[comp.sys.mac.digest] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #146

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Moderators Dwayne Virnau... and Lance Nakata) (12/20/87)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 20 Dec 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 146

Today's Topics:
                            HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!
                   Fortran Bugs in 2.3 MacFortran 020
                C compilers for Cross System developement
                     Shutdown from within hypercard
                         Weirdness with DA menu!
                Background Printing on the ImageWriter...
                    Re: generating PostScript output
       Apprent bug in MacDraw 1.95 or in ImageWriter driver (2.6)
             LightspeedC Libraries version 2.15, in 2 parts
                           Peg Puzzle Pak 1.0
                              Shepard Tones
                       HD Runner 1.4 (in 3 parts)
                           Sound Mover Package
                               JClock INIT
              How to structure a hard disk's desktop (Idea)
                          Graftech (in 2 parts)
                          Christmas Carol Stack
                               ScrapSavers
                             Re: Mactivation
                     Foreign Language spell checkers
                            Alarming options
              Package wanted to interpret mark-sense forms

Date: Sat, 19 Dec 87 20:39:03 PST
From: Dwayne Virnau... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!

A NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR:

  INFO-MAC will be going into hibernation for two weeks while we poor
moderator types take time off for the holidays.  Look for the stunning
appearance of Volume 6 #001 in about two weeks.
  In the meantime, please don't send large files -- I won't be here to
process them and my mail file will almost certainly explode.  Also,
realize that I won't be here to answer INFO-MAC mail, so expect a delay
in any responses.
  And to all of you chuckling that you won't even notice the difference,
shame on you !!  %:{)

  HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!

Dwayne Virnau...
(DoD)

------------------------------

Date: 16 Dec 87 12:33:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa>
Subject: Fortran Bugs in 2.3 MacFortran 020

Just when you thought it might be safe to use Absoft/Microsoft Fortran....

Here are 3 new bugs, two of them quite serious:

1. The ENTRY statement is not supported as specified by ANSI standard.
   Basically, all ENTRY points in a given subroutine must have the same
   number and type of arguments. This is NOT listed in the appendix that lists
   departures from the standard, it is NOT flagged during compilation. The
   code compiles and runs, it just runs incorrectly. How thoughtful. There
   are several work-arounds. My suggestion is just to break everything up
   into separate modules. Ugh.

2. Code like this:
      DO 10 I=1,NBLK
      L=MIN(I*128,NW)
   10 WRITE(IOUNIT,rec=I+PRU-1)(ARRAY(J),J=I*128-127,L)

   Will almost certainly run wrong. The external do loop and the implied do
   in the WRITE statement get in each others way. The external do is ALWAYS
   executed only ONCE, regardless of the value of NBLK. Double plus ungood.
   Solution: terminate the do loop with a CONTINUE statement.

3. The linker, while much improved, has a bug writing out the linked program.
   There is an error in the use of PBRename, so you can only output a linked
   file to the *same* directory as that in which the linker resides. It does
   work, but this is a nuisance.

Hope this stuff saves someone else all the frustration that I have been thru
over the past few days tracking this stuff down. We sure could use some more
vendors of Fortran compilers.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 01:09:39 IST
From: YOSSIE SILVERMAN <RPR1YOS%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C compilers for Cross System developement

Has anyone heard of a C compiler that runs on the Mac that will generate
a standard (if there is such a standard) Object format suitable to be
transfered to a 68000-on-a-board computer such as a VME-BUS compatible
board.  Basically I am looking for a C compiler and/or an Assemler that
would output such a file which could then be downloaded via the boards
monitor into the boards memory.  Obviously I require *NO* Macintosh
system support since the target machine is *NOT* a macintosh.  If such
a creature does infact exist, please send me mail about it.  As usual,
if you should be caught, oh... excuse me, wrong show.. :-)  As usual,
I will summerize any responses I receive.

