[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #145

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderators Dwayne Virnau... and Lance Nakata) (12/16/87)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 16 Dec 1987    Volume 5 : Issue 145

Today's Topics:
                     Re: Mac Turbo Pascal Questions
        Re: Problem with Quickdraw pictures in Lightspeed Pascal.
            Hypercard: messages generated for window update?
                     Hypercard field-check question
                Simultaneous field scrolling in Hypercard
                        Using StringToNum in LSC
                             hidden folders
                               Greek Fonts
                           Kanjitalk on Mac II
                      Re:  Comments on MultiFinder
                        Bad Finder 6.0 "feature"
                               Scrapsaver
                               Mactivation
                         Re: Sounds, HFS Backup
       Re: <peter@aucs.uucp> Macwrite to Word Conversion Problems
                          Re: Dial-up AppleTalk
                          X windows for the Mac
                   Switching voltage from 110v to 220v
                       PROJECTION VIDEO FOR MACII
                     Foreign language spell checkers
           CDC WREN III and Mac II (Life in the fast track ! )
                           Mac X/Lisa Upgrades
                 LaCie internal hard drive for the MacSE
                    Macintosh driven security system

Date: 10 Dec 87 08:42 PST
From: newman.pasa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Mac Turbo Pascal Questions

Borland is charging money for the upgrade to 1.1 from 1.0 (sorry, I don't
remember how much).  I have given them my Visa card number, but have not
received my copy yet. You should call Borland's 800-number and ask for
details.  They may require that you send in your program disk.  You can
look at the Borland Programmer's Forum on CompuServe for details on the
upgrade (look in the bulletin board section for Mac Pascal; if you can't
find it, ask the sysop).

To construct CDEVs and other things using Turbo Pascal, you need a
different "header" resource.  Borland provides a header resource for desk
accessories, but no others.  Some others are available on CompuServe (in
the Borland forum I think).  The Header resource is indicated in a program
by a compiler directive - just like the one that Borland documents for desk
accessories.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 87 09:55:53 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr@APPLE.COM>
Subject: Re: Problem with Quickdraw pictures in Lightspeed Pascal.

>picture definition.  Can anyone help me?  The following is a sample program
>with comments stating what happens when I run it.  Please send me a note
>directly if I am doing something stupid.

This is a very common problem in dealing with pictures, and one that is not
immediately obvious.

The problem is that when you open a picture, Quickdraw saves the current
clipping region in the picture.  When you draw the picture offset, Quickdraw
offsets the clipping.

The problem comes in because the default clipping in a brand new window (or
grafPort) is the largest possible rectangle -- (-32768,-32768) by
(32767,32767).  If you try to offset this rectangle by any amount, the
coordinates wraparound resulting in an empty region and no output.

The solution is to always set the clipping region before calling
OpenPicture.  You can set it to the rectangle used in the OpenPicture call.

In your sample code:

>PROGRAM Picture_Test;
>{August 7, 1987 by Paul R. Pudaite.}

>BEGIN
>
>  SetRect(rectangle, 10, 10, 20, 20);

add the line:
   ClipRect(rectangle);

>  picture := OpenPicture(rectangle);
>  FrameOval(rectangle);
>  ClosePicture;

Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 08:47:23 PST
From: Charles Dolan <cpd@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Hypercard: messages generated for window update?

If I have an XCMD which creates its own window (in which to do color), will
HyperCard generate a message when that window needs to be updated?  It appears
to be very nice about handling window drags.

-Charlie Dolan
cpd@cs.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  8 Dec 87 17:45 EST
From: DAVID A. BELSLEY <BELSLEY@BCVMS>
Subject: Hypercard field-check question

How can one make a Hypercard field insist on information in a specific form?
Specifically, suppose one wants a field only to contain a number.  After
the first entry into that field, one can capture the closeField to check
that the entry was indeed a number and then beep and perhaps select the
field as a response.  But, if the user just ignores this and goes off to
another field, there is no way to trap this action since no further
closeField messages will be sent.  A closeField is only sent if the contents
of the field are changed.

As a current solution, I use the first closeField to put the user in a
repeat with an ask box that will not go away until a proper number is
entered, but this is a bit awkward and not very Mac like.

