, but putting
files on indefinite hold does. I discovered that the print time is held
in the CREATION date/time for spooled files.

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER
Subject: Mac System Software Versions
Date: 14-NOV 02:13 Business Mac

                Macintosh System Software Versions List
                ---------------------------------------

            Macintosh:    XL      512     512e    Plus    SE      II
            ---------     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---
               System     3.2     3.2*    3.2*    4.2     4.2     4.2
               Finder     5.3     5.3*    5.3*    6.0     6.0     6.0
          MultiFinder     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.0     1.0     1.0
         PrintMonitor     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.0     1.0     1.0
          ImageWriter     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6
      A/T ImageWriter     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6     2.6
          LaserWriter     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0
            LaserPrep     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0     5.0
         Hard Disk 20     1.1     1.1     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a
        Font/DA Mover     3.6     3.6     3.6     3.6     3.6     3.6
            The Namer     2.1     2.1     2.1     2.1     2.1     2.1
            Find File     1.2     1.2     1.2     1.2     1.2     1.2
       Disk First Aid     1.3     1.3     1.3     1.3     1.3     1.3
            HD Backup     1.0     1.0     1.0     1.0     1.0     1.0
           Teach Text     n/a     n/a     1.1     1.1     1.1     1.1
          HD SC Setup     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.5     1.5     1.5
              General     n/a     n/a     3.2     3.2     3.2     3.2
             Keyboard     n/a     n/a     3.2     3.2     3.2     3.2
           Key Layout     n/a     n/a     2.2     2.2     2.2     2.2
                Mouse     n/a     n/a     3.2     3.2     3.2     3.2
          Easy Access     n/a     n/a     1.0     1.0     1.0     1.0
       Startup Device     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     3.2     3.2
                Sound     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     3.2
             Monitors     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     3.2
           DA Handler     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.0     1.0     1.0
                Color     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     n/a     3.2
           AppleShare     n/a     1.1     1.1     1.1     1.1     1.1
         Backgrounder     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.0     1.0     1.0
            HyperCard     n/a     n/a     n/a     1.0.1   1.0.1   1.0.1

           * if Appleshare is required on these machines, use
             System 3.3 and Finder 5.5.

           Most of the newest system software has a CREATION date
           of Thu, Oct 8, 1987.

------------------------------

From: MATTCO
Subject: ?
Date: 14-NOV 02:27 Macintosh Developers

Hi, this is my first message, but here goes...

Does anyone know how to generate a version 2 PICT on a NON-Color
QuickDraw machine (ie, Mac+ & SE).  I need to save multiple bits/pixel,
but the nearest I can see, I have to OpenPicture() in a color graph port
and of course need the Color QD CopyBits() for pixmaps. Do I really have
to write the picture op-codes directly? (I know they're well documented,
but still...)

Thanks for any thoughts.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: ? (Re: Msg 2174)
Date: 14-NOV 04:42 Macintosh Developers

Off the top of my head, you'll get version 1 PICTs in old grafports, and
PICT 2 in color grafports.  You don't normally need to mess with
opcodes.

Of course, the Plus and SE don't support color grafports.  So you might
need the op codes (from the tech note).

------------------------------

From: DWB
Date: 19-NOV 03:06 Macintosh Developers

Actually, the opcodes should *not* be considered well known.  Yes
they've been published, but, with the *ENORMOUS* qualifier that says
this for debugging purposes only.  The reason being that they may very
well be changed at some time in the future...

David

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: System Software 5.0 (Re: Msg 23577)
Date: 14-NOV 19:18 Network Digests

>From: shulman@slb-sdr.UUCP (Jeff Shulman)
>Subject: System Software 5.0

>before?  Not only that, but *nothing* in the set is version 5.0!  Might
>as well have called it System Software 42.0.

The LaserWriter and Laser Prep files are version 5.0.

:-) peter                          "In any context, half of all
references PEABO @ DELPHI                  are local and half are
global."

[ True - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: HAMMEN
Subject: LaserShare vs. PrintMaster
Date: 15-NOV 02:43 Business Mac

Hello,
  OK, another request. I'm trying to help my former employers, a
Linotronic service bureau, set up a printer spooler system that works
for them. I have not used wither LaserShare or PrintMaster, but welcome
input from those who have. Can LaserShare spool to two different
printers (i.e. have one Mac print to the LaserWriter & another to the
Linotronic - theserver/spooler Mac could probably only print one
document at a time, but hopefully could switch to the correct printer
for the next job). Secondly, how compatible are they (with PageMaker,
XPress, Word, Cricket Draw, etc.). I know that using PrintMaster will
require more than 1 MB of RAM - is 2.5 going to be enough for large
print jobs (I believe the spooler spools to disk, but I'm interested in
its memory usage). Any input anyone can provide is appreciated.