Yossie Silverman                            "What did the Caspian Sea?"
RPR1YOS@TECHNION.BITNET                            - Saki

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 08:18:26 EST
From: Dave Goldberg <dsg@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Subject: Shutdown from within hypercard

I just got hypercard and so far I like it alot.  There is one thing I would
like to do, but can't figure out how.  If I boot off the provided startup
disk, and quit hypercard, I get the same effect as shutdown.  But I'd rather
use my old system file, and boot off my hard disk.  I've tried setting
hypercard to be the start up file, but quitting it sends me to the finder.
That doesn't bother me, because I'm not the only one who uses this mac and
some of my co-workers prefer the finder.  What I'd like to do is create a
button to call for a shutdown.  I don't know much about scripts myself, but
there are people here who can help me do it if someone out in netland can
tell me what commands the script would have to call to do it.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Dave

Dave Goldberg                ARPA: dsg@mitre-bedford.arpa
The Mitre Corporation        UUCP: linus!mbunix!dsg
MS B015
Bedford, MA 01730
617-271-2460

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 87 11:45:30 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Weirdness with DA menu!

Here's an interesting problem that I hope someone has seen before.  I am
running MultiFinder and Suitcase and someone is messing up my DAs menu.  The
line under the About... item is supposed to be dimmed and unselectable.  It is
not.  Instead, one of the DAs is dimmed.  The DA itself varies, but most of
the time it is Tops, which is 2 down from the line that is supposed to be
dimmed, but I have also seen it dim the Control Panel, which is 8 down, and
right now it is Calendar 2.0, which is 6 down.

I don't have a clue what is doing this, but it seems to only happen under
MultiFinder.  And not when I start up.  I have VersaTerm PRO 2.10 and
Hypercard as the startup applications and it is only after I work for a while
that I see this happening.  If I watch for it, it refuses to occur, making it
damn hard to track down.  Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I should probably point out that this is on a Mac II with 5 Meg of memory and
a 40 meg hd.  I'm running all the latest released software plus the INITs,
SFScrollInit, ScrapSaver, Quote Init, Menu Clock, MFMenu, Tops, & Suitcase.
I also use the Switch-a-Roo FKEY posted here to toggle my color screen back
and forth from b&w.

Any clues?  This is all too damn strange and it looks damn near impossible to
track down.  It just happened somewhere between MPW and Hypercard.  I hate
this sh*t!  Worse!  It is dimmed in the Finder, Hypercard and VersaTerm, but
not in MPW!

Arrrggggg!!!!  Please help!

Jon

 N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
  M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
   F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
     C                           Livermore, California 94550
      C                                (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 16:04:34 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Background Printing on the ImageWriter...

More Backgrounding with MultiFinder:   a    d a n g e r o u s    patch
                                           ===================

How to do a context switch when a "modal" window is the frontmost one...

Some background information: when MultiFinder detects the request for a
context switch, it proceeds only, if the frontmost window isn't a "modal"
window (procID=1 is used by all modal dialog boxes). Unfortunately almost
every application uses a "modal" window for the "Printing in progress..."
dialog. So when you have an ImageWriter, you have to wait until printing
is finished, before you may switch to another program. This is only because
the frontmost window has procID=1.

In a recent posting somebody (I'm sorry, but I don't remember who it was)
suggested to use ResEdit to change all Dialog boxes to procID=something
other than 1. This works, but there are some products (especially from a
corporation called Micr*S*ft), which do  n o t  use resources for dialog
boxes. It is also nearly impossible to patch them, because rumor is, that
they use some kind of P-Code Machine....

OK, so there is no way, but patching MultiFinder(TM):

In CODE segment 3, procedure 30 you'll find these statements, which do
nothing, but test if the frontmost window has procID=1, before doing the
context switch.

0000:                                           ;  some statements...
000A:           _FrontWindow                    ;  get a Ptr to the front-
000C:           MOVE.L          (A7)+,D0        ;  most window and put in
000E:           MOVEA.L         D0,A1           ;  register A1
0010:           CMPA.W          #$0000,A1       ;  Is it NIL ?
0014:           BEQ.S           Label2          ;  If so, we can switch...
0016:           LEA             $007E(A1),A0    ;  Look into WindowRecord
001A:           CMPI.B          #$01,(A0)       ;  is procID = 1 ?
001E:           BEQ             Label1          ;  If so, don't switch
0022:           BTST            #$0007,$0071(A1);
0028:           BEQ.S           Label2          ;
002A: Label1    BRA             Label3          ;
002E: Label2                                    ;  some other statements...