Any suggestions?

david a. belsley
boston college          belsley@bcvax3.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  8 Dec 87 17:49 EST
From: DAVID A. BELSLEY <BELSLEY@BCVMS>
Subject: Simultaneous field scrolling in Hypercard

Has anyone figured out how to make two field scroll simultaneously in
Hypercard?  Clearly while the mouse is down on the scroll button of one
field, no messages are passed, even "idle" or "mouseWithin."  It seems
impossible, then, to pass a message to another, parallel field to follow
along in the scroll.  It can be done sequentially.  The one field scrolls
and, once the mouse is up and idle messages are passed again, the other
field can then be made to set its scroll equal to that of the first field,
but this is hardly a very satisfactory solution.  Furthermore, when the
second field scroll, any selection made in the first field is lost, so it
is impossible to select beyond the showing part of the field.

  The problem is the lack of a "filter" facility while a text field is
active.  Unless I am missing something cute, I don't see a way around this
and would appreciate suggestions.  Otherwise, I hope the Atkinson group is
listening.

  On a related question, is there any way in Hypercard to return the current
cursor positon so that it can be put back into place when a field is closed
and reopened?

  It appears that the "toolbox" text field is not really suited to Hypercard
and that a more sophisticated facility is needed.

david a. belsley
boston college         belsley@bcvms.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 11:33 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: Using StringToNum in LSC

Can anyone help me in how to use StringToNum and NumToString in LSC?  When
I use them according to instruction, they return garbage.  Specifically,

#include "stdio.h"

main()
{
   Str255  str;
   long    bigNum;

   str[0] = '1'; str[1] = '\0';
   StringToNum(str, &bigNum);
   printf("bigNum = %ld", bigNum);
}

gives junk.

Another LSC question.  When I try to load the unix library into a project
that is a resource type, it screams that one cannot have initializtion to
and address in a non-application.  How can one make use of the unix
facilities in this case?

All answers welcome.

david a. belsley      department of economics

Date:     Mon, 7 Dec 87 12:44:39 PST
From: BRUGGINK%UWM.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: hidden folders

I'm setting up a mac-II hard disk which will be used
by a number of users.  Is there a way to prevent one
user from getting at the files/folders of another user?
Is there a way to prevent folder icons from appearing
in the finder (and yet be able to be opened by someone
who knows they exist)?

Thanks, and plz respond to me directly (I'm not an info-mac
subscriber).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Dec 87 15:24:35 -0800
From: duggie@jessica.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Greek Fonts

A professor here is interested in using the Macintosh to teach Greek.
Where can I find fonts for this purpose, as opposed to those designed
only for math?  Will I need resources for keyboard translation?  (I
don't know Greek myself, so don't know how well the characters might
map to an English keyboard).

Please reply to duggie@jessica.stanford.edu. Thanks.

 Doug Felt
 AIR/ CAT Project
 Stanford University

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 87 02:09:10 EST
From: Jeremy Bornstein <JEREMY%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kanjitalk on Mac II

I was about to purchase Kanjitalk from APDA, but I couldn't get a friends'
copy to work on a Mac II.  Does this person have an old version?  Is there
a Kanjitalk compatible with the Multifinder release of the system files?

Also, does anyone know if there is any easy way to switch between the Japanese
and U.S. operating systems on a hard disk?  All I REALLY want from the
Japanese OS is the nice hiragana/katakana/kanji inputting.  (I'm studying
Japanese, not a fluent speaker.)

-Jeremy Bornstein
"stash 'em in the tub"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 87 17:06:04 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr@APPLE.COM>
Subject: Re:  Comments on MultiFinder

>Layer Management
>I don't understand what's the reasoning behind this feature.

I suspect that this is largely a compatibility issue.  Many applications
would become confused if layers were not implemented.  (Certainly, it would
not work to have all the opened windows in 1 large window list.)

Consider Pagemaker or Adobe Illustrator, which depend on having a palette
window available to the user as well as a document window.  Such programs
would  be more awkward to use without layers.

Overall, I find layers convenient to use.  Without them, getting at a Finde
folder might require that you move several windows around, if it happened to
be buried.  WIth layers, you can simply activate the Finder and gain access
to all of its windows.