Robert

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #93 (Re: Msg 23577)
Date: 17-NOV 01:15 Network Digests

You posted Charles Maurer's old address.  The new one is:
 Charles E Maurer
 5 Grandview Ct
 Dundas, Ontario
 L9H 5C8  CANADA

Personally, I prefer Bill Layman's Ann Arbor font, which should be
available from Dubl-Clik.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: Dir-Acta-ry 0.41
Date: 17-NOV 02:21 Public Domain

Somehow my copy of Dir-Acta-ry 0.4 got corrupted so that it wouldn't run
on any machine other than a II.  Since I only use a II, this got
uploaded.  My apologies.  If you have ResEdit, you can change the procID
of MENU 3 from 1 to 0.  Otherwise, please download Dir-Acta-ry 0.41.
(If anyone can figure out how this could have happened, I'd love to
know!)

(Note:  despite the topic of this message, Dir-Acta-ry is not a public
domain program.  It is, however, free...and when combined with the free
Acta Reader program, makes a great poor man's catalogger.  It's even
more useful if you buy my Acta desk accessory, of course.)

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: Finder 6.0 bug
Date: 17-NOV 20:59 Business Mac

Finder 6.0 will hang if you try to move a file whose icon has a totally
null mask.

 This happens with documents created by the public domain program
"Mandelbrot Microscope".  After fixing the ICN# resource and remaking
the desktop file, the crashes ceased.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: Help for sight impaired (Re: Msg 23636)
Date: 17-NOV 21:04 Network Digests

 >From: Leslie Kaelbling <Kaelbling@AI.SRI.COM>
 >Subject: Help for sight impaired
 I'm not sure if it still works, but you used to be able to edit the
FOND 0 resource (with ResEdit) so it pointed to a larger font's resource
ID.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: MultiFinder Impressions (Re: Msg 23636)
Date: 17-NOV 21:05 Network Digests

 >From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
 >Subject: MultiFinder Impressions

I use it under MultiFinder and it works fine.  Sometimes you can get a
corrupted clipboard, in which case ScrapSaver will cause a crash under
System 4.1.

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Multifinder funnies
Date: 17-NOV 22:37 Business Mac

I've noticed a few funnies with the new System/Finder/MF stuff. Anyone
else see these?

first, when you copy things, the finder very happily updates both the
%done control and the filename, but doesn't decrement the "to be copied"
number. It changes that in batches, going from 13 to 6 to 3 etc... As
long as they're doing everything else, shouldn't they have made that
number decrement with each file?

Second, is the finder "print" menu item broken with macwrite? I selected
two macwrite documents, and chose "print" from the finder menu. It
printed the first, and macwrite died ID=02 on the second. The second
file printed find manually.

Finally, the 'rogue' game hangs the system under multifinder. It was
sort of broken under finder 5.0, but now its gone. sigh, my favorite
time waster.

chuq

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Multifinder funnies (Re: Msg 23661)
Date: 18-NOV 02:19 Business Mac

I did a massive LaserWriter print of all the recent batch of tech notes
by selecting them in the Finder and pulling down the print menu.  No
problems. I had print spooling enabled, and it worked fine too.

peter

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: more multifinder glitchies
Date: 18-NOV 01:19 Business Mac

Two more MF glitchies!

word 3.01 is leaving temp files around again.... I haven't seen this
since I upgraded from 3.0. um, oops. (They're in the system folder...)

Superpaint 1.0p (with the laserwriter 4.0 patch) hangs the system if you
try to select "full screen" from menu.

Come to think of it, the two programs I use that try to take over the
menubar (rogue and SP) BOTH hang up if you try to do that operation
under MF. Could this be the problem?

More fun, from down your street and under your lawn! film at 11.

chuq

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH
Subject: Hypercard SFputFile
Date: 18-NOV 08:48 Programming

Yes, folks, I know there's an XCMD resource that makes it easy to put up
the standard SFGETFILE dialog box to open a Mac file for reading.  But
what about SFPUTFILE, the standard dialog to open a file for writing?
Does it exist and I've missed it?  If so, please tell me where I can
download it.  If it doesn't exist, puhleeze, somebody, hack it and post
it!  I need your help and putFile!!