So one only has to replace the one and only occurrence of

      "41E9 007E 0C10 0001 6700 000A"

with

      "41E9 007E 0C10 0001 4E71 4E71"

which stands for the following code:

0016:           LEA             $007E(A1),A0    ;  41E9  007E
001A:           CMPI.B          #$01,(A0)       ;  0C10  0001
001E:           NOP                             ;  4E71
0020:           NOP                             ;  4E71

You can easily apply the change with Fedit Plus(TM).

But why did MultFinder ask for the kind of the frontmost window? I'm sorry,
but I can't answer this question, because I've neither written MultiFinder,
nor do I have access to special "top secret" information about the program.

I only could imagine, that the printer driver won't be that much pleased
with a second request to print a document from another application, while
it is still processing the first print job. Also I don't know, what's going
to happen, if a backgrounding application does a ModalDialog(...) from the
background.

Something is quite amusing: If a "modal" window (procID=1) is frontmost
a n d  the foreground application does a ModalDialog(...), then MultiFinder
refuses to switch, even if the above patch is applied. That's fine.

Let's put it this simple: You must not apply the above patch, unless you
are very sure, about what's going on when you do a context switch. If I
had written MultiFinder, I would have asked for the kind of the frontmost
window, too.

A word of the wise to the usual Macintosh  U S E R:

Don't use this patch.
You trade in a lot of safety against a little bit of multitasking. Especially
this patch is useless, if you have access to a LaserWriter, since the
LaserWriter driver together with PrintMonitor can operate in background.

A word to the Macintosh hackers, freaks and developers:

"A REAL PROGRAMMER can read and disassemble core dumps without a HEX
calculator." So he probably can expect, when he'll get the "Sorry, a serious
....." message, too. According to Murphy, it only happens   b e f o r e
you have saved or backed up your work....

Alexander

The true multitasking environment:

            If it's     there, and you can   see it, it's real.
            If it's not there, and you can   see it, it's virtual.
            If it's     there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
            If it's not there, and you can't see it, it's gone]

Disclaimer: I've no special connections with the MultiFinder developement team.
            All ideas presented in this articel are my own. Nevertheless I
            really would like to have connections to the MultiFinder team.
            Also I'd like to have access to some "insider" information about
            "Next summer the adventure continues: Juggler/2]"...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 16:59:03 MET
From: Norbert Lindenberg - U Karlsruhe
From: <norbert%ira.uka.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: generating PostScript output

It may seem ridiculous, but you have to hold down the cmd-f keys
until the LaserWriter driver comes up with its "Creating PostScript
File" message. I don't know what the driver really does to find out
about your keypresses, but it certainly does not ask for keyDown
events.

 Norbert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 00:59:35 IST
From: YOSSIE SILVERMAN <RPR1YOS%TECHNION.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apprent bug in MacDraw 1.95 or in ImageWriter driver (2.6)

I tried to print a very complicated MacDraw file (with a few thousand
vectors) on an ImageWriter II and I.  System was 4.2, ImageWriter 2.6,
MacDraw 1.95 on both Mac+ and Mac SE.  Each band printed seemed to show
up in mirror image.  It wasn't a perfect mirror image.  Only the gross
scale was mirrored.  It seemed like only the vectors that originated
or ended outside the band were reversed.  Its hard to explain but the
result was anything but satisfactory.  This behavior persisted on both
ImageWriter models and both Macintosh models.  When the document was
printed on a LaserWriter (QMS) using the same system and MacDraw file
and application, the output was correct.

Has anyone else bumped into this problem before?  Does anyone know how
to solve it?  Apple ppl, can you help?  Please send any and all
observations and reports to RPR1YOS@TECHNION.BITNET and I will summerize.