>Open Documents
>That's okay for today, but I'd like Apple to introduce
>a new event (openEvent) that MultiFinder can feed an application to tell
>it to open another document. Most applications now are prepared to handle
>many documents in parallel, so it should be easy to integrate such an
>event.

That seems to me to be a logical addition to a future Multifinder.  I'm sure
that the people working on Multifinder are considering such extensions.
Although application are prepared to handle multiple documents, they would
have to be changed to respond to this event.

>Shutdown
>names of the File menu and the Quit item. That's not so good: there are
>other languages than English. In German programs the menu reads 'Ablage'
>and the item 'Beenden', so MultiFinder is not able to quit the
>application, and the Finder will not shut down. Perhaps there should be
>still another event (shutdownEvent), that tells an application to quit
>if possible. Changing the mstr 100 and mstr 101 resources will not do
>the job, I often have applications with German and English menus run
>concurrently.

Again, that's a possible extension for a future version.  The current
implementation does provide a feature that many Switcher users have asked
for.  (As you mentioned, this will work properly in non-English systems,
although if you use application written in a variety of languages you will
have problems.)

Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 14:03:55 est
From: irv%marie.Princeton.EDU@Princeton.EDU (Prof Lustig)
Subject: Bad Finder 6.0 "feature"

With previous releases of the Finder, one could select an application and
a file that was created by another application, choose "Open" from
the FILE menu in the Finder, and the file would be opened by the
chosen application.  For example, one could take a TEXT file created by
one application (say EDIT, or EXCEL), and have MacWrite startup with
that file by choosing MacWrite and the file, and then selecting Open.
This no longer works, presumably because Multifinder would get confused.
But it doesn't even work in the Finder 6.0.  I use this feature all of
the time, and now I'll have to find some workaround.  This feature was
especially useful in Excel, where I could open multiple TEXT files transferred
from a remote machine using Kermit, without having to startup Excel
and do a <Command-O> for each of the files.

-Irv Lustig
Dept. of Civil Engineering and Operations Research
Princeton University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 12:39 EST
From: <REWING%TRINCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scrapsaver

Funny about that request for a more recent scrapsaver.  The version that
was posted a long time ago indeed packs it in and explodes under
MultiFinder.  But recently you posted a new scrapsaver that has no version
name but was archived under the name "INIT-ASCRAPSAVER.HQX" that works
beautifully under MultiFinder.  This version is distinquished by its
new INIT icon, and it also throws up an icon on boot showing that a) its
alive, and b) just what data type is currently in the desk scrap
(clipboard). Could this be the magical version that you search for?
It works fine for me.

INTERNET: REWING%TRINCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU-------Richard A. Ewing, IV
Bitnet: REWING@TRINCC---------------Trinity College Mac/Apple ][ Consultant
Compu$erve: [76474,1732]---------Box 1520 Trinity College, Hartford, CT 06106
USENET: ...ihnp4!psuvax!trincc.bitnet!rewing----(203)-524-5152

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 87 21:19 MST
From: "Paul B. Rauschelbach" <Rauschelbach@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Mactivation

Some time ago I responded to an invitation to try out a neural
networking simulation for the Mac entitled Mactivation.  I sent a disk
off to the fellow who was offering it, and have yet to hear.
Unfortunately, I have lost the U.S.  Mail address, and have what appears
to be only a fragment of his net address:
     mike%boulder.colorado.edu@RELAY.CS.NET which comes back to me
saying it can't find the user.  If Mike or someone else with some
information could contact me, I'd appreciate it.

Paul Rauschelbach (pbr%pco@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA)

[
from the moderator:  at my suggestion Paul also  tried
 mike@boulder.colorado.edu
directly (without bouncing it off CSNET) and still had no luck.
Anyone else have information on this?

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 14:18:22 CST
From: Robert Joseph Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Sounds, HFS Backup

>From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU>
>Subject: Two unrelated questions:

>What are the steps in converting a SoundCap or SoundWave
>document to a 'snd ' resource that can be played as a SysBeep?