Thanks. --Jim Weinrich 74726,3610

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #137 (Re: Msg 23636)
Date: 19-NOV 02:08 Network Digests

 >From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
 >Subject: MultiFinder Impressions

One reason ScrapSaver might be crashing is that you're using an old
version. The lastest, 1.5 of 7/22/87, works fine with MultiFinder.  The
MultiFinder bug was known and corrected last Summer.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the version number is to snoop around
the end of the file with a sector editor.  Oh well.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: Where to put icons under MF
Date: 19-NOV 02:37 Business Mac

What are folks preferences to placing programs and folders under MF?
Under the old system, I put my favorite programs and common folders on
the desktop, and secondary stuff on the window for the disk itself.
Under MF, I find this gets a little cluttered. Is it beter to put
everything on the disk and leave that window open all the time, or to
put everything on the desktop and simply close the window? What do you
folks do?

chuq

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: Where to put icons under MF (Re: Msg 23690)
Date: 19-NOV 08:49 Business Mac

I use PowerStation. I see that as the best option until I've got much
more screen space than one little Apple color monitor's worth!

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 19-NOV 12:45 Business Mac

I use PowerStation to open programs almost all the time.  Basically the
scheme that I have been using since getting a hard disk 2 years ago is
out the window with MultiFinder.  I have been accustomed to leaving
folders all over my desktop so I can find documents easily and this just
doesn't work well when there are windows open.

Apple *should* have had Finder put all its icons in a layer, but they
didn't.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Date: 20-NOV 21:50 Business Mac

I've got favorite folders along the left edge of the screen, and
favorite applications along the bottom.  (Favorite DAs live in the menu
bar, as always.)

I used to have the applications at the top of the screen, but since
Juggler, there are too many programs which want to put their windows up
there.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: outliner scrolling
Date: 19-NOV 03:34 Bugs & Features

According to the review in MacWEEK, Acta is slow at certain tasks.
That's true, but I'm really stung by this accusation, because before I
released the latest version, I tested scrolling speed against MORE and
Outlook.  I opened a ThinkTank document with each program (which no
doubt took Acta longer than MORE, but I was only timing scrolling
because someone had claimed that Outlook was speedy).  I made sure the
same topics were expanded and unshrunk so exactly the same stuff was
being scrolled in each program (no fair having hidden document windows
in MORE but visible multi-line topics in Acta).  The scrolling took at
least 30s in each (I wish I'd written this down!), so the document was
small to medium.  If my memory's correct, the fastest was Acta, followed
by MORE and Outlook.  In the process of doing the test, I was able to
make Acta's scrolling even faster.

I'm wondering if someone out there can perform an independent test.
Either MacWEEK or I need to be straightened out.

------------------------------

From: NOFAL
Subject: MacApp 2.0
Date: 18-NOV 21:22 Developers' Corner

Does someone know something about the next MacApp version(2.0) that
Apple is going to release this winter(I hope)?
                 -Danny

------------------------------

From: NOFAL
Subject: Smalltalk
Date: 18-NOV 21:27 Developers' Corner

I've been reading this forum for a long time know but I haven't read a
single line about Smalltalk.is there someone out there interested in
it?Right now, exciting things are happen in the Smalltalk
community.Smalltalk 0.4 is a usable system on a Mac II at last.And two
Smalltalk interpreters are going to debut Real Soon Now:The one from
Digitalk(Smalltalk/V ) and another from Parc Place Systems(this is going
to be the fastest and the most "standard").MacST by Digitalk will have a
nearly standard Mac interface abandoning the sluggish ST interface and
it should be a great development system.
                 -Danny

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: Smalltalk (Re: Msg 2183)
Date: 19-NOV 03:34 Developers' Corner

I did minimal playing with Smalltalk 0.4 on a Mac II, and it's sure much
nicer than running 0.3 on Plus!  I don't have any real need for
Smalltalk, however, once I learned it.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: MF Menu Warning
Date: 19-NOV 20:27 Public Domain

I have discovered that the public domain program, MultiFinder Menu, and
INIT to create a menu for all active applications at the right end of
the menu bar, is totally incompatible with (of all things) MacProject.

------------------------------

From: JWENDEL
Subject: ROM and Monaco 9
Date: 20-NOV 00:53 Macintosh II

Can someone supply a referrence to a patch for Mac II which will enable
me to modify Monaco 9 ( by putting a slash through the zero, to
distinguish it from capital O )?  ResEdit or Fontastic+ let me fix this
on the MacPlus, but not on the II, and I am baffled.  Thanks!

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: RE: ROM and Monaco 9 (Re: Msg 23718)
Date: 20-NOV 21:50 Macintosh II

The Monaco 9 font is in ROM on the II.  To override it, you'll need to
use a Rovr/Rov# resource, or change its resource ID, and hack the FOND
so it points to that resource.  (This probably doesn't make things much
clearer, but I haven't overridden a ROM font for several System
releases.)