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 12:22:44 EST
From: singer@harvard.harvard.edu (THINK Technologies)
Subject: LightspeedC Libraries version 2.15, in 2 parts

This is the first half of a BinHexed Stuffit file. This file contains
version 2.15 of the LightspeedC standard libraries. Due to copyright
reasons, we cannot distribute the libraries in source form to the
information services, but registered owners of LightspeedC can get a new
LP2.Libraries diskl by sending their name, address, registration number,
and $10 to:

        LightspeedC Library Update
        THINK Technologies
        135 South Rd.
        Bedford, MA 01730

The fixes included here are numerous; however, some specific ones may be of
interest, specifically:

        The math library now works correctly.
        Echo_to_Printer() functions properly
        fflush() of a standard stream will not crash the system
        fopen() returns an error code and NULL file pointer if the open fails

and other nice fixes....

                --Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu                      *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UPGRADE-LIGHTSPEEDC-LIB-215-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UPGRADE-LIGHTSPEEDC-LIB-215-PART2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Dec 87 12:09:53 PST
From: Ali Ozer <ali@rocky.stanford.edu>
Subject: Peg Puzzle Pak 1.0

Here is the executable for a program written by a friend of mine,
Dennis Wildfogel. He wanted me to post this on the net a while ago,
and I'm finally getting around to it.

The program, "Peg Puzzle Pak," is a collection of four peg puzzles ---
"Line O'Pegs," "Pascal's Pegs," "Silver Peg," and "PEGmendous." They
cover a wide range of difficulty levels and should prove to be a lot of
fun for everyone.

The program is shareware, and if you enjoy it, please send a few dollars
to Dennis. His address (and more information) are provided within the
program, in the "About..." box.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-PEG-PUZZLES-10.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 12:38:50 PST
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Shepard Tones

There recently has been a discussion on Usenet of Shepard tones, the
audio analog of the Escher endless staircase.

Here is a Macintosh version of the Shepard Tone effect. The program
lets you go up or down forever, and includes an animated ball rolling
around an endless staircase. See pages 717-719 of _Godel, Escher,
Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid_ Douglas Hofstadter, Basic Books, New
York, 1979, for a description of the sound algorithm.

This program was written in LightSpeed C. I intend to write the code up
for MacTutor magazine. The source code (not provided here) is an example
of:
1.) a sprite graphic system, flicker free, with internal animation, and path
   editing.
2.) a 4 octave 12 loudness 4 channel square wave music system, driven
  by VBL tasks so the music tempo remains accurate even if the animation lags.
3.) an example of the use of Suspend/Resume events (The action pauses
  if you use anything else in multi-finder. Under finder, it runs in background
  while you are using a desk accessory.)
4.) an example of writing multi-finder compatible interrupt service tasks in
  LightSpeed C.

Shepard tones are often used in video games as a way of building suspense:
a melody phrase that ends higher than it began can be played continuously,
creating subconscious tension because we expect music to resolve.

Any similarity between this program "Shepard Tones" and a popular arcade game
that is not available for the Macintosh is purely coincidental, but my ego
would like it if there were a letter writing campaign to _Electronic Arts_,
1820 Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA 94404 saying that you want it for the Mac,
and you know just the programmer to do it. :-)

This version, version 1.0, ignores the volume control. In addition, the
Control Panel's volume control hangs the system if you use it while sound
is playing. Shepard Tones should work on all macintoshes except the Mac XL.
(The Mac XL doesn't have four voice sound, so Shepard Tones will just beep
and exit.)[Late note from the author: Shepard Tones has been tested on a
Mac Plus and a Mac II, confirming the above compatibility note. - Lance]

--- David Phillip Oster            --This sentence is a lifelike replica of
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --one by Douglas Hofstadter.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SHEPARD-TONES.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 8 Dec 87 09:41:22-GMT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: HD Runner 1.4 (in 3 parts)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: HD RUNNER
Date: 8-DEC-1987 05:21 by DEWI

[ Updated 8-DEC-1987 05:21 by DEWI to version 1.4. ]

This is release 1.4 of the "HD Runner" minifinder. It's MultiFinder-
compatible. Shows a scrolling list of all applications, and lets you type
their names (with partial matching) to run them. It already knows where the
applications live - you don't need to manually configure it. New features
include the ability to bind a command key to any application and optional
attached document, 68020 cache control, "hide on suspend" under MultiFinder
(i.e. don't waste screen space when you're not wanted) etc.