There are a couple of methods that I know to do this. There is a shareware
program called "sound->beep" that lets you convert the SoundCap/SoundWave
file to an 'snd ' type 1 resource. Also, I believe that someone has developed
an swci resource for SoundWave (an extension of the program) to save sound
files in the correct format.

There is a program similar to "sound->beep" in the Sound Mover Package, which
I just posted to Sumex-Aim. I haven't played with it yet to determine if it
saves files in the type 1 or type 2 'snd ' formats.

Question: does anyone know of a program that can convert between the two 'snd '
resource formats? Does anyone know of a program that can convert from either
'snd ' format back to SoundCap/SoundWave?

>From: Paul Skuce <mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comtps@uunet.UU.NET>
>Subject: Re:HDBackup

>I now use PCPB HFS backup. V1.1. I have v2 but it only works on the drives
>it came with. I belive you can get a version that works on all drives.

Don't use versions of HFS Backup <2.0 if you want a reliable backup of your
files. Version 1.0 had a particularly nasty bug in that it didn't back up all
of the files on a volume, as a local BBS sysop discovered when his BBS crashed
and the file section directories weren't restored. Version 1.1 seemed to back
up all files, but it had some other problems, particularly with the BackupDirs
(if memory serves me correctly).

Robert Hammen   Computer Applications, Inc.     hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN          GEnie: R.Hammen         CI$: 70701,2104

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 10:16:21 EST
From: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Re: <peter@aucs.uucp> Macwrite to Word Conversion Problems

Sorry this reply had to go through the net, but I couldn't email direct.

Peter,
I'm not real sure just what the source of your problems might be, but the quick
and dirty solution would be to save the macwrite files as text only, and then
read them with ms word. It doesn't solve your problem, but I am going under the
assumption that this is a one time only exercise, so it simply bypasses it.

Regards,
tom c

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 87 00:19 N
From: <FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: Re: Dial-up AppleTalk

 > From: MACWEEKBOS
 > Subject: Dial-up AppleTalk
 > Date: 6-DEC-11:31: Business Mac

Ric,

Rich Brown - at Dartmouth College - has written a driver that replaces
the lowest level AppleTalk protocol (ALAP) with a new protocol that
communicates using RS-232.  The protocol - Asynchronous AppleTalk Link
Access Protocol (AALAP) works transparently to the higher AppleTalk
layers.  He describes most of his work in the october and november
issues of Dr Dobbs.

Several companies are doing interesting things with his driver.  Apple
is actually planning on releasing the driver in a neater package - it
comes with an installer DA presently, but it will be changed into a
Chooser device.  They plan on calling it NetAccess and it will be free
(that's what I heard).

Solana Electronics, of San Diego, California ((619) 566-1701) is working
on a bridge that will let you connect an Async AppleTalk network (the
two systems on each end of the RS-232 line) and a standard 230.4 kbps
AppleTalk (eh, LocalTalk :).

Make sure you test any software you want to use on this network!  Since
you're communicating through phone lines, your speed is limited.  You'll
probably neat at least 9600 bps Trailblazers or similar modems.

Rich's software is great - completely compatible - but the speed will be
the greatest problem.  I've tried running Tops on a 9600 bps Async
AppleTalk, but I kept getting "Tops trying to connect to server" timeout
messages.  Nettrek, the network Star Trek game, works fine at 9600 bps
though.

You can reach Rich on AppleLink (A0183) or at (603) 646-3648 ...

   Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:500/15.FidoNet

   Leiden University, Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Dec 87 12:20:35 -0800
From: John Roy <roy@Q2.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: X windows for the Mac

Is anybody out there working on X windows for the Mac?
I saw the messages from Pat Naughton, but it looks like that stuff is
for viewing MacPaint images on a Sun?
Is Apple working on this?

Thanks,
John M.A. Roy
roy@ics.uci.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 87 17:50:58 EST
From: michel jacquemin <jacquemin-michel@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Switching voltage from 110v to 220v

Does anyone know how to switch the voltage from 110v to
220v on the Mirror Tech MagNet30X (the "new" model, sitting
under the Mac).  I didn't find a way to open the transformer
protective case to change it.  I know that this switching was
possible on the previous MagNet30X (the vertical one).
Anyone has a clue?