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: RE: SE/20 and HD SC Setup  (Usenet Mac D (Re: Msg 23707)
Date: 20-NOV 10:58 Network Digests

RE: SE/20 and HD SC Setup  (Usenet Mac Digest V3 #93)

In case no one else has already covered this, it appears that the reason
newer versions of HD SC Setup format the disk to a smaller capacity is
that the program now formats to a specific capacity rather than to the
absolute maximum of good blocks. If you use *all* the good blocks
available, and do an image backup to tape, for example, you can get into
a bad situation if you reformat the disk, pick up an extra bad block,
then try to restore from the image backup. It won't fit, and you can go
buy a new disk...

Ric

------------------------------

From: NATURAL
Subject: WARNING!
Date: 21-NOV 09:47 Telecommunicating

There's a piece of software floating around on some BBSs called Packit
2.0

STAY AWAY!

This program is a trojan horse so beware!

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: typing in RSG! 4.0
Date: 22-NOV 00:54 Business Mac

A while back you asked how doing real Word processing under Ready, Set,
Go! 4.0 was. I tried it the other night under a couple of real world
worst case situations, and was favorably impressed.

Here's what I did. A three column page, three text blocks (full page)
linked together. Hyphenation was on, using 10 pt palatino. I'd typed in
about half a page of text, then copied it and duplicated it so text
flowed across all three columns and overflowed off the page.

From there, I continued typing in the stuff I was working on. The system
kept up with me with nary a glitch. it is now smart enough to stop
updating the screen when I'm on a roll, and limits its updating to the
immediate area I'm working on unless there is dead time -- it only
worries about the rest of the visible page when I'm not actively
entering material, so you don't have those obnoxious delays RSG3 had.

I tried it with both ragged right and fully justified. Fully justified
takes a little getting used to -- it handles it well, but the screen
display simply looks a little strange until you've worked with it a
while.

The only area that caused me problems was when the text I typed in
crossed a column boundary and the program had to scroll the screen.
Again, the program never mucked anything up or lost data or ran into
delays, but I found the scrolling disorienting. Probably something you
get used to, but it definitely isn't like writing in a WP where that
stuff is generally invisible. I'm not a big fan of programs that get in
the way of my writing.

RSG4 at all, and find I'm using it for short pieces since it is more
convenient that ( um, than) popping back and forth between word and RSG,
even under multifinder. Even under the nasty situations, like real-time
hyphenation, justification and scrolling stuff across the entire page,
it works fine. I'm impressed. It's faster AND smartter, and shows some
careful optimization and design.

(as a side comment, I'm actively putting together OtherRealms #19 as we
speak. Background printing is NEAT. RSG is so much better that learning
all the new toys is relatively painless and I'm getting a LOT more done
for the time I'm putting in. It's a BIG improvement, not only in
features and enhancements, but in speed and user interface. RSG4 is much
better at staying out of my way and letting me do what I want to do,
helping rather than getting in my way. I'm rapidly going from rather
impressed to actively evangalizing -- something I don't often do.
Consider this a strong vote for Ready Set Go! 4.0)

chuq

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: typing in RSG! 4.0 (Re: Msg 23774)
Date: 22-NOV 21:45 Business Mac

Have you had any problem with lost keystrokes when background printing
is going?  I think I have (using MacWrite) though when you aren't
looking for trouble its not easy to see what is wrong (it could have
been confusion during blind typing -- the display caught up suddenly and
when I looked back at it later, some characters were missing).

peter

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: Mac II power switch
Date: 22-NOV 18:13 Bugs & Features

I wonder if someone can explain it to me. Why the Mac II doesn't have a
real power switch, only one that kind of tells the Mac you kind of want
it to shut down if it's good and ready.

There must be some advantage to this "smart" switch, right? What is it??

I'm getting kind of sick of fumbling around for the power cord and
pulling it out of the computer to shut the f**king thing off after a
crash.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: CHUQ
Subject: RSG 4.0 Tabs (argh)
Date: 22-NOV 20:57 Business Mac

Well, I've found RSG 4.0's achilles heel. Unfortunately. As they have
every release to date, they'be completely rewritten the way tabs are
handled. You'd think they would et it right eventually, but no. The tab
formatting is non-intuitive, to the point I had to pull out the manual
to figure out what was going on. That is the only time I've needed the
manual to figure something out, by the way, with RSG4. They are set up
as a second level dialog box. By the time you see it, most of teh screen
is obscured unless you remember to move things around. Fortunately,
dialog boxes in RSG can be moved if you want (unfortunately, RSG doesn't
remmber where you last put them, so you have to move them every time).
Also, tabs are not immediate. You bring up the tab dialog, make the
changes, click OK, and then clikc 'apply' in the type spec dialog. When
it doesn't work, you bring the tabs up again, make your changes,
click...