HD Runner is a "find application and launch" and minifinder utility.  It
uses the Finder's Desktop file to "know" where applications are, so it
needs no configuration. A scrolling list of applications is presented for
launch.  Only works with HFS volumes, and is dedicated to the memory of the
$PATH feature....

Needs StuffIt to unpack.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HD-RUNNER-14-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HD-RUNNER-14-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HD-RUNNER-14-PART3.HQX

This version replaces version 1.1.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 13:49:41 CST
From: Robert Joseph Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Sound Mover Package

  This is the Sound Mover Package, a StuffIt archive I found on Compu$erve.
It consists of four programs/utilities: a program to convert the standard
SoundCap/SoundWave format sound files to 'snd ' resources: a program,
similar to the Font/DA Mover, that allows you to move the snd resources
around between files (i.e. your System file, HyperCard stacks, etc.): an
INIT that will play snd resources at startup: and a cdev (control panel
file) for the Mac Plus, SE and II that lets you choose an 'snd ' resource
as your system beep. (The Mac II "Sound" cdev already gives this capability
to the II).

Robert Hammen   Computer Applications, Inc.     hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN          GEnie: R.Hammen         CI$: 70701,2104

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SOUNDMOVER-PACKAGE.HQX

UTILITY-SOUNDMOVER.HQX and UTILITY-SOUNDCAP-SND-CONVERTER.HQX are also in
<INFO-MAC>; I will leave them there because they are slightly different
from the Sound Mover Package.  Let me know if you feel this is unnecessary
duplication.

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Dec 87 13:56:41 CST
From: Robert Joseph Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: JClock INIT

Someone was recently asking about the JClock INIT on Usenet, and when I
checked the archives at Sumex-Aim, it wasn't there. So here is the JClock
INIT, which you simply copy to your System Folder and reboot to activate.
JClock will display a clock (hours, minutes, and seconds) in the
upper-right corner of the menu bar. You can temporarily disable the clock
by positioning the mouse pointer over the clock and holding down the mouse
button until it goes away. Despite some claims to the contrary, I've found
JClock to be stable and extremely handy (it shows me I've been reading news
too long!). It does not work well with the Macintosh II in >1 bit (black &
white only) mode.

Robert Hammen   Computer Applications, Inc.     hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN          GEnie: R.Hammen         CI$: 70701,2104

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>INIT-JCLOCK.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: 10 DEC 87 21:45-N
From: RICK%HASARA5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: How to structure a hard disk's desktop (Idea)

Here is an idea on How-To-Structure-Your-Desktop:

For hard disks with lots of files the I find the 'View by Icon'
in the Finder quite inconvenient. You cannot have a window on
screen with *all* your folders then without lots of scrolling.

The MacPaint document here shows how files can be arranged in
a more convenient way. The applications that are used regularly
are on the desktop. There is one window for the hard disk, that
shows files 'by Name', with mostly folders only. This way you
can reach your applications quickly and all of your documents too.

If you name your folders with a unique first character
opening from within the application is easier too. Name the folder
with MacPaint documents 'Paintings' for example. If you want to
open a doc from within Paint choose 'Open' and type a 'P'. This
will get you to the 'Paintings' folder.

Its just an idea, but everyone here is using it now  ;-)

Share and enjoy,
Rick Jansen

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DESKTOP-STRUCTURE-IDEA.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 14 Dec 87 09:37:05-EDT
From: Jeff Shulman <SHULMAN@SDR>
Subject: Graftech (in 2 parts)

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: GRAFTECH 1.0
Date: 13-DEC-1987 22:14 by IAN

This is GRAFTECH 1.0 from INPROTECH.  A simple means of creating
presentation quality graphics.