Michel Jacquemin

| ARPANET: jacquemin@cs.yale.edu (or yale.arpa)        | Eternal Question:  |
| UUCP:    ...{harvard,decvax,cmcl2}!yale!jacquemin    |  Is it a bug ...   |
| BITNET:  jacquemin@yalecs.bitnet                     |  or a feature ?    |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 87 14:09 EDT
From: <DODGE%MIDD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PROJECTION VIDEO FOR MACII

in re your INFOMAC comment posted Nov 24:

Your mention of the "light valve" from GE is in reference to the
Thalaria line of large screen projection systems manufactured by General
Electric.  Middlebury College owns one of these - referred to among
the techies as a PJ (derived from the product model numbers of the line,
all of which begin with PJ-).

Ours has boards for NTSC (3.5 kHz), PAL, or SECAM composite or RGB. It
projects a 20 ft wide image over 62 ft projection distance, and it
has brilliance and resolution which is unsurpassed in the video industry.
When the video is not good, that too is apparent!

There are certain idiosyncrasies to be dealt with: 1) it takes a 45 minute
warm-up period; 2) it needs black masking on all four sides of the image
since the technology casts a green and magenta streak down the side of the
image off the picture area; 3) the price tag (for our options) was almost
$100,000, and the replacement of the lightvalve is just under $20,000 every
4,000 hours; and 4)it takes a factory trained (training included in the
$100K) technician to keep it happy - although it functions well for long
periods of time).

The technology of the optical system is a thin oil emulsion which is
modulated by the electronics to produce a video image through which a high
wattage xenon arc light beam is passed to project.

The HILINE series of Thalaria projectors can handle horizontal scan rates
past 35 kHz (thus, OK for the MACII, but what about the future???). But they
are not multiscan; they are fixed (e.g., selected prior to sale and
manufactured to specification) frequencies. You have a choice of four which
would allow you to have one for NTSC, one for MS-DOS, one for MAC, and one
for MACII - if you have the $90,000.

We have displayed graphics and orthographics using RGB from an Atari to
experiment, and the results were astounding.  Academic computing has not yet
connected an MS-DOS RGB output, but it should be equal or better than
astounding.

Incidentally, the single lens system accommodates a number of different
lenses to achieve the optimum image over a wide variety of projection
distances. This is in contrast to the fixed ration of image to projection
distance inherent in a 3-lens project.

Speaking of 3-lens projectors, you can help me out with a brief comment
about the BARCO you mentioned.  Which model is it? Is it the (ca. $15,000
list price) BARCODATA HR, or is it one of the other current or older BARCO
instruments.  We have experience with the V-STAR 4 and 5 (manufactured by
BARCO, but not designed for scan rates of MAC or MACII), and our eyes water
when trying to discern the characters on the screen - which sounds like your
complaint of "totally unreadable."

I'd appreciate knowing what BARCO model you tried and what the image size
and projection distance was. It would help us out. Thanks. -Jim Dodge
DODGE@MIDD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 87 13:11 EST
From: <ZSQY%CRNLVAX5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Foreign language spell checkers

Here's a preliminary report on our search for foreign language spell checkers:
Deneba software, makers of Coach (formerly MacLightning:
        Eventually, but not real soon.  It may be under development, but it
        sounds like a low priority.

Word Perfect Corp:
        Since word perfect on the PC has a variety of foreign language spell
        checkers we had hopes that the Soon-To-Be-Released Mac version might
        have them also.  No such luck.  Like Deneba, they say it's a future
        plan, but who knows when.

Microsoft:
        Customer service gave a big fat No.  Possibly a subsidiary might
        make one, but doubtful.  Foreign subsidiary, that is.

We got several responses from people on the net, all of whom were eager to
know if any such software existed.  There seems to be quite a demand and
no supply.  Anyone who might profit from such software is cordially
invited to call the speller/word processor company of their choice and en-
courage them to get their act together.

For the moment, if you have access to a Mac, a PC with Word Perfect, the
Word Perfect Foreign Language Dictionary of the require language (approx.
$40?), and file transfer capability, you have an entertaining afternoon
ahead of you.  Otherwise, you're simply out of luck.