That's a lot of clicks. There's no way (as in Word) to bring up a ruler
on the text block and install the tabs while working with the text
involved. You have to work on a ruler that has no relationship with the
text being tabbed.

Needless, I jst spent 25 minutes trying to get a simple tab set working:
a left justified text, followed by a centered tab, followed by a right
justified tab (in other words, a Table of Contents). It won't take as
long next time because I'm starting to understand their tabs, but the
whole setup is quirky, non- intuitive, exceptionally complex, and highly
modal. You can't point and click, and this is one area wher a point and
click WYSIWYG format works exceptionally well, and it can't be hard to
implement.

sigh. You'd think they'd eventually get tabs right. All they need to do
is see how Word implemented them. come to think of it, all you need to
do is look at Word 3.0 and you can see what they left out of style
sheets, for that matter.

A couple of other notes:  RSG4.0 could really use spacing before and
after paragraphs (which, not so coincidentally, word has). It also needs
a newline character that doesn't create a paragraph (which word has).
Lacking these makes formating in-line headers much more difficult than
neccessary.

Finally, they're handling of styles is a bit ragged. If you select text
formatted with a style sheet, bring up the text format box (clover-y)
and make some changes, it isn't until you clike 'ok' that it tells you
that this is formatted with a style sheet and you need to select remove
styles first. It then throws out your changes. Why doesn't it tell me
that when I OPEN the style sheet? Why can't I make overriding changes to
a piece of style sheet text? (this is amazingly annoying when one of the
style options is 'plain' -- you need to remember to set text options to
'none' by turning off all the text options if you're going to be setting
styles to some of the text..). rough edges. sigh.  But ONLY rough edges
(except for Tabs, which are botched again... ).  Still a neat
program....

chuq

------------------------------

From: JEDIVASOVIC
Subject: Hard disk building
Date: 22-NOV 21:00 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anybody undertaken the task of building an scsi hard disk using the
two articles published in the feb 87 and june 87 issues of Mactutor?
More specificaly, has anybody built an scsi hard disk upon the CD Wren
III hard disk? What do you know of the CD Wren IV hard disk? What
problems did you encounter? Was the project as easy as the two articles
implies? What about the software? Does the scsi install utility from
Apple work with the CD disks? Thank you very much of sharing your
experience. I am not very skillful and that would be an expensive
project for me.

Thanks a lot

       -)> Jean-Denis <-

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM
Subject: re: OLD ROM's no longer supported (Re: Msg 23760)
Date: 22-NOV 23:44 Network Digests

 > From: chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
 > Subject: OLD ROM's no longer supported
 I know of at least two people happily using Mac 512s (with 64K ROMs).
Neither is in a position to afford the upgrade.

I can kind of sympathize with Apple, but it's annoying that a machine
that's 3 years old is not only obsolete, but not supported.

 David Dunham     "If it has syntax, it isn't user-friendly."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DSACHS
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V3 #95 (Re: Msg 23761)
Date: 23-NOV 21:02 Network Digests

>From: cds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Craig D. Singer)
>Subject: Odd Formatting of Word 3.01 Footnotes
>Date: 19 Nov 87 17:40:27 GMT

Have you set Fractional Widths when printing with the LaserWriter?  I
have seen a few such problems that this alleviates.

------------------------------

From: MACWEEKBOS
Subject: HyperDrive FX/40 vs. Radius Accelerator
Date: 24-NOV 19:56 Bugs & Features

I thought the Radius 1.8 Accelerator ROMs fixed the problems with
General Computer FX drives, but I just proved that wrong (ouch!).

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is there a newer version of FX
Init that's required?

Ric

------------------------------

From: GOODHIND
Subject: Hypercard launch problems
Date: 24-NOV 23:49 Creative Pursuits

Attempts to launch applications using the hyper-talk "OPEN" command die
if the hypercard application is in the same directory as the file you
are trying to launch.

Don't know if this will help anybody, but I chased it for an hour...

ljg

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Hypercard launch problems (Re: Msg 23841)
Date: 25-NOV 02:04 Creative Pursuits

It doesn't seem like HyperTalk Open will find the file in any folder at
all. It does work OK from the root directory.  (Note:  this problem only
occurs under MultiFinder.)

Tech Note 169 (available in the Developers' SIG Database topic Tech
Notes as HYPERCARD 1.0.1 ANOMALIES) mentions this problem and others.
It is fixed in the next release of HyperCard, which is not available to
the public yet.

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------