Unpack with StuffIt.

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GRAFTECH-10-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GRAFTECH-10-PART2.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 14 Dec 87 07:58:37 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Christmas Carol Stack

Here is a stack of Christmas carols played with a digitized flute.
Very seasonal and very pleasant.  A nice example of Hypercard's
music capabilities.

Jon

[archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>HYPERCARD-CHRISTMAS-CAROLS.HQX

- Lance ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 10:41:48 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: ScrapSavers

Well, in between my request for a newer version of Scrapsaver and it's actual
inclusion in a digest, someone posted Paul Mercer's aScrapSaver, which does
indeed work with MultiFinder, unlike ScrapSaver 1.2 which is in the archives.

The archived files are :

INIT-ASCRAPSAVER.HQX.2          <-- works with MultiFinder
INIT-SCRAPSAVER-12.HQX.2        <-- doesn't work with MF

I hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 19:46:48 PST
From: g570907053ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: Mactivation

Mike Kranzdorf will return Mactivation, version 2.02 at least, if you mail
him a 3.5" floppy at :
        U. Colorado
        Campus Box 425
        Boulder, CO   80309

BTW, when I was at the IEEE Neural Net/Neuroscience joint meeting last month,
they kept claiming we were in 'the greater Boulder Metropolitan area' ... is
Denver just a suburb 8^?

Ron Goldthwaite / UC Davis / Psychology & Animal Behavior

Ron Goldthwaite / UC Davis, Psychology and Animal Behavior
'Economics is a branch of ethics, pretending to be a science;
 ethology is a science, pretending relevance to ethics.'

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 15:17 EST
From: <ZSQY%CRNLVAX5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Foreign Language spell checkers

Word Perfect to the rescue!  According to our Regional Marketing Manager
Word Perfect plans to port all of their foreign language dictionaries over
to the Mac in time for the release of Word Perfect Mac (January release is
the latest guesstimate).  The Dictionaries Are (drum roll please)...`
Danish  Dutch
Finnish French
German  Icelandic
Norwegian       Portugese (Real Soon Now)
Spanish Sweedish
Swiss   United Kingdom
Those will be selling for $60 retail, $40 educational.  Education applies
only to those who can spell "Swedish".
Of course these dictionaries will only work with Word Perfect Mac which is
going to be selling for $395 retail.
        If you need foreign-Language spell checking right now, you better
speak Spanish.  Correctamente is a Spanish spelling dictionary by Medina
Software, 2008 Las Palmas Cir. Orlando FL, 32822; (305) 281-1557
They also make SpanGlish listed as a Spanish/English spelling dictionary.
Correctamente lists for $24.95 U.S., and SpanGlish for $32.95 U.S., both
retail.  This is coming out of the Word Processor section of the Winter
1987 Macintosh Buying guide.  We haven't tried either of the programs.
        One person confirmed that there is, indeed, a German version of
Word 3.01, but we think it's only available in Germany.
                        Keep us informed about what you hear,
                                Philip Gross  ZSQY@CRNLVAX5.Bitnet
                                 Linda Iroff  ELFJ@CRNLVAX5.Bitnet
"Dear Mr. Fantasy, Play us a tune,
Something to make us all happy..."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 10:37:20 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Alarming options

Concerning the request for computerized alarm systems, the X10 people make a
burgler alarm unit that interfaces to your existing alarm system (whatever
that may mean) and turns your lights on/off.  I do not really know any details
other than that this option exists.  I recommend checking with Radio Shack,
Sears, Heathkit, or DAK for the module and other more detailed information.  I
have a brochure at home that I can quote at my leisure if you are interested.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 14 Dec 87 12:00 EST
From: V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Package wanted to interpret mark-sense forms

Hi,
     I have a user who is interested in using the MAC for reading
mark sense forms with a DEST page scanner.  We can read the forms
into MACDRAW but we have no way of tabulating responses once its there.
     Thanks in advance!

 (Similarly posted to INFO-IBMPC@SIMTEL20.ARPA)

 Andy Wing  V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

End of INFO-MAC Digest