        Phil Gross ZSQY@CRNLVAX5.Bitnet
        Linda Iroff ELFJ@CRNLVAX5.Bitnet
"We're on the road and we're gunning for the Buddah..." --Shriekback

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 87 19:43:25 est
From: demers@dmc-crc.arpa (Lewis Demers)
Subject: CDC WREN III and Mac II (Life in the fast track ! )

Hi !

   For those wandering about the CDC WREN III (155 Mb) drives on
a Mac II, just one word, it is GREAAAT ! It takes about a half-hour
to make the cables (with the right tools). I bought the software
(driver, formatter, etc.) from Carl Nelson & Assc.  I formatted
the drive with and interleave of 1:1. I got the drive
and power supply from local dealers. I haven't gotten around to
the box yet !

   The performances are excellent. DiskTimer II results
are :
   Read         27
   Write        64
   Step         7

    I tried "Apple HD Setup" (versions 1.4 and 1.5) to
preprare the drive. It does not even recognize it on the
SCSI bus.  Does any one have any idea why ?

    While testing an EtherSC, the manager program would simply
freeze while scanning the SCSI bus to detect the presence of
the EtherSC.  Explanations anybody ?  This is the only compatibility
problem I have encontered so far for the Mac II.  Mac + owners must
boot from a floppy containing an INIT file that mounts the WREN III.

   I have heard that CDC has a new version of the WREN III
called the MacWREN which is supposed to be compabible with all
Macs.

Louis Demers  ARPA:  demers@dmc-crc.arpa
              mail:  DREV (attn. Louis Demers)
              P.O. Box 8800
              Courcelette, Quebec
              Canada, G0A 1R0

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message are strictly my own
     and do not represent those of my employer.
     I have absolutely no association with the companies
     mentionned in this message other than being a
     very satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 13:38:01 CST
From: Robert Joseph Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Mac X/Lisa Upgrades

This is of interest to those unfortunate souls who still must use the Mac XL
(nee Lisa):

Sun Remarketing, the people who are now in charge of Lisa (as well as Apple
///) support, have released an 800K internal drive for the Lisa. The drive
is able to read and write standard HFS 800K disks. Sun also has a new
version of MacWorks for the Lisa that lets you use HFS. Unlike their
previous HFS patch, you can now boot directly off an HFS disk (without a
"key" disk). The 800K drive & a new ROM chip are $439, but you get $40 for
the return of the old drive cage.

Sun Remarketing, P.O. Box 4059, Logan, Utah  84321
Orders: (800)821-3221   Questions: (801)752-7631

I have no affiliation with Sun Remarketing except having been a satisfied
customer in the past.

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 11:32:41 EST
From: mec@hephaestus.ai.mit.edu (Michael E. Caine)
Subject: LaCie internal hard drive for the MacSE

In my never ending search for the perfect hard drive for the Mac, I
have come across an offering from a company called LaCie, Ltd. called
the `Slot Machine 20'. According to the ad in the December issue of
MACWORLD (pg. 38) and information in an article on hard drives (pg.
110), the drive lives inside the SE without requiring the removal of
one of the 800K floppy drives (and all for $449.99!).

Somehow, this all seems too good to be true. Therefore, my question is
IS IT? In particular, is there anyone out there who has heard about
(or, preferably, bought a drive from) this company, and in particular
the SLOT MACHINE 20 model?

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

mec@hephaestus.ai.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 87 19:58 EST
From: STEWART%SCOVCB.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Macintosh driven security system

Does anyone out in INFO-MAC land know if a programmable controller-type
burglar alarm system is available on the market with a Macintosh interface.
I have heard that you can buy controllers to control turning lamps on and
off, but I am interested in installing my own burglar alarm system that
will dial a security company in the event of a fire or break-in. The
security companies want upwards of $1200 dollars to do an installation of
this type, so I'm looking to save some money by installing my own system.

If possible, I would like to make use of the modem I already have, as
opposed to buying a dialer dedicated to the security system. Thanks for
your help.  I will post any results to INFO-MAC.

Tom Stewart
General Electric AstroSpace Division
Bldg 20, Room 35T20
P.O. Box 